Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Cubone posted:

Obama definitely took some questionable risks that are not often talked about in the mainstream media, because they're neocon and archconservative risks that don't fit with the narrative of a left-leaning Democratic Party, for example:
- created a flying robot army to terminate his enemies from the sky
- that's the main one
- the flying robots still answer to him... but for how long...
- they are monsters and there is no way to defeat them
- last Thursday, for the first time, when Obama went to slap one of the robots, the robot held up a tiny robot arm and blocked the blow in defiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shinjobi posted:

Forgettable president. He was the first black president, and that's about all I expect to see in the history books aside from a footnote about the ACA.

ACA will be forgotten unless UHC is passed at some point in the future then it will be known, rightly or wrongly, as the precursor for UHC.

But yea, he will be generally known as the First Black PresidentTM and nothing else at least until racism stops being a thing.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Gyra_Solune posted:

meanwhile, he also had Gaddafi killed and Libya immediately self-destructed into anarchy, whoops

this is like the leftist version of 'obama got us into iraq'

a) Libya was in a massive civil war before bombing started

b) France was the first country to start bombing

c) Gaddafi was killed by rebels on the ground

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Russia still blamed Clinton for Gaddafi being bayonetted in the rear end till he died, and look what happened.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ghaddafi would have won the civil war if it wasn't for the bombing. Now the Russians are making Warlord Haftar their buddy.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

c) Gaddafi was killed by Caro

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The United States and the UK forced Libya to admit to the Lockerbie bombing despite the fact it was actually Syria because Reagan was too scared to challenge Assad's Dad back in the 80s, and had told everyone how Gadaffi was a reformed man, and a good guy now. Libya was now an ally in the region, a secular power and a trading partner. Then they backstabbed him and his son because Clinton managed to convince Obama of the neocon nonsense she still has a hard on for after decades of failure caused by it.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Saurus posted:

The United States and the UK forced Libya to admit to the Lockerbie bombing despite the fact it was actually Syria because Reagan was too scared to challenge Assad's Dad back in the 80s, and had told everyone how Gadaffi was a reformed man, and a good guy now. Libya was now an ally in the region, a secular power and a trading partner. Then they backstabbed him and his son because Clinton managed to convince Obama of the neocon nonsense she still has a hard on for after decades of failure caused by it.

Thats a whole lot of moving parts when US foreign policy in the region has typically been to swing a big dick around and dare someone to notice. Subtlety is not something I associate with US middle east policy. Like, this is the country who predicated a war with Iraq over the transparent accusation that they had WMDs. You would think the competent CIA you're hypothesizing here could have at least planted a few nuke parts here or there to save the embarrassment.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Foreign policy risks:

* Cuba
* Iran
* Libya
* Syria

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Well technically Iraq did have WMDs, if you count leaky barrels of improperly disposed nerve agents.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not a Step posted:

Thats a whole lot of moving parts when US foreign policy in the region has typically been to swing a big dick around and dare someone to notice. Subtlety is not something I associate with US middle east policy. Like, this is the country who predicated a war with Iraq over the transparent accusation that they had WMDs. You would think the competent CIA you're hypothesizing here could have at least planted a few nuke parts here or there to save the embarrassment.

Haftar fled Libya in the 80s and lived a commute away from Langley. The CIA invested decades into him, and as soon as the civil war was in swing they tried to make him effective commander of opposition forces. They put all of that time, money, and resources behind this loser only for him to end up on a Russian aircraft carrier rubbing elbows with Ivan. lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Not a Step posted:

Im not contesting that the Bin Laden raid required real grit and leadership. My main complaint is that I wish he'd shown that level of determination for his domestic policies.

not prosecuting wall street was a p big risk that required a level of determination to soldier through for 8 years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not prosecuting Wall Street was continuity of government.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
The problem with prosecuting Wall Street is that everything they did leading up to 2008 was possibly legal and the only real thing you could bring charges on would be failure of fiduciary responsibility, which would be difficult to prove. Additionally, it wasn't the choice of one person, one Board of Directors, or even one department to engage in these activities, the entire structure of the organization distributed the responsibility from the CEOs to the hourly file clerks, each of which have no idea how to do the other's job. The risk analysts at each level in each of these companies were doing what they were internally and legally obligated to do, follow the guidance of external ratings agencies and internal risk assessors, and making recommendations based on that information rather than their own biased research, in the assumption that those ratings and assessments were made with proper due diligence.

The problem with prosecuting Wall Street is that you have to shut down the entire finance industry. The massive frauds and reckless behavior that led to a global financial collapse were features of the system, not the result of several actors going rogue. Everyone was wrong because everyone else was wrong, and everyone was required by practice or law to assume that everyone else was right.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Those drat leftists, acting like the majority of Libya didn't want Gadaffi to be murdered/raped by a knife! Surely all those lovely rear end Sunni extremists that now inhabit Libya after his demise are a huge coincidence!

ScrubLeague posted:

The problem with prosecuting Wall Street is that everything they did leading up to 2008 was possibly legal and the only real thing you could bring charges on would be failure of fiduciary responsibility, which would be difficult to prove. Additionally, it wasn't the choice of one person, one Board of Directors, or even one department to engage in these activities, the entire structure of the organization distributed the responsibility from the CEOs to the hourly file clerks, each of which have no idea how to do the other's job. The risk analysts at each level in each of these companies were doing what they were internally and legally obligated to do, follow the guidance of external ratings agencies and internal risk assessors, and making recommendations based on that information rather than their own biased research, in the assumption that those ratings and assessments were made with proper due diligence.

The problem with prosecuting Wall Street is that you have to shut down the entire finance industry. The massive frauds and reckless behavior that led to a global financial collapse were features of the system, not the result of several actors going rogue. Everyone was wrong because everyone else was wrong, and everyone was required by practice or law to assume that everyone else was right.

As a RAM at a French firm in Manhattan... Lmfao! Everyone was wrong so let them off the hook! Great logic. I hope I can tell my firm it's cool to gamble because we can just suck the working class's blood and have the government shield my rear end for the first time in my black life!

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh I'm not saying it's like... good... that you can't really prosecute Wall Street, there's just not really any crime to charge anyone with, because no one person was making an intentional effort to defraud or steal from anyone. Everyone had a boss to answer to, and everything each individual person did was legal or within generally accepted guidelines. I think all of the bank CEOs and directors should be in jail, but what would you charge them with breaking? Laws that didn't exist at the time the offense was committed?

The organizations were at fault, with a layered series of policies that allowed for irresponsible and fraudulent behavior to occur, but how do you punish an organization? Do you put JP Morgan Chase in jail? Is the guy who works at your local branch for $12 an hour as guilty as Jamie Dimon? You make them pay penalties, which happened. You can either make the fines ludicrously high to the point that it will bankrupt the company and put a lot of people who were just handling emails on the street, or you make it an amount that can reasonably get paid.

I'm all for burning it to the ground, eating the rich, and the destruction of capitalism, but what people wanted to see happen to Wall Street and what could legally, financially, and practically happen were worlds apart.

ScrubLeague has issued a correction as of 12:02 on Jan 18, 2017

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

Oh I'm not saying it's like... good... that you can't really prosecute Wall Street, there's just not really any crime to charge anyone with, because no one person was making an intentional effort to defraud or steal from anyone. Everyone had a boss to answer to, and everything each individual person did was legal or within generally accepted guidelines. I think all of the bank CEOs and directors should be in jail, but what would you charge them with breaking? Laws that didn't exist at the time the offense was committed?

The organizations were at fault, with a layered series of policies that allowed for irresponsible and fraudulent behavior to occur, but how do you punish an organization? Do you put JP Morgan Chase in jail? Is the guy who works at your local branch for $12 an hour as guilty as Jamie Dimon? You make them pay penalties, which happened. You can either make the fines ludicrously high to the point that it will bankrupt the company and put a lot of people who were just handling emails, or you make it an amount that can reasonably get paid.

I'm all for burning it to the ground, eating the rich, and the destruction of capitalism, but what people wanted to see happen to Wall Street and what could legally, financially, and practically happen were worlds apart.

Fair. I care much less about prosecuting the individuals involved at the time as opposed to the federal government stepping up and taking control over our activity. Dodd-Frank is good but all it amounts to is "the feds can tell us to restructure when we really go off the rails with our crazy gambles, provided the restructuring is left up to the boards".

I want to impress upon this board that in my last semester of college without internship I was given an 80k analyst position without any non-retail work experience. Now I am a risk assessment manager and make significantly more, and will most likely take another large leap once I close in on fluency in Chinese (Mandarin only).

The financial sector's pay is extremely disproportionate to the rest of this country. Any jerk off with an economics or statistics degree is all but guaranteed 80k plus in New York fresh out of school, at a minimum. I am black as black can be on top of all this, and while white and asian people fare better in NY finance, if you have the credentials you are practically set.

To think that in NY, where we have such a large shortage of teachers we offer a city run fellowship program to get anyone to teach for 40kish a year, while the finance sector rakes in money hand over fist, is disgusting. I honestly feel guilt over this daily, including right now as I wake up early for exercise before going to tell a bunch of investors we're gonna make money and we are fine.

poo poo is so severely hosed up I don't even know where we could realistically start anymore.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

ScrubLeague posted:

The organizations were at fault, with a layered series of policies that allowed for irresponsible and fraudulent behavior to occur, but how do you punish an organization? Do you put JP Morgan Chase in jail? Is the guy who works at your local branch for $12 an hour as guilty as Jamie Dimon? You make them pay penalties, which happened. You can either make the fines ludicrously high to the point that it will bankrupt the company and put a lot of people who were just handling emails on the street, or you make it an amount that can reasonably get paid.

drat all these people just following orders

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is your firm hiring people in Texas with an incredibly specific set of skills and nearly a decade of experience in futures risk, cuz holla at me on linkbook if so

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

Is your firm hiring people in Texas with an incredibly specific set of skills and nearly a decade of experience in futures risk, cuz holla at me on linkbook if so

In all seriousness, I'll see if I can't figure out who we are hiring for today. I'm gonna write this down in my iPhone notes. New York still sucks but Texas... poo poo.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

the fact that multiple generations of our best and brightest are being sucked into the finance thresher so they can make lots of money to make their dickshit bosses an inconceivable amount of money is definitely extremely hosed up and probably setting up some sort of institutional collapse that'll make the mortgage bubble look like a decent alternative

I don't think Obama had any real way to stop this though, short of

ScrubLeague posted:

The problem with prosecuting Wall Street is that you have to shut down the entire finance industry

which would probably also be bad

coathat
May 21, 2007

He's killed a bunch of kids.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

rudatron posted:

A good man, a bad president

Gonna need a source on the first claim

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
not only did the feds openly allow the banks to create the hot mess they found themselves in

and then not look for wrong doing or to make an example of cases of criminal wrongdoing that were found,

they also did not create strong laws after the fact to protect americans

and then when banks were caught laundering drug cartel money or fraudulently creating new accounts and charging fees, things which are common sense immoral and illegal, they barely took action at all

lmao scrub league you are such scum for saying banking did nothing wrong de jure

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

the fact that multiple generations of our best and brightest are being sucked into the finance thresher so they can make lots of money to make their dickshit bosses an inconceivable amount of money is definitely extremely hosed up and probably setting up some sort of institutional collapse that'll make the mortgage bubble look like a decent alternative

I don't think Obama had any real way to stop this though, short of

which would probably also be bad

those peeps are going into technology companies now

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2015/11/17/more-harvard-business-grads-choosing-tech-startups.html

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009
Obama is a huge failure. No single payer option in the ACA. dozens of little kids killed in Sandy Hook and no meaningful legislation came of that. so cool that those kids got murdered for no reason. speaking of murder for no reason, so many high profile murders of african american citizens at the hands of cops and most of them got away with a slap on the wrist. our uncle tom of a black president couldn't even stand up for the people who overwhelmingly got him elected in the first place. the labor department keeps making GBS threads out reports of jobs that were created under the obama administration but lol those are all just loving part time mcdonalds jobs. can't even get 15 dollar minimum wage or pull out of afghanistan. gently caress obama. gently caress our dumb country. eat the united states.

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009
AND weed isn't even legalized. a huge bummer considering how much of it we will all need to get thru the next 4 years.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Mixodorian posted:

I was given an 80k analyst position without any non-retail work experience. Now I am a risk assessment manager and make significantly more, ...

poo poo is so severely hosed up I don't even know where we could realistically start anymore.

你們自殺就好

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Jan 18, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Pure Blaxplotiation posted:

Obama is a huge failure. No single payer option in the ACA. dozens of little kids killed in Sandy Hook and no meaningful legislation came of that. so cool that those kids got murdered for no reason. speaking of murder for no reason, so many high profile murders of african american citizens at the hands of cops and most of them got away with a slap on the wrist. our uncle tom of a black president couldn't even stand up for the people who overwhelmingly got him elected in the first place. the labor department keeps making GBS threads out reports of jobs that were created under the obama administration but lol those are all just loving part time mcdonalds jobs. can't even get 15 dollar minimum wage or pull out of afghanistan. gently caress obama. gently caress our dumb country. eat the united states.

don't forget the actual africans he killed and failed regime changes in africa that his admin supported lol

Modest Mao has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Jan 18, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

most of the tech startups in the northeast provide services for finance, lol

the rest are assorted enterprise garbage and none of them provide any remotely useful service to anyone in their community, but this part also applies to. tech nationwide

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AND weed isn't even legalized. a huge bummer considering how much of it we will all need to get thru the next 4 years.

Honestly with all the problems we have is weed really all that important?

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

literally just throw the CEOs in jail. who cares if what they did was technically legal? slavery was legal forever until someone put a foot down on that poo poo.

Pure Blaxplotiation
Jan 19, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

no but it helps me when i stare into the void.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Uhhhm, he also went against his own party to try and strike a grand bargain on cutting social security. It's not his fault those drat Tea Partiers obstructed him.

This was one of the things that made me drop out of the Democratic Party - not only did Obama propose the Grand Bargain from a position of indefensible weakness, liberals decided to collectively forget this affair ever happened in order to hew to the "Obama is a Progressive, Dammit" narrative.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

Ever hear of prison?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

ScrubLeague posted:

Why the gently caress do people keep repeating this garbage? First of all, "possibly legal" = we should really investigate this, which essentially didn't happen. Second of all there was clearly a lot of outright fraud involved in the creation of the financial crisis.

call to action posted:

This was one of the things that made me drop out of the Democratic Party - not only did Obama propose the Grand Bargain from a position of indefensible weakness, liberals decided to collectively forget this affair ever happened in order to hew to the "Obama is a Progressive, Dammit" narrative.

Of everything that happened in the Obama years I have noticed that the attempt to strike a 'grand bargain' is the thing that the largest number of Democrats will simply outright refuse to talk about or acknowledge. It's kind of like how nobody now acknowledges that Bill Clinton was in the first phase of privatizing social security when his administration got blind-sided by the Lewinsky scandal and all its assorted head aches.

Republican obstructionism has, on several occasions, been the only thing standing in the way of some truly awful Democratic policies.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mixodorian posted:

Fair. I care much less about prosecuting the individuals involved at the time as opposed to the federal government stepping up and taking control over our activity. Dodd-Frank is good but all it amounts to is "the feds can tell us to restructure when we really go off the rails with our crazy gambles, provided the restructuring is left up to the boards".

I want to impress upon this board that in my last semester of college without internship I was given an 80k analyst position without any non-retail work experience. Now I am a risk assessment manager and make significantly more, and will most likely take another large leap once I close in on fluency in Chinese (Mandarin only).

The financial sector's pay is extremely disproportionate to the rest of this country. Any jerk off with an economics or statistics degree is all but guaranteed 80k plus in New York fresh out of school, at a minimum. I am black as black can be on top of all this, and while white and asian people fare better in NY finance, if you have the credentials you are practically set.

To think that in NY, where we have such a large shortage of teachers we offer a city run fellowship program to get anyone to teach for 40kish a year, while the finance sector rakes in money hand over fist, is disgusting. I honestly feel guilt over this daily, including right now as I wake up early for exercise before going to tell a bunch of investors we're gonna make money and we are fine.

Eh, this is extremely school specific. You're not gonna get an Econ BA at your average State U and immediately land an NYC finance job with no experience.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone who thinks there were only possibly illegal activities in the run up to the financial crisis is either completely ignorant or covering their rear end.

Holder was picked by the banks and dedicated himself to making sure they never suffered any consequences for anything

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SickZip posted:

Anyone who thinks there were only possibly illegal activities in the run up to the financial crisis is either completely ignorant or covering their rear end.

Holder was picked by the banks and dedicated himself to making sure they never suffered any consequences for anything

Most of the illegal activities were by the mortgage brokers and people selling the mortgages to people. Wall Street created a demand that incentivized people to break the law to satisfy these demands but that isn't illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

literally just throw the CEOs in jail. who cares if what they did was technically legal? slavery was legal forever until someone put a foot down on that poo poo.

Who went to jail for doing slavery?

• Locked thread