Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sucks that we're going to definitely keep nuclear weapons but not nuclear energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nothus posted:

I don't know how you can look at recent world history and conclude that humanity is responsible enough to have nuclear power.

Same but chemical engineering.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Humanity isn't responsible enough to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

truly a cautionary tale for all sub-sapient life forms out there

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Using the last years before societal collapse to build robots that write "TURN BACK" on every shore.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

brugroffil posted:

Sucks that we're going to definitely keep nuclear weapons but not nuclear energy

The Venn diagram between "countries with nuclear weapons (or a strong desire to acquire them)" and "countries relying on nuclear energy" seems to be a circle, so I doubt that's going to happen.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

The US is pretty quickly shuttering plants and there will never be any more built

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

Peggotty posted:

The Venn diagram between "countries with nuclear weapons (or a strong desire to acquire them)" and "countries relying on nuclear energy" seems to be a circle, so I doubt that's going to happen.

Do you believe commercial power plants are some how involved in nuclear weapons production? They are not. This is some Iran is seeking nuclear weapons conspiracy poo poo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1479458921660231681?s=20

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I saw Yasha Levine's tweet and immediately thought "the goons will be displeased"
https://twitter.com/yashalevine/status/1479190536888094725?s=20

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I like big cooling towers and cannot lie.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

you can dump nuclear waste down my rear end in a top hat if it means there's enough electricity for vidja games

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chairman xi, you are doing it wrong

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lmao Ames being incredibly anti nuke is not surprising. Maybe he thinks radioactive ticks will give him long Lyme disease.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Greg Legg posted:

It finally happened to me. In what I hope will become a war nerd tradition, I was momentarily locked in the bathroom at work today

I feel that every War Nerd fan has some story to share about becoming locked in a bathroom and the despair that resulted from it

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was accosted by a wasp in my bathroom in a bed and breakfast in Windermere in the Lake District

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

It's a generational thing. Gen X and Boomer leftists hate and fear nuclear power. Millennial communists want to harness the mighty power of the ATOM

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_nuclear_reactors

bangladesh is getting their first couple starting up next year

the different countries' approaches are so different. check out india/france/china contrasted with germany/japan

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A Russian troll farm posted:

It's a generational thing. Gen X and Boomer leftists hate and fear nuclear power. Millennial communists want to harness the mighty power of the ATOM

Fission is risky, but We have no choice at this point. Fusion is eternally x years away, renewables are not as scalable, and are likely to have problems with changing weather, and are land intensive.

fission is already a (relatively) mature technology, we merely lack the will to use it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raider legacy claims another victim:
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1482485849178652674?s=20

New episode is back to form baby. I'm loving loving the "Northern leaders were all traitors" thesis developing. Also, John makes the injury sound even more excruciating on the show than he did in that post.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Russian troll farm posted:

the former also haven't come to terms with climate change and probably never will.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yes nuclear energy is perfectly safe and good if you maintain the policy of firing everyone who tries to report an accident. It's been a perfect system for a long time now.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

Yes nuclear energy is perfectly safe and good if you maintain the policy of firing everyone who tries to report an accident. It's been a perfect system for a long time now.

At least with nuclear power you have to actively try to use it to end human civilization.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

New episode is back to form baby. I'm loving loving the "Northern leaders were all traitors" thesis developing.

It rocks and the more episodes we get the more correct he is. Feels like the South lost in terms of losing slavery but just keps getting wins for the rest of American history.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

nuclear power is a no brainer gently caress. Go look at some videos of melting glaciers and tell me how awful nuclear is.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Raider legacy claims another victim:
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1482485849178652674?s=20

New episode is back to form baby. I'm loving loving the "Northern leaders were all traitors" thesis developing. Also, John makes the injury sound even more excruciating on the show than he did in that post.

Mark Jr. is growing up in Rochester, so his choices are either the Raiders or the Bills. Sorry kid, that's the rule.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Pryor on Fire posted:

do you think every nuclear reactor is operated like chernobyl or something what the gently caress are you talking about

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Atomic Accidents by James Mahaffey is a pro-read because the title probably makes a bunch of anti-nuclear types buy it but the book is about how much nuclear power owns despite the accidents which have occurred, each of which being covered in detail

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

friend of the show Carl Zha has been having a kitten emergency

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1483978676203298817?s=20

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1484849100256575489?s=20

Eating solids, playing Fallout 2 mods. Pretty sweet.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat what's his username

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dreylad posted:

the former also haven't come to terms with climate change and probably never will.

the latter?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Remulak posted:

the latter?

i'll make the case: at least the boomers had ideologues that made dumbass communes compared to the nihilists a few years later

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Equation is simple.

Power of the soviets + electrification of the country = Communism.

And you can't have the electrification without nuclear power.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallout 2 Total Conversion players are the true international patricians.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
carl zha is the biggest chad ive ever seen in my life. last time i checked his twitter a few years ago he was challenging chinawatcher nerdlingers to sword duels

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I've read the op but didn't see. Did they do any episodes on the Korean war? I'm listening to the last Carl zha episode but it'd be cool to get one that just focuses on Korean war

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They've done the goryeo war from the 10th century and they talked about it I wanna say during the trump trip. But nothing on the on going war in korea no.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i love whenever mark and john poo poo on blinken for playing guitar, always cracks me up just so much disdain for him

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Blinken is an absolute piece of poo poo who bears an immense responsibility for America's failed Russia policy, yet we're still supposed to take him seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A. Blinken

(say it out loud)