Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I've been a fan of AliExpress for a while, now, and after having just gone through the thread, here are some things I do not think I saw:

EZONE Weasel Hair Calligraphy Brush Traditional Chinese Writing Handwriting Practice Festival Couplets Regular Script Supplies
Chinese Calligraphy Brush Pen Goat Hair Bamboo Shaft Paint Brush Art Stationary Oil Painting Brush

I use these with a Buddha Board I got as a gift, which is basically a water painting board. They work very well. I have not tried them with ink.

3D Pop Up Sailboat Postcard Greeting Card Handmade Birthday Valentine Invitation, a 3D pop-up card with a sailboat design. I try to crew on sailboats in the summer, and figured I would send the skippers these as a thank-you.
Some nautical-themed silicone stamps. I use these for scrapbooking. Also, some guest harbors have guestbooks, maybe I'll keep some of these and an ink pad along for leaving a mark there.

A date stamp, also used for scrapbooking.

Yoga Blocks for a great price.

Tweezers. I got both kinds, the straight and the bent tip.

I combined a ball swivel camera mount and a kitchen timer with some hot glue to make a DIY time lapse rotator. It worked great. There are ready-made solutions and even fancy electronic, adjustable units, but I do not have experience with these. The DIY route gave me a magnetic base instead of a socket on the bottom, which can be good or bad, according to the situation.

A knife sharpener. Seems to work just fine.

Some floating candle holders. They come with candles that are glued on, so you might damage them by ripping a petal when removing those like I did, but they make perfectly servicable floats for normal tea lights after that.

I've been perfectly satisfied with my Ugreen HDMI cables. I've tried runs of up to 10 meters, no problems. This is only for AV, I haven't tried some of the fancier data signals that I think new HDMI specs support? My use case has been just connecting AV stuff to my TV.
More computer stuff, this 2.5" HDD enclosure works OK.

When you have one of these access keys, you start seeing places it can open all around. If anyone knows where I can get some larger sizes, though, please let me know.

These are just some of the hits I've had. Going through my orders, I noticed that many of the items are, sadly, no longer available. I've also had plenty of misses to go with these hits, so, as always, buyer beware. The items I linked to I have personal experience with, though, and they've been fine (or I wouldn't link them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

How's the closing and the hold on those?

It seems fine, I don't know if I have the expertise to really judge them, all I've used them for was replacing a keycap on my laptop and they worked fine for that. But I can imagine grabbing hold of jumpers and such without any problems.

Here's something I forgot: a credit card maginifier. It's part of my every-day carry, now. I also have one of those "tactical multi-tool" cards, but it's no longer on AliExpress, for some reason. All I can find are these 11-in-1 credit card tools, but mine has more and different features. Although this one seems to have my most-used feature as well: the bottle opener.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I hate it when sweatpants get those "pills" of lint, so I got this lint remover. I can verify that it works as it should!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Some camera stuff:
I got this flexible "Octopus" tripod. It works pretty well, can be bent to grab onto stuff and will hold the camera there. I also have a smaller pocket tripod that fits into a pocket in my camera bag, so it's very convenient to always have with me.
My friend got a motorized camera dolly that he says works fine.
We both have a Eken H9 action camera, that's one of the good-quality GoPro clones.
Here's compatible head strap mounts and chest mount rigs.
Those ball swivel camera heads I linked earlier are great if your monopod doesn't already come with that (the linked one does, but the one that comes as part of the Eken H9 action camera "Bundle 4" doesn't).
Here's a dirt cheap suction cup camera holder. My plan is to attach is to the side of a boat and use one of these flexible extenders so that I can freely adjust the camera angle. I tried it by attaching my camera to my fridge door, and even with the additional torque from using the extender, it held fast. I will secure the camera to the boat with some paracord so that even if its the suction cup's hold breaks, I don't lose the camera.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Christoph posted:

Does this remove cat hair (from the clothes, not the cat)?

I think you'd be better off getting a sticker roller. That's what they're designed for, and that's what I used when I had cats. Be sure to get plenty of replacement rolls - and make sure that they fit your roller before ordering! Even looking at the dimensions in the description, I'm not 100% positive that these two are compatible!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

These
could be fun if they were programmable.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.chemi-on.com/en/index.html

You'll have to pay for that functionality I'm afraid.

Oh hey yeah: https://github.com/gsuberland/ChemionHacking/wiki

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Dispute trip report:
I recently ordered some ink to use with the calligraphy brushes I ordered earlier, and they sent me a bottle of blue ink that says "washable", even though I ordered black and the description said "waterproof". I disputed and sent them a picture of the package that says "Blue" while my order details said "Color: Black", and they refunded me 100%.

So, getting the wrong thing happens, sometimes, but at least in this case, the dispute system came through. I just hope the refund was not deducted from some poor worker's salary.

Wamdoodle posted:

Cursed:
US $0.77 21%OFF | 1 Pcs Antique Plated Realistic Donald Trump and The First Lady Antique 24K Gold Plated Dollars Decoration Banknotes High Quality
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bCuwwScg

As for cursed currency, how's this
?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Latex masks are a fun search.
How kawai!
It feels like I'm seeing double
This is actually pretty clever.
Homer looks like he's just seen something shocking and is like "welp".

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Since I don't have a smart phone or intend on getting one, I've got an MP3 player for listening to music on the go. My only gripes with this device are that song position is not remembered if I turn it off in the middle, and it could have support for more formats, such as m4a. There's a slot for an SD card, but so far, I've just used the internal 16 GB memory.

Speaking of SD cards, yeah I'm under the impression that memory is generally adviced to be avoided with AliExpress, but has anyone tested one of the brand name cards? Are they unauthorized fakes? Or is it possible to buy SD cards on Ali and get the true capacity?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Right, yeah, that's what I figured.

Here's two magnetic travel games:
Go/Baduk/Weiqi
and
Chess.
There are others, but these are the ones I personally have.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Even more pins. I'm looking at the "Cursed" one, myself.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I have had two bluetooth speakers from AliExpress, a Sardine SDY-019 and a Jakcom OS2, and I wouldn't recommend them. They both had issues with playback from SD card, which is what I'd like to use them for. If you're looking for a Bluetooth speaker specifically for Bluetooth use, that might not bother you. I've also heard that the Xiaomi speakers are ok, but I don't have any experience with them.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Why don't we focus on skulls for a moment?
There's a wide range of decorative skulls available, from small skulls made of crystal or any of a number of materials including malachite, to bigger ("life size", but actual measurements vary) ones of agate, fluorite, and purple quartz. If you insist on your skulls to be useful, you can get skull shot glasses and a skull bottle (these go with all the usual warnings about AliExpress glassware).

I have a resin skull I got for an art project, that now sits on my shelf as a memento mori. They can be purchased already decorated:
Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
I think it would be a pretty cool project to decorate one of the plain skulls yourself.

Plenty more skulls can be found with searches like "crystal skull" or "resin skull". Or maybe just go all in and get a life size skeleton?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Yeah, there's also no free shipping on that item, at least to my country :(

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

So... what's everybody's thoughts on vaporizers?
I want to get a dry herb vaporizer, and saw the Pathfinder II on Aliexpress. But, I'm a bit put off by the idea of AE electronics as applied to something that could explode in my mouth. I noticed that several online retailers sell branded versions of the same vape, at like 3x the price. My question is, is there anything to justify this mark-up? If there's a brand that genuinely does some additional quality control that could result in a lower risk of horrific injury instead of just slapping their logo on and raising the price, I would be willing to pay a premium.

I recognize that there are reputable vape manufacturers like Storz & Bickel, but their stuff is in the price range of hundreds. I'd like to spend no more than 50 EUR on this, and basically I'm debating the choice between buying from AliExpress or buying a branded version for more. Is it worth it?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

i own every Bionicle posted:

If you want to up your budget a little you can get a Flowermate 5.0 which is known to be high quality and safe.

Thanks, that actually looks nice. Maybe that'll be the path that I take on this.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Camping and saiing:
Paracord. A useful multi-purpose cord. I've added a chin strap to a tricorn with this.
I have an Aegismax 800 sleeping bag. I got it to replace and older Lafuma Extreme, which had some nice features such as a small inside pocket near the top of the zipper that was perfect for holding ear plugs, and a glow-in-the-dark zipper pull.
I was going to get this multi-functional eating utensil. I have a "Light my Fire" model, but the first one of the set of two is already broken.

Edit: Not to forget extra tent pegs. I though I would set trip wires in the city.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 9, 2019

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I like folding/collapsible kitchen gadgets. I dream of a sail boat, where space is a precious commodity. Here are some I've found.
A folding grater.
A folding colander.
A collapsible funnel.

I'd like to know if you know of any more.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

Mind you, it does seem very thin for paracord. It feels like shoelaces rather than something you would drop out of an aeroplane with

I mean yeah, obviously don't use it for actual parachuting purposes, but it should be fine as general-purpose cord for camping etc. :)

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Some bullshit rocks: I don't believe in this stuff but I have these on my mantle for the aesthetique

AliExpress keeps recommending Orgonite pyramids like these to me. I remember a Donald Duck story about these supposedly sharpening knives if they're left with the blade under the pyramid... Somehow, I doubt it ;D

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Some outdoorsy stuff that I've been content with:
Sailing gloves. Supposedly hold water; I've yet to try them in storm conditions, but they seem fine otherwise. Stretchy, so only having the two sizes shouldn't be a problem.
A tube bandana. Good neck-warmer and wind shield, and multi-purpose. It's possible to wear it as a kind of "hood" and keep the ears covered that way.

Also, bad news for anyone in Finland: there's a tax planned for even the smallest packages from outside the EU (article in finnish). I have to wonder how much it costs to process the taxes on a 0.30€ trinket?

Finally, here's a necklace that I think is pretty cool.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I had one of these bells set up on a marble pedestal in Alicante, Spain. Nobody dared ring it. Maybe my service was adequate without it.
My friend had a girlfriend with a bell labelled "Ring for a Kiss".
Funny thing, these bells... ;)

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Trabant posted:

"I'm here to donate toothpase and kick rear end... and I'm all out of toothpaste."

I'd recommend getting a bulk pack of Miswaks instead of toothbrushes and toothpaste. Just look at the results of comparison studies on that Wikipedia page - Miswak wins the brush+paste combo. Also, less plastic waste (icky). And, consider that some homeless have dogs: they can use Miswaks, too.

Here's some spiritual content - mostly buddhist:
The Lotus Sutra in miniature capsules. I think these are supposed to go inside a statue. I don't read chinese, but I've left them at chinese restaurants as a kind of Terma.
Fire Puja Papers. Vajra is indestructible, but the image of the vajra is not.
Green Tara statue. I thought it might look nice lit from below with LEDs.
Lapis Lazuli, one of the seven treasures.
A rosary.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 6, 2019

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got some zipper pull compasses. Here's a picture:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got this hip flask. A handy way to combine two vices, although I'm going to fill the cigarette compartment with Ayurveda herbal smokes... 'Coz while I do like to smoke, I don't like tobacco.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I posted about the tent pegs I ordered and received, but I didn't mention that they were for prayer flags. Sure, there are prayer flags on Aliexpress, but you really need to consider: would you listen to the prayers of someone supporting an oppressive invasion force that exploits the word "Tibetan" in its marketing, or rather use the first link, which supports the Tibet Relief Fund?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got a paint marker. I can confirm that it is, indeed, pretty permanent, or at least resistant to rubbing alcohol.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got this foot rasp because I'm always using my fingernails to scrape the soles of my feet after a shower, and especially after a sauna. It works pretty well.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

April Fool's can be a fun search term.

- "Here, have a cock mint!"

I have half a mind to buy these and start leaving them in supermarket salad bars ;)

These seem like they could be pretty effective. Know someone a little too attached to their electronic device?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I don't know how to feel about cat costumes in general, but I saw this:
https://i.imgur.com/uDe6gIO.mp4
and, of course, AliExpress delivers. Well, I don't have cats anymore, so I'm free from temptation... ;)

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Not that exact one, but here.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Steal the Quetzalcoatl look!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

ragedx posted:

How does one find and order the best waifu on this site? I feel lonely

Which format? Are you looking for a hug pillow, a figurine, or even a life-size doll?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Anyone else into lockpicking?
There are some starter kits on AliExpress. I got my picks from Ali, as well as some practice locks, although not this particular set. It's a fun hobby.
I also have a credit card lock pick set. I don't know why this listing has only that one, uninformative picture, but here's what it looks like:

You can easily get carried away with this hobby, and there are more challenging practice locks on eBay. Of course, you'll also want to try some real locks.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Ok, so what about knock-off traditional games?
I've played the originals of both Love Letter and Splendor, and after finding AliExpress knock-offs, I'm just wondering if they are of a decent enough quality to warrant going for bootlegs?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I like folding/collapsible kitchen gadgets. I dream of a sail boat, where space is a precious commodity. Here are some I've found.
A folding grater.
A folding colander.
A collapsible funnel.

I'd like to know if you know of any more.

I found something else: these collapsible measuring cups.

Measuring cups already stack, so I'm not entirely sure if any space is actually saved with these...

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got a modular thigh panel kind of like this (mine is made by Condor, not this particular model), so I ordered a triskele badge for the admin pouch I got for it (again, the pouch is not this model, but similar). I also got a blood type patch like this, but I ordered locally.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Amphigory posted:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

I got a modular thigh panel kind of like this (mine is made by Condor, not this particular model), so I ordered a triskele badge for the admin pouch I got for it (again, the pouch is not this model, but similar). I also got a blood type patch like this, but I ordered locally.
Are you prepping for a mass shooting

Nah, I use this when boating. It's nice to have stuff near at hand. Currently, I have a flashlight, camera, and multitool on this thing. There's the zippered compartment of the admin pouch that I'll put a red filter for my flashlight in, when it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I got some trilobites. Kind of amazing that you can own something like this for less than :10bux: