Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Bees on Wheat posted:

gently caress, that reminds me of this stupid thing that was around in the early 00s.

Why yes I had one why do you ask

honestly, that's more useful than a CD-rom drive or whatever in this day and age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Isn't this something out of, like, Guantanamo?

I think I wouldn't want my dick powerfully shocked, but what do I know

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

mobby_6kl posted:

Banggood has a lock pick set with an acryllic lock on sale for like $8. If anyone has way too much time on their hands and needs another hobby, that's a good way to start

https://m.banggood.com/DANIU-Transp...ml?rmmds=search

God, those look like they will snap off with the slightest application of force... but yeah, lockpicking is fun and a full kit like that for 8$ might be a good bargain. Just never, ever use those on a lock that you can't afford to break open in case you snap the pick inside (actually, that's good advice for any kind of lockpick, even the best ones)

Though a good set of inexpensive picks from a reputable brand like Southord can be had for 20-30$ or so, and I'm pretty sure they will outlast the 8$ ones by a factor of several years.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

This is not available

why do you tease me so and crush my dreams

I *need* this pin

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Snowy posted:

Get the shirt

US $13.01 7% Off | All Over Print T-Shirt Men Funy tshirt He Scream at Own rear end Short Sleeve O-Neck Graphic Tops Tee women t shirt
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/WBivLx2

:tipshat:

Snowy posted:

E- or whatever this thing is

US $1.62 20% Off | Plush Cute Keji rear end Vocal Toy Dog Toy BB Scream Soft Plush Fill 1PC New Dog Puppy Chew Toy Pet Dinner
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bucx7a2c

:stonkhat:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

NoneMoreNegative posted:

E: the ‘scream at own rear end’ pin seems to be back in stock for any frustrated buyers.

Thanks for the heads up, got one :D I wasn't ready to shell 20+$ for the Canadian Etsy one, but for 3$ , why not!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

So... what's everybody's thoughts on vaporizers?
I want to get a dry herb vaporizer, and saw the Pathfinder II on Aliexpress. But, I'm a bit put off by the idea of AE electronics as applied to something that could explode in my mouth. I noticed that several online retailers sell branded versions of the same vape, at like 3x the price. My question is, is there anything to justify this mark-up? If there's a brand that genuinely does some additional quality control that could result in a lower risk of horrific injury instead of just slapping their logo on and raising the price, I would be willing to pay a premium.

I recognize that there are reputable vape manufacturers like Storz & Bickel, but their stuff is in the price range of hundreds. I'd like to spend no more than 50 EUR on this, and basically I'm debating the choice between buying from AliExpress or buying a branded version for more. Is it worth it?

It ... would depend what you're using a vaporizer for, but if it's what everybody's thinking, you could just get a DynaVap VapCap M. The basic "M" model is cheap (got my 2018 for 60€ from Vaposhop, I think they're a dutch site, bought from them twice with no issues at all), works well, has no electronics at all so it won't blow up on you, only requires a torch lighter that you can buy everywhere and a short "adjusting" period to understand how it works, then it's all gravy.

You can go for the 2017 or 2018 models, they're cheaper than the 2019 model and changes are really minimal. If you find the new one for the same price as the older ones, or like 5€more, you can go for it of course.

Sorry for the derail, but for this kind of stuff I'd go with something that has some brand reputation. Besides the possible explody-ness, vaporizing requires well controlled temperatures to be worth it, and I wouldn't trust QC that much on AliExpress stuff

Fake edit: or yeah, the Flowermate gets pretty decent reviews and isn't too expensive, you could go for that too - bear in mind its limitations though, it's just not on par with the more expensive electronic ones. I just find the convenience and simplicity of the DynaVap unbeatable for a cheap vaporizer, plus it's a very neat piece of engineering. It kind of looks like you're huffing meth though, but using a vaporizer like the Flowermate isn't that much better in the eyes of people that hate smokers/vapers already :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 3, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PokeJoe posted:

also, this is the best weed grinder i've ever used bar none. i can't believe ive never seen this fishing reel style before ali but it essentially never gets jammed or needs cleaned.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-L....1ddd4c4dnY1E8n

Thanks, my old grinder is so scratched and funked up that I'm definitely getting this. Just have to make my mind up about color :v:

I also found a slightly (43mm vs 55mm) smaller version that looks exactly the same and costs half that, https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32953989587.html?spm=a2g0n.shopcart-amp.item.32953989587&

Is that a trap, yes/no? I kinda wanted to get a couple to gift to friends since they're even cheaper but I don't want to gift lovely items.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I bought a thing, but it never showed up :(

It's the red one with a lot of middle fingers on it.

I got refunded of course, currently debating if I should try again since it's been more than 3 weeks past the "yeah we're refunding you" date, as inefficient as our postal service is I'm starting to honestly think it got lost (or stolen) in transit.

God knows what would people DO with a joke phone sleeve, but hey

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Skarsnik posted:

Ahhh godammit my Ali express is Italian now :argh::italy:

mine always is :agesilaus: seeing those mangled words translated from chinese to english to italian is priceless :italy:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Camping and saiing:
Paracord. A useful multi-purpose cord. I've added a chin strap to a tricorn with this.

Thanks, that's a good price with the sale (not sure if still current though, it was yesterday when I bought). Grabbed 2 100ft rolls, you can never have too much paracord

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I like folding/collapsible kitchen gadgets. I dream of a sail boat, where space is a precious commodity. Here are some I've found.
A folding grater.
A folding colander.
A collapsible funnel.

I'd like to know if you know of any more.

I used to have a similar collapsible funnel, bought in a local dollar store, and it quickly cracked where it folds making it more of a colander than a funnel... but I'm sure Aliexpress quality will not disappoint :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shut up Meg posted:

On the off-chance anyone gives a poo poo, I messaged the seller about the specs and they claimed the breaking strain was 'about 300lbs'

I have to tell you that I shocked that YoouPara 250 Colors Paracord 550 Rope Type III 7 Stand 100FT 50FT Paracord Parachute Cord Rope Survival kit Wholesale was only available in 237 colours, did not have a 550lb breaking strain, was not Type III paracord and didn't have 7 strands.

I used the "local sports/camping stuff store" version of cheap Chinese paracord to tow an ATV out of the snow with another ATV. Have no idea how many strands it had inside, but it felt the exact same as AliExpress paracord, and it was just about as thick as a normal USB cable, maybe slightly more?

It's good enough for most uses, really, except probably parachuting :v:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shut up Meg posted:

I know what you are doing is sharing an amusing and interesting anecdote, but I can't but help think you are comparing my body weight to that of an atv.

That of an ATV mired in waist-high snow, I'd add

(Of course that was not my intention :unsmith: )

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

It says right there on the tube, "it's a surprise adhesive"

definitely can't say that is a lie, no sir

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Has anyone purchased any light switches from Ali? Maybe https://www.aliexpress.com/item/322...AbTest=ae803_4, or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...AbTest=ae803_4. You get the general idea.

Cool looking switches state-side can be excruciatingly expensive, so I'm exploring some of the alternative options.

Well that sounds like a deal then.

(Yeah, light switches aren't exactly rocket science but they do need to be well made. Maybe get one and see how's the quality?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

PokeJoe posted:

also, this is the best weed grinder i've ever used bar none. i can't believe ive never seen this fishing reel style before ali but it essentially never gets jammed or needs cleaned.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4-L....1ddd4c4dnY1E8n

Trip report: this arrived pretty banged up, so much that either in transport or at the factory it got one side of the upper part (the one with holes and teeth) completely flat, meaning it was impossible to close.

I submitted pics and requested, and got, a full refund. Now I took pliers and a hammer to it to try and straighten it out. I got some of the colored finish off and it's a bit scratched, but it seems to work now. Free scratched grinder!

Also, the pin "screams at own rear end" seems to be in my country since 1 month, but did not show up yet. I really really hope this won't be lost, it's a silly idiot thing but I want it :ohdear:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

bar88537 posted:

I thought the screws went directly to the plates, but I guess they go into another metal block which pushes on the plates? So that's more pieces that can shoot out?

Well that directly translates to more blood for the Blood God, so it's A-OK by me

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Of the last few purchases I made on Aliexpress, about 50% arrived and 50% disappeared. I always got refunded of course, and they were mostly joke / superflous stuff, but it's a PITA.

e.g. the "scream at own rear end" pin purchase protection is just about to expire. It's a stupid joke pin, but I WANT IT, and even if I get a refund I'll have to reorder it and wait another month, it sucks. Yeah I know I should just wait and see if it arrives anyway, but I already had 4 or 5 items completely disappear (waited 3-4 weeks after supposed arrival date) in the last months already so it seems like a pattern

China post loving up? Local Italian post stealing completely worthless poo poo just because they can? I wouldn't put them above it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shut up Meg posted:

The Italian post is so bad that some large e-commerce companies refuse to use it and insist on couriers instead.

Seriously? Lol :italy:

I have a friend working in the post office (not on parcel duty sadly, just front desk operator), I'm now searching for articles about this to send them to her so we can laugh about it :D do you have any links? My Google-fu is weak

e: also, this started happening in 2019. Up til 2018 I received every single thing sent to me from China, so :shrug: ?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 26, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Anyone else into lockpicking?
There are some starter kits on AliExpress. I got my picks from Ali, as well as some practice locks, although not this particular set. It's a fun hobby.
I also have a credit card lock pick set. I don't know why this listing has only that one, uninformative picture, but here's what it looks like:

You can easily get carried away with this hobby, and there are more challenging practice locks on eBay. Of course, you'll also want to try some real locks.

We had a small discussion earlier on; lockpicking is cool but to practice it at any serious level (eg. real locks in real situations where you want it open without having to smash it) I wouldn't want Ali tools in the off chance that they're faulty and snap in the lock, loving it up for good :)

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Southord or other reputable brand picks - they're not terribly expensive and I believe you have better QC there and less chance of picks snapping through no fault of your own (I risked it even with the Southords, thanks to my fat fingers :v: )

Has anyone bought the Lego knockoffs from Ali? With a friend we're looking at the various Creator cars (example) , cost is about 1/3rd of the real thing and reviews seem pretty decent, like maybe missing one piece or having couple of pieces ruined which is easy enough to fix, but do they "look" and fit the part? Meaning as a collector item more than a children's toy, because not even Original Stuff can withstand children, I have no hopes for the Ali versions :chickbutt:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fauxtool posted:

Guess for the price you can't go wrong as a beginner, but if you like it as hobby, get some Lego brand

:D I fully deserve that. And I do agree, if money was no object I would get the Lego ones for sure. Just looking for first hand experience like "it's like the original but without logos", or "you will curse God because the pieces don't fit and you have to hammer in every third one"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I ordered myself 2 frog pins, can't wait ... assuming the drat Italian post does not lose them AGAIN. I still have to receive my "screams at own rear end" pin and it's now 1 week past due date.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MarcusSA posted:

I want a beef comb :(

not aliexpress, but https://www.amazon.com/ZQ-Lightweight-bending-temperature-resistance/dp/B07D56ZWPB

quote:

Product description
Color:Beef
Comb bending constantly

Mixed with beef and PP

Unbreakable

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, are you really into torture or... ?

(and yeah, the things that look like torture devices are those with the most sales. Why am I not surprised?)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

And here we were, thinking that earwax discussion was bad. There's no end to the horror, is there?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, well, I started paying attention to the "recommended links" and wow

looks quite normal, boring even, but what's that "friendly games thing"? Let's get a better look

Ooooh. Ok. Why does Ali think I want to murder accidentally shoot broadheads at my "friends" during "friendly games", exactly? :aliexpress:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 15, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

it is here! Only 3 months after the "deadline"! Our postal service is the best :italy:

Now waiting for the 2 little frog in a car pins... :aliexpress:

e: now I realize that looks dirty and ruined but it's not, it's just my smartphone camera that is dirty and ruined, the pin seems to actually be of great quality

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 9, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

EL BROMANCE posted:

As it's customary to share your wares - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911968624.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.3aff6392xdNv0D (basically one of those fighting arcade sticks that run emulators. Anyone else here grabbed one? Expensive but at least due to the only official channel being Ali Express I should be able to resell if I get bored).

My boss literally got one of those a couple months ago for the main office, but from a local brick&mortar retailer (well he actually bought a full arcade cabinet powered by this, but I'm pretty sure that just the Pandora Box 6 part was more expensive than from AliExpress, nevermind the full assembled cabinet with screen and everything)

It's completely awesome and I want to bully him into buying one for my local branch too, if that helps your decision in any way!

yes I am also very undecided between cat butt and squirrel butt. I mean how can you pass up such great looking, sexy clothing

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

boostergeist posted:

Long time lurker of this thread; I know nothing about building PCs, but seeing one entirely built from budget Aliexpress parts would be totally cool. Provided it doesn't does overheat and explode or something.

FTFY and that's exactly what I expect from this. Please be careful, this thread already had people trying out death implements and I don't think we've had casualties yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have one of those cheapo molle pouches from Ali, and I have to say it does the job admirably

(it's not really good quality, the textile seems to fray a little in parts and feels a bit "rough" to the touch but the zipper works, the internal stretchy bands to keep stuff in position are still stretchy after a year of use, and it's generally useful to store all your knickknacks in a single place and toss it in your backpack, it avoids me forgetting stuff at home all the time)

E: it's this one: https://it.aliexpress.com/item/32723184268.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d4qiin9

it's small but I didn't need anything more, it has plenty of space for my Leatherman, small flashlight, a few bandaids and paracetamol pills

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 27, 2020