Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
The international stream has always been good for me, but I'm on 100mbit.

And you don't need a VPN, just a DNS proxy such as http://www.getflix.com.au/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Da da da da da

(Still think Melb vs Dogs should have been the first game to give one of the pioneers the first victory, but I enjoyed watching the Blues get it.)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

thepokey posted:

Photos of people climbing over the walls to get in after the lockout is insane. Anyone who thought keeping it at the original ground was mad.

There are going to be some sore bodies tomorrow! It was a bit fumbly and I imagine a lot of nerves but man that was hard and Vescio and Jakobson were awesome. And really good to see Sarah Hosking out there and hopefully Jess can join soon

Can you link these photos?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Ha thanks pokey

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I stopped watching NFL because of how the league is handling the concussion issue, but I enjoyed the sport beforehand and have a couple of observations about the "time ball is in play" issue:

1. I'm a big test cricket fan and I wonder how long the ball is in play there, too
2. The few seconds that any individual play takes is action-packed, heaps is going on, all of the players are putting in 100%. So while the gaps are boring, the playtime never is, unlike footy or soccer or even rugby.
3. You can download it after with the gaps cut out, and it's a great watch

That's my story, I hope you liked it.

edit: yes the overtime rule sucks, it has been changed

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 7, 2017

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Watch AFL trip report

I just started using this today, apologies for whatever I said a few pages ago, it's irrelevant now. And apologies if anyone has already shared the following info.

General:
  • This is an entirely new site, the AFL has given it over to Fox Footy to run. The old site redirects here, though.
  • I wasn't able to use my old login details, I had to sign up with a new account.
  • I put in my CC details for a season, but it won't charge me until March 23rd, and I can cancel beforehand.
  • It still works fine using Getflix (and presumably other DNS proxy services), I don't have to use a VPN.
  • It's essentially just the Fox Footy channel, so you can stream it 24/7 and watch all of the footy shows etc. No more repetitive highlights packages during breaks! Although that means ads.
  • You can watch the footy shows on demand.

Performance:
  • Speedtest.net says I have a 95Mbps connection, and the site recommends 5Mbps, but it keeps buffering for me when I have it set to the 5.4mb quality setting.
  • It works for me seamlessly at the 4.3mbps setting, and looks pretty good too. But no doubt this will vary greatly.
  • Edit: now it's working nicely at the top speed
  • The 'Auto' quality setting is pretty useless, it's a pixelated mess always unless I set it manually to a speed.
  • When switching quality settings it can become unresponsive, I've been switching and then pressing F5 and it works immediately.

So, it's a mixed bag. I love that it's just the Fox Footy channel now without needing Foxtel, but the performance and responsiveness needs to improve. I am optimistic, though, as previous pre-seasons have had similar issues that they've ironed out by the time the season proper comes. Maybe they scale it up as more people sign up. Dunno, but I'll keep checking in on it and make a call before March 23rd.

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 11, 2017

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

realbez posted:

Stupid question probably, but you can watch full match replays right?

Yeah, seems to be. I can go to any of the previous matches in the 'match centre' and watch the games.

thepokey posted:

Yeah I tried hooking the laptop up to TV with HDMI last night for the game and while the speed was fine with no buffering it was that pixelated mess where half, or at least the bottom third of the screen would look awful. Didn't play around with the settings though which I should have but at least it ran smoothly. Will give it another go with lower settings next time

Yeah you can manage it by playing around with that. They really have to fix it, though, and have enough bandwidth for me to run it full tilt, if I'm going to continue with it after March 23.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Footy is great

AFL360 is great, love seeing Gerard Whateley humouring his drunk uncle four nights a week. Guy has the patience of a mountain.

Footy is great

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

TG-Chrono posted:

i am piss and carlton no play, lachrymose art i

shel be bak

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Hawks generally have a strong advantage there but the saints have played there a bit, and still have a decent following in Tas from the baldock days. Any time two vic teams play there the crowd isn't as partisan as when a 1987-on expansion team comes.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
That's not the reason St Kilda won, but it wouldn't have hurt.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Was at the Crows v North game, it was loving bizarre, there was no wind.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I'm a big proponent of simplifying rules rather than adding more, but if last touch were a free against would we see players shepherded away from the ball on the wing so that it does go out, putting us back where we started?

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Say a player kicks to a two-man contest on the far wing. One player needs to mark it to get a free, the other can mark it or muscle the other away from it to let it go out. So I think it would result in the wings being used less.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Although i suppose that's already the case with on the full.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Bulldogs, hey?
https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Carlton would be the Blue Heelers obvs

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
A blue heeler crossed with Ron Barassi to give it a bit of mongrel.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
a Saint Bernard carrying some Rum Sixty Six

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
sleep tight pupper died, thanks for bringing up that sad memory

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Volkerball posted:

They set normal sized people on fire too? Jesus Christ.

Thread saved

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

gabensraum fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 21, 2017

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Thanks, I was just doing it for this purpose. I'm not a gambler at all, a friend was giving me tips and I was getting increasingly frustrated when they weren't cutting me off as soon as I was expecting based on what I'd heard! Got there in the end.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

realbez posted:

I... I still believe

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

markgreyam posted:

FTFY. Eternal mentally scarred from 1993 when we threw away a solid lead to Essendon in the prelim and then watched them walk all over a Blues side that barely turned up. The fart that cost a premiership.

Don't forget kicking 8.20 in the semi against Carlton the week before that also would have sent you straight to the granny.

The week before that Carlton beat Essendon by two points in the qualifying final. Strange, entertaining finals series that one. Probably because like this year it was a really even ladder.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Really enjoyed the Carlton vs Dees game today despite the result. Probably helps that we couldn't make finals anyway.

Entertaining and some really good passages from both teams. Poor decision making from both teams too, especially late, but most of that was panicking under pressure.

Tom McDonald is great, I've never really paid him a lot of attention before. He was the difference today.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Umpiring did seem inconsistent yeah

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I have talked about enjoying my WatchAFL sub before, it's good. I did the Foxtel Now trial and it was fine but HAD ADS BETWEEN GOALS GET hosed

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

NPR Journalizard posted:

*purchases product from unrelenting moneywhores*
*is surprised when unrelenting moneywhores try to squeeze more money from product*

this is p much me yeah

But on a point of order, the product i purchased from unrelenting moneywhores is good, it was the product i trialled from same moneywhores that made me sad

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

NTRabbit posted:

I just realised all of the draftees from 2018, 2017, and 2016 weren't even born when McLeod won his Norm Smiths :negative:

I'm going with "Norms Smith"

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

sydney politics confuses and infuriates me

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Sounds like the grand final has been decided, wrap it up Victoriailures

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm having an existential crisis, I just found out Marc Murphy is 30

You're worried! He's the lynchpin of my fantasy team!

and seven years younger than me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Trip report: called Carlton membership to cancel mine before the deadline, gave my reason as the weak statement to marriage equality, the staff member was apologetic and unsurprised, sounds like it was a common complaint.
Not that they'll notice my $60 token membership missing.

• Locked thread