Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The newest episode of the Reply All podcast is about stores who drop ship AliExpress stuff from marked up Shopify websites in the US. Reminded me of the Ramen hoody posted a few pages back. Probably interesting enough listening to people in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry yeah, was phone posting and presumed everyone liked to listen to podcasts in different ways anyway. It’s generally a good, well produced show too so worth checking out other episodes that look interesting (the Indian ‘calling from Microsoft you have a virus’ call center scam was pretty crazy).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's the pair.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Having a box full of bits that have fallen out of your baby is fine and good. Having a box full of bits that have fallen off someone else's baby is not OK.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Finally my storage concerns are answered, and at a bargainous price to boot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NoneMoreNegative posted:

My 'walk home from gym' cap has gotten a bit manky, time for a new hat - what does Ali have for me?

:piss:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/hig...2817233845.html

I was walking around Manhattan in 2014 and the streets were full of people selling this crap. Only place I’ve ever seen that style, which is a positive at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

Recently had an instagram advertisement regarding carbon-fibre wallets because "the dad wallet is dead!". It looked reasonably sleek, with a clip for paper money and compartment for cards. Navigating too many cards would be annoying. I then saw the purchase page of these items - listed for around $110 USD. My next thought was "surely, Ali has a version of this." A quick search for "metal wallet" gave dozens of potential results. All about 90% cheaper. I think it will make a fine gift.

The irony being that the Ali ones actually scan everything in your wallet and send it to China. (Kidding, unless they're one step ahead!)

--

I use ParcelTrack on my iPhone which covers a ton of vendors, but I don't see EMS listed and from experiences purchasing "fan tribute" sports jerseys years ago, the site isn't the best. By any chance is it the same as China Post, or is that an internal system? If not, anyone know if any of the other options work? Not the end of the day if not, and I'll just leave a tab open.

As it's customary to share your wares - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32911968624.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.3aff6392xdNv0D (basically one of those fighting arcade sticks that run emulators. Anyone else here grabbed one? Expensive but at least due to the only official channel being Ali Express I should be able to resell if I get bored).

There's nothing quite like the shipping cost being almost as much as the item itself, but these things are big.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I still obey the age old adage of don’t put anything from Ali in yourself, don’t put yourself inside anything from Ali.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wonder if those things might make long haul flights more comfortable...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

BCD on Ali stands for Brings Certain Demise.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It makes me laugh that of all the things I’ve had delivered to the house in the last 3 years, of course the package from Ali Express is one of about three that needed a signature.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There used to be a thread of 70s magazine ads for coke accessories, and this was definitely one of them. Some amazing stuff amongst it, I wonder if they all got repro'd by the Chinese so many years later.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lol just lol if you're tracking ali packages

My EMS one recently tracked pretty much spot on through 17track.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone had a positive experience with a cheap dashcam? I live in a particularly stupid part of the country, so having video of the idiots in front of me sounds like fun. Don’t really care about getting super quality footage from a legal aspect, just a ‘can you believe this dumbass’ poo poo to send to friends back home.

Naturally I won’t bundle with an SD card from the vendor and will just get one from best buy. Only care about the front view. Microphone quality just needs to capture my Tarantino levels of swearing.

Most of the reviews I see on Ali are Russians in broken English saying the device arrived in one piece but they’ve not actually used it, which is to be expected.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Humphreys posted:

You might have to elaborate there :)

South Florida, aka the convergence of the worlds worst drivers. At the same time I’m a new, albeit legal, driver so I also don’t pay attention to things like red lights or railroad crossings so I won’t pretend that any output I create isn’t self incriminating.

Shut up Meg posted:

I think we're at the stage where pretty much anything other than bottom of the barrel is going to give good quality 1080p in daylight, so go hog wild.
You might find that the bundled SD card is cheaper than the Best Buy option and who cares if it is a quality one or not - it's for fun, so save the cash.

A lot of Ali stuff appears on Amazon, so you can check out English reviews there. Just be aware they make knock-offs of everything, so check the brand/model name carefully.

Ok cool! This is the kind of thing I was looking at -

US $36.99 26% Off | 70mai Dash Cam Car DVR Wifi APP Voice Control Dashcam Full HD 1080P Night Vision Car Camera Auto Video Recorder G-sensor
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/NTQ4TqvS

So if I just grab that and their cheap bundled microSD then that should work out well enough? Sounds good to me!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pimblor posted:

If you can stand it, look over at /r/dashcam. There's a side bar with various recommendations. Also get an SD card rated for dashcams, the constants writes to the card ruin regular SD cards in about 6 months.

Ah neat, will give that a browse. Thanks!

Shut up Meg posted:

Just FYI, we have a dashcam thread of its very own:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3597215

and if you're planning to spend more than $20 on a camera, take a look at Techmoan
http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ0Tm9FFpKM
Just be aware that his videos are quite old, so a lot of stuff that was cutting edge and expensive is now cheap.

S.Florida is hot, isn't it? You might want to consider something that can run on a capacitor rather than a battery as the heat can kills batteries.

E: YI Dashcam from Amazon for $50
https://www.amazon.com/YI-1080P60-Dashboard-G-Sensor-Recording/dp/B01C89GCHU/
Very good brand and you get Amazon delivery and service, inc warranty.

Ha, yeah everything I know (not much) about dashcams is from his channel. Yeah he hasn’t rated many recently, I watch pretty much everything he puts up even if it doesn’t directly interest me. Yeah it’s hot as balls down here so that sounds a good plan, especially if I’m parked with no shade. The Yi will be my top runner for now then, definitely makes it a bit easier just relying on amazon. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm looking for a wireless charging pad. Any recommendations?

I crave danger

I use Anker ones from Amazon, one of them was only like $14 and works fine. The more expensive one has a higher build quality and I expect it charges faster, but the cheap one doesn't any issues. They use microusb connectors to connect to the wall which are naturally crap, but can't avoid that I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry to double post, but hopefully some good news for people -

Chase Freedom has listed their categories for 5% cashback for the final quarter, and in the Department Stores section Ali Express is specifically listed. So if you have that card, or you're in the market for a new one and you regularly use Ali then that's a nice bonus. You can earn up to $75 per quarter on that 5% deal, then back to 1% for everything over/any other purchases. Wish it was in place a month or so ago when I spent a few hundred there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

AirPods sound the exact same as EarPods. While they’re great in terms of how they work, they’re not renowned for good sound quality. Apple are doing IEMs next tho, which should be a big leap.

Being able to get a good seal on the ear just makes such a difference. For $10 I usually buy a pair of JVC Gummy IEMs, not wireless obviously but great value and decent sound.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Area man horrified to learn design he stole is not cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a Kanye video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQgjq0mCdE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Holy poo poo that’s amazing. Helicopter costing mad loving $$$ and poor people with basic tech can render it useless.

Antifa probably getting their orders in as we speak.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hirayuki posted:

Would 17track help with that? I use it for all my Ali stuff and even some domestic packages: https://t.17track.net/en

Yeah 17track somehow does a better job than other trackers. Useful to remember.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

God, I really want a (non broken) gavel now for meetings at work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original was circular, it’s a shame all the fakes messed that up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the reverse spin was my first guess but then I wrote it off thinking it couldn’t be that. It’s a neat trick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kharmakazy posted:

Right. And you yourself didn't bother to do this before coming here to chastise everyone. You came to the cheap Chinese crap thread, virtue signalling to everyone that they should take steps that you yourself refused to take, and apparently also refused to read the thread you did it in.

Olive! posted:

You suck

E: just to expand, I don’t think anyone who throws out the phrase ‘virtue signaling’ isn’t a tremendous dickhead so you might want to rethink your phrasing.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 2, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

brocked posted:

There's probably a better thread for this, but are those Pandora Box things with like 200 old arcade games loaded on them any good?

Stick to the actual Pandora’s Box from this store -
https://a.aliexpress.com/_rJFaY9 - or the Pandora’s Key I believe goes beyond just being a janky clone.

I like, but not love, mine. I have a PB6 and there’s some screen tearing in some games which bugs me and a lack of being able to control screen output much, so if you don’t like 16:9 stretched games you’re out of luck. If you don’t care about stuff like that and just want a fun toy thing then it’s neat for sure. Kinda sucks the postage is about the same as the unit!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have one of those keychain straws on its way, just so I can break one of the principal rules of Ali.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RandomFerret posted:

You're going to plug it into the wall??

It’s like the adult version of putting a 9V battery on your tongue.

wheatpuppy posted:

Just make sure it has a flared base.

As someone who ignores instruction manuals and just gets to work, I appreciate this tip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ages back I bought an aluminum straw from Ali because I live in a coastal town that (rightly) wants to decrease the use of plastic straws. Those paper things aren’t particularly pleasant so I thought this would be a neat thing to have on a keychain.

Except look at the size of the bloody thing. It looks more like a cosh* than a straw. Yeah I don’t think I’m gonna bother.

* as expected this is a british thing. Thing small expandable baton to beat people with.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I appreciate that you remember the conversation, and now I’m pretty sure this is three sounds attached to eachother. I hope it wasn’t pre-used at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah if you’re having fun playing with junk then go for it, but you can get Firestick 4Ks for $25 on sale that’ll install plex and kodi that work great out of the box.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

freelop posted:

Lockdown has had me buying all sorts of random things from Ali and the first weird thing arrived:

Final Fantasy VII NES edition

It actually works! Played as far as returning to the slums after blowing up the first reactor

Probably has better voice acting than Remake does, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Which identikit YouTube channel will be the first to buy one?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Humphreys posted:

Right so I've been eyeing this off for quite a while now... nice deal going on tomorrow!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000418515632.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.1dd42e0ekcmXhE

The one it ripped off probably wouldn’t be that much more expensive and would be better supported.

https://www.retrotink.com/product-page/retrotink-2x

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Stripper heels in business form, I can dig it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Moo the cow posted:

Has anyone bought a printed t-shirt from Ali?

I have a hankering for something Weyland-Yutani

https://www.lastexittonowhere.com/ will be more expensive than Ali, but they do original designs and have been around for years. Pretty sure the W-Y shirt was one of their first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You know you’ve see too many Ali/wish ads when you guess that right away.