Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Things you should never order from china: electronics, batteries, anything that has mains voltage going into it.
Theres a youtube guy called bigclive or something who orders electronic stuff through ali or ebay and takes it apart and some of those things are pretty dangerous.

I ordered a cheap rotary table from india. Fingers crossed it will actually arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Do not believe their soft lies. Nothing is squirrel proof. Nothing!

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone ordered from Deal Extreme lately? I remember the old GBS thread on that site. Would take like 2 months to get your order and there was a 50% chance they'd send you the wrong item or send you extra items for no reason.

DE stuff arrives in about a month from china. They have a warehouse in eu nowadays aswell so ordering from their eu site gets you your stuff faster. Havent had a problem with wrong things shipped so far and the quality is on par with stuff on alibaba.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Ordered a RAZER DEATHADDER 100% ORIGINAL MOUSE LOWEST PRICE for 22 dollars. I hope it wont be an actual dead adder in the box.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Just order something from AULA or Anker, will run you about the same as the knockoff Razer poo poo and is much better quality.

This was mostly bought for curiosity, the first thing im doing is taking a look inside. Looking at the customer feedback photos they looked real enough, no obvious misspellings etc. I wont be plugging anything from aliexpress in to my computer until ive seen whats inside

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I got my razer deathadder 3.5g, took it apart and it seems that it might actually be legit. The pcb inside was black with razer markings, all the sensors and buttons were the correct ones aswell. Razer synapse recognised it and everything.

I also got a transistor tester that for some reason has the autobot logo on it from transformers.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I was checking how much cheaper line lasers are on ali and decided to look at the customer feedback. Somebody posted a picture of a fish of somekind and a brazilian gentlemen posted a shirtless picture of himself. Useful information I'm sure.
E: found it! https://m.aliexpress.com/getSiteProductEvaluationPwa.htm?productId=32802018606

RocketSurgeon fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 8, 2017

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

So my endoscopic camera came in, I kind of wish I had waited for a sale because I paid 8 bucks for a five-footer only to see a ten-footer go on sale for that much as a flash deal. But regardless, it works well and the lights are controlled via an analog wheel. It shipped with a tiny disc and a QR code for an ad-riddled proprietary app but I just used a free Android program instead and it worked right away. For practical purposes I can see this being awesome for someone who has to work with engines or small crawlspaces (especially with the hooks and magnets attachments so you can use it for plucking and fishing), for artistry the low resolution and wiggliness means that everything looks like a Lynchian nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tpTrshLFOI
The trouble with longer ones is that when you set the leds to max brightness the video feed tends to cut off and flicker.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
My brother managed to get a fluke multimeter shipped out of germany via dhl for less than 100euros. Its a genuine fluke made for chinese and indian markets so the warranty wont work anywhere else in the world.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
My latest haul is a wonderful seinfeld shirt titled: "why am i alive"
http://s.aliexpress.com/bq2yeMVv

Also theres a Celine Dion shirt thats made to look like death metal bands shirt.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
How about a nice Nirvana shirt?
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...addresstype=600

Or Grunge Street Fighters?
https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/327...addresstype=600

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Have you ever thought about building your own sausage making empire?1?! Well think no more because ali has you covered: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/14m...addresstype=600
Ps: rename me "Pig Sausage Pipe"

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
Jackie Chan personally assured me that the mobile phone case had been shipped.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

InvisibleMonkey posted:

I also ordered some of those magnetic phone-chargers, one of which only works with the micro-usb attachment and the other one has the WORLD'S BRIGHTEST LED right at the top which lights up the room when you use it at night. Also, this spiky 'self-defence' ring that is way too big to even fit on my thumb. 1 out of 4 isn't a bad score tho.

The phone charging cables are great in theory but the magnetic end will collect metal particles so the connector wont connect properly after a while.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Crazy Achmed posted:

I recently bought a new phone and got one of these cases:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CHO....650c649bcWg7FL

It's pretty neat, clicks together out of two pieces of nicely polished bamboo (and comes apart again without damage if you need to). However, I now need to find some audio cables that have narrow enough plug housings to fit without me needing to drill the case out wider... any recommendations? I am after a short 3.5mm to 3.5mm for the aux in port on my car stereo, and a 3.5mm to RCA for my headphones.

Just use a drill or a dremel to make a larger hole. Its what ive done on most of my phone cases until recently. The sennheiser headphones I have now have a pretty narrow plug.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

flavor.flv posted:

I can't even think of what that accomplishes over a normal cut off wheel other than having more potential for small sharp pieces of metal to go flying directly into your face if anything goes wrong

It is used for wood carving

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

Raluek posted:

anyone have an ali borescope that they like? theyre probably all the same, but figured i would check with the thread just in case

The ones that connect to your phone do work but not very well. I've had trouble getting them to work on different phones. Also dont get one with a long cable because the resistance of the lenght of cable itself just crashes the camera picture if you set the led lighting to max.
My brother just ended up buying a standalone UNI-T one for like 50 bucks that seems to do the job.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
The t12 is fantastic yes. I got one for myself aswell. If any of you end up getting it know that the case isnt grounded to mains earth so you will need to do some tinkering to get that done.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

yoloer420 posted:

Wow, I just looked it up and see the uni-t uti260b claims a 256x192 resolution, is that legitimate? Seems like an amazing price if so.

I'd look for reviews but often enough ali sells models made for chinese markets really cheap despite them having the exact featuresets that the more expensive models you can buy at home have. My brother also got one of those pistolgrip style cameras and has been happy with it so far. I think it was a uni-t model aswell.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Drifting around the depths of AE and…

They even have more than one!
If you go down that wierd rabbit hole theres a frightening amount
of conspiracy and chud themed shirts around. The last time ali recommended me some boomer humor shirts making fun of Biden. One was actually close to being funny with biden embracing jimi hendrix from behind with some text saying "excuse me while I sniff this guy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008

That Dang Lizard posted:

How bad of an idea would this be? Just for making some pens or other trivial small scale stuff.

I've never used a lathe before and it seems like a low-investment and low-risk (in the sense that while I would fully read up on safety precautions, wear ear/eyepro, make sure I'm not wearing anything that might get caught, etc. if something did go wrong it wouldn't have the power to throw a work piece through me / the wall behind me) way to try it out. All the decent mini-lathes I've looked at are a fair bit bigger than this type and also a lot more expensive.

There are some youtube videos out of people testing this thing and as expected it is extremely poo poo.