Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ThreeStep posted:

Seeing a slight hitch with our plans here: crossbows have the "specialized" tag and nobody has Shoot: Crossbow.

lol This job is turning out to not be simple. Maybe if we're quick we can just run up to them and jab them with the arrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

ThreeStep posted:

Seeing a slight hitch with our plans here: crossbows have the "specialized" tag and nobody has Shoot: Crossbow.

EDIT: Time for plan B: Sticking casualties by hand. I've got enough roach points left to spend, let's do this.

You can in fact stab them. This scenario was actually written by someone else and that method is mentioned. though less safe. After all none of you are latents :P

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

that said, Add reliable to the truck for now.

Lala wants to try and stab a vector... drat Roaches :D

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
The casualties are in torpor, hopefully I'll have enough rations and humanity to survive. Let's do this.

And in the future, somebody should spend an action on "what's the actual job?"

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

that said, Add reliable to the truck for now.

Lala wants to try and stab a vector... drat Roaches :D

Free stuff? I'm not complaining!

As for Lala, good job roleplaying her foot-in-mouth syndrome, ThreeStep, because oh my god no no no.

ThreeStep posted:

And in the future, somebody should spend an action on "what's the actual job?"

What, and risk losing bounty by making decisions based on risk assessment, job compatibility and moral qualms? No thanks! :colbert:

e: Also, we're probably going to waste a few bolts just shooting 'em off into oblivion before we realize how badly screwed we are and that, yes, actually getting them in by hand is our only option. For now, blissful ignorance!

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 8, 2017

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
You all are lucky that I don't need an extra Will because otherwise Lala would be pursuing the vector bonus question with a little more volume.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm going to go ahead follow my easily angered Weak Spot. Anything I could right now that would negatively impact my character would probably derail things, so it's only going to be for RP purposes. I haven't explored it at all yet, and I see an opportunity here.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Are you ready for narration of leaving Dead End. Or do you still have things you want to do in town?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

Are you ready for narration of leaving Dead End. Or do you still have things you want to do in town?

I'm good.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Twibbit posted:

Ready.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
All set.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Cows! We got cows here!!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Let's do some awereness rolls, before Scrapie pops a Specs charge on Research to see who that mark belongs to. Just in case somebody's missing their cows and we can scrape some kind of reward out of reporting their location.

Either way, Scrapie can try to hustle them off the road, since he's a qualified cow-whisperer.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
My dice are hot. I have a bad feeling the first time we get into trouble I'm going to blow my foot off and spend the rest of my days as a buffet. Oh well, it should at least give you two a chance to escape.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
That's what roach points are for, after all.

EDIT: But if you really want to get infected, wait until after we've tagged 3 casualties. Then we can tag your corpse for extra bounty and get your share of the haul!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThreeStep posted:

That's what roach points are for, after all.

EDIT: But if you really want to get infected, wait until after we've tagged 3 casualties. Then we can tag your corpse for extra bounty and get your share of the haul!

And a Self-Control check on Detachment, because stabbing your dead comrade with a radio-tag quarrel instead of preventing them from rising again as a casualty may have consequences for your mental health. Every time Madeline excitedly passes on her findings, you're gonna know one of those blips of hers is your dead friend, forever wandering the wastelands of the Loss as a crude measuring device of casualty behavior. :gonk:

As for the current call, I'm torn between asking for the bounty or the rep spot. In a longer game I'd have definitely gone with the rep spot - since that essentially translates into more money in the long run - but we know we're short on bounty and we don't know if we're doing more than two jobs. Thoughts guys?

Alternatively - does the Market want to offer Scrapie a point of will to just tip Senner about the whereabouts for his cows for 'free', due to the 'Protect the Herd' spot? That's a man's livelihood we've got out here, and that man surely supports - begrudgingly or not - the local communities through his trade. That, and this is literally about protecting someone's herd. :v:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

If you tell him not to mention it, so you get no reward out of it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Scribbleykins posted:

And a Self-Control check on Detachment, because stabbing your dead comrade with a radio-tag quarrel instead of preventing them from rising again as a casualty may have consequences for your mental health. Every time Madeline excitedly passes on her findings, you're gonna know one of those blips of hers is your dead friend, forever wandering the wastelands of the Loss as a crude measuring device of casualty behavior. :gonk:

As for the current call, I'm torn between asking for the bounty or the rep spot. In a longer game I'd have definitely gone with the rep spot - since that essentially translates into more money in the long run - but we know we're short on bounty and we don't know if we're doing more than two jobs. Thoughts guys?

Alternatively - does the Market want to offer Scrapie a point of will to just tip Senner about the whereabouts for his cows for 'free', due to the 'Protect the Herd' spot? That's a man's livelihood we've got out here, and that man surely supports - begrudgingly or not - the local communities through his trade. That, and this is literally about protecting someone's herd. :v:

I'd say take the bounty, because, like you said, we may not get a chance to use a rep spot.

Unless of course you want to go for your will.

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Go for the bounty or will. If I was in your spot I'd be choosing the will, just because I think we're going to need a lot of help with this job :v:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Just a heads up, on the 19th - 25th I will be on vacation and may have limited internet access

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Threestep just mentioned something that I've been meaning to ask about. I didn't bother with any kind of profession, because I thought criminality would cover everything a raider might know. However, I keep thinking up these edge cases where it's conceivably someone that spent years as a raider could have picked it up, but Criminality probably wouldn't cover. Like the mortars, for example, a street tough isn't going to know how to use one, but it's probable that a raider could at least get a shell down range, if not accurately. I was wondering if after we get done with this mission I could buy Profession Raider to cover things like that? I'd play it as Boy Scout shaking the dust off.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Threestep just mentioned something that I've been meaning to ask about. I didn't bother with any kind of profession, because I thought criminality would cover everything a raider might know. However, I keep thinking up these edge cases where it's conceivably someone that spent years as a raider could have picked it up, but Criminality probably wouldn't cover. Like the mortars, for example, a street tough isn't going to know how to use one, but it's probable that a raider could at least get a shell down range, if not accurately. I was wondering if after we get done with this mission I could buy Profession Raider to cover things like that? I'd play it as Boy Scout shaking the dust off.

I would allow that

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
So do we want to try and scavenge the tower/use it as a lookout or move to the next leg?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ThreeStep posted:

So do we want to try and scavenge the tower/use it as a lookout or move to the next leg?

I say we go for the tower.

Is it going to cost gas to drive to it or is it close enough to not matter either way?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I say we go for the tower.

Is it going to cost gas to drive to it or is it close enough to not matter either way?

It is close enough to walk to

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Retrospect, I was not thinking how much I would get out of the cow leg, I just thought of it as an amusing challenge to try not attract casualties. Apparently I need to think more on how players would get paranoid. Properly paranoid because using them to set up an ambush is actually a good idea *writes in his notes*

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

Retrospect, I was not thinking how much I would get out of the cow leg, I just thought of it as an amusing challenge to try not attract casualties. Apparently I need to think more on how players would get paranoid. Properly paranoid because using them to set up an ambush is actually a good idea *writes in his notes*

All that extra threat from getting a well-paying job has to come from somewhere - nothing says you can't add it during the legs and not on the job itself! As people who have been listening to the RPPR podcasts we're crazy paranoid about every little thing, because we know there's a non-zero chance you rolled up, like, ten bounty's worth of extra stash this leg and to balance it all out you've put something really nasty in the ammo shed, because that's why no-one else has been crazy enough to scrounge it first. At least not successfully...

Until we came. We'll be the ones. To successfully do that. Nothing will go wrong. We'll all be rich. The A-word does not even have to enter the discussion. There is no A. There couldn't be. They don't exist. They're just rumors and hearsay. We'll pop this shed open, shoot whatever casualties are inside and scrounge ourselves some sweet gear/laminate. The odds of you having rolled a crit fail for this leg and deciding to bait us into unleashing our own doom are vanishingly slim.

Like, it's only a 5% chance.

e: i can has mathz

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 13, 2017

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of crit fails...:v: Opting against spending my last point of Will because I feel I might want it for any Casualty-related rolls if when we make it to the job site and tapping my tough spot for another Will out in the field is a last-ditch option since it'd probably involve really Leroy Jenkins-ing it up or saying something terrible enough to start some poo poo. Probably a bad idea but we'll see.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThreeStep posted:

Speaking of crit fails...:v: Opting against spending my last point of Will because I feel I might want it for any Casualty-related rolls if when we make it to the job site and tapping my tough spot for another Will out in the field is a last-ditch option since it'd probably involve really Leroy Jenkins-ing it up or saying something terrible enough to start some poo poo. Probably a bad idea but we'll see.

Lala stumbles, falls off tower, lands on shed roof. Shed roof breaks. Lala is now on the floor in the middle of a small shed with an unknown number of Casualties inside...

...is a terrifying idea, but would probably only happen in a bust game. If Twibbit needs any ideas (and doesn't just want to feed us bad intel), I'd suggest you just end up breaking Boy Scout's binoculars, because that's always the first thing you do with borrowed equipment. :v:

Additionally, the combination of slightly broken girl who says things that come out wrong and slightly broken guy who is easily enraged is also a terrifying one, now that I think about it. If Twibbit wanted to, you both could get an offer of extra will right now by getting into a blazing Self-Control-requiring row in the middle of nowhere over a pair of broken binoculars.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ThreeStep posted:

Oh no. If you fall would you mind trying to use your carcass to cushion the binoculars? :cheeky:

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

In case you decide to keep it instead of selling it, I am pretty sure this is specialized. And would take a networking check to find someone that has refresh for it. Just the first time, after that you can use refresh on it like normal since you now have a supplier.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Do I need to make any rolls for moving the sandbags, or can I spend rations for it instead?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

just spend the rations. this is not a really skillful act.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

just spend the rations. this is not a really skillful act.

How many will he need to spend?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

How many will he need to spend?

Sorry, should have said that earlier... 1 should be enough

Hmm, he spent his whole turn so in theory he would get autohit.... but it does not make sense for it to be coordinated enough to attack him immediately... wait I got something. Hold on..

Twibbit fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 15, 2017

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Casualties always go last so just take turns till you are all done one, Boy Scout counts as having done one. Anyways imma sleep. Will gm in the morning

ThreeStep
Nov 5, 2009
Critical failure on top of a rickety old tower? No big deal.
Regular failure to loot a shed? That's totally a good use for will, right?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThreeStep posted:

Hey, if it makes up for the deficit hole that our fuel/reference expenses has carved into our budget, it's all good by me!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ThreeStep posted:

Shattered bones can heal, but there's no fixing lost profit

Thanks to both of you for saving me! If you guys were wondering why I didn't spend a Will on the Athletics check, I thought a lot about it. I eventually came to conclusion that you two would be able to handle it fairly easily. I also incorrectly assumed that there was only a single Casualty in the room.

Mama Abel was right :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Quick comment. You only get the die itself in bounty from looting casualties (so 10, which is still the jackpot!), and you can -only- loot bounty from casualties. Check the difference in "looting the dead" and "looting the undead" sections.

• Locked thread