Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Crazy Achmed posted:

. There is an inductor or something in the power circuit that makes a high pitched ringing, but I think replacing the PSU wouldn't be a very hard job. Overall I'm pretty impressed.

I imagine you can buy power adapters for the EL wire pretty easily, it's a 3M product. They do put out AC though so it's possible they all make a little noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I'd get one, but bathtub showers are super uncommon in Australia. We tend to have glass shower stalls with doors and a separate bath

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

http://s.aliexpress.com/jyIvyARB :nws:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

What about led filament lightbulbs? Can I be certain that they won't burn my house down?

Certainty is not what shopping on Ali is about

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I was actually researching "Chibsons" the other day but apparently they are real hit or miss, like some are just shoddily made, shameless copies and others are made by former people who worked in proper guitar factories etc.

Fwiw I've had poor luck buying Chinese carbon bike parts from Ali, but good luck on eBay

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Crazy Achmed posted:

Well, I ordered a fountain pen because the idea of something refillable and reusable sounds good to me. It arrived with the tip of the nib bent out of shape, here's hoping the seller is sympathetic gets back to me about a replacement or something :(

I wouldn't bother with a fountain pen from Ali

Either buy one of the papermate (I think) disposables that can be converted to eyedroppers or refilled with a bit of effort/mess. Or splurge $20 on eBay for a Lamy safari, the Lamy nibs are a universe apart from those crappy disposables. My last one lasted about 5 years of daily use.

Edit: I only replaced it because I thought I lost it, then the moment I ordered a new pen it reappears :iiam:

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Amphigory posted:

My Wife keeps buying things from Amazon, and when they turn up, they're in the same packaging with the same China post marks as my Aliexpress poo poo...

That's why you need to buy things that are actually fullfilled (or sold by) Amazon themselves

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Snowy posted:

I can’t imagine these plated bars have any legitimate use besides being used as film props and prop makers wouldn’t be ordering from AliExpress

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/F77ZfMzA

A lot of stuff on AliExpress is the same poo poo that gets imported by the container load by retailers and other suppliers. If you were a small film maker you certainly would look places like AliExpress if you couldn't beg borrow steal locally from prop suppliers

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pick posted:

No, it's actually due to China abusing international mail rules designed to aid developing countries

Yep

Australia is talking about a $7/package fee for all incoming packages (earmarked to fund our border stormtroopers for some reason) because our postal service has to subsidise packages so much

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Pick posted:

Lol because it already costs me like $55 to send a small box to your hell island

The fee will be payable on our end, probably along with a $20 shopping mall restoration and processing fee

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Also most of our states have introduced $2/trip levies on uber to pay out cash to taxi plate owners who have had their "investments" go up in smoke. Our country sucks balls

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

mike12345 posted:

I looked into this, almost every review I found was a "no buy"

What about the android tv boxes?

I'm guessing the correct answer is still just "buy the fire stick hd" for like :10bux: more

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I definitely get spam from aliexpress, because I use a unique "." for each website. So, if one is MGS@gmail and then for ali I only use M.GS but for another website I'll use MG.S. With gmail you can put a period anywhere and it doesn't matter.

A lot of the spam comes in to only the M.GS one.

You can also put myemail+whateveryouwant@gmail.com

However a lot of sites won't accept a plus sign as valid in an email address because there are numerous bad regexes floating around for email (or they don't want you using this trick)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

mike12345 posted:

Alternatively, get your own domain and make up poo poo e-mails on the fly.

It's a shame google took away the free tier for mail hosting

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Crotch Fruit posted:

Are Ali condoms a bad idea? My gut say hell no but aren't all condoms made in China anyways?

I don't think I've ever bought a Chinese manufactured condom in my life. They all seem to be made in thailand.

If you want to save money on them just find someone selling fallen off a truck or bulk (ie out of a 1000 unit box) local stock on eBay.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

People put far worse things inside them than that

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Bought one of these stubby wrenches for my bike kit in the sale and I have to say it seems like an excellent tool. We'll see once I actually try to use it and the chrome plating chips off.

http://s.aliexpress.com/n6byMRrE

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Sex Robot posted:

Only if the treadmill costs less than $15 and takes over 4 months to ship.

And has a 50/50 chance of being made of toxic substitute materials that will poison your kids

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Bummey posted:

You don't get to choose which one you get? I realize this is a first world problem for a privileged western person quite literally exploiting literal slave labor from china but

Apparently you can pick, you are meant to contact the seller to select a choice. It's in the freebies how-to page soemwhere

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

As someone from Australia the idea of importing random plant diseases from China on AliExpress seeds just seems insane

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

So the current state of the art in lithium 18650 cells is about 3600mAh.

Turns out the secret is to package up a lovely cell that holds 980mAh and put an extra zero on the wrapper

http://s.aliexpress.com/mURveaYR

There are some measurements people took in the reviews...

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

subpar anachronism posted:

Thanks to whomever recommended the unlabeled ray-bans or whatever they were, the acetate sunglasses. Mine came and are quite nice and feel very solid.

I bought a different set of sunglasses from the same store and was disappointed that they do not have proper hinges in them (they were a plastic frame pair) so beware

Edit: although at $8 i'm not actually complaining

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ralph Crammed In posted:

It'd maybe be worth it if your household did a lot of deer hunting, but I can't imagine any reality in which you don't have your own meat source and the ham maker is an efficient purchase.

This tends to hold for making your own jerky/biltong too. And that doesn't need any special equipment

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Someone posted some cable organiser wallets a while back, I could totally use that now that I'm in hot-desk hell.
Anyone remember the seller that was recommended?

Velcro straps are good but they don't hold up to being tossed in a backpack week after week, and having my cables kept tidy along with notebooks and my variety of dongles would be good.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

yoloer420 posted:

The correct search term for cable wallets is "bubm". It's a brand of cable wallets, but also sounds funny.

Thanks, that should do nicely thanks.
That sort of thing is like $30 on the high street, $5 shipped from Aliexpress is not even close to that

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Yeah, but I went with a smaller one

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

strangehamster posted:

All storage products are fake.

Also batteries

"10000mAh" 18650 cells are all over Ali

Occasionally you see someone who buys one and measures it, often they are less than 1000 (current state of the art is about 4000mAh)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

mobby_6kl posted:

I did buy a pair of 14430 batteries for my hair trimmer from ebay and they actually measured slightly above the rated capacity (650 over 600mAh or so). The Roomba battery from banggood seems to be as good if not better than stock, though I haven't measured it yet. Definitely a bit of a gamble though but not buying ridiculously overrated stuff seems to help.

also not buying from sellers that deal in obviously mislabeled goods is a good idea.
I've seen forget sellers selling both 10000mAh and 300mAh 18650 cells, while the low one is mislabeled I wouldnt expect a 3500mAh battery from them to meet the advertised charge

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Salty Josh posted:

I don't know about ali expresses' shipping but just ordered a phonecase/charger from Amazon with regular shipping and it came in next day.

Ali better get his poo poo together.

I was looking at some things on Ali and was balking at the price being $100 (they are playing silly games with stock availability/skus to make them appear in search for $40)

Same item on Amazon is $600

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

KinkyJohn posted:

I found a sous vide that looks very similar to the popular Anova sous vide cooker.

It’s actually identical and also has the bluetooth functionality of the Anova, so I’m guessing that, since the Anova originates from a kickstarter project, the chinese company that produced it for them decided to sell it on their own simply without any branding.

This is good news for me because there is no way for me to import the 220v Anova from the US or UK without having to pay at least four times the retail price.

So $89 seems like a good deal for an unbranded Anova

I wouldn't assume that, and I also wouldn't plug anything from Aliexpress into the mains. Let alone leave it unattended near water for a number of hours.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

A lot of my ebay stuff comes from India and is always in a cardboard box with a linen bag sewn around it.

Surely they aren't using linen as a packing material!?!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

goatface posted:

Could also just be something else in a linen weave.

I would bet on this. Linen is expensive because it isn't produced on anywhere near the scale of cotton or synthetics.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Aww man, AliExpress is going to collect sales tax on Australian orders now

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

That Dang Lizard posted:

I don't think this is true? or at least they don't seem to have implemented it.

I tried adding an example item to my cart and changing the "ship to" country from Australia to various other contries and observed no price difference or "GST Collected: " lines appearing.

I strongly suspect they'll either just outright refuse to collect GST, or try to push collection to the individual sellers.

I got a push message to my phone and a notice in-app (like the sales overlays that come up) that they would be applying 10% at checkout to remit to the ATO.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Betazoid posted:

Genuine Leather Bracelet Wrist Band Watch Strap For Fitbit Alta HR / Alta Fitness Tracker
$ 4.98
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gen...2819183451.html

I hope you luck out on this one.
What I've learnt from phone cases is that "genuine leather" means "PU leather" (i.e. polyurethane) unless they specify cow leather somewhere in the description.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Ordered something for ~$300 and they said it'd take 10 days to ship it out, less than two weeks later it arrived and still isn't marked as shipped.

If I just quietly ignore it Ali will refund me, but then I'll feel bad

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

cakesmith handyman posted:

Yeah that's just flat out theft buddy.

Like I said, id feel bad!

The best I can do is continue extending their processing time and send them a message

Edit: turns out they shipped it on Thursday and the AliExpress site must have had some issues, I'm certain I checked the status on Saturday and it still said waiting for shipping. The email just got missed in between all the Amazon shipping advices from prime day

norp fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 23, 2018

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It probably just auto-disputes it when the timer counts down to zero

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Miaou posted:

Ha, I wish. It doesn't auto-dispute. You just run out of time to be able to dispute it, so if you forget about initiating one over how crap your item is / how you never received it, you're SOL.

Are you sure? On screen it says something like "the seller has X days to ship your item or it will be automatically refunded". I'm not talking about the dispute/not-recieved timer, I'm talking about the one before they mark it shipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Just sort by price low-high, nobody will steal the ones at the top of the list