Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

second opinion:

Those outfits are great so what is the problem???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

okay

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xeiros posted:

The vast majority of Maid Dragon chapters equate to about 5 minutes of animated content. To break it down for you, episode 2's shopping was a chapter, Kanna showing up was a chapter, playing was a chapter, and Tohru showing Kanna around was a chapter. This so far has resulted in a ratio of 4 chapters to 1 episode.

7 equally-priced volumes of Maid Dragon mean the equivalent of 14 episodes (and at least 1 OVA). There are around 60 some manga chapters released so far. While there are some anime original scenes, they're only brief transitions that help tie everything together.

My big concern is that despite having loads of content to adapt, they're going to start stretching out the already paper thin source by covering fewer chapters per episode or just straight up have whole sections of filler for no good reason. One of my biggest peeves with adaptations is copious filler even when there's loads of source material left to adapt. There's been nothing to support this at this point, but I can't help myself. It's an irrational fear. I love the source manga; that's what I want to see adapted. So far that's exactly what I've gotten and I'm most pleased with the results.

They've done an excellent job of arranging the material to flow just a bit better. Event already play into each other to a certain degree already in the manga, but the anime helps tie it together so well. Expect Lucoa focused chapters to be grouped together. Same deal with Elma (24, 25, 26 and 35). Chapters 28 and 32 are perfect chapters to include as part of the Tohru's father showing up episode in that little arc that spans chapters 19 and 20.

I was a tad disappointed they didn't trust the audience's intelligence in episode 2. In the first episode, at exactly 1 minute in as dragon form Tohru is flying to Kabayashi's place she casts perception magic on herself and begins glowing bright neon green. This is why the people below don't see her as she flies overhead in the clear sky. She does the same thing at the end of the episode when she clears away the clouds with her breath. We're never told it's a perception blocking spell. Context clues are all we needed to put the pieces together to understand what her green glow meant. This goes flying out the window in episode 2 when it's straight up explained to the audience through expository dialogue. Not a big deal though to be fair there are plenty of people who did need it explained to them. Show, don't tell doesn't work for everyone all the time.

Here's a little something to ponder moving forward for anime only watchers who haven't jumped ship. In episode 2 we were told Kanna was exiled for pulling a prank and that she loved pulling pranks. Despite this for the remainder of an episode focused on her we never once see her pulling any pranks, not a one. Why is this?

I didn't read this

• Locked thread