Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
Ok tech nerds, we want to hear from you!

What fields are safe to go into with the sword of Damocles that is automation hanging over every one's head.

My argument is that finance won't be touched cuz greed. However, I remain anxious to learn what jobs will remain relevant in the coming trumppocalypse and beyond.

Joke and serious effort posts are both welcome as I really am curious as to what some of us are thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cams
Mar 28, 2003

philosopher king

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Trump!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

forums poster

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Video Game player.

Also automation is good, v. good.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

My argument is that finance won't be touched cuz greed. However, I remain anxious to learn what jobs will remain relevant in the coming trumppocalypse and beyond.

finance is already getting automated though?

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

There are no safe jobs.

Soon the great job creators will discover that all finance and administration people are a bunch of jerkoffs that just jerk off all day and that computers have already made them obsolete.

Factories will become self sustaining entities that simply follow the orders of the computers. Maintenance will be done by robots that will be able to maintain other robots. Security will also be automated, set to kill anyone who attempts to steal from or disrupt the system.

The few remaining people who have money will either go into hiding in space or underground, and those too stupid to run will be eaten alive by the starving hoard that can no longer be placated with the entertainment that they can no longer afford.

All that will be left is a perfectly automated system, designed to serve those who no longer exist to be served.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Raiad posted:

There are no safe jobs.

Soon the great job creators will discover that all finance and administration people are a bunch of jerkoffs that just jerk off all day and that computers have already made them obsolete.

Factories will become self sustaining entities that simply follow the orders of the computers. Maintenance will be done by robots that will be able to maintain other robots. Security will also be automated, set to kill anyone who attempts to steal from or disrupt the system.

The few remaining people who have money will either go into hiding in space or underground, and those too stupid to run will be eaten alive by the starving hoard that can no longer be placated with the entertainment that they can no longer afford.

All that will be left is a perfectly automated system, designed to serve those who no longer exist to be served.

this

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the rich dont need humans

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raiad posted:

There are no safe jobs.

i mean, it all crumbles way before it gets even half way through this

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Expound on this. I'm intrigued.

cams posted:

philosopher king

That is a very old profession and hasn't been a gainful form of employment in some time. I think they call those adjunct professors now.

For the purposes of the inquiry, president is a little too narrow of a focus.

Karl Barks posted:

forums poster

This is not gainful employment. If we could stay home and do that all day for 60 k a year most of us would be all in.

Keep em coming gentleman this is just as much for our edification as it is for laughs.

Thank you for chiming in so far.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
electricians, toolmakers, pipefitters, millwrights. Skip your 4 year worthless degree and save yourself the 100k and go to a trade school, be in high demand, join a trade union, and start out at 60k.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
"Artisinal" anything.

I bet when automation and robotics becomes more superfluous, real live human service workers (ie. caretakers, gardeners, prostitutes) will become status symbols.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Jebs vulnerable to automation: Jeb!

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Video Game player.

Also automation is good, v. good.

This is not gainful employment. Also, I agree that automation in that of itself is good. It's the inevitable effect on the worker's ability to negotiate labor and remain gainfully employed that concerns many.

Chwoka posted:

finance is already getting automated though?

It's taking a while. Who chooses to outsource the computer programmer? The CFO, and that CFO heads an entire department of finance guys. The stockbroker is now just a monkey at a computer that is using a series of statistical algorithms. He is now called a finance analyst but has yet to see his job get outsourced or disappear.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Raiad posted:

There are no safe jobs.

Yeesh! How dystopian! In that world I wouldn't want descendants!

And you agree. Ok, I have to take this into account, even though, again, it makes me want to slit my wrists while listening to Coldplay.

cams posted:

i mean, it all crumbles way before it gets even half way through this

This is a third vote for the same perception. We have formed a kind of consensus.

I'm still curious to hear from you guys.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ok tech nerds, we want to hear from you!

What fields are safe to go into with the sword of Damocles that is automation hanging over every one's head.

Joke and serious effort posts are both welcome as I really am curious as to what some of us are thinking.

b l o w j o b s

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Raiad posted:

There are no safe jobs.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is not gainful employment. Also, I agree that automation in that of itself is good. It's the inevitable effect on the worker's ability to negotiate labor and remain gainfully employed that concerns many.

I'll be an Automation Engineer. Whenever a new feature is required I'll be the one that programs the system to facilitate it.

Change is constant.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I'll be an Automation Engineer. Whenever a new feature is required I'll be the one that programs the system to facilitate it.

Change is constant.

Automation repair technician. Fix the robots. Then fix the robots that fix the robots. Then fix the robots that fix the robots that fix the robots. Then fix...

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Mnoba posted:

electricians, toolmakers, pipefitters, millwrights. Skip your 4 year worthless degree and save yourself the 100k and go to a trade school, be in high demand, join a trade union, and start out at 60k.

True.

the trump tutelage posted:

"Artisinal" anything.

I bet when automation and robotics becomes more superfluous, real live human service workers (ie. caretakers, gardeners, prostitutes) will become status symbols.

Well, I always did want to try my hand at being a high priced rent boy...

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

b l o w j o b s

That may work out for women at this point, but not so much for men.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Yossarian-22 posted:

Jebs vulnerable to automation: Jeb!

Jeb! Is a result of automation.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unemployed failson

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Oversight and supervisory roles will remain for some time, especially for managers with a good understanding of information systems and automation. Capital will want a person to call up, abuse, blame, and replace for the failings or perceived failings of of the system. This will be true for the suppliers of automated systems as well as their customers.

There are businesses that exist to provide fully closed automated systems. Management don't want to implement these without a human operator in charge of the start and stop of the system.

This thinking may disappear, but it will take some time.

Once that happens though the only things that require humans are human interactions. We will still want to see other humans gasp and moan and cry and go through other experiences that we consider human. Those in power will find exercising that power on machines to be hollow compared to effecting the experience of another human. Of course in this scenario finding subjects for these experiences will be effortless, we're not all going to become Hugh Jackman and Rihanna types.

Basically you know the end of a requiem for a dream where all the rich dudes slaver over the poor girls going rear end to rear end so that they can buy drugs to provide them with a sweet release from reality? That is the future so get your rear end lubed up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mnoba posted:

yup. if we could figure out how to get robots to lay sick beads in the field, we would have done it already.

Granted you die of chromium lung or whatever when you're 53 but who wants to make it to 79 in this world lol

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
bartenders because screaming your problems at a robot is and always will be less satisfying to shitheads than screaming them at a human.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Change is constant.

Not a Step posted:

Automation repair technician. Fix the robots. Then fix the robots that fix the robots. Then fix the robots that fix the robots that fix the robots. Then fix...

I have the utmost respect for engineers and would not be surprised if they were the last ones with jobs. I'm not smart enough though; I will probably be a former senator cleaning homes of engineers in the near dark future.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

That may work out for women at this point, but not so much for men.

Senator do you deny that you can suck a dick better than a godforsaken soulless robot?!?!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

hooker maintenance technicians

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

That's my first assumption. However, asking others is an exercise in blind faith on my part, a prayer that perhaps, that's not the case.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
fast food workers

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
wal mart greeter

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

Senator do you deny that you can suck a dick better than a godforsaken soulless robot?!?!

Oh.

No, I don't deny.

But, uh, I'm no spring chicken.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
the philosophy of posthumanism and cyborg theory is the only solution because nothing is invulnerable to automation. read your donna haraway and n katherine hayles, boys.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Cirofren posted:

Oversight and supervisory roles will remain for some time, especially for managers with a good understanding of information systems and automation. Capital will want a person to call up, abuse, blame, and replace for the failings or perceived failings of of the system. This will be true for the suppliers of automated systems as well as their customers.

There are businesses that exist to provide fully closed automated systems. Management don't want to implement these without a human operator in charge of the start and stop of the system.

This thinking may disappear, but it will take some time.

Once that happens though the only things that require humans are human interactions. We will still want to see other humans gasp and moan and cry and go through other experiences that we consider human. Those in power will find exercising that power on machines to be hollow compared to effecting the experience of another human. Of course in this scenario finding subjects for these experiences will be effortless, we're not all going to become Hugh Jackman and Rihanna types.

Basically you know the end of a requiem for a dream where all the rich dudes slaver over the poor girls going rear end to rear end so that they can buy drugs to provide them with a sweet release from reality? That is the future so get your rear end lubed up.

I like rear end lube and have wanted an introduction to gentle anal sex, so perhaps it's not so bad?

Jonny 290 posted:

yup. if we could figure out how to get robots to lay sick beads in the field, we would have done it already.

Granted you die of chromium lung or whatever when you're 53 but who wants to make it to 79 in this world lol

True. I'm looking for the thrive not survive solutions though; so while I value your contribution, we are looking for positions that will not require additional health care services.

Bushiz posted:

bartenders because screaming your problems at a robot is and always will be less satisfying to shitheads than screaming them at a human.

Very true, and deffo a profession I have reflected on taking on before.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

hooker maintenance technicians

Now, I would definitely sign up for that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Change is constant.

bug report: robot keeps trying to seize the means of production

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

funny way to spell posted:

fast food workers

funny way to spell posted:

wal mart greeter

Neither of these are gainful employment, and appear to become less so with time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
sewer inspector

• Locked thread