Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Early Childhood Education

It pays nothing buuuuuut I don't see robots teaching Kindergarten or Pre-K anytime soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It pays nothing buuuuuut I don't see robots teaching Kindergarten or Pre-K anytime soon!

Fair point.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Umm kindergarten is already obsolete. Tv has been around for a long while.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Bip Roberts posted:

Umm kindergarten is already obsolete. Tv has been around for a long while.

All public schools will be obsolete after tomorrow so fair point I guess!

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
in one of the rifters books there was this guy who was into torture and one of the people he was torturing was like "why are you doing this we have fully immersive VR nobody would care if you used it for this" and he was like "yeah but its not the same if the victim doesnt really feel it"

so, any kind of job where the rich get to feel good about hurting a poor instead of a robot

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

My concern, is we will be transformed into various types of house slaves and nothing else.

Yea this is happening, for the vast majority of people they will work increasingly longer hours for reduced wages for the entertainment of Capital.

Prostitution, Jester, or various forms of Whipping Boys for when generational rich families decide they want to do stuff that they don't want to clean up after.

Stable Boy, Yacht/Plane Mechanic, House Keeper, Gardener, Nanny, etc. and obviously these "jobs" will stay in the family, Laborer children passed down to the Capitalists children.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i just want to call anyone that wouldnt gently caress a sexbot once just to try it out a drat dirty liar

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Archaeologist. Like, maybe not the digging poo poo, but analysis and writing.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

KiteAuraan posted:

this is called "scavenger" in trump's america and will be 90% of employment

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

jarofpiss posted:

this is called "scavenger" in trump's america and will be 90% of employment

i cannot wait to hold the title of Keeper of Lore with my plan to control libraries and also use my huge manga collection to gain the loyalty of the shattered earth scrapers.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

i cannot wait to hold the title of Keeper of Lore with my plan to control libraries and also use my huge manga collection to gain the loyalty of the shattered earth scrapers.

we laughed at everyone hoarding print smut

we were all fools

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I also do freelance editing for scientific reports written by ESL authors and I don't see robots figuring out the nuance and context anytime soon. In fact business might even pick up for me after Trump's regime guts the NSF/re-routes all research funding into curing the gay and the rest of the world has to pick up the research slack.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah, I also do freelance editing for scientific reports written by ESL authors and I don't see robots figuring out the nuance and context anytime soon. In fact business might even pick up for me after Trump's regime guts the NSF/re-routes all research funding into curing the gay and the rest of the world has to pick up the research slack.

:negative:

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

jarofpiss posted:

i just want to call anyone that wouldnt gently caress a sexbot once just to try it out a drat dirty liar

i think it would be difficult because it would be so unsettling.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

KiteAuraan posted:

newsflash: history is over, that's why it's called history

we're starting again at year 0!!!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Basically anything requiring critical human thought (lol) is safe in our lifetimes. Stuff relying on very fine motor skills is safe too but over a shorter timeframe, they already have surgical robots and poo poo.
what if i have dumb & gay goony hands and and am dumb & gay, like a goon, and therefore incapable of critical thought

can i stil get a job

asking for a friend

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
hello, i would like to apply for being a full-time gay, but am open to be part-time or casually gay

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
My wife is a doctor and automation is already starting to knock ancillary people out of the medical field. She operates almost exclusively using robots, and those machines only need one nurse to add new arms to it/assist the doctor during the procedure (as opposed to a room full of people like in the movies).

Electronic medical records are also letting them lay off a few officer workers too, since there is less of a need for people to constantly be going through the physical patient folde

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
I would say that I would have the satisfaction of seeing the usually untouchable management making themselves obsolete by firing all the human workers.

But I know that they would simply own all the production robots, granting themselves ultimate power that no mere despot before ever had.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My wife is a doctor and automation is already starting to knock ancillary people out of the medical field. She operates almost exclusively using robots, and those machines only need one nurse to add new arms to it/assist the doctor during the procedure (as opposed to a room full of people like in the movies).

Electronic medical records are also letting them lay off a few officer workers too, since there is less of a need for people to constantly be going through the physical patient folde

So the health field is no panacea to this problem. I see.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

deadgoon posted:

in one of the rifters books there was this guy who was into torture and one of the people he was torturing was like "why are you doing this we have fully immersive VR nobody would care if you used it for this" and he was like "yeah but its not the same if the victim doesnt really feel it"

so, any kind of job where the rich get to feel good about hurting a poor instead of a robot

This is chilling but probably true.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

highly skilled (or otherwise prestigious) educators will always be a valuable commodity in the eyes of the wealthy and ruling classes

just don't confuse "educator" with "guy who teach you how to do math and know history"

sometimes the rich will want the math and history dude to teach their kids

but sometimes you got a situation like in russia where oligarchs hire famous MMA dudes to teach their kids how to beat people to death

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

SpaceGoku posted:

highly skilled (or otherwise prestigious) educators will always be a valuable commodity in the eyes of the wealthy and ruling classes

just don't confuse "educator" with "guy who teach you how to do math and know history"

sometimes the rich will want the math and history dude to teach their kids

but sometimes you got a situation like in russia where oligarchs hire famous MMA dudes to teach their kids how to beat people to death

Great point! Excelling in your field to the point you are so highly valued that you can be chosen to educate the rich is an avenue people can try.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
You could probably posit that there'd be a decent amount of growth in a 'artisanal' sector of sorts for things that are made by human hands and sold at a premium to the upper class at least during the transition period where automation is rapidly growing and for a short while after where people believe that human crafted adds some inherent value.

But after full automation is around for a generation or so I'm guessing that artisanal sector would see a significant amount of decline as machine made becomes more ingrained in the social consciousness.

Though i'm operating under the assumption that pre and early automation era will be vastly different societies than post automation era societies due to an overall shift in social consciousness.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

shove me like you do posted:

You could probably posit that there'd be a decent amount of growth in a 'artisanal' sector of sorts for things that are made by human hands and sold at a premium to the upper class at least during the transition period where automation is rapidly growing and for a short while after where people believe that human crafted adds some inherent value.

But after full automation is around for a generation or so I'm guessing that artisanal sector would see a significant amount of decline as machine made becomes more ingrained in the social consciousness.

Though i'm operating under the assumption that pre and early automation era will be vastly different societies than post automation era societies due to an overall shift in social consciousness.

This is a reasonable assumption to have, given that this would mirror a similar shift in pre and early industrialization verses the post industrial era.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
YouTube Let's Player

No computer AI would be damaged enough to think that producing such a thing would possibly count as entertainment.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

This is a reasonable assumption to have, given that this would mirror a similar shift in pre and early industrialization verses the post industrial era.

Now I just want to refer to the current era as the BAE (before automation era)

Neeksy posted:

YouTube Let's Player

No computer AI would be damaged enough to think that producing such a thing would possibly count as entertainment.

In the grim dark future the new untouchables caste is the twitch streamers.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

shove me like you do posted:

In the grim dark future the new untouchables caste is the twitch streamers.

oh, good. instead of educating teenagers i will be forced to play video games for their amusement 140 hours a week

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Fidel Castronaut posted:

i think it would be difficult because it would be so unsettling.

sex with me is always unsettling robot or not

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

jarofpiss posted:

sex with me is always unsettling robot or not

:yikes:

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

All public schools will be obsolete after tomorrow so fair point I guess!

how awesome must it be to wake up tomorrow and realize your salary and benefits are going to get cut in half

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Mnoba posted:

electricians, toolmakers, pipefitters, millwrights. Skip your 4 year worthless degree and save yourself the 100k and go to a trade school, be in high demand, join a trade union, and start out at 60k.
lmao. the trades have been starting at close to minimum wage for years. you could be making 60k in five to ten years if enough of the old-timers retire, which they will not. "gently caress you, kid. should've been born in the 60's."

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

You don't need a robot to understand all nuance and context but you can make a robot that will do like 80% of the work via algorithm and the only people who won't get fired are the 20% most backstabby people in the field.

Like if you work in a professional field and aren't already preparing to undermine your colleagues as robots take on a larger and larger portion of your work you should probably go ahead and fill out food stamps paperwork.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

SpaceGoku posted:

we laughed at everyone hoarding print smut

we were all fools

i've got print hentai to. i am going to loving change my name to khadgar, keeper of the lore of old and manga titties.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Bushiz posted:

You don't need a robot to understand all nuance and context but you can make a robot that will do like 80% of the work via algorithm and the only people who won't get fired are the 20% most backstabby people in the field.

Like if you work in a professional field and aren't already preparing to undermine your colleagues as robots take on a larger and larger portion of your work you should probably go ahead and fill out food stamps paperwork.

Too true. It feels like this process is being initiated already.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Video Game player.

Also automation is good, v. good.

In the future we will all be replaced by TASbots.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Bushiz posted:

Honestly, having done this for over a year now pretty much all of these papers follow the same structure so you might be more correct than you know.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Anything requiring creativity because we can't even agree on what it is ourselves so how will we make a computer to do it?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

C-Euro posted:

Honestly, having done this for over a year now pretty much all of these papers follow the same structure so you might be more correct than you know.

The thing with automation, and software/engineering in general, is that someone only needs to figure out how to do something once, then it can be replicated and expanded upon infinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Wheeee posted:

The thing with automation, and software/engineering in general, is that someone only needs to figure out how to do something once, then it can be replicated and expanded upon infinitely.

So the thread's consensus appears to be all jobs can be automated and probably will be eventually, except for those jobs responsible for automation, and the only alternative will be what I'll call the "Charlie work" fields.

Conch Shell Corp posted:

That limo had a wife and kids

this poor child is now an orphan RIP

Lastgirl posted:

"you're the animals, you're the animals" I insist as I continue to spew vitriolic, divisive and shallow rhetoric

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 23:57 on Jan 20, 2017

• Locked thread