Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mr. Fowl posted:

Try Misapporpriations Investigator Rintaro Nakabo. It's a manga by the artist of Fist of the North Star. Imagine if a guy built like Kenshiro were empowered by Bill Clinton to fix the Japanese economy after the bubble burst.

Of course, our esteemed OP may also be referring to the variety of anime and manga themed around workplaces.
You know, my first instinct was "running a small business", specifically something like

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

frankenfreak posted:

You know, my first instinct was "running a small business", specifically something like

:v:

Hey, no one's stopping you from making not-recettear the trpg.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm not sure what sci-fi doesn't cover, honestly, outside of outright fantasy. It's a bit troublesome. I have some ideas but it's tough to think of something that might lead to interesting mechanics actually related to anime that isn't just... a sci-fi game.

Well, Outlaw Star would be a great place to start. Sure, it has spaceships and going around the galaxy exploring and docking and meeting different species, but it HAS A NUDE WOMAN WORK AS A PART OF THE SHIP, AND SHIPS HAVE ARMS AND FIGHT EACH OTHER. So do Sci-Fi, but anime it up, I guess?

The offer still stands to swap out a genre for the one not in the original list, if anyone feels like their selection is too vague and they want to try what's in the mystery box.

Bendigeidfran posted:

This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to enter this anime contest!

Your hand turns to you and says "Well, how about those Slice of Life animes?"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TheSoundNinja posted:

Your hand turns to you and says "Well, how about those Slice of Life animes?"

Awesome, I can totally work with this. Just got to look through Ryuutama again, watch me some Patlabor, lightly season with Fruits Basket and garnish with a dash of Natsume Yuujinchou...

So for Slice of Life I can aim for a relaxed feeling instead of relying on the "school hijinks" segment of the genre right? Like take Patlabor for example. It's technically a Real Robot/Police series, but it's super low-key most of the time and focused on the daily lives of the characters. You'd be hard pressed to say it's not slice-of-life in spirit. And I mean...it's one of my favorite shows and I wanna put its influences in my silly anime RPG :v:

I completely understand if incorporating that kinda thing steps on other genres' toes too much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
You're always going to get genre overlaps with stuff like fantasy/sci-fi/slice of life, and almost always with the other genres as well, so it wouldn't make much sense to not let people do real robot slice of life or sci-fi isekai or fantasy police procedurals or whatever, IMO.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, my assumption is that there can be some degree of genre crossover as long as the focus is on our assigned genre. I know that, pending incompatible Modifier, my Giant Robot idea is going to be fantasy-flavored.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I'll fight too! I'd love to try my hand at this.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Alright, I definitely need some examples here since "business" sounds very vague and generic on its own.

Try Investor Z?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

I'll fight too! I'd love to try my hand at this.

A ghost comes out of your gaming machine.

"It's Cyberpunk and/or Transhumanism" it says.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

Awesome, I can totally work with this. Just got to look through Ryuutama again, watch me some Patlabor, lightly season with Fruits Basket and garnish with a dash of Natsume Yuujinchou...

So for Slice of Life I can aim for a relaxed feeling instead of relying on the "school hijinks" segment of the genre right? Like take Patlabor for example. It's technically a Real Robot/Police series, but it's super low-key most of the time and focused on the daily lives of the characters. You'd be hard pressed to say it's not slice-of-life in spirit. And I mean...it's one of my favorite shows and I wanna put its influences in my silly anime RPG :v:

I completely understand if incorporating that kinda thing steps on other genres' toes too much.

In all the editing of a pancake party trailer for a client, I totally missed your question! Thousand pardons, my friend.

In what way can you shape the mechanics to encourage that feeling? I love the way PbtA games use their experience point questions to encourage and celebrate players embracing the tenants and feel of the genre they are going for.

Slice of Life could be used in these other genres, but the relationship dynamic and interaction with the world as a whole (and how that affects the characters) would make your game your assigned genre rather than something else.

Does that help?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

TheSoundNinja posted:

In all the editing of a pancake party trailer for a client, I totally missed your question! Thousand pardons, my friend.

In what way can you shape the mechanics to encourage that feeling? I love the way PbtA games use their experience point questions to encourage and celebrate players embracing the tenants and feel of the genre they are going for.

Slice of Life could be used in these other genres, but the relationship dynamic and interaction with the world as a whole (and how that affects the characters) would make your game your assigned genre rather than something else.

Does that help?

It does, yes. After doing some thinking I guess the core feeling you'd get out of Slice of Life is a kind of episodic-ness. Each part isn't dramatically connected to the next, doesn't shake the foundations of reality, etc. Instead they're more meandering, filled with loose ends and time to smell the roses. You know, like real life. And it all comes together into a sort of "status quo". If a show can get battles with criminal mecha-pilots or conflicts with ancient youkai to feel like just another day in the life, that is what I'd call an accomplishment.

Incidentally, I'll def. have some mechanic for eating extended, lovingly-animated meals :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

*comes racing into the thread, gasping for breath due to the effort of clicking on the forum post* Did someone say ANIME?

But seriously, I could use a project to distract me from the piss-reeking hellscape that is real life so I'm down for this. Is it still open?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rangpur posted:

*comes racing into the thread, gasping for breath due to the effort of clicking on the forum post* Did someone say ANIME?

But seriously, I could use a project to distract me from the piss-reeking hellscape that is real life so I'm down for this. Is it still open?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Yes, we're still open for business. The thread's quiet due to anime binging, I presume.

TheSoundNinja fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 21, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm just trying to figure out which side of the genre I want to go with. There aren't a lot of organized crime anime (although the ones out there tend to be very good.)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

When's the Modifier being released? Got a concept already just need to know this before I start.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Heck, I´m still fishing in the pond which period I want to settle the game concept in!
And how big the swords are supposed to be in a Period Piece anime. (And yes, that question counts for WW2 as well)

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Plutonis posted:

When's the Modifier being released? Got a concept already just need to know this before I start.

That'll be the cut-off for sign ups: January 28th at 11:59p CST. I'll be posting it right after that.

Kwyndig posted:

I'm just trying to figure out which side of the genre I want to go with. There aren't a lot of organized crime anime (although the ones out there tend to be very good.)

*coughcough*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY_s1L-MdKc
*Cough Sleepy is technically both COUGH*

Ahem, pardon me. Had a suggestion clogging up the pipes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mr.Misfit posted:

Heck, I´m still fishing in the pond which period I want to settle the game concept in!
And how big the swords are supposed to be in a Period Piece anime. (And yes, that question counts for WW2 as well)

As big as their dreams, my friend, as big as dreams.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

As big as their dreams, my friend, as big as dreams.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Man, Shonen is delightfully broad, but entirely worth it. Already got ideas to make things fit the genre - in cases of broad things like this, we should be aiming to get the core "feel" if I understand correctly, so there's a lot of fun to mind.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

TheSoundNinja posted:

SPORTS!

Yes, we're still open for business. The thread's quiet due to anime binging, I presume.
A genre I'm actually familiar with, shockingly. Less certain on how to turn it into a tabletop RPG, but most sports already have clearly defined rules so it's a good starting point. Do I need to present a game that can be used to run any sport, or can I specialize?

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Rangpur posted:

A genre I'm actually familiar with, shockingly. Less certain on how to turn it into a tabletop RPG, but most sports already have clearly defined rules so it's a good starting point. Do I need to present a game that can be used to run any sport, or can I specialize?

I would recommend specializing, as that will probably be easier for you. Perhaps a sport underrepresented by the anime industry?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheSoundNinja posted:

I would recommend specializing, as that will probably be easier for you. Perhaps a sport underrepresented by the anime industry?

Going by there being more than one show or one really popular show...

Well that rules out Football (both kinds), cycling, basketball, baseball, table tennis, regular tennis, figure skating, competitive swimming, boxing, volleyball, martial arts, and probably at least one other sport I've overlooked.

edit: Comedy option, just make up a sport, like Keijo!!! (gently caress if I'm typing out all those exclamation points) did.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 21, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CURLING!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

No joke I would watch a curling anime if they did the actual sport part over the top and the rest of the show was really good character interactions.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Competitive spelling bees!!!!

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 21, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Do sports include stuff like Gamble Fish/Kaiji because that could be a badass choice too

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Extreme Go Fish where a billionaire will explode your face if you lose or give you 5 million bucks if you win

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cheerleading
Paintball
Illegal street racing
Competitive eating
Space race (Like matchbox racing but with rockets and the moon as target and kid geniuses as the inventors and racers)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There have been several airsoft anime. Over there it's more popular than paintball is.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Has there been anime about competitive circumnavigation by sailboat?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

remusclaw posted:

Has there been anime about competitive circumnavigation by sailboat?

Yacht Rock Shooter

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Well, you got me to google for it.

vv Accepted. Yes it should be. vv

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 22, 2017

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
My apologies, it's not an actual anime but by god it should be.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

No joke: I started watching curling as a joke, and it loving won me over. Shits so cool...

Plutonis posted:

Do sports include stuff like Gamble Fish/Kaiji because that could be a badass choice too

Traditional Games or Video Games would totally count! The best examples I can think of aside from Keiji would obviously be Akagi (same universe and creator as Keiji, but about Mah Jong and Organized Crime) and the first season of Cardfight!! Vanguard.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Chihayafuru is also totally a sports anime, but you know, with a card game based around classical poetry. It's got friendship and poo poo all up in it like a sports anime should.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For me I've already got the OVA in mind to borrow/emulate/steal from primarily(well it and a bunch of stuff from the production company that made it), so there's going to be a lot of stuff besides horror jammed in

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

On a related note, this happened:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I will try doing this because I love anime and its my only and best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A necessary price for TPP not to destroy the doujin industry.

• Locked thread