Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I loving love it, and I admit I'm a little confused that other people don't? Is it the plot... or what? Could someone explain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Westworld being the example you gave especially, like arguably that has more to say about consciousness and whatnot than this has to say about.....that the East India Company were bad.

I dunno, I think it's clearly got quite a lot to say about colonisation, imperialism and the idea of social norms (the show is called 'Taboo', after all). The main character spent a lot of time in Africa, living among the indigenous people, and he's come back acculturated against the typical standards and expectations of the "civilised" world. He's rude, canabalistic, openly shamanistic, shuns ideas of patriotism and proper behaviour (and likely grunts all the time because he likely hasn't spoken English in near a decade, and it's also why he spends a great deal of time nearly nude). Simultaneously, he seems to have a great deal of respect for independent women and for queer people, or at least doesn't condemn them on that basis. So ultimately the entire thing is a tract on cultural relativism, and a criticism of the way an enlightened societies only offers a narrow spectrum of appropriate thought and behaviour.

Incidentally, I'd argue that Westworld had a lot of topic sentences on the idea of consciousness but ultimately it didn't really come together to say anything, particularly anything consistent. It was a load of thesis statements looking for an editor, backed up by some dodgy characterisation and narrative choices. (Something I'd be keen to continue discussing in the Westworld thread, if anyone's game? I'd honestly love to be persuaded otherwise.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've not observed the review in question, so take this with a grain of salt, but given that the show is very much part of the horror genre, unequal power dynamics go with the territory. It just so happens that the show's biggest monster is also the show's lead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Orv posted:

This is a bad show I enjoy for bad reasons, and I will continue to do so if it gets picked up again.

Already renewed.

• Locked thread