Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Yardbomb posted:

I want to emptyquote this but I'll just say I strongly agree instead, laffo that I should care about our "ally" status with fuckin Pakistan and similar places.

Oh nooooo, not the feelings of the place(s) that would put me to death.

You should care about our relationship with Pakistan because they're an unstable state with a sizeable nuclear arsenal with a long running and heated dispute with the second most populous county on Earth.

The price of things going bad in Pakistan goes up to tens of millions of innocent people dying in a nuclear inferno, followed by hundreds of millions more dying in the chaos that follows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, absolutely. I'm more targeting my argument at the people who for some reason expect President Obama to pardon Snowden for revealing the NSA spying programs that President Obama already knew about and thought were perfectly fine. Snowden knew full well what he was doing and that he would never again be able to return to the US, but there are far too many supporters who don't seem to understand why the government is not in the business of granting clemency to people who think the government is wrong about things.

Yeah but the demands for clemency are more a moral stance standing for the belief that the government is wrong about those things and should admit it (but won't) than a substantive programme. That they won't actually be granted is almost beside the point - of course they won't, and that's the problem the demands are condemning.

Snowden is an American hero but will die in a foreign land. That's life.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Peel posted:

Snowden will die in a foreign land. That's life.

Not soon enough.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

Not soon enough.

wishing death on people is uncool

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Sinteres posted:

Not soon enough.

will you cry every day until he does

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

spaceships posted:

will you cry every day until he does

Will you cry every day until Chelsea Manning is released? Even she thought she should be dead, though I don't.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 19, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The death penalty is an inhumane and indefensible system. Eat poo poo.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

Will you cry every day until Chelsea Manning is released? Even she thought she should be dead, though I don't.

Wow, you're the edgiest edgelord ever. Edgier than, like, a million Hot Topic T-shirts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DaveWoo posted:

Wow, you're the edgiest edgelord ever. Edgier than, like, a million Hot Topic T-shirts.

Lets be fair, not even the edgiest edgelord in this thread. There's real fanatical natsec dorks.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

One of the biggest problems I feel we have on the left is that we've spent so much time (correctly) criticising the numerous failures of American foreign policy that we've lost the perspective to see anything else.

This has led to the incorrect assumption by a whole lot of people on the left that we should instead embrace a laissez-faire attitude to foreign policy, which would probably be a disaster.

For all of our numerous gently caress-ups and faults, the US growing into the world's only super power is also correlated with a massive global decrease in people (both soldiers and civilians) dying in conflicts and violence.

If the US withdraws into isolationism, it's going to leave a massive power vacuum which others are going to rush in to fill (and nobody is in the position to fill it, and most of the other options are a different flavor of bad or straight up worse). The result of that is instability and war, not peace and prosperity.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

One of the biggest problems I feel we have on the left is that we've spent so much time (correctly) criticising the numerous failures of American foreign policy that we've lost the perspective to see anything else.

This has led to the incorrect assumption by a whole lot of people on the left that we should instead embrace a laissez-faire attitude to foreign policy, which would probably be a disaster.

For all of our numerous gently caress-ups and faults, the US growing into the world's only super power is also correlated with a massive global decrease in people (both soldiers and civilians) dying in conflicts and violence.

If the US withdraws into isolationism, it's going to leave a massive power vacuum which others are going to rush in to fill (and nobody is in the position to fill it, and most of the other options are a different flavor of bad or straight up worse). The result of that is instability and war, not peace and prosperity.

(edit - I missed the word "sole" before superpower, so nevermind)

The Great African War happened in that time period, and Africom wasn't actually uninvolved.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Sinteres posted:

i have never cried and i will never cry. im a big boy, online and off

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

evilweasel posted:

bulk surveillance against china is absolutely the right thing to do, it's a territorially expansionist country and while we have been on relatively friendly terms with them, the more we know the better. given that it's a foreign country the concern about domestic bulk surveillance doesn't apply.
I mean, you can keep asserting this but it won't make it any more true. Bulk data collection is indiscriminate in nature. Meaning the US targets massive amounts of people without any individualized suspicion of wrongdoing. The type of data collected is also indiscriminate, including personal photos that could compromising in nature, scans of important documents. It's an unethical process of dubious value.

Also you may not have thought your argument through this far, but you're essentially giving countries like Russia and China a moral pass if they do the same thing to US citizens. Unless your angle is American Exceptionalism in which case holy poo poo

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chomskyan posted:

you're essentially giving countries like Russia and China a moral pass if they do the same thing to US citizens
What world do you live in where Russian needs a "moral pass" for spying?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Chomskyan posted:

I mean, you can keep asserting this but it won't make it any more true. Bulk data collection is indiscriminate in nature. Meaning the US targets massive amounts of people without any individualized suspicion of wrongdoing. The type of data collected is also indiscriminate, including personal photos that could compromising in nature, scans of important documents. It's an unethical process of dubious value.

Also you may not have thought your argument through this far, but you're essentially giving countries like Russia and China a moral pass if they do the same thing to US citizens. Unless your angle is American Exceptionalism in which case holy poo poo

You're advocating unilateral disarmament.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Wouldnt be a felon with a dishonorable discharge still, as she was not pardoned? So you could still expect life to suck with or without trump.

Yep. A felon with a DD, mostly untreated GID, and active psych issues culminating in suicide attempts.

This is likely to be a very rough transition back to a relatively normal life.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 19, 2017

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Sinteres posted:

You're advocating unilateral disarmament.
Actually, Joe blow everyperson in China isn't my enemy, I don't gain anything from violating their rights, and even if I did I'm not craven enough to throw another normal human being like myself under the bus for some marginal perceived benefit. This is the problem with nationalism. It makes you act like a sociopath towards anyone not born within your state's arbitrary boundaries. It truly is a disease of the mind.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Kingfish posted:

What manning did was very good. I don't care about our "national security relationships" with brutal dictatorships and I especially don't care if the leaked information got some CIA spooks killed.

How about if it hosed over local folks who worked with us?

As far as I know it didn't result in any confirmable deaths there (with maybe some hand-waggling in Pakistan), thank Allah, and I support Manning's leaks ESPECIALLY given the information she had at the time on Wikileaks' responsible behavior, but I am uncomfortable with a blanket condemnation of local assets for basically the same reason that I don't think we should institutionally be dicks to people solely because they aren't American.

Edit: or heck, rejoicing at the death of CIA employees for being CIA employees.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 19, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

and when you post a criticism with any merit beyond your feelings and whining that i am not giving your feelings sufficient respect, perhaps i will bother to respond to them in kind

until then don't whine that your posting receives precisely the effort back you put in

True, the CIA did not exactly slather itself with glory during the cold war and a lot of the James Bond poo poo was stupid and counter-productive. The NSA's mission though just doesn't really lend itself to that sort of freelancing because they're not doing the whole human intelligence angle, they're just trying to read everyone's mail. They're not covert ops guys, that's more of a CIA concern. The NSA's job is to read everyone's mail and be able to hack systems, they don't really leave the country.

And nobody's come up with any better way to respond to cyberwarfare attacks than measured retaliation in kind, so i'm certainly not upset that the US government has been developing that capability. The issue with Russia's interference wasn't so much they collected the information but that they used it offensively. China has been repeatedly hacking personnel databases but there's been no real mutters we should retaliate because everyone collects information and vulnerabilities, it's using the information that crosses the line.

Fwiw, the NSA has people overseas

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/822083492724903936

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe crypto-nazi isolationists would be less appealing to voters if these centrist governments with Serious Opinions on national security would stop committing these endless crimes that erode Americans' confidence and trust in their government.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Correlation does not imply causation, so your argument doesn't work.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

Oh, absolutely. I'm more targeting my argument at the people who for some reason expect President Obama to pardon Snowden for revealing the NSA spying programs that President Obama already knew about and thought were perfectly fine. Snowden knew full well what he was doing and that he would never again be able to return to the US, but there are far too many supporters who don't seem to understand why the government is not in the business of granting clemency to people who think the government is wrong about things.

It would be a shocking miscarriage of justice to pardon a spy as despicable as snowden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Chomskyan posted:

If Russia or China had the capability to do what the NSA does they would do it in a heartbeat, no moral pass needed, and they'd use it for everything from silencing political dissidents to custom-tailored marketing of cheap knockoff handbags and mail order brides.

It wouldn't be all bad, is what I'm saying.

edit:

I think 7 years is long enough, and I'm glad Obama has commuted Manning's sentence.

• Locked thread