Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
College is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

same op. also jobs are overrated too

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Dang.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I am going to make the extremely original observation that I was told my entire life I need to go to college or I'd flip burgers at McDonalds, and now I'm being told I need to flip burgers for five years before I can get hired anywhere else.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Good

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
college is a scam the new hotness is learning a trade

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you, an idiot: i put myself in debt to learn things

me, enlightened: you can learn for free by going to the library

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Me, reaching nirvana: reading is for losers

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rudatron posted:

Me, reaching nirvana: reading is for losers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjuzxiuIbjs

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
money is overrated especially when the world ends

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've been there. poo poo sucks. I'm sorry, and I hope something comes up for you soon.

This is probably going to sound bourg as gently caress to some out there but for me, the worst thing when I and my wife were suddenly laid off from our common employer, out of a job for some months was the psychological aspect of it.

The demoralization that comes with being laid off, like, I was actually GOOD at my job, the job just went away because the industry is shifting, now I have to find something else that my skills will transfer to, where I have no direct experience, and I have to grovel now when before I was great.

The job search forms you have to fill out to keep receiving unemployment benefits that you've been paying into out of every paycheck for years, the very existence of which is an implicit accusation that you somehow LIKE being unemployed and doing gently caress all with your days, unable to sleep at night, like somehow you don't WANT to have a job.

The fact that if you come across a small contract job, you now need to think about whether you want to report it and hurt or even risk ending your benefits, go gray market, or just pass on the job.

As long as feeding and housing yourself is everyone's personal responsibility, having a job that feeds and houses you should be everyone's human right.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
lots of trowel-ready jobs about to pop up in the next year or so

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

leaves more time for posting

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Had an interview on Wednesday got cancelled at like 5:30 Tuesday. Oh well.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

going to a community college, getting an associate's, and getting a job is probably a much better use of your time and money than a run-of-the-mill four year college

• Locked thread