Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

prefect posted:

That doesn't say she was pregnant when he had sex with her.

troika is a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

oh hey what do we have here

... At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed.

Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Again, not to say I'm friends with either, but I've had some contact with both. It does feel that both of them were in a different spot back then, and dealt with the change in different ways. Even then, they made no secret that being in Russia was basically extending your teenage years, only with more power and less consequences. Drugs, booze, prostitutes and a corrupt decaying society that validated/excused your excesses because after all, you were against it.

Then both had to come back to a place where you can't throw a horse sperm pie on an executive's face trust the establishment to be too drunk/failed to care. Taibbi landed better, thanks to having some better existing contacts and support. Ive heard that the falling out between them was partly due to that, meaning Ames wanted to stay in the region (if not Russia itself) or do another venture together and Taibbi was already transitioning to a more respectable position. That's just rumors, though.

So basically, both had to become adults fast and discover that good writing and the right politics only go so far in making you a tolerable human being.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

exclusive footage of 199X Mark Ames:
https://twitter.com/chrismorrisbits/status/840547186530275328

but at the end of the day:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Ames treated prostitutes with more humanity than you treat your tenants.
I don't think anyone bringing up the underage prostitute story has ever demonstrated any serious concern as to A) whether the person was even real, B) if the events transpired anything close to how they were written and C) how they're doing now. She's useful as something that can be flung at Ames by right-wing and liberal assholes and that's about as far as they will ever bother taking it.

Slow-Scan Shep has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Apr 2, 2017

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

papa_november posted:

I don't think anyone bringing up the underage prostitute story has ever demonstrated any serious concern as to A) whether the person was even real, B) if the events transpired anything close to how they were written and C) how they're doing now. She's useful as something that can be flung at Ames by right-wing and liberal assholes and that's about as far as they will ever bother taking it.

Lol yeah lemme just dial up some rando probably-now-long-murdered lithuanian whore.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Hmm, makes you think maybe we need to spend some real time to second guess if admitted rapists were really telling the truth.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Lol yeah lemme just dial up some rando probably-now-long-murdered lithuanian whore.

Way to prove his point I guess.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Way to prove his point I guess.

Hmm sorry I'm not bending backwards to defend the rapist/liar.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yeah I can tell you really care about it.

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm, makes you think maybe we need to spend some real time to second guess if admitted rapists were really telling the truth.
if you were alive + kickin' in edgelord circles from 1993-2006 you would probably recognize that it was A Thing to come up with the nastiest dark humor possible, including but not limited to rape jokes. early exile was very, very firmly in that territory.

this behavior is now totally repugnant and alien to a post-2008 internet and world, but it used to be everywhere, including this forum. Especially this forum.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm sorry I'm not bending backwards to defend the rapist/liar.

stop raping the thread please

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
just listened to the war nerd interview with the guy who broke iran-contra and its infuriating. the extent to which the nyt, wapo etc went to destroy its own and other reporters careers and have effectively become propaganda outlets for the us government is more hosed up than i even imagined

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

operation mockinbird ftl

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

tekz posted:

just listened to the war nerd interview with the guy who broke iran-contra and its infuriating. the extent to which the nyt, wapo etc went to destroy its own and other reporters careers and have effectively become propaganda outlets for the us government is more hosed up than i even imagined

It seems like an entire generation of journalists internalized the lesson that the media "lost Vietnam" and was a direct cause of the social chaos of the 60's-70's and decided, en mass, to never again criticize or dig too deeply into government affairs.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Nothus posted:

It seems like an entire generation of journalists internalized the lesson that the media "lost Vietnam" and was a direct cause of the social chaos of the 60's-70's and decided, en mass, to never again criticize or dig too deeply into government affairs.

more like an entire generation of journalists got paid/got to have careers for toeing the party line, and if an editor or bureau stood up for them their sponsors and owners would can them

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

tekz posted:

more like an entire generation of journalists got paid/got to have careers for toeing the party line, and if an editor or bureau stood up for them their sponsors and owners would can them

"access culture"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:capitalism:

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011
Army of Darkness is not a war movie... Huge disappointment.

Surprised they didn't talk about Jarhead. I remember it being the sort of war movie that Dolan said would never be made, where it's just infantry following up on a bunch of positions that are bombed out by the air force. Jarhead was basically about the hero dealing with the disappointment of not getting to kill anyone.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's a big siege scene in army of darkness dude

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

How Darwinian posted:

Army of Darkness is not a war movie... Huge disappointment.

Surprised they didn't talk about Jarhead. I remember it being the sort of war movie that Dolan said would never be made, where it's just infantry following up on a bunch of positions that are bombed out by the air force. Jarhead was basically about the hero dealing with the disappointment of not getting to kill anyone.

I think there was a War Nerd column on the Jarhead book, ages ago. It was fairly gushing on it.

The Robert Parry episode is sure to sour your mood for at least a day, no matter how jaded you already are about US media...but having Dolan and Ames doing competing Al Pacino impressions was kind of adorable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol at Dolan taking a date to Das Boot. I did that once too. :smith:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

:siren: THE ENTIRE ROBERT PARRY INTERVIEW WAS POSTED FOR FREE :siren:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/radio-war-nerd-8732460

must-listen podcastin here

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

papa_november posted:

if you were alive + kickin' in edgelord circles from 1993-2006 you would probably recognize that it was A Thing to come up with the nastiest dark humor possible, including but not limited to rape jokes. early exile was very, very firmly in that territory.

this behavior is now totally repugnant and alien to a post-2008 internet and world, but it used to be everywhere, including this forum. Especially this forum.

What part of the story do you think is a joke/humorous though?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Pener, do you have any clear memory of which RWN episodes are essentially repeats? I feel like I hear a lot of the same points in different episodes (e.g., Russian bombing campaign working despite Western media reactions, ISIS being young hotheaded jocks who have no lives/empathy, etc.).

You have a good list of "must listen" episodes but I heard reference to other interesting material like their podcast on the Nagorno-Karabakh war. I just wanna skip the episodes that rehash old information

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Yossarian-22 posted:

Pener, do you have any clear memory of which RWN episodes are essentially repeats? I feel like I hear a lot of the same points in different episodes (e.g., Russian bombing campaign working despite Western media reactions, ISIS being young hotheaded jocks who have no lives/empathy, etc.).

You have a good list of "must listen" episodes but I heard reference to other interesting material like their podcast on the Nagorno-Karabakh war. I just wanna skip the episodes that rehash old information

There's no way to tell, because the news segments are going to retread some old material. It'd be nice if they timestamped the segments for each episode.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The episode on the Russian-Georgian war is one of their better ones, especially since Mark witnessed it first-hand.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Nagorno-Karabakh war was discussed in episode 29. The episode is from before they had proper audio recording equipment so make sure you've got decent headphones or can turn up your speakers before listening. The first time I tried to listen to this ep I was biking through a park and the wind whistling through my ears made it impossible to hear anything they were saying.

You can also access a pdf version of the book they use as the basis for the discussion here.

Ep 40, on the Ethiopia-Eritrea War, was also interesting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I want to like them and there are some really good episodes(iran iraq war, ww1 Italian front) but holy poo poo, they bend over backwards to suck putin and assads dicks. like i get the view of there are no good/sane factions in syria, but everything is apperently a western/american lie and it comes off as very tankie/ameriKKKa at times. this is coming from someone who likes chapo and other left leaning poo poo and is mixed about the russia conspiracy poo poo.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I like the retreads because they're mostly about Syria which is the most interesting thing going on ATM.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I want to like them and there are some really good episodes(iran iraq war, ww1 Italian front) but holy poo poo, they bend over backwards to suck putin and assads dicks. like i get the view of there are no good/sane factions in syria, but everything is apperently a western/american lie and it comes off as very tankie/ameriKKKa at times. this is coming from someone who likes chapo and other left leaning poo poo and is mixed about the russia conspiracy poo poo.

Can you give some examples?

Most of the stuff I heard (And I listened to few episodes, so my sample is skewed) mostly describes Russia/Putin as smart but thuggish, like a capable mob boss. Ames went so far as so openly say that it was russians or one of their aligned militias that shot down a passenger plane in Ukraine. Their line seems to be that there is a method to Putin's actions, and that blaming everything from Bernie to the election to ISIS to Brexit onto Moscow works mostly to boost a cadre of DC hacks back into the spotlight.

It's not that different from Iraq pre-2003, in my book. Not a nice place and not a nice ruler, but there was a big interest in hyping it as a Big Threat that was half hysteria and half naked self-interest by the usual suspects.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They're completely right about all that stuff.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They're definitely not pro-Putin- the Russian government shut down their paper and basically ran Ames out of the country. But they do have a clear affinity for the Russian people (Mark's wife is Russian), and they don't buy into the Western Russia hysteria. Especially since most of it is really hamfisted and nakedly biased.

As for Assad, again, they mostly point out the other side of the story, especially since Western media is constantly painting Assad as some kind of Hitler when the West's proxies are Sunni Wahabists that are just as bad. Especially with many of the Western sources being directly funded by the Saudis and Gulf States. If they are fanboys for any side in Syria, it's the Kurds. But, again, they're up front about their biases (Dolan taught in Iraqi Kurdistan for a while during the American occupation).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nothus posted:

They're definitely not pro-Putin- the Russian government shut down their paper and basically ran Ames out of the country. But they do have a clear affinity for the Russian people (Mark's wife is Russian), and they don't buy into the Western Russia hysteria. Especially since most of it is really hamfisted and nakedly biased.

As for Assad, again, they mostly point out the other side of the story, especially since Western media is constantly painting Assad as some kind of Hitler when the West's proxies are Sunni Wahabists that are just as bad. Especially with many of the Western sources being directly funded by the Saudis and Gulf States. If they are fanboys for any side in Syria, it's the Kurds. But, again, they're up front about their biases (Dolan taught in Iraqi Kurdistan for a while during the American occupation).

ok, i need to listen to more then.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The overwhelming value of RWN for normies is that it does a really good job underlining how the Western media actually is biased. They really do excuse or ignore Western aggression, atrocities, and misdeeds while pushing those of foreign powers opposed to America to the extreme. No, they're not equivalent to RT, but they have a strong ideological bias. What they're saying isn't really any different from what a way less edgy guy like Noam Chomsky is saying; they just don't mince words about it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ok, i need to listen to more then.

It's good to be aware of the biases of your news sources. I don't hold up the RWN guys as sole arbiters of The Truth, but I do appreciate that their perspective helps balance out what I get as mainstream news as an English-speaking American.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

To the extent that they seem to "apologize" for Russia, it's more that they smelled the bullshit coming from a mile away vis-a-vis the early reports of the Russian intervention failing and predicted that it would in fact succeed. They also make clear that some of Syria's minorities are under threat by extremist Sunni militias, and that Assad is a bulwark against that.

Also, RWN even cheered the U.S. bombing ISIS around Rojava, so I think their bias is especially pro-Kurdish/anti-ISIS more than anything else.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Yossarian-22 posted:

Also, RWN even cheered the U.S. bombing ISIS around Rojava, so I think their bias is especially pro-Kurdish/anti-ISIS more than anything else.

That, and very anti-British when talking about historical wars, on Dolan's side.

Which is not hard to understand given 1) how vile and far-reaching the brits were during their Empire and 2) how everyone just basically forgot it even while it was happening, let alone now.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dolan's Irish so yeah. I definitely agree that as a whole the British were the vilest Empire in history though

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is there a podcast feed for this somewhere that I can plug into iTunes? Got a long car trip coming up and it would be nice to not have to gently caress around with Safari at 70 mph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Eschatos posted:

Is there a podcast feed for this somewhere that I can plug into iTunes? Got a long car trip coming up and it would be nice to not have to gently caress around with Safari at 70 mph.

The RSS feed is embedded in the newsletters. If you haven't gotten a newsletter yet, send me a pm.