Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
This is not so much a recruit post, because I already recruited for this. This is more a place to store thoughts and bounce ideas and sheets and stuff for the game and function as an OOC post.

I'll start posting some more details and stuff when I am feeling either less sick or have more focus, and we should be able to get underway pretty soon if everyone's got their characters solidified...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cap Martin
My sheet is here.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Zoe Lévesque

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mary Jane Pickford
Sheet here.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Rumors exercise!

An idea I had, that I figured I'd propose to folks here: one of those little chargen exercises where you tease extra hooks out by dangling candy in front of each player. The writeups for vampires in Night Horrors: Immortal Sinners are laid out with a subheader for Rumors, each of which is a couple sentences in italics, framed as a story spread around the domain about the vampire that implies something creepy or interesting, and then a short paragraph or two expounding on what's going on behind that rumor from third person omniscient, though not always conclusively. Some of them have a Legacy section that follows, which introduces some character development token the vampire has.

There's a free offering that demonstrates it in the form of the Man Himself.

So the exercise I'm proposing, if folks are interested: accompany the description of your character with three Rumors, and as the dangling carrot if we all decide to do it, take a Legacy in the form of... what, three experiences' worth? of whatever, as long as it pertains to the Rumors in some way.

Thoughts? Do we feel like it?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I like it I'm all for it

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Addisu Tadesse

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 1, 2017

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

"I'm so glad you could make it! Drink this. No, don't ask anything, just drink it. It's like a fun little mystery!"

Mary Jane Pickford often roosts in the attic of a small and unaccomplished sorority at the edge of the university campus, bordering the party roads of pizza places and liquor stores that she informally claims as her territory for feeding. Her flighty caprices earned her the nickname "canary" or "witch-bird" from some of the older or more pretentious vampires of Barrie, who hold her at arm's length: a dangerous mix of careless youngling and cloying sweetheart, in the habit of constantly taking more than was offered. She's as generous as she is grabby, though, and trusted perhaps more than she should be by the younger Kindred and ghouls of the area, who find her chirpiness charming. She has spent nearly a year in the care of the local Acolytes, and gets along with most of them well, though her intellectual grasp of their spiritualism is almost nonexistent. Her understanding of the Acolytes is visceral: the rush of feeding, the snapping of bone, and the endless pursuit of physical satisfaction.

Rumors

"Piece of advice, kid: if you're looking for the truth behind our history, don't talk to anyone who's capital-O Old. Princes, primogen, grandsires: a vampire who lets you know how old he is is a vampire who's working an angle. The interesting stories don't advertise themselves. Take Mary Pickford, the witch-bird. Stupid flighty neonate, right? Talk to her about music sometime, and see how long before she notices she's dropped a load of Roaring Twenties references and zips up. You won't get a straight interview out of her. But that's what makes the story interesting, isn't it?"

Mary's very much a modern girl, but she sometimes momentarily forgets what era she's supposed to be modern for. She periodically restyles her hair and often shows a bit of flapper style, with curly bobs and updos mixed in with more unkempt contemporary looks, and her name is a dead giveaway for anyone with the thought to Google it, borrowed from a 20s movie starlet with only slight variation. While her already foggy memory rarely dredges up anything earlier from that period, rumors tie her to incidents that imply a still older legacy...

"The Acolytes like their ceremony and it's all very shocking and avant-garde, but don't think that's all there is to them. Not in Toronto, and not in Barrie. They're up to something. Look at this, scanned copy I got off a guy I know in the Movement out of town. Signed shipping manifest for an old container crate they paid to haul all the way up here from Phoenix, Arizona, rusty and fire-charred. Came with a picture. Look at those four long slashes on the crate's side. I wanna know: what are the Acolytes doing with VII's leftovers?"

One of the senior Acolytes did import a container crate from evidence holding in the state of Arizona last year, through various backroom deals and go-betweens. The train derailment which sent it hurtling off a bridge has been left unsolved for over a decade, the only clue being a set of anti-government leaflets found prepared at the site of the derailment, which waxed poetic about the FBI setting kerosene fires as the sun rose upon a doomed homestead. Mary Pickford was introduced to Barrie's All-Night Society a little under a month after the crate's delivery.

"We raise the memory of our Mother in the Blood through experience, because thinking alone is not understanding. You will learn what I mean. But the Mother's Army sometimes has natural prodigies. Sister Mary hears the Mother's voice within, though I have not taught nor sensed her use a single rite of Crúac. She feels it like the blood sympathy you feel, the ties between sire and childe. She is crude, and unlearned, but she, too, has something to teach you."

Mary Pickford has a sort of sixth sense. The Blood roils within her like the calls of worried animals before a storm, whispering ragged shreds of coming doom and misfortune, and on the nights before great moments of death or undoing, even from across the city, she displays odd behavior, sometimes fits of carefree mania, sometimes a strange calm. Not all of the local Acolytes take stock in Mary's omens, but they have given the Circle advantage more than once.

Made blocks for Cap, Zoe and Addisu.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 24, 2017

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
So areas of interest. We've talked about this a bit on IRC but hey neat let's just get some of it recorded for posterity.

Barrie is subject to the Prince of Toronto, who actually runs a great big chunk of southern Ontario surrounding Toronto by handing out domains to other powerful vampires in exchange for fealty. It's ruled by Duke Michael Garrick, a Nosferatu with a boring name belonging to the Ordo Dracul. As such it's pretty laissez faire around town in terms of political vampiring.

The hospital and the college are in the north end of Barrie, next to one another. Royal Victoria Hospital serves the Barrie area. There's a Daeva nurse working there who likes to watch the patients and intercede in their lives, for good or for ill, based on criteria only she knows. Georgian College is not a hugely prestigious school, but one can get either a university degree or a college diploma in a surprisingly wide range of subjects there (remember there's a difference in Canada!) and it houses a fair number of students despite the lack of prestige as a result. The first floor of its library is primarily a computer lab, but above are several floors of stacks, haunted more by the university students than those seeking more technical hands on education (there's a pilot school and an automotive school f'rexample.)

Near there the hunting is okay, but the best hunting is downtown, at the Rack. The Rack is centered around the Five Points, a grandiose name for a rather unimpressive intersection that nonetheless terminates one of the main hub streets of Barrie, Bayfield Street. There's a lot of restaurants, bars, coffee shops, tattoo parlors, head shops, and other such businesses, and lots of foot traffic. Notably there's also the Elysium, a privately owned cinema with secret late night showings, often of bizarre or terrifying films, owned by the Duke. He prohibits hunting or feeding within the theatre itself, but there's plenty of food to be had nearby.

Barrie is a town driven partly by tourism, so there's often lots of out of towners coming through, on their way to cottages in the summer and fall, or to skiing destinations in the winter. Lots of festivals along the waterfront, lots of opportunities for victims who won't be missed.

more later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

"Now, in the old folklore, especially in Eastern European areas, you get the conflation of vampires and werewolves. In fact, the Slavic vǎrkolak or the Greek vrykolakas, kine terms for vampires in those languages - and similar words in others like them - if you trace them back, they come from a root word meaning wolf. Now, the older people would tell you that that's ridiculous, that the Uratha and the Kindred are separate creatures and mortals simply fuddled the myths or misinterpreted the Beast - I mean, you've seen Gangrels and Nosferatu, you know Kindred can be rear end-ugly. But...what if there is a common ancestry? Somewhere, way early? I mean, Hyenas share a common ancestor with cats. Bears and weasels do, too. It's just a thought."

Zoe knows what the importance of tradition is. After all, centuries upon centuries of peoples have lived and died in societies upheld by cultural, social and other values. She's studied them all. Well, most of them. Particularly the tales about the things that go bump in the night. Something of a personal interest - and the subject of her thesis. But that was when she was mortal, and then she got turned. So now she knows that she really knew nothing at all. Glimpses, yes, fragments of knowledge from the corners of the eyes of mortals that saw too much, remembered scarcely inbetween the lines of old wives' tales. The real thing, the night-world...it's so much more. So she learned the basics. The rules. She looks at history, at foreign traditions, of all the things vampires say you should and shouldn't do. Every night, she learns more of the Danse, of the Traditions, of everything that makes the Kindred what they are.

And every night, she theorizes on what could be true, and experiments with what she knows is true. Why not? Her sire has impressed upon her clearly the power of the Kindred - and more particularly of the Circle. She is more than just a librarian, now. In the All-Night Society, nothing matters but power. And there's only one way to get power. Knowledge.

"The Circle has wheels within wheels. Just as the All Night Society does. Players and pawns. That library gal? Three guesses what she is."

Zoe is, by all accounts, an unusual pick for a vampire. She was smart, yes, but her knowledge was niche at best. She didn't know about Kindred, not truly, and she didn't see something she shouldn't have. She hadn't even been fed upon previously. No, she was chosen for a purpose. She knows this, like many others in the area - but not what that purpose is. Her sire has, as of yet, declined to tell her. But she'll figure it out. Sooner or later.

"Now Mrs. Bruckner, she's an interesting one. Very old, but very busy. Lots of friends. Not likely anything happens in these places she doesn't know about. But people say she's not interested in running things. She's pretty chummy with the Prince, but she doesn't have her own territory. So why's she got so many daughters?"

Zoe's sire, Claudia Bruckner, is one of the fixtures of the local area as far as Kindred are concerned. She's been around as long as most people can remember. More importantly, she's got quite a few childer, pf whom she's quite protective and demanding. Zoe is one of her most recent children - there's only one younger than her - but she's easily the most curious of them, and she'll sooner question her sire's directives and motivations than the other children. This doesn't make her too popular among her Sisters, but Claudia usually tolerates Zoe's questions with a smile. Usually. She's been offered territory too, but she's declined, for reasons only she knows. Despite that, she remains loyal to the Prince, as far as everybody knows.

"Crúac is the power of the Beast. Not of Man. A vicious, thrumming power, that ravages and revels. And that Lévesque girl thinks she can bring kine ritual works into it? Not bloody likely."

Zoe has taken an interest in the blood rites of the Crúac, ever since learning the first of the secrets from her sire a few months ago. As folklore and pagan spiritualism are her studies of expertise, she's only far too eager to learn of this new kind of ritual - the kind that bears real power. But she believes that there is power in mortal rites, too. Not in the specific ones, but in the symbolism, in the manner in which rituals are performed. She hasn't found it yet...but there will be a time where she will figure out how to create her own Crúac rite. She knows she will. Or die trying.

• Locked thread