Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Yewww come on AFLW! so excited. Decided to pick up the doggies since the eagles don't have a side.

Loving how tough the women are playing! Gonna put to bed a lot of misconceptions about women's sport.

Anyone interested in WatchAFL streaming, if you use the coupon code PRESEASON17 then it's free until the mens round 1, including the women's coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

The handballing I've seen on display in the women's games so far has been considerably poorer than the mens, is that an upper body strength thing or because handballing is a more difficult thing that benefits from added years of training? Either way I'd expect that to improve in the next couple of years.

I'd love to see the stats, but I feel like the handball:kick ratio has been much heavier on the kicking side than is typical.

Generally the kicking has been ok though.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

How tall are we talking?

I noticed a lot of the players looked really short, would love to know the averages

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

According to some random website I found, in Australia a height of 190cm would put a woman in the 99.996th percentile, meaning only one in 27300 are taller.

Only one in 445 women are taller than 182cm

There you go. I'm 182 and very very rarely meet women taller than me, that explains why

Fun to play with:
https://tall.life/height-percentile-calculator-age-country/

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Opinions itt really bad regarding those AFLW rings, they're ugly as poo poo. Diamantes? Really?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Funny how many players i forgot switched teams. Cloke punishing collingwood is hilarious

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Sloppy start from the eagles, they look tired

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Eagles lucky with some umpire calls, but mostly just held their nerve in the last quarter, and looked more fit tbh

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

How do you run out of fitness in round 2?

Saints were playing their arses off in the first three quarters, they just forgot to leave something in the tank

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

North should get AFL sanctions if they pull a stunt that dumb

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

The Monthly posted:

AFL 2017 in names only

By Hugh Robertson, https://www.themonthly.com.au
View Original
March 31st, 2017

Names suitable for minor characters in a Charles Dickens novel
Darcy Parish, Brandan Parfitt, Harry Perryman, Harrison Wigg, Tom Ruggles

The Ks have it
Keegan Brooksby, Kristian Jaksch, Kayle Kirby, Kade Kolodjashnij

Give ’em both barrels
Jesse Glass-McCasker, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Josh Deluca-Cardillo, Sam Powell-Pepper

The annual Jarrad census
Jarrad (4), Jarryd (3), Jarrod (5), Jared (1), Sharrod (1), Jarryn (1), Darragh (1)

The times, they are a …
Brayden (3), Braydon (1), Jayden (3), Hayden (2), Kaiden (1), Aidyn (1)

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the …
Dayne, Zaine, Blaine, Kayne, Kane, Wayne, Jamaine

*desperately immature giggle*
Mason Cox, Tyson Goldsack, Tom Doedee, Steele Sidebottom, Aaron Mullett

Yes mum?
Harry Dear, Jack Darling

Obvious aliases of superheroes
Cedric Cox, Harrison Himmelberg, Brady Grey, Tristan Tweedie, Dean Kent, Jack Steele

Footy player or make of car?
Jaeger, Suban, Hrovat, Bewick, Fiorini, Preuss, Varcoe, Strnadica

Imperatives
David Swallow, Billy Stretch, Brad Crouch, Tom Lynch, Dean Gore, Luke Shuey, Jarrod Pickett, Scott Selwood

Names suitable for the protagonist of a Banjo Paterson bush ballad
Darcy Tucker, Billy Longer, Dougal Howard, Mackenzie Willis, Jack Scrimshaw, Jack Fitzpatrick, Billy Frampton, Fletcher Roberts

Names suitable for a new housing development in Sydney’s north-west
Blake Acres, Levi Greenwood, Bradley Hill, Bailey Dale, Fergus Greene, Dean Towers, Easton Wood

Six degrees of Dawson Simpson
Jordan Dawson, Liam Dawson, Zac Dawson, Dawson Simpson, Kade Simpson, Sam Simpson

May the force be with you
Wylie Buzza, Griffin Logue, Ivan Soldo, Tarir Bayok, Cameron Zurhaar, Maverick Weller, Roarke Smith

The Orazio Fantasia perpetual trophy for best new name
Quinton Narkle

Great names to shout when they take a speccy
Matthew Uebergang, Tim Broomhead, Jarman Impey, Myles Poholke

lol

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

wow is this seriously an advertisement for coal

Periphery posted:

What the gently caress was that coal propaganda ad.

came to post this, wtf foxtel, gently caress youuuu. and the ad right after it is a bullshit sexist mechanic ad. Feel like I fell asleep and woke up in the 50s.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

the coal ad has been around since last year. even more baffling was one group doing an anti abortion ad on channel 7 after a game last year

Ah right. The watch afl international subscription was afl run last year, with no ads, this year it seems to be run by foxtel, so we get their lovely ads. Lame

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Hawks making the suns look like a really good side lol

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Volkerball posted:

The suns are making them pay for every little mistake. It's a legit good performance by them imo. Wouldn't expect it to be a trend tho.

Yeah don't get me wrong, suns played a ripper. In that form they could push just about any team. I genuinely hope they can keep it up, i feel bad for any team that has so little success

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

So wasn't kreuzer meant to be the next big thing? How'd he turn out?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Tom Lynch, maybe even better than Quentin Lynch???

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

That's what I meant, you obviously can grab it off your own boot I just didn't think it should be paid a mark

quote:

>14. MARKING THE FOOTBALL
14.1 DEFINITION
A Mark is taken if takes control of the football:
(a) within the Playing Surface; and
(b) after it has been Kicked by another Player a distance of at least 15 metres; and
(c) has not touched the ground or been touched by another Player
during the period when the football was Kicked until it controlled by the Player.

It's a mark yo, not of his own kick, his kick was just a juggle on the way to marking the longer kick. You're allowed to juggle marks as long as you control it before it touches the ground or another player

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

cmndstab posted:

How many times has North done that now in the last few years? It's staggering how often they manage to lose unloseable games in the last minute of the match.

They said a stat during the commentary, only won something like 4 out of the 18 games they've been in that ended with less than a goal's margin (can't remember exact stat, but it was pretty damning)

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

What the loving gently caress. Channel 7 should fire somebody

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

racing identity posted:

Remarkable that he survived the cleanout last year

Astounding that they kept him but dropped boomer, who looked like he'd be a genuine match winner for 1-2 more years

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Periphery posted:

I can't think of any dogs that would be good to represent the Saints.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFLPA forced broadcasters to agree only to highlight the top players in any given stat not the bottom ones

That's pretty fair, don't want it to turn into a mockery of the slower players, wouldn't be good for mental health, might even pressure slower players to run more and risk injuries

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Literally nobody would object to fremantle rebranding as the freo doggos

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Just watched the last quarter of freo Richmond... With one minute to go, I couldn't believe it was going to happen even though I knew the final scoreline. I'll never understand how teams can lose in this situation, why didn't Richmond have every player behind the ball?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

snaeksikn posted:

Elliot Yeo is now leading the AFLCA voting

He's having such a breakout season, I really hope he can keep it up. Could be a brownlow in the works.

Now we just need redden to live up to his potential to really twist the knife for Brisbane fans

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I'm gonna have to order me some of that passiona stuff to see what all the fuss is about

I'll send you a bottle when I get back to Australia in august, if you remind me and nobody else has done it before then

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Reddit saying that Hogan's surgery went "extremely well"

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Josh (weagle) Kennedy has done something to calf/achiles. Wet Toast are gonna be in trouble going forward.

Yeah, we hosed. Forward and back dominance was how we won, back line can't do it all by themselves. Midfield is rubbish

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah gently caress the runners, I can't remember the exact game, but there was one game last year where I noticed runners guarding space on almost every single kick in, it was sooo obviously cheating, but technically within the rules. loving bullshit.

Removing runners will make the game better, and simpler.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Nutsngum posted:

Goes to show how many of you blokes have actually played footy. You can barely hear poo poo out there and any kind of real structural change requires a runner.

The AFL's ability to find answers to problems that dont exist is obviously leaking.

Also that was a shithouse final quarter from us. Looked like we had zero run at all.

Fine, then change the rule so that runners are only allowed to be on the field for 1 minute at a time. If they can't get the message out that quick, they have no business trying to get so close to play

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

You could sticky tape a 200$ gopro to the goal post and it would do an infinitely better job than whatever potato-cam they use atm

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

drunkill posted:

Apparently Cripps was playing most of the first half of the season with cracked/broken ribs, along with his broken jaw when noted oval office jordan lewis punched him.

What a star.

Just sounds like he has soft bones

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Would suck to be the guy in blue there... Prime spot to see a great mark, and he's looking at his phone or some poo poo

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

monolithburger posted:

His generation will have to die out for that to happen imo.

Every new day is a step in the right direction

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Eagles want to be careful not to get too far ahead and jump over essendon, port in week one is much better than Sydney

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

I can't believe how many Collingwood fans on Reddit are supporting the extension, if they were my team I'd be livid.

And I think all three of those eagles should get into the AA team, but maybe I'm biased

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

Shmoses posted:

Yeah whichever you slice it this is still Geelong having to play their home final at the home ground of the team they're playing and it's bullshit

Were you this upset every single time an interstate team had to play their "home" grand final at the MCG?

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

I feel so sorry for the suns, I wonder how many years of mediocrity they can survive without being dropped from the competition, like the western force in rugby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

drunkill posted:

RIP the suburb of richmond.

I could hear the song coming from the G clearly from my apartment, 1.2km away

• Locked thread