Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
Democracy around the world are collapsing. The US, China, and Russia are all controlled by authoritarians with the backing of the ultra-rich.

Climate change will get worse and worse.

Hundreds of millions of people have no jobs and no prospects.

Automation will make that "hundreds of millions" into "billions" in a decade or two.

In the meantime, all these billionaires are starting their private spaceflight companies. Musk and SpaceX. Bezos and Blue Origin. Branson and Virgin Galactic/Scaled Composites. Bigelow and ... Bigelow. And they're all making good progress.

And a different group of billionaires are pouring tons of money into figuring out how they can live forever. And amazingly, they're also getting somewhere.

So in 50 years you'll have a couple thousand billionaires living in orbital habitats (and/or Mars) with technology that lets them live forever while the rest of us suffer and fight for scraps on a rapidly inhospitable Earth.

drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Word on the street is it's more like Deathly Hallows Pt. 1

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

district 9 was a better movie so i hope that one happens

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

always remember that ubi is a way to make urself beholden to oligarchs unless its rooted in democratic control of the means of production

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
so we need to hack the government?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sharlto Copley

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

I'm sharlto Copley

We're the ones that dew the hangin'!!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Elysium had a happy ending in the longterm, so I'll take it. Also I want a car that can take off and get to orbit, that's pretty cool.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
Sure. However we humans can be unpredictably violent sometimes. I guarantee you if that poo poo is happening to billions, while thousands live the good life, it's a ticking time bomb.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Could be worse, we could be living in Chappie.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
im the super unnecessary shaky cam in the scene where baby matt damon is literally just walking outside

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin
they'll just end up killing everybody who isn't one of the few ruling families and have the robots do the work

they don't need to live in space to do that

even in 200 years earth will be far, far more hospitable than space or mars

you can't have billions of people unemployed even if you're willing to pay them for doing nothing

they'll get into trouble and end up wrecking everything

soooooo... what else can you do? gotta kill everybody except ur famil

needless to say it would be a fascist society

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I'm sharlto Copley

lol no

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Krueger was actually the good guy

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

Sure. However we humans can be unpredictably violent sometimes. I guarantee you if that poo poo is happening to billions, while thousands live the good life, it's a ticking time bomb.

I'd like to think you're on to something here, but current evidence from right loving now, where the top ten richest people in the world control as much wealth as the bottom 3.75 billion, suggests that in fact nothing at all will happen.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Not a Step posted:

I'd like to think you're on to something here, but current evidence from right loving now, where the top ten richest people in the world control as much wealth as the bottom 3.75 billion, suggests that in fact nothing at all will happen.

They haven't organized globally yet. I happen to believe that is still a possibility. Nation states are launching revolutions through Twitter and an orange hitler clown president entered the White House with the same. It may be safe to say the Internet presents disturbing powers of organization that haven't been exploited yet, but can be.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am sure that the continued wealth redistribution that we empowered the rich with to keep the poor out of poverty, will prevent that from happening. Just another decade and it will work this time or next. Any day now.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

maybe g gundam is happening instead?

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

the us has some of the highest, if not the highest, gun ownership per capita anywhere in the world

at the same time, there are high levels of wealth and income inequality, and public services are soon to be eviscerated

im not sure the right has thought this through completely

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If the masses start getting too uppity, then they'll amend the 2nd so that it's legal to arm private drones.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

drat, I was hoping for Oblivion so at least we'd have a cool theme song.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

tadashi posted:

drat, I was hoping for Oblivion so at least we'd have a cool theme song.

Well tough poo poo, fucko,were getting Fallout 4. And only Fallout 4.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

MizPiz posted:

I'm now taking sign ups for the Atom Cats so I can teach you dorks the way of cool.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

MizPiz posted:

not even a well written bad future. too bad howard hughes died before he could go and invent himself a fat robot stash

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The future is gonna be more like Parable of The Sower than any dumb Bethesda poo poo.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Annual Prophet posted:

the us has some of the highest, if not the highest, gun ownership per capita anywhere in the world

at the same time, there are high levels of wealth and income inequality, and public services are soon to be eviscerated

I dunno, for all of the 30k-ish people who die due to gun related violence each year in the US, a surprisingly small percentage of those victims come from households with a mean income of $100K+. every time there's a mass shooting, it's at a school or an airport or some other very busy public venue that maximizes the number of potential targets that the shooter can take out, but has very little to do with making a statement about income inequality or whatever.

I think we'd have to see a lot more mass shootings taking place at Ferrari dealerships or elite country clubs or there'd have to be a spree of homicides that exclusively target the ultra-rich, before they have anything to worry about. they've done a pretty good job of keeping the poor at each other's throats for this long I don't see that changing any time soon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, any minute now the poor will come together as one and rise up against the ric-

RICH PEOPLE: Psst, some of you are immigrants

POOR PEOPLE: Murder each other instead forever

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I dunno, for all of the 30k-ish people who die due to gun related violence each year in the US, a surprisingly small percentage of those victims come from households with a mean income of $100K+. every time there's a mass shooting, it's at a school or an airport or some other very busy public venue that maximizes the number of potential targets that the shooter can take out, but has very little to do with making a statement about income inequality or whatever.

I think we'd have to see a lot more mass shootings taking place at Ferrari dealerships or elite country clubs or there'd have to be a spree of homicides that exclusively target the ultra-rich, before they have anything to worry about. they've done a pretty good job of keeping the poor at each other's throats for this long I don't see that changing any time soon.

It's also worth noting that more people get struck by lightning or win the lottery then killed via "Mass-shootings."

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

It's also worth noting that more people get struck by lightning or win the lottery then killed via "Mass-shootings."

Seems to be some sort of correlation here...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

oh sure. my point was just that the ultra-rich have almost nothing to fear from the extremely well-armed poors that otherwise vastly outnumber them.

I've got a pet conspiracy theory that the way firearms are regulated in this country (extremely lax rules for resellers / second hand purchasers, a refusal at the highest level of the government to even consider meaningful regulations or a licensing system or a gun database) is just a very indirect form of population control; or else it didn't start that nefariously, but it turns out that there are a variety of social and economic factors that, combined with lax firearms regulations, tends to cause a disproportionate amount of poors to die from gun violence, and it's just a happy coincidence for the elites.

or to look at it another way, an absolute fuckton of CEOs/Senators/Philantropists/Tech-Moguls/etc. children are going to have to be killed via a person wielding a firearm before we see anything change in this country. Christ, probably not even then as long as the NRA and Defense Lobbyists exist.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Annual Prophet posted:

We have. The people that we allow to own guns are not the vanguard of any revolution.

The left tends to eschew the purchase of guns and live in states where getting one on short notice is problematic especially as a minority.

Also, look at our military, what's a little ak going to accomplish?

Lol, if you think Trump wouldn't nuke part of the us just to stamp out a rebellion.

Lol if you think the wealthier classes would give a drat if he did.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

ScrubLeague posted:

im the super unnecessary shaky cam in the scene where baby matt damon is literally just walking outside

I'm the unnecessary unsteady cam in Secretary. Just hold the drat camera in one place.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
kill the rich

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

The left tends to eschew the purchase of guns and live in states where getting one on short notice is problematic especially as a minority.

im going to start a 501c3 called Communists for Second Amendment Rights to help indigent communities in high population density areas acquire ar15s through neighborhood gun shows

allahu akbar

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Annual Prophet posted:

Might want to look who owns those guns before you make blanket statements like that. I'm willing to bet that since the left goes on national TV and literally cries because they can't ban guns, the right probably owns a vast majority of the guns.

Two Feet From Bread has issued a correction as of 18:17 on Jan 20, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The killings are overwhelmingly occurring in places where the poors are not allowed/restricted from owning them.

I am banking on there being several kinds of Elysium. Having billionaires throw out the mega millionaires for whatever reason and those people then cast out the millionaires in order to create a smaller scale Elysium, builds into a funny scenario.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Scalding Coffee posted:

The killings are overwhelmingly occurring in places where the poors are not allowed/restricted from owning them.

I am banking on there being several kinds of Elysium. Having billionaires throw out the mega millionaires for whatever reason and those people then cast out the millionaires in order to create a smaller scale Elysium, builds into a funny scenario.

That's already happening. I'm now convinced that in effect, the dem party doesn't really represent the interests of the poor or minorities. Rather they represent the interests of "new money" while the right represents the interests of "old money".

I'm specifically referring to the party machine which encourages corruption and ineptitude as well as a flaccid approach to economic as well as civil rights as well as women's issues. My party has been consistently successful in peeling these back and all progress from the other side has been either tangential or temporary.

Why else are the only people even mentioning the ramifications of Daca repeal are a light sprinkle of dems and lil' old me?

An old turd with sprinkles on it. That's what America has left representing them in their government.

You want revolt? Stop talking about AR15's as we are well past that militarily.

A coup needs military involvement. That simple.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

An old turd with sprinkles on it. That's what America has left representing them in their government.

You want revolt? Stop talking about AR15's as we are well past that militarily.

like the ak before it, the ar15 will blaze the bloody trail to our glorious, ultra probable, and indeed completely imminent, revolutionary destiny, a materialist eschaton of heretofore unimaginable wisdom, prosperity and brotherhood

in the meantime, the us military will be relieved to know that small arms based insurgencies are no probs

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Might want to look who owns those guns before you make blanket statements like that. I'm willing to bet that since the left goes on national TV and literally cries because they can't ban guns, the right probably owns a vast majority of the guns.

whoosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

hi, i'm Neill Blomkamp, and i can't make a sci-fi film that isn't an allegory to apartheid or social conditions in South Africa

(just you wait for my new Alien film, where the bosses of the Weyland-Yutani Corp won't stop bitching about transformation targets ruining the Springboks)

• Locked thread