Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Is there any particular way or program you would like us to use to roll dice? I don't know a lot about them, and none of the one's I could find let you roll multiple dice with a bonus only applying to a single die. Maybe something like this: http://orokos.com/roll/481294 with the first die always being black and the second red, and we just manually add our skill to it would work?

I've never played in a pbp game either :haw:

Orokos is good, and as long as you declare in the roll the order of black and red it should be fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Is there any particular way or program you would like us to use to roll dice? I don't know a lot about them, and none of the one's I could find let you roll multiple dice with a bonus only applying to a single die. Maybe something like this: http://orokos.com/roll/481294 with the first die always being black and the second red, and we just manually add our skill to it would work?

I've never played in a pbp game either :haw:

Sounds like a plan. First die black, second die red. I'm also happy to go for a job, rather than a Score.

As for how I was thinking of justifying firewood being worth actual Bounty? Essentially it boiled down to firewood appearing to have become a scarce goods, and what with the weather being so lousy to predict, we could predict a sharp increase in demand and then try to threaten to undercut the current monopoly haver, who'd be the Wholesaler. This would then equal at least some Bounty from selling all our firewood to them so they could maintain their extortionate monopoly.

I'd also posit that since people leave the Enclave during the safety of winter, they take the opportunity to log firewood and put it somewhere to dry out for next year, before the following year going out to log more and fetch what they logged last year. One such fellow that went out this winter never returned - but Scrapie spoke to someone who swore they heard the sounds of logging at X location that seemed to match the direction of where the guy had been heading. Whatever happened out there, the stash of already-chopped and dried firewood should still be there for the taking.

Since we're not doing a Score though, it's pretty moot. Maybe next mission!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

Sounds like a plan. First die black, second die red. I'm also happy to go for a job, rather than a Score.

As for how I was thinking of justifying firewood being worth actual Bounty? Essentially it boiled down to firewood appearing to have become a scarce goods

Well eastern Montana is in the great plains. You are hours of driving away from the Forests the west so that may have something to do with the tree issue. Not that trees don't exist over here, but it is in groups of 5 or six by water sources. So the score would probably be to find which of the local tree... clusters have not already been logged.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

Well eastern Montana is in the great plains. You are hours of driving away from the Forests the west so that may have something to do with the tree issue. Not that trees don't exist over here, but it is in groups of 5 or six by water sources. So the score would probably be to find which of the local tree... clusters have not already been logged.

As we progress, I hope you'll continue to tell us tidbits like this about your flat, yet fascinating home state. :allears:

*has small forest in back yard*

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Jesus christ, roll 16 for Base price on this. Who knew she was so loaded. Perhaps she has outside investors lined up.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

Jesus christ, roll 16 for Base price on this. Who knew she was so loaded. Perhaps she has outside investors lined up.

Volatile market? Yes, please. :getin:

Assuming all goes well during negotiations, we might actually be making a profit just on the job! That is bar harrowing incidentals like the atrociously expensive fuel, mind... which I checked the rules on, and yes, we pay 4 Bounty per charge of fuel, so opting for safety and skipping 3 legs will cost us, like, 16 Bounty. 1x4B to get there and back, and 3x4B to skip the legs. Nope, I got confused. You spend a charge per leg, you just choose if you want to skip it or not anyway. What's special is that there might be vehicle-specific legs that need extra fuel spent to skip it. So, if there are 3 ordinary legs, we'll be spending at least 12 Bounty on fuel.

How many charges of fuel are we actually starting with, Twibbit? I somehow doubt it's 10/10.

Also, I got confused and calculated my break point wrong. Scrapie looks to actually be at 13 Bounty! And with PaleoBob as our fixer, he's going to cost us 3 Bounty (1 for each Taker) for his retainer. We can probably assume we'll be taking the Truck, too, so that's at least another 4-8-12-16-20-etc (depending on the number of legs), so we need at a minimum 48 bounty to make a profit!

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 2, 2017

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Scribbleykins posted:

As for how I was thinking of justifying firewood being worth actual Bounty? Essentially it boiled down to firewood appearing to have become a scarce goods, and what with the weather being so lousy to predict, we could predict a sharp increase in demand and then try to threaten to undercut the current monopoly haver, who'd be the Wholesaler. This would then equal at least some Bounty from selling all our firewood to them so they could maintain their extortionate monopoly.

I'd also posit that since people leave the Enclave during the safety of winter, they take the opportunity to log firewood and put it somewhere to dry out for next year, before the following year going out to log more and fetch what they logged last year. One such fellow that went out this winter never returned - but Scrapie spoke to someone who swore they heard the sounds of logging at X location that seemed to match the direction of where the guy had been heading. Whatever happened out there, the stash of already-chopped and dried firewood should still be there for the taking.

Since we're not doing a Score though, it's pretty moot. Maybe next mission!

I wouldn't mind attempting a score next if everyone is up for it. It would probably be a good idea if for no other reason than to try out as much of the system as possible. I was actually offering up the lumber yard as a possible location/complication.

Twibbit posted:

:homebrew:

I also have a possible idea for the utility faction in Dead End. The Candle Keepers were a group of power line technicians that found their way to Dead End very early on during the Crash. Largely responsible for repairing Dead End's ravaged power infrastructure in the immediate aftermath of the Crash, and designers of the Blackout Switch, they are the de facto liaisons between the dam and the enclave. They've mostly rendered themselves obsolete since then by training "less important" people to go out to maintain the lines rather than risking themselves. Sensing their relatively sweet ride is nearing an end they've begun to squeeze Dead End for everything it's worth by inflating prices exponentially at every opportunity, with the prices this previous winter bordering on straight up extortion. This has caused a minor rift in the citizens of Dead End between those that can't keep up wanting them tossed out and a new council set up to negotiate with the dam, and those that can and don't want to risk rocking the boat.

The Blackout Switch is a panic system that reroutes all the power from Dead End into the fences. It's absolute hell on both the fences and the power grid, so it's reserved for only the most dire enclave ending situations.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 2, 2017

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Fuel in the Tank: 1d10 7

Not bad

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I wouldn't mind attempting a score next if everyone is up for it. It would probably be a good idea if for no other reason than to try out as much of the system as possible. I was actually offering up the lumber yard as a possible location/complication.

The lumber yard was a good suggestion - and I'd be happy to look into running a proper Score once this is over, assuming everyone is up for it.

quote:

I also have a possible idea for the utility faction in Dead End. The Candle Keepers were a group of power line technicians that found their way to Dead End very early on during the Crash. Largely responsible for repairing Dead End's ravaged power infrastructure in the immediate aftermath of the Crash, and designers of the Blackout Switch, they are the de facto liaisons between the dam and the enclave. They've mostly rendered themselves obsolete since then by training "less important" people to go out to maintain the lines rather than risking themselves. Sensing their relatively sweet ride is nearing an end they've begun to squeeze Dead End for everything it's worth by inflating prices exponentially at every opportunity, with the prices this previous winter bordering on straight up extortion. This has caused a minor rift in the citizens of Dead End between those that can't keep up wanting them tossed out and a new council set up to negotiate with the dam, and those that can and don't want to risk rocking the boat.

The Blackout Switch is a panic system that reroutes all the power from Dead End into the fences. It's absolute hell on both the fences and the power grid, so it's reserved for only the most dire enclave ending situations.

"That drat dam coverage." must be a pretty popular phrase in Dead End by now. This has my stamp of approval! It certainly ratchets up internal tension. What does the Market say?

That could have screwed us so bad.

I approve of your Market style. :allears:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I support the Candle Keepers existence. I am holding up on posting the beginning of negotiations till I know for sure Lala failed the roll or decides to use a reference

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

All right, Bob has 1 in any skill that is relevant to negotiating. You have a mystery number of rounds, each with 1 scam action between them before the final check.

Negotiation rules themselves are on page 186. I know she should open up first, but I am letting you guys do it first this time.

Any player may take control of PaleoBob, but try not to hog him and let other people play as well. You are at Buyer's Market, she is at Expenses.

RP Tips. Bob is pushing 60 but knows his stuff. He makes it his business to know everyone in town and to stay on people's good side.

Scribbleykins posted:

As we progress, I hope you'll continue to tell us tidbits like this about your flat, yet fascinating home state. :allears:

*has small forest in back yard*

Montana is actually very hilly, just without trees until you hit the mountains! Also, It is illegal for utilities to "freeze someone out" in Montana. Neither electricity nor propane can be turned off for failure to pay during the winter months. Though you do rack up debt and they definitely turn off your power in the spring till they are played back. But obviously that matters not after the crash.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to let everyone know I'm going to be incredibly busy the next couple days because of the Super Bowl. I'll still try and find the time to post though, but it may not be until late night.

Sorry about accidentally posting this in the IC thread. I had both tabs open and got confused. I'll go back and edit a proper post into it when I get a chance.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
So who wants to play Bob for this negotiation instead of pulling a scam? I can if nobody's itching to do it.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

Montana is actually very hilly, just without trees until you hit the mountains! Also, It is illegal for utilities to "freeze someone out" in Montana. Neither electricity nor propane can be turned off for failure to pay during the winter months. Though you do rack up debt and they definitely turn off your power in the spring till they are played back. But obviously that matters not after the crash.

Ah. What makes it so tree-less, though?

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm going to be incredibly busy the next couple days because of the Super Bowl. I'll still try and find the time to post though, but it may not be until late night.

Sorry about accidentally posting this in the IC thread. I had both tabs open and got confused.

Yeah, a common practice tends to be to label the OOC threads and let the IC ones be just the name of the game. It being the other way around here has messed with me a couple of times, as well. (though it's not a big deal)

ThreeStep posted:

So who wants to play Bob for this negotiation instead of pulling a scam? I can if nobody's itching to do it.

Go ahead. I'll toss up a scam for Scrapie sometime tomorrow. Probably for trying to sabotage the Second Amendment so we can't be undercut. (or shot)

Remember that our fixer has 1 point of Will and that he might as well spend it since he doesn't have to go on a lethal journey right away afterwards.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 4, 2017

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ThreeStep posted:

Please do :)

I'll try to keep from holding things up to much.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Went ahead and posted my scam while I had the time. It's a little out of order, but it's a Spot check so it shouldn't effect things to badly unless we got absolutely screwed on the round roll. If that is the case, good luck Threestep, and I'm sorry Scribbleykins.

Also, while reading the Negotiation rules again I realized we all screwed up on our Break Point. Break Point is only equal to Sustenance, which is a super important thing to know with negotiations. I might mention this in the Red Markets thread or on the Kickstarter page because it's a little confusing, and it probably wouldn't hurt to just streamline all of that into a single term.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 4, 2017

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

On to the second round!

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Not knowing how many rounds we have to negotiate is tense.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Bit of a fast round there since not much to say as she is trying to get a feel of PaleoBob.
Time for a scam!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So... should we cut Madeline off at the knees here and end negotiations before she gets a chance at pursuing the spot and possibly pushing us back? We're also at the last of our two scams, so either we try to sabotage the Second Amendment (I have an idea for Scrapie here) or we go for a second spot and hope that Bob can successfully defend against the client's spot while employing our own (and that there's another round left of negotiations). That might earn us more in the long run, but increases the risk of failure and/or us getting undercut.

If we sabotage, intimidate and leadership successfully, we'll be safe at Hazard pay. If we defend and push back with our own spot, (and Bob has a will he can spend to make miracles happen) we might get to 100% mark-up, pending how the leadership and undercutting rolls go.

I'm for ending it now and trying to employ will and scam towards securing what we've already got, but going for 100% mark-up would be incredibly rewarding.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 5, 2017

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Scribbleykins posted:

So... should we cut Madeline off at the knees here and end negotiations before she gets a chance at pursuing the spot and possibly pushing us back? We're also at the last of our two scams, so either we try to sabotage the Second Amendment (I have an idea for Scrapie here) or we go for a second spot and hope that Bob can successfully defend against the client's spot while employing our own (and that there's another round left of negotiations). That might earn us more in the long run, but increases the risk of failure and/or us getting undercut.

If we sabotage, intimidate and leadership successfully, we'll be safe at Hazard pay. If we defend and push back with our own spot, (and Bob has a will he can spend to make miracles happen) we might get to 100% mark-up, pending how the leadership and undercutting rolls go.

I'm for ending it now and trying to employ will and scam towards securing what we've already got, but going for 100% mark-up would be incredibly rewarding.

We'll be around 35 bounty at a rough estimate (16 Equilibrium + 10 Labor + 9 Hazard pay assuming 3 legs) which is certainly nothing to scoff at. With some effort put into scavenging while we're out we might even be able to make a little profit. It's probably the smart bet, and has a good chance of obtaining us a little bit of growing money.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling like a greedy guts. Ultimately though, ThreeStep and you are the ones that are going to be trying to pull it off, so whatever you two feel more comfortable doing is perfectly fine.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

We'll be around 35 bounty at a rough estimate (16 Equilibrium + 10 Labor + 9 Hazard pay assuming 3 legs) which is certainly nothing to scoff at. With some effort put into scavenging while we're out we might even be able to make a little profit. It's probably the smart bet, and has a good chance of obtaining us a little bit of growing money.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling like a greedy guts. Ultimately though, ThreeStep and you are the ones that are going to be trying to pull it off, so whatever you two feel more comfortable doing is perfectly fine.

I'll count that as one vote towards going for broke and trusting Bob to pull us through. What do you say, ThreeStep? If you want to aim for the big payout, too, I'll rework Scrapie's scam into trying to pull out another one of Madeline's Spots. I've also got a fairly solid argument for Bob to use against the Second Amendment when they inevitably undercut us.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Go for it, I still have that Will to spend if we need it.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThreeStep posted:

Go for it, I still have that Will to spend if we need it.

Done and... failed and spent will on. It's still possible, at least.

And sure, I could probably have pulled a reference instead of spending a will (and probably should have), but I really wanted Scrapie to scam the spot straight out of our competition. It's poetic, in a way.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

aaaand FINAL ROUND. You just did your last scam!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

aaaand FINAL ROUND. You just did your last scam!

Final round? Awright! This is in our favor - now we don't have to roll and possibly fail an intimidation to cut off negotiations early. Bob only has Persuade/Deception at Dr. Madeline with the Spot, apply Deception against her use of -his- Spot, make the leadership roll, and then make another Deception roll maligning the Second Amendment once they undercut us. It's only four checks on one Will to land that sweet sweet 100% mark-up! Should be no problem! Haha. Hahahaha. ohgod

As for how to malign the 2nds, it shouldn't be too hard - they're renowned Casualty killers. They're just gonna end up killing most of the Casualties she wants to tag and track, obviously. They're like kids in the candy store that way - they just can't help themselves. Why hire five kill-happy gun nuts when she can pay for three far more measured Takers who know what they're doing and will do the job right?

(And Twibbit, don't worry, you handled the soft spot hand-off well - warning some idiot off of his prospect is certainly a valid response to someone professing lovesickness.)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Because I was worrying I was not visualizing the negotiation sheet positions correctly, I made a roll20 campaign https://app.roll20.net/join/1992101/6_dpDA

I am only really going to use it for negotiations or the occasional secret roll when my D10s aren't nearby.

btw, provided you don't really mess up you should be doing fine! Since it does not really matter who goes first since rounds are done simulataneously and I have time, I am going to write up Dr. Madeline Hamilton (Should have been calling her Dr. Hamilton but whatevs) final push.

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 6, 2017

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Dang, was kind of hoping I would make that 2 push. :P

Negotiation sheet won't be updated till Bob makes his push.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
I'll have a post up.later today, getting caught up at work sorry about that.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Hazard pay isn't so bad. After the final Bob post, I will have Madeline post the job details.

But for book keeping if you want to get a headstart on that, job is 4 legs. So you get 12 extra bounty on top of everything

16 + 12 +break point

28 + Breakpoint = payday

28+ 38? = 66

22 bounty each! if I did not mess something up

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 6, 2017

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Wait, fixers have 1 Will and I didn't spend it on any rolls. Is it too late to spend it to flip that second roll?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Hazard pay isn't so bad. After the final Bob post, I will have Madeline post the job details.

But for book keeping if you want to get a headstart on that, job is 4 legs. So you get 12 extra bounty on top of everything

16 + 12 +break point

28 + Breakpoint = payday

28+ 38? = 66

22 bounty each! if I did not mess something up

We're at 38, actually. It's confusing Break Point and Sustenance have two separate names when they're actually the same thing. I went ahead mentioned that on the Kickstarter page, so I hope they see it, or it's at least more explicit in the final draft. Good news for us is anything extra we can pull in while on the job will go straight in our pocket.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Son of a bitch, Bob. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. We expected more from you and your measly retainer of three bounty! :argh:

Bob does have one point of will, though, so I'd like him to use it to flip the dice on the final roll and win the undercutting.

Here's the breakdown, as far as I can see.

First round
Black - Buyer's Market
Red - Expenses

Red moves down two to Hazard Pay. (2 Sway)
Black moves up one to At Value. (1 Sway)

Second Round

Red is pushed back to Expenses (0 Sway)
Black moves up to Hazard Pay (2 Sway)

Third Round

Red stays at Expenses (1 sway)
Black stays at Hazard Pay (1 Sway)

Closing Negotations
Red wins, moves to 100% Mark-Up
Black loses, stays at Hazard Pay

(If this was a Bust game I'd say that a critical failure might as well count as a negative sway, but since it's not, thank you for not screwing us by making this a bust game.)

Undercutting

Second Amendment is willing to do the job for Labor, the step below us. We malign them, using Bob's one point of will to pull through.

Projected Earnings at Hazard Pay

16+10+12

38 bounty

Not terrible! We can also try to sell the gift we got for a few extra bounty at the end of the mission. We'll still want to do some hustling to end up with a profit from this mission, though.

(Keep in mind break point is only Sustenance, not upkeep. Sustenance in our case is 4 for Scrapie, 3 each for Lala and Boy Scout. To get paid for upkeep, you need to get all the way to the magical wonderland of Expenses.)

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

That works for me

so 16 each. Feel free to include the will spend in the next Bob post!

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 7, 2017

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

That works for me

so 16 each. Feel free to include the will spend in the next Bob post!

38/3 = 12.6666, not counting what we'll get when we sell maddie's gift. Which I presume is what we're going to use to tag these Casualties? Or are we provided additional gear?

Also, let's have a final pow-wow OOC and IC before we head off. Who's gonna take the crossbow? I'm thinking Lala, since she's our sniper. And I believe we already decided on a driving setup - Lala in the back, Boy Scout driving, Scrapie in the passenger's seat. Correct? Also, do we want to skip legs? I'm thinking no, we'll want the opportunity to scrounge since we're still, like, 10-20 bounty in the red, especially counting fuel expenses. And is there anything else we need to consider?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

I was tired last night. Sorry

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

I was tired last night. Sorry

No need to apologize! You're doing good so far, especially for someone running a game in an entirely new medium with an entirely new system - one that's not even officially out yet. And, as a long-time PbP gamer, I have to say the pacing on the game has been pretty drat good so far, so kudos to you and the other players. I'm actually used to less of a hustle in these things. >_>

Also, if there's any feedback you'd like to give us, your players, on how we're doing, just tell us whenever. You're allowed to point out our mistakes too, y'know.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Scribbleykins posted:

38/3 = 12.6666, not counting what we'll get when we sell maddie's gift. Which I presume is what we're going to use to tag these Casualties? Or are we provided additional gear?

Also, let's have a final pow-wow OOC and IC before we head off. Who's gonna take the crossbow? I'm thinking Lala, since she's our sniper. And I believe we already decided on a driving setup - Lala in the back, Boy Scout driving, Scrapie in the passenger's seat. Correct? Also, do we want to skip legs? I'm thinking no, we'll want the opportunity to scrounge since we're still, like, 10-20 bounty in the red, especially counting fuel expenses. And is there anything else we need to consider?

Lala with the crossbow, and Boy Scout behind the wheel sounds good. I don't think we should plan on skipping any legs, but we'll play it by ear.

I guess does anyone want to be Mama Abel in a quick back and forth before we start heading out? If you guys would rather just get on the road instead I won't complain.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Just wanted add that I've been having a lot of fun with this. I played in a few games in high school that were absolutely miserable experiences, and I wrote off TRPGs until about eight years ago when a friend bought me Paranoia for my birthday. I've since become enamored with them, but am the only person willing to DM among my friends, so I haven't actually had a chance to simply play in one since then. Thanks everyone!

I was reading through the vehicle rules, to get familiar with them, and noticed we can't start the truck. None of us have mechanics, and the truck doesn't have the reliable upgrade. Would it be okay for Lala and Boy Scout to spend some rations instead to push start it, since they're the strongest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Seeing a slight hitch with our plans here: crossbows have the "specialized" tag and nobody has Shoot: Crossbow.

EDIT: Time for plan B: Sticking casualties by hand. I've got enough roach points left to spend, let's do this.

ThreeStep fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 8, 2017

• Locked thread