Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I don't remember it now but when i read the playdate bit in the manga i definitely had the impression the guy was horny for children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the dick thing was pretty funny though

he really did it lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

It's a shame the guy who led to the making of the best Kiyoani anime by a mile is a monster hwo deserves to die but that's how it is
what did the euphonium author do

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Made kumiko straight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

Made kumiko straight
you can marry a man without being heterosexual

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If I can finish a second season of Maidragon it'll be a better show than Eupho but since it's probably won't get a second season we may never find out

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A gnarled finger on the monkeys paw curls as a second season is announced, focusing on the introduction of a new character, iruru

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think Kyoani would refuse to do a second season based entirely on her presence.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

s1 is already a tie-in product for sexy kanna hugpillows, i really doubt they would

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I was gonna say they'd remove or significantly rewrite her but then again we got 5 shouta gets crushed by whaatsherface big titties jokes an ep so

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

iruru is good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

I was gonna say they'd remove or significantly rewrite her but then again we got 5 shouta gets crushed by whaatsherface big titties jokes an ep so

wish that were me

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Incoming space flower infinite probate for about a year based on the "Dick Spacious" rule.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Hey now, if someone says they wish they were removed or rewritten they probably need therapy, not a probation.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Iruru could work fine as a moody teenage daughter character with a slight redesign to have more clothes and just not including a certain couple chapters, I think.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Iruru's clothing isn't the problem, it's the part where she's 3 feet tall and has boobs larger than her own head. It's, like, grotesque
She did get way better after her intro though and I would trust KyoAni to handle it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HellCopter posted:

Iruru's clothing isn't the problem, it's the part where she's 3 feet tall and has boobs larger than her own head. It's, like, grotesque
She did get way better after her intro though and I would trust KyoAni to handle it.

I feel like you could salvage it by playing up the fact that she just is bad at looking human in ways other than child-sized with huge tits? Just have it be a reoccurring gag or something like the page where she tries to make hands and does it very badly.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nuebot posted:

I feel like you could salvage it by playing up the fact that she just is bad at looking human in ways other than child-sized with huge tits? Just have it be a reoccurring gag or something like the page where she tries to make hands and does it very badly.

Just give her Dumbo ears or an extra large nose some episode. It'd be functionally the same.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

She has one appearance in the first volume of the Kanna manga where she kind of comes across like Kobayashi's dropout friend who crashes on the couch occasionally, might be some kind of mileage in that?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The biggest problem with Iruru is her design and I don't think they need to adapt that straight. Her like actual role in the story and her appearances and such are fine outside of a couple of bad gags, but Lucoa also has a couple of bad gags so Kyoani has shown that's not a thing that's impossible to work around.

Her as Tohru's lovely teenage daughter who doesn't like her and has no job and doesn't go to school is pretty funny in the chapters that gets play and I don't really think she's the biggest obstacle for a 2nd season or anything.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some people are very short and have huge tits, irl, it isnt really any more oversexualized or impossible than like, any of the other dragon designs. hot take there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

some people are very short and have huge tits, irl, it isnt really any more oversexualized or impossible than like, any of the other dragon designs. hot take there.
scorching, I agree

She is Kanna-sized. That's beyond "short", that's 3,000-year-old demon in the body of a child territory. I'm not even going to post some of the official art of her(hell even one of the covers, the fourth volume, is too much) because I don't really want to get in trouble.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

can't believe invictus doesn't care about people with dwarfism

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I for one care about Squark

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

scorching, I agree

She is Kanna-sized. That's beyond "short", that's 3,000-year-old demon in the body of a child territory. I'm not even going to post some of the official art of her(hell even one of the covers, the fourth volume, is too much) because I don't really want to get in trouble.

iruru's design is ridiculously oversexualized, i agree. but every dragon is oversexualized except the water one that never shows up, so.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Invictus posted:

scorching, I agree

She's like a good foot taller then Kanna. She goes up to Toru's mouth hightwise just from quickly checking.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 28, 2018

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

Her physical appearance is coded as a child with huge tits, not as an adult woman who is short with huge tits. It's fine if you can look past that and enjoy her character/the comic, but you should acknowledge it is a step worse than the rest.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Endorph posted:

iruru's design is ridiculously oversexualized, i agree. but every dragon is oversexualized except the water one that never shows up, so.

elma is mai waifu and we shall eat all the tastiest snackers together also i like how she wears her tops at the elbow it emphasizes her chest

Sorry did any of you see the direction my insanity went? It got away from me again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Her physical appearance is coded as a child with huge tits, not as an adult woman who is short with huge tits. It's fine if you can look past that and enjoy her character/the comic, but you should acknowledge it is a step worse than the rest.
the manga spends 90% of its lucoa horny energy on her basically molesting a six year old boy, and kanna's appearance is even more child-like than iruru's and the manga still revs up its fryers for her. at least iruru seems vaguely possible to read as an adult on some level and the manga gets horny for her without involving literal human children you can't even pull the 'actually she's 3000 years old' excuse on.

i dont even like the character or the manga btw im not stanning here. iruru is bad because kobayashi's dragon maid is problematique, she isn't some unique misstep.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endorph posted:

the manga spends 90% of its lucoa horny energy on her basically molesting a six year old boy, and kanna's appearance is even more child-like than iruru's and the manga still revs up its fryers for her. at least iruru seems vaguely possible to read as an adult on some level and the manga gets horny for her without involving literal human children you can't even pull the 'actually she's 3000 years old' excuse on.

i dont even like the character or the manga btw im not stanning here. iruru is bad because kobayashi's dragon maid is problematique, she isn't some unique misstep.

You know what? That's fair.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I must be misremembering some things the manga must've done to sexualize Kanna, then. I know Saikawa's a creep for her, and the licking thing is still there, but that's about it.

Here's where I put the usual caveat about my memory, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no, cool kyo shinja is the problem, the anime largely removes a lot of troubling things(though it still is marred by some of them, such as the aforementioned Lucoa stuff, but even that is toned down significantly) and yet retains the good atmosphere and humor of the kobayashi household.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I stand by Lucoa being a ditzy older sister. Demons out, Blessings in is one of my favourite bits in the show because it shows Shouta cares about her.

E: should have been a ditzy older sister*

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 28, 2018

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

She's like a good foot taller then Kanna. She goes up to Toru's mouth hightwise just from quickly checking.

Yeah, looking at it, there's even a shot of her staring downward at Kanna imposingly. She really doesn't look like she's supposed to really look much younger than Kobayashi or Tooru. I mean, not that this manga doesn't seem to have a problem with sexualizing kids (it very clearly does), but this character doesn't really seem to be part of it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Ya’ll this desperate to just mirror the same page 58 times now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AnoHito posted:

Yeah, looking at it, there's even a shot of her staring downward at Kanna imposingly. She really doesn't look like she's supposed to really look much younger than Kobayashi or Tooru. I mean, not that this manga doesn't seem to have a problem with sexualizing kids (it very clearly does), but this character doesn't really seem to be part of it.
post some pages of the manga where iruru is shown in full anywhere not this subforum (or this thread really) and see what happens

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Does Kyoani have a history of actually covering up the worst/perviest parts of the stuff they adapt? I feel like they ignored this character because it would have made it impossible to have a complete season 1 trying to include her. If they do a season 2 I don't really have faith they'd "fix" the problems with her considering this is Japan we're talking about.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Zeruel posted:

I stand by Lucoa being a ditzy older sister. Demons out, Blessings in is one of my favourite bits in the show because it shows Shouta cares about her.

E: should have been a ditzy older sister*

Everything with Lucoa that isn't the "Lucoa accidentally molests Shota" joke is adorable and the best.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hoobajoo posted:

Everything with Lucoa that isn't the "Lucoa accidentally molests Shota" joke is adorable and the best.

yea that's what makes 'and here she is just molesting a kid' especially lovely, because every other thing about her is great. She's a sassy ex(?)-goddess who wants to make others happy and take care of her friends but her ditziness and impulsiveness get in the way. That's a fun character! Stuff like the 'world class' scavenger hunt bit and all is a funny way to do the whole 'she's Shouta's hot big sister who embarrasses him' joke. It just gets wrecked with 'and also she just kinda sexually assaults him'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Basically maid dragon is a fantastic series tragically marred by cool kyo shinja being a deviant sexfiend and not being able to keep his creepy fetishes out of his otherwise pretty wholesome slice of life series, that's what holds it back from being really great and an easy recommendation, and that's a huge shame

• Locked thread