Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I started reading this thread in late November (just caught up) and soon bought my first goodie off AliExpress: this make-your-own music box from the OP. I wanted it in time for Christmas, but I knew I was pushing my luck; turns out it was only a couple days late, and it didn't really matter. Since then, I've put a handful of unique, inexpensive things on my wishlist and am gearing up to place another order. One of them is for Easter, so I guess I better get going! Thanks for the thread and for everyone's suggestions on what to buy and what not to bother with.

(I also ordered a print of that adorable cuckold turtle in a ballcap out in the rain when I saw it in this thread. That one was off eBay, but still from China, and should be here in a day or two.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shinmera posted:

A laser thermometer. Advertised to be accurate down to ±1.5C.
Did you get the INFRARED one or the INFRAED one?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I put in my second order, a fairly big one this time with a handful of fun things. I was really disappointed that the thing I wanted most, an adorable stuffed chick with bunny ears, was no longer available--and the seller only told me this once I'd ordered it. :(

I wish to God I could put this in my house:

Scary Horrific Zombie Man with bloody Hands Shower Curtain Waterproof Bathroom Shower Curtains Shower 71"x71" Hot

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The first product from my first of three recent waves of AliExpress purchases has arrived!

Zipper Wrist Wallet Pouch Running Sports Arm Band Bag For MP3 Key Card Storage Bag Case Badminton Basketball Wristband Sweatband

The sleep wristband that came with my Fitbit One had long since given up the ghost; the dollar-store terry wristband I bought as a replacement did the trick, but I occasionally got some skin irritation where it held the Fitbit against my wrist. This zippered wristband works very nicely, and it's not as hot as either of the other two were. Bonus: my favorite color! I ordered it on 1/18 and it arrived on 2/1--very fast.

...Hmm, I'm looking at the picture and just now noticing the zipper teeth are messed up at the innermost end. I'll have to play with a bit; I'm not too worried about it. If worse comes to absolute worst, I have two more for backup. And they cost so little that I don't really mind too badly if it's a total loss.

Seriously, though, I have to stop reading this thread. Stuff makes it from here to my wishlist to my cart way too quickly. My most recent purchase was of three of those holographic polishes and the face vibe brush.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of phone cases, I got a couple of these babies for my S7 Edge and like them very much:

NAGFAK Luxury Electroplate Phone Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 8 S8 Plus S7 S6 Edge Cover For Samsung Galaxy A3 A5 A7 2016 Case

One blue, one gold for my gold phone. They're a little tricky to put on, but look great and don't compromise the phone's Edge functionality. They don't add much weight or bulk, either. I don't think they'll serve as any kind of protective superarmor, but my phone doesn't get that kind of heavy use, and I really only wanted something cosmetic. I thought the blue would be a little brighter, but I'm glad it's more subdued. I can vouch for the vendor, too; I ordered the cases on 1/18 and received them on 2/2.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

A few more of my things came in over the past week: the face vibe (I can't wait to use it), a bare-bones and boring but slim case for my old-rear end tablet (with a pointless mini-stylus phone-dangle freebie tossed in), and this charming shower curtain:

[MIAOJI] Lovely Owl Cartoon Kids Girl Cute Printed Polyester Fabric Bathroom Shower Curtain with Hooks Free Shipping

Available in many varieties and sizes, including one that fits my shower stall nicely without excess fabric wrapping around my wet self mid-shower. Good quality, too, with sturdy grommets and even a set of hanger-rings thrown in that'd do the trick if you didn't already have any. The seller wrote to me shortly after I'd ordered it, asking me not to rate them badly, to work with them before opening any disputes. But everything went fine, so I'm not sure what they were worried about. It's a custom-made product, I guess, and I could see some people getting tetchy if it took too long.

Speaking of feedback: I've been very careful to mark my orders as having been received and leaving feedback for each one. Oddly, I got a message the other day saying the seller had left feedback on an order. I looked all through the Feedback sections of the Website, but I can't find any seller's feedback--just my own. What am I missing?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I went looking for some nice cable ties/earbud cord wraps and found a handful:

2X Leather Cable Cord Winder Headphone Earphone Earbud Cable Tie Cord Wrap Winder Organizer Holder

3pcs/lot Multifunction Magnet Earphone Cord Winder Cable Holder Organizer Clips Multi-color Cute Magnet Earphone Winder Cable

1Pcs Earphone Wire USB Cable Cord Winder Organizer Wire Cable Holder

2pcs Cute Cartoon Earphone Winder Cable Cord Organizer Holder Phone Cable Holder

I've just added them to my wish list for now; I won't order anything until after the holiday.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I bought these a while ago and they suck. The magnet isn’t strong enough to hold unless it’s wrapped very loosely. I had better luck with a pouch that works like a coin purse that you squeeze open.

Pick posted:

I meant to mention this but I was on probation. Yeah these suck, sadly. The leather clips are better but my favorite is actually the spool design
Phooey. :( They're off the ol' wish list, then. Right now I'm just winding my cables on my hand and wrapping them with the last four inches, which works, but I wouldn't mind something a little more tidy and secure for travel. These are cuter than Velcro zip-ties, too.

Has anyone found a "valet tray" on AliExpress? I had one (a corporate freebie) that was a square of fabric with snaps in the corners so it would snap up into a little tray to hold your watch or whatever, but lay flat and/or folded up small for travel/storage. Like this:

but fabric (and not $59). I tried a lot of different search terms, but mostly got bulky folding plastic car trays and one ornate brocade fabric bowl thing meant for a wedding gift ($$$$).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

guavo posted:

I searched leather tray and found some stuff Look what I found on AliExpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32710642655/32710642655.html
I did find some ugly-rear end leather trays, but I was wondering if they existed on AliE in fabric. I'l probably have to suck it up and make one myself.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've always just used a glass bowl/large ashtray.
Unfortunately, neither of these travel well or are present in hotel rooms.

In happier news, the straggler from my first big order finally showed up: the Bob Ross minifig. Ordered on 1/18, arrived 2/21 after leaving and then returning to the regional USPS center a couple times. :raise:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

I found this one, but it’s fake leather. What kind of fabric were you thinking?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32839316381/32839316381.html

These are both pretty good--thanks! The one I had (and lost in a suitcase at ORD many years ago) was probably a one- or two-ply square of heavyweight cotton, nothing special.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

everdave posted:

I will check tonight if the one I have snaps, if it does you can have it. My very very rich Brother-In-Law gave it to me and I certainly don't care about it.
Oh, hey, thanks! :)

The New Year holiday is over, right? I have another poo poo-ton of stuff on my wish list just begging to be bought.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dienes posted:

:aaa: Are...are feet supposed to fold like that?
This is China we're talking about.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, man, that poo poo is totally my jam. I can't wait till morning, when I can properly go through that entire store, chock-full of travel-container goodness. Thanks for the tip!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I don't suppose AliExpress is any place to look for cheap Nvidia GeForce graphics cahahahahaha of course it isn't. Pisssss, my merely adequate onboard graphics card is the only thing keeping me from playing Nier: Automata. :(

Thanks again to this thread for reviews and suggestions! You haven't steered me wrong yet. The last of my previous order finally showed up, a trio of gorgeous holographic Born Pretty polishes. It was my first true Chinese Christmas, since the package tracking had punked out a couple weeks back when it hit the States and I had no idea where it was or when it would arrive. I have another couple of (color-changing) polishes in my current order that I'm looking forward to, too.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

These arrived yesterday:

2pcs Toothbrush Storage Tray Universa Tooth Brush Sucker Stand Holder Travel Oral Care Home Bathroom Tools

They were cheap even when not on sale, and came two per order despite the conflicting info in the listing ("2pcs" in the title, "Package Included: 1 x Toothbrush Stand Holder" in the description). I ordered four for travel, because the adorable toothbrush caps we'd been using that stick to the mirror now tend to get unstuck in the middle of the night, waking me up when they clatter to the counter.

These work well; even when they're not stuck to the counter like a mini-plunger, the base is wide enough not to fall over with a standard toothbrush in it. I'm mostly irritated that they gave me all one color (even if it is my favorite). I understand we don't get to choose the colors, which are chosen at random, but couldn't you at least stick your hand into a couple different bins? I got two of the same two-packs of cable ties, too. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:thunk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I had my first bad AE experience. :( I'd ordered a silicone clip with a magnet closure for my Fitbit One. The description clearly said it was for a Fitbit One, but it's about a quarter-inch too short: my Fitbit doesn't fit, not a bit (:haw:) Being silicone, you'd think it would stretch, but there's a plug of hard plastic in at least one end that prevents that.

I did acknowledge that it had arrived; it came while I was away, so that was all I could do. Now that I see it's either faulty or had a very bad description and/or photo, should I bother doing anything about it--giving poor ratings for accuracy/quality or asking for a refund? It cost me less than $2, and I doubt any other similar One clip on AE will fit any better (they all look exactly the same).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The Snoo posted:

i will say (semi-related for anyone who cares) i order my fitbit bands from china off ebay instead of aliexpress and i've had better luck there, and they've been less 'expensive' i.e. it's $1.50 per band instead of $3+ for the same drat band. mine have also arrived in the time frame ebay provides which was nice.
I did a quick search for a magnetic One clip on eBay; they're going for $7 apiece. drat! I mean, these clips might actually fit, but still.

The shipping time is another thing to consider for sure. This thing took forever to arrive and was poo poo when it did show up. Phooey.

I mostly want to leave a review for other potential buyers; I do read reviews of assorted AE poo poo and steer clear if something looks dicey. I have time to sleep on it a little.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 8, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I realized that they had sent me a clip for an entirely different model of Fitbit, which they also sell. I ended up writing the seller explaining what happened, including a photo of my incorrect product, and asking what to do next. We shall see!

I like the idea of giving a four-star rating with a detailed review, though. I'll remember that tactic.

Meanwhile, I finally broke down and bought eight strawberry bags, one in each color, and a few of those splat pigs for my son and his friends (I didn't want to support the illegal street vendors we'd seen selling them). Also a nifty clip-hanger thing for travel. I'll edit in links and photos once I'm back at my computer.

eta:

1 Pcs Cute Anti Stress Decompression Splat Ball Vent Toy Venting Ball Sticky Smash Water Ball Anti stress Goods Pig Toys

Travel Portable Cloth Hanger Rack Printing Hanging Racks With 6 Clips for Towel Sock Underwear Drying Holder Bathroom Accessorie

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 8, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My chat with the vendor on that wrong Fitbit case didn't go well. Here's a slightly simplified version:

:): Hi! I ordered case A, but I received case B, and it doesn't fit. (sends photo of case B) What's our next step?
:china:: What's the SKU on the bag it was in?
:): Here. (sends photo of SKU)
:china:: Yep, that's right. So what's the problem?
:confused: It's...it's case B. It doesn't fit. I ordered case A, which is the one shown and described on the product page. This one (insert URL for case A), not this one (URL for case B), which is what I got, and which doesn't fit. I can't use it. (sends photo of case B beside visibly larger/differently sized Fitbit and visibly larger/differently sized OEM case, plus side view of Fitbit atop case B showing that it is much too big to fit into case B)
:china:: [quoting case A specs] "Compatibility: All compatible"
:rolleyes:: So the pictures, product name, and description/specs for case A are all wrong. Gotcha. Time to open a dispute.

Only one other AliExpress vendor sells case A, and only in lots of ten or more. Phooey.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My dispute over having received the wrong Fitbit case has now been passed onto AliExpress for mediation. :ohdear:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I somehow ordered shoes which are too small for me and are also made for women, I honestly can't recall what I was thinking.

Pretty sweet shoes, though! They're not a size 40, by any chance, are they?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I remember begging my folks for one of those Mr. Fuzzy things when I was a kid, maybe in second or third grade. Then they vanished from the market until I was an adult with a kid in first or second grade, and the jaded part of me saw how they were aiming for the "OMG I loved this when I was a kid! My child must have one to love, too!" part of my brain.

If my kid wants one, he can dig around in my parents' basement for mine.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My strawberry eco bags came today! They're just as cute and convenient as advertised. I bought one in every color to put in our cars so there'll be no excuse not to have a shopping bag (or four).

The shipping label did give me pause, though:

:thunk:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My escalated dispute was resolved in my favor! It was such a dumb thing--if the supplier had only acknowledged that they'd sent me the wrong model, everyone would have walked away from this satisfied a lot sooner.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

heeheex2 posted:

Staedler? I think that’s what it’s called

e:I think it’s staedtler
Yeah, the STA "brand" in the Staetdler font is a giveaway.

Those look really good! I might snag a set myself. I have such a weak spot for pens and pencils and stuff. Not the expensive kind, but point me toward a well-stocked stationery store and I am gone.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The last piece of my latest haul just arrived (the Silpat-type nonstick baking sheet--very nice; thanks for the recommendation!), which means it's about time to start trawling AE for the next piece of bullshit I don't need but must have. Meanwhile, here's a real winner from this round:

Genuine Leather Luggage Tags Travel Accessories Suitcase Tag Name ID Address New Style Genuine Leather Bag Tags with Empty Name

I wanted a nice leather tag to go on the beautiful leather carry-on I'd splurged on in Italy last month, and this looked especially interesting because of its shape and the metal cable that connects it to the bag. You can provide a Pantone number to get whatever color you like (I wanted the yellow one they show here, called "Brown"; it's more like the default buttery tan of a Coach bag and still lovely), and have it further customized with a logo. Highly recommended.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Coincidentally, the Anova is on sale at Amazon today: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4
I can't speak to how available it is overseas, though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I recommended these cases about six months back:

Hirayuki posted:

NAGFAK Luxury Electroplate Phone Case For Samsung Galaxy Note 8 S8 Plus S7 S6 Edge Cover For Samsung Galaxy A3 A5 A7 2016 Case
(It's no longer available at the original URL.)
I still love them very much, but my S7 Edge's battery started bulging :ohdear: and I had to upgrade it before its time. (I guess when the battery bulges, it's time.) So if anyone wants this case in blue or gold, PM me and I'll send them over for the cost of shipping.

NB: I don't think the case--which is very very thin and plastic--had anything to do with the bulging battery, but it may be that the case prevented heat from dissipating as efficiently as it may have without it. PMer beware?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

congrats on your free bomb
I had it for about 18 months, not a single problem in all that time. :( And I wasn't eligible for an upgrade till November. :( :(

No, I didn't buy it off AliExpress.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I searched AliExpress for "pregnant phone" and found these gems:

AEKU M9 Ultra Thin Mini Card Phone Low Radiation Small Pocket Replace Phone For Children Pregnants PK C6 M5 E1 M8

You know, for pregnants! :haw:

They're not a bad idea, though, and probably too small/simple to contain much spyware.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

That holographic polish is gorgeous! I have it in the brighter blue and green, and the softer pink. You'll love it. :)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Over There posted:

Been using this for a long while now and it's been awesome. Recommend it to everyone.
So do I. Works great, holds a charge for forever and a day.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Have any beauty-minded goons in this thread heard much about gua sha? It involves using a contoured, polished piece of rose quartz to scrape (gently) upward over the face to improve circulation, reduce puffiness, lift the face, plump wrinkles, etc. I first read about it as part of a dumb article on easy at-home beauty treatments to do when you're bored, and the tool they linked to for sale was US$38. Sephora sells it for $28. Since it's a Chinese practice, I immediately hopped onto AliExpress and found one for $5 (there are tons of listings). I'm tempted.

China Traditional facial Gua Sha Tool health Care Natural Rose Quartz SPA Acupuncture Scraping Massage healing for make up

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

waggles posted:

Just a heads up, that purse is from Naruto.
And that kind of coinpurse is called a "toadmouth" in Japanese. :eng101: They're not always so (almost) literal.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I used to buy tiny fine pens like that almost exclusively--0.38- or 0.28-mm point. That one looks like it might not start skipping and/or shed its ball entirely and become unusable, though, which is good!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

surely the pens these are a knockoff of would be the better choice if quality control and tight tolerances are a concern
You'd think that, but my glut of inadvertently neutered original purchased-in-Japan uni-ball Signos and Pilot Hi-Tec C's would tell a different story.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can not deliver to the United States? That is some bullshit. :mad:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

yippee cahier posted:

Here are some cool small scissors to put in a drawer or to chop up weed with:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1Pc...2893953551.html
My mom had a pair of these in silver when I was little (probably still does). :3: She used them to snip floss when she cross-stitched; they worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I bought another poo poo-ton of, well, poo poo earlier this month. I always buy through the app and pay with a credit card through AliPay, so everything is paid for in one fell swoop and that's that. Very rarely I get a reminder to pay very early on in the process, but I ignore it because I figure someone just didn't check their E-mail or whatever and some wires got momentarily crossed.

Today I got a message from a seller "reminding" me to pay for my order, that the sooner I pay, the sooner it'll ship. But I ordered it on 8/8, received the "payment has been received" E-mail within the hour, and got the "order has been shipped" E-mail the very next day. Checking my order history shows the same thing: ordered, paid for, shipped, awaiting delivery. Ali says it was "despatch[ed] from the sorting center" to New York (per the tracking site) on 8/14.

So why are they hounding me for payment? Do I just ignore them, or is it worth bothering showing them a screenshot saying it's been paid? We're talking two 24-cent satin pet bowties, so it's kind of funny that they're chasing me down for such small potatoes.