Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

Can confirm A FRIEND had the credit card ones seized before - they just let A FRIEND continue. I can also confirm A FRIEND forgot about the key ones multiple times and traveled through airport security in maybe a dozen countries without it being noticed.

Edit: I don't recommend this course of action. A FRIEND took off it of A FRIEND'S keychain completely because A FRIEND didn't like the idea of forgetting it and getting someone on a bad day.

Double edit: yep that should hold up nicely

I had one of the credit card sized metal multitools and the TSA trashed it. I don't think it even had a blade, and if it did, it was shorter and less pointy than any pair of scissors. I traveled with my embroidery kit once with needles and scissors and got through fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Today's most surprising news: my 'Rolex' arrived!
( I assumed nothing was going to be actually sent)

Today's least surprising news: it lacks a certain authenticity:

Listing:

Reality:

I think I have a good case for a refund.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Moo the cow posted:

I doubt it, how much was it? If you really want a fake Rolex go check out the replica forums and read up on trusted sellers. You’re going to have to pay more than AliExpress prices to get something that passes but you’ll have much better luck. For a while I had a good time lurking those forums, those guys actually know their poo poo really well, they obsess over tiny details to an incredible degree.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Snowy posted:

I doubt it, how much was it? If you really want a fake Rolex go check out the replica forums and read up on trusted sellers. You’re going to have to pay more than AliExpress prices to get something that passes but you’ll have much better luck. For a while I had a good time lurking those forums, those guys actually know their poo poo really well, they obsess over tiny details to an incredible degree.

$32.52

Let's be honest: at that price I was expecting something made from old tin cans, but at least to the same general dimensions as the listing and looking vaguely like it from a distance.
This does not.

It does have the lightning bolt second hand and, surprisingly, a mechaquartz-style movement.
Maybe if I remove the cyclops I can live with it?

Still in two minds about the refund- I knew it was going to be crap, but it clearly does not match the photos in design.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I kind of want a fake Rolex where the face says:
RELAX
Made in Swaziland

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I can't believe I sat on this design for a solid year before getting around to making it into a shirt and then made a loving typo.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why are you wearing my bedsheets

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why are you wearing my bedsheets

Those white 'stains' are dust on the mirror.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Moo the cow posted:

Those white 'stains' are dust on the mirror.

And what's with the dudes ugly face! I'm cool with the mountains but I didn't ask for a face on them

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Moo the cow posted:

What does it look like on your wrist? TBH that looks pretty good for $30

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

everdave posted:

What does it look like on your wrist? TBH that looks pretty good for $30

Actually, it's growing on me now.

I think it may have been my visceral hatred of cyclopses that clouded my judgment.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is the 9 o'clock marker misaligned or is it just me?

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

goatface posted:

The red bits look like stickers, and the 9 o'clock one is definitely misaligned. Overall, it might impress someone who has never seen a real Rolex, or a Swatch.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If it was called like "ROLLAX" or something even shittier I'd probably wear it, assuming it kept decent time.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Get the counterfeit gently caress Em edition

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

goatface posted:

Horace posted:

The red bits look like stickers, and the 9 o'clock one is definitely misaligned.
Using a lupe, I am pretty sure that the red is actually printed on, but you are right that it is slightly askew, while the index is probably aligned correctly.

Horace posted:

Overall, it might impress someone who has never seen a real Rolex, or a Swatch.
I buy poo poo like this for my own entertainment only.
Anyway, a real Rolex only impresses watch-bores, not normal people.

I'm 85% sure it is glass, not acrylic, so I may perform surgery to remove the cyclops.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A rolex does the opposite of impressing most people I would imagine.

Showing off a watch that costs more than people's cars is :guillotine: worthy, quite frankly

And if you are only around other rich assholes, why would they even care

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If it was machine printed I'd expect it to be better aligned. Quite a few of them are significantly off-kilter now I see it on a big screen. I wonder if they were doing stencil work by hand.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

id rather support an honest chinese craftsman than the rolex corporation

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I kind of want a fake Rolex where the face says:
RELAX
Made in Swaziland

It's called Eswatini now. :eng101:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eswatini

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

goatface posted:

If it was machine printed I'd expect it to be better aligned. Quite a few of them are significantly off-kilter now I see it on a big screen. I wonder if they were doing stencil work by hand.

I think you are right: the alignment, plus the consistency is pretty poor: some of them aren't even square with rounded corners.

It's definitely the worst part of the watch, the rest of it is suprisingly not as bad as I expected (the strap is folded links and garbage, as you would expect).
I am impressed that they put a mecaquartz movement in there.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

id rather support an honest chinese craftsman than the rolex corporation

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Aliexpress: id rather support an honest chinese craftsman than the rolex corporation

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
The good fakes are like 100 to 150 iirc, there used to be some talk in a watch thread here. It was fun to read about, things like secret shops with clothing listed but you chat with someone and buy a watch instead.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

taqueso posted:

The good fakes are like 100 to 150 iirc, there used to be some talk in a watch thread here. It was fun to read about, things like secret shops with clothing listed but you chat with someone and buy a watch instead.

That’s on the low end but doable. It’s once you get over $300 or so that you get really convincing fakes. And the replica dealers are pretty up front once you figure out who they are, their sites usually have good photos.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

US $0.75 31% Off | Pet Cat Glasses Dog Glasses Pet Products for Little Dog Cat Eye Wear Dog Sunglasses Photos Props Accessories Pet Supplies Toy
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msUBDxV

Edit: okay this friggin’ awesome for people who like decorating for Halloween... or just want their place to spooooooky year around.

There’s a video of the eye looking around.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mPZZ0EB

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 25, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

One of the new options linked from the pet glasses description

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

taqueso posted:

One of the new options linked from the pet glasses description

Lol!
I can’t stop looking at cat toys! Well, until I discovered something amazing.

Do you have a pet chicken?!

Does that feathered food friend think you are just the BEES KNEES!

Do you want to make your pet poultry rue the day it hatched from its egg only to see you?!!! Well have we got the perfect thing for YOU!

CHICKEN HELMETS!

Yes, Chicken Helmets! When our novelty football helmet company, located in sunny Guangzhou, realized that their massive stock of blank keychain helmets was not going to be needed in US stadiums this year, they called in the top scientists in the field of RBS*. After 2 weeks of brainstorming and deliberation incubation, the idea of chicken helmets was born hatched!

US $2.33 51% Off | Pet Helmet Funny Chicken Helmet Head Protection Compact Chicken Hen Ducks Birds Hard Hat Bird Hat Hood
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMEnqCF

No chickens are actually pictured wearing any of the helmets because they are too small for the chickens. One person did apparently get it to fit on what appears to be an injured.. vulture?

*Ridiculous BullShit

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 25, 2020

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You know the term "pecking order"? It comes from chickens. If they don't get along or have dominance issues, they'll peck each other's feathers off and then they'll peck each other's brains out, literally.

If that wasn't what you envisioned when you started a cute little backyard flock, that's why they sell chicken helmets.

(The part where they're too small for chickens is aliexpress doing its thing, though.)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

yoloer420 posted:

Somebody drove into my car today, it's pretty likely not repairable.

Can you buy cars on AliExpress? I've purchased basically everything else I own from there.

For the best deal you have to go to Alibaba for the ChangLi EV.

$930 US. An extra $270 gets you a bigger battery. And I can guarantee the model with "Jeep" painted on the side is better quality than an actual Chrysler Jeep.

The Jalopnik review is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJk30Kj5jCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GG1RC7GV0Y

I so want one. Like a SmartCar, but doesn't take itself seriously.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

e: Sporty!

taqueso fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 25, 2020

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

taqueso posted:

When you're buying the pair (you know, one for each foot) do you have to get them the same color or can you mix and match?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Congrats on finding half the joke.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Hexigrammus posted:

$930 US. An extra $270 gets you a bigger battery. And I can guarantee the model with "Jeep" painted on the side is better quality than an actual Chrysler Jeep.

There's no ac so the windows fog up like crazy, that would drive me insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It looks a fun alternative to a golf cart for places that are full of them. I’m looking at you, Georgia.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Most of the EU legislates tiny slow cars like that as mopeds so you can drive them from age 16 and only need whatever the local moped license situation is. 1hp is super weak though, even 25km/h scooters put out 3 and those weigh a lot less.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Hexigrammus posted:

This honestly would serve my transportation needs AND help me circumvent having to take a Spanish license test... hmmmmmmmmm....

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

yoloer420 posted:

Can confirm A FRIEND had the credit card ones seized before - they just let A FRIEND continue. I can also confirm A FRIEND forgot about the key ones multiple times and traveled through airport security in maybe a dozen countries without it being noticed.

Edit: I don't recommend this course of action. A FRIEND took off it of A FRIEND'S keychain completely because A FRIEND didn't like the idea of forgetting it and getting someone on a bad day.

Double edit: yep that should hold up nicely

key one got through TSA multiple times but was confiscated at a loving soccer match of all places

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

taqueso posted:

Do they offer them in martini racing livery?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

key one got through TSA multiple times but was confiscated at a loving soccer match of all places
Way more likely to have a stabbing at a soccer match.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Snackula posted:

Most of the EU legislates tiny slow cars like that as mopeds so you can drive them from age 16 and only need whatever the local moped license situation is. 1hp is super weak though, even 25km/h scooters put out 3 and those weigh a lot less.

I keep hearing from the Netherlands about how these are a major issue since people drive them on the bike paths. Cyclists there are mostly going around 10-15km/h, so having boxy, 30km/h motor vehicles whizzing around is not good.