Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Phantasm packaging:

*whispering* I want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

*whispering* I want that.

I can't wait for mine to get in, but I'm probably going to break that toy launching it a friend.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Is that just the region B version?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Is that just the region B version?

Yes it is.

here's the US set: https://www.amazon.com/Phantasm-Spe...hantasm+box+set

No kick rear end sphere though

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow posted some screenshot of their Phenomena restoration. Looking very nice.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Despite having never seen the film, probably gonna look at getting Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia based on the Stephen Prince commentary alone.

It's a Sam Peckinpah film starring Warren Oates. It's loving awesome.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

InfiniteZero posted:

It's a Sam Peckinpah film starring Warren Oates. It's loving awesome.

You had me at Peckinpah film

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Wow! I know you can't tell much from the screenshots but is this expected to be a significant improvement over the Synapse steelbook or if I have the steelbook, I'm better off sticking with that?

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 10, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Disharmony posted:

Wow! I know you can't tell much from the screenshots but is this expected to be a significant improvement over the Synapse steelbook or if I have the steelbook, I'm better off sticking with that?

I don't have the Synapse release so I can't say much about its picture quality, but knowing Arrow (and looking at those screenshots), it's hard to imagine this won't be the best the film has ever looked. Supplement wise there seems to be very little overlap. The Arrow release has a feature length documentary and a different audio commentary, among other things. I'd say if you're a fan of the movie this looks like a pretty safe double dip.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

It's been all but confirmed that the other two Argento films in the pipeline from Arrow are The Bird With the Crystal Plumage and The Cat o' Nine Tails. Somehow I neither own nor have seen either of them. Might both be blind buys for me.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Big fan of Arrow Video. I have a few Argento's and recently got Cozzi's Contamination. Despite having never seen the film, probably gonna look at getting Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia based on the Stephen Prince commentary alone. His ones for Straw Dogs as well as Cross of Iron are amazing.

The featurette on Italian knockoff cinema included on the Contamination set is great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's been all but confirmed that the other two Argento films in the pipeline from Arrow are The Bird With the Crystal Plumage and The Cat o' Nine Tails. Somehow I neither own nor have seen either of them. Might both be blind buys for me.

Cat o Nine Tails is just okay, but Bird With the Crystal Plumage is one of Argento's best.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bird With the Crystal Plumage is one of Argento's best.

Was about to post this. I haven't seen Cat o' Nine Tails though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I recently picked up my first two Arrows and so far I'm pretty impressed. I got Spider Baby and Pit Stop at HMV's closing sale. Both were blind buys.

I have only watched Spider Baby so far, but the video quality is really good. It's packed with extras too, and I haven't gotten too deep into those.

I agree with OP, these are essentially Criterions for cult movies and I love it!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Thirsty Girl posted:

The featurette on Italian knockoff cinema included on the Contamination set is great.

Whoa nice! Haven't watched it yet.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looks like there's an Arrow sale at B&N.

edit: I picked up The Hills Have Eyes and Driller Killer. The total actually ended up being about the same as I would have paid from Arrow with points, but gotta love receiving them in like five days instead of three weeks.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 14, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I blind bought a whole bunch of films recently Rabid, Society, Deep Red, Lifeforce and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key to be specific. I enjoyed all of them and were were great releases with top notch transfers and a wealth of extra content that I've only really dipped my toes into.

I think I enjoyed Rabid the least but only because it felt like a worse version of Shivers, which is a far superior Cronenberg zombie film. Partly because it's very focused on one location and one outbreak while Rabid takes a much larger view of the situation and lacks the feeling of hopeless isolation that Shivers had. Also the infected being a lot more zombie like than the ones in Shivers made them less scary.

Lifeforce is wonderfully crazy. Like if someone tried to make a single film by combining a vague synopsis of Dracula with a equally vague description of Alien.

Society is delightfully disgusting and I'm sort of sad that I didn't go in totally blind because not knowing what was in store would've made it even more revolting.

Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key is just a really solid giallo Poe adaptation and has the bonus of the name being really fun to say.

Deep Red is just a fantastic film and I was pleasantly surprised by all the humor. You could easily make a trailer for the film to make it look like a goofy romantic comedy.

I already had Phantom of the Paradise, Massacre Gun, and Ashes and Diamonds from Arrow so I wasn't exactly a total newcomer but I think I might actually like Arrow more than Criterion or Eureka!/Masters of Cinema. But only slightly.

I´m strongly considering getting Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia because the Wild Bunch is my favorite western but the only one I've seen by Peckinpah.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alfredo Garcia is really loving good and a nice piece of fatalistic nihilist cinema.

It's one of my favorite Warren Oates performances.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Spatulater bro! posted:

Looks like there's an Arrow sale at B&N.

edit: I picked up The Hills Have Eyes and Driller Killer. The total actually ended up being about the same as I would have paid from Arrow with points, but gotta love receiving them in like five days instead of three weeks.

I've never wanted to own The Stuff moreso than right now

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

There's an even better Arrow sale at Family Video going on through the end of the month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

There's an even better Arrow sale at Family Video going on through the end of the month.

stop trying to make me buy things

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Huh, it would never have even occurred to me to shop for goddamn Arrow DVDs and blu-rays on Family Video's website in the year 2017.

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.
I've been collecting Arrow Video releases ever since they started distributing here in Canada last August. Quality has been great for just about everything so far, and the special features have been fun. My favourites so far have been Mark of the Devil (the included documentary on 70's period horror in the UK was almost as good as the main feature.), the Night Evelyn came out of the Grave/ The Red Queen Kills Seven Times, The Hershall Gordon Lewis boxset, Society, Pit Stop,American Horror Project vol 1,Eaten Alive,The Hills Have Eyes, & Blind Woman's Curse.

Lots of great stuff, and the special features deliver so much more than you would expect for some of these films. It sucks that I've got a lot of catching up to do on stuff that was already released in the States, but it's been a lot of fun so far.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Video June announcements:

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage

NEW UK/US TITLE: The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD) Limited Edition

A film which redefined the ‘giallo’ genre of murder-mystery thrillers

Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2nN3aav
North American pre-orders links should be live soon!
Release Dates: 19/20 June

In 1970, young first-time director Dario Argento (Deep Red, Suspiria) made his indelible mark on Italian cinema with The Bird with the Crystal Plumage – a film which redefined the ‘giallo’ genre of murder-mystery thrillers and catapulted him to international stardom.

Sam Dalmas (Tony Musante, We Own the Night), an American writer living in Rome, inadvertently witnesses a brutal attack on a woman (Eva Renzi, Funeral in Berlin) in a modern art gallery. Powerless to help, he grows increasingly obsessed with the incident. Convinced that something he saw that night holds the key to identifying the maniac terrorising Rome, he launches his own investigation parallel to that of the police, heedless of the danger to both himself and his girlfriend Giulia (Suzy Kendall, Spasmo)…

A staggeringly assured debut, The Bird with the Crystal Plumage establishes the key traits that would define Argento’s filmography, including lavish visuals and a flare for wildly inventive, brutal scenes of violence. With sumptuous cinematography by Vittorio Storaro (Apocalypse Now) and a seductive score by legendary composer Ennio Morricone (Once Upon a Time in the West), this landmark film has never looked or sounded better in this new, 4K-restored limited edition from Arrow Video!

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

• Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the camera negative in its original 2.35:1 aspect ratio, produced by Arrow Video exclusively for this release
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
• Original mono Italian and English soundtracks (lossless on the Blu-ray Disc)
• English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
• New audio commentary by Troy Howarth, author of So Deadly, So Perverse: 50 Years of Italian Giallo Films
• The Power of Perception, a new visual essay on the cinema of Dario Argento by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria and Rape-Revenge Films: A Critical Study
• New analysis of the film by critic Kat Ellinger
• New interview with writer/director Dario Argento
• New interview with actor Gildo Di Marco (Garullo the pimp)
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Candice Tripp
• Double-sided fold-out poster featuring
• 6 Lobby Card reproductions
• Limited edition 60-page booklet illustrated by Matthew Griffin, featuring an appreciation of the film by Michael Mackenzie, and new writing by Howard Hughes and Jack Seabrook

Doberman Cop

NEW UK/US TITLE: Doberman Cop (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

Never before released on video outside of Japan, Doberman Cop is a unique entry in the career of director Kinji Fukasaku.

Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2nNbK9r
Release Dates: 26/27 June

Released just as the popularity of yakuza movies was waning in Japan, and as the country's film industry was undergoing some fundamental shifts, Doberman Cop is a unique entry in the career of director Kinji Fukasaku (Battles Without Honor and Humanity, Cops vs Thugs), and reunited him with star Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba (The Street Fighter, Wolf Guy) in an American-style crime movie that mixes gunplay and pulp fiction with martial arts and lowbrow comedy to create one of their most entertaining films.

Based on a popular manga by "Buronson" (creator of Fist of the North Star), Doberman Cop follows the fish-out-of-water adventures of Joji Kano (Chiba), a tough-as-nails police officer from Okinawa who arrives in Tokyo's Kabuki-cho nightlife district to investigate the savage murder and mutilation of an island girl who had been working as a prostitute. Initially dismissed as a country bumpkin (complete with straw hat and live pig in tow!), Kano soon proves himself a more savvy detective than the local cops, and a tougher customer than anyone expected. As he probes deeper into the sleazy world of flesh-peddling, talent agency corruption and mob influence, Kano uncovers the shocking truth about the girl, her connection to a yakuza-turned-music manager (Hiroki Matsukata), and a savage serial killer who is burning women alive.

Made to appeal both to the youth market with its biker gangs and popular music, as well as to old-time yakuza movie fans, Doberman Cop is an surprising oddity in Fukasaku's career, his sole film adapted directly from a manga and never before released on video outside of Japan. Featuring Chiba at his charismatic best — channeling a Japanese Dirty Harry while doing all his own stunts — and Fukasaku at his most fun, deftly showcasing the combined talents of his "Piranha Army" stock company of actors and other regular players — Doberman Cop is a classic action comedy and a missing link in 1970's Japanese cinema deserving of rediscovery.

•High Definition digital transfer
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
•Original uncompressed mono audio
•Optional English subtitles
•Beyond the Film: Doberman Cop, a new video appreciation by Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
•New video interview with actor Shinichi "Sonny" Chiba
•New video interview with screenwriter Koji Takada
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s book featuring new writing on the films by Patrick Macias

Madhouse

NEW UK/US TITLE: Madhouse (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

Fuses slasher elements with the over-the-top excess of ‘80s Italian terror.

Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2nN0nOK
Release Dates: 12/13 June 2017

MANY PEOPLE VISIT … NO ONE EVER LEAVES.

Helmed by legendary producer/director Ovidio Assonitis, the man behind such cult favourites as The Visitor and Piranha II: The Spawning, Madhouse is a crimson-soaked tale of sibling rivalry taken to a terrifying and bloody extreme.

Julia has spent her entire adult life trying to forget the torment she suffered at the hands of her twisted twin Mary… but Mary hasn’t forgotten. Escaping hospital, where she’s recently been admitted with a horrific, disfiguring illness, Julia’s sadistic sister vows to exact a particularly cruel revenge on her sibling this year – promising a birthday surprise that she’ll never forget.

An Italian production shot entirely in Savannah, Georgia, Madhouse (aka And When She Was Bad and There Was a Little Girl) fuses slasher elements with the over-the-top excess of ‘80s Italian terror – resulting in a cinematic bloodbath so gut-wrenching that the British authorities saw fit to outlaw it as a “video nasty”.

•Brand new 2K restoration from the original camera negative
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition presentations
•Original Stereo Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new audio commentary with The Hysteria Continues
•Brand new interviews with cast and crew
•Alternate Opening Titles
•Theatrical Trailer, newly transferred in HD
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Marc Schoenbach

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring new writing on the film

Klown

NEW UK TITLE: Klown (Blu-ray)

A Scandinavian relative of The Inbetweeners and The Hangover with a dash of Lars von Trier.
Pre-order your copy in the UK: http://bit.ly/2nMZgie
Release Dates: 5 June 2017

Comedians and TV personalities Frank Hvam and Casper Christensen (hosts of the Danish version of Shooting Stars) play extreme versions of themselves in the Curb Your Enthusiasm-alike comedy of embarrassment.

Based on the hit sitcom, Klown finds Frank on the verge of the fatherhood. So how better to prove his paternal credentials than ‘borrowing’ his awkward 13-year-old nephew to accompany him and Casper on their annual tour de pussy? What follows is far too crude and outrageous to describe here!

Imagine a Scandinavian relative of The Inbetweeners and The Hangover with a dash of Lars von Trier at his most playfully transgressive and you’re getting close to the shocking hilarity of Klown.

•High definition Blu-ray (1080p)
•5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
•Commentary by director Mikkel Nørgaard and writer-actors Frank Hvam and Casper Christensen
•Klown: It’s a Jungle Down There, an episode from the original television series, co-written by Lars von Trier
•Klown from Behind, a ‘making of’ documentary
•Crafting ‘The Willie’, a featurette on the film’s prosthetics
•Inside Castello Alleycat, scenes from film’s brothel set
•Deleted scenes
•Alternative opening sequence
•Outtakes
•Gallery
•Trailers
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Danny Hellman

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Sergio Angelini

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 17, 2017

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage & Doberman Cop are must gets for me. Great releases!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I'll double dip on The Bird

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow Academy June announcements:

NEW UK/US TITLE: Seijun Suzuki's The Taisho Trilogy (Zigeunerweisen / Kagero-za / Yumeji) (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD) Limited Edition

Presented together on Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, the films in the Taisho Trilogy are considered Suzuki’s masterpieces in his homeland.

Pre-order your copy via Arrow: http://bit.ly/2n6EmwF
Release Dates: 5/6 June

HAUNTING, HYPNOTIC, FLAMBOYANT, EROTIC, BIZARRE… SUZUKI!

After over a decade in the wilderness following his firing from Nikkatsu for Branded to Kill (1967), maverick director Seijun Suzuki returned with a vengeance with his critically-praised tryptic of cryptic supernatural dramas set during the liberal enlightenment of Japan’s Taisho Era (1912-26).

In the multiple Japanese Academy Award-winning Zigeunerweisen (1980), two intellectuals and former colleagues from military academy involve their wives in a series of dangerous sexual games. In Kageroza (1981), a playwright is drawn like a moth to a flame to a mysterious beauty who might be a ghost, while Yumeji (1991) imagines the real-life painter-poet Takehisa Yumeji’s encounter with a beautiful widow with a dark past.

Presented together on Blu-ray for the first time outside of Japan, the films in the Taisho Trilogy are considered Suzuki’s masterpieces in his homeland. Presenting a dramatic turn from more his familiar tales of cops, gangsters and unruly youth, these surrealistic psychological puzzles drip with a lush exoticism, distinctively capturing the pandemonium of a bygone age of decadence and excess, when Western ideas, fashions, technologies and art fused into everyday aspect of Japanese life.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•Original stereo audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
•New introductions to each film by critic Tony Rayns
•Making-of featurette
•Vintage interview with Seijun Suzuki
•More to be announced…
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the films by critic Jasper Sharp and more.

NEW UK TITLE: One-Eyed Jacks (Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)

A strange, baroque Western, One-Eyed can finally see the film as intended thanks to an outstanding new 4K restoration.

Pre-order your copy here: http://bit.ly/2n6F4Ks
Release Date: 12 June

One-Eyed Jacks is a film with a troubled history. It was almost the feature debut of emerging television director Sam Peckinpah, who penned the original draft screenplay, and it was almost the only Western to be directed by Stanley Kubrick before he too left the project. The eventual director was Marlon Brando, stepping behind the camera for the first and only time.

Brando is Rio, a bank-robber who is double-crossed by his friend and mentor, Dad (Karl Malden). Rio is imprisoned for his role in the crime, but escapes with thoughts of revenge. He tracks down Dad only to find that, during those years spent behind bars, Dad has used his ill-gotten wealth to become the sheriff of Monterey…

A strange, baroque Western, One-Eyed Jacks met with bewilderment by critics and audiences upon release, but slowly developed a cult following despite a succession of below-par masters. Now, thanks to an outstanding new 4K restoration from Martin Scorsese’s The Film Foundation, audiences can finally see the film as intended once again and recognise the masterpiece it always was.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•New 4K restoration by Universal Pictures and The Film Foundation, in consultation with Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg
•Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM Audio
•Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•Brand new audio commentary by Stephen Prince, author of Savage Cinema: Sam Peckinpah and the Rise of Ultraviolent Movies, recorded exclusively for this release
•Introduction by Martin Scorsese
•Marlon Brando: The Wild One, Paul Joyce’s 1996 documentary on the actor, featuring interviews with Dennis Hopper, Shelley Winters, Martin Sheen and Anthony Hopkins
•Additional, previously unseen interview material from Marlon Brando: The Wild One with Francis Ford Coppola and Arthur Penn
•Theatrical trailer
•Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet containing new writing on the film by Jason Wood and Filippo Ulivieri, Karl Malden on Marlon Brando, Paul Joyce on Marlon Brando: The Wild One and an excerpt from Stefan Kanfer’s Somebody: The Reckless Life and Remarkable Career of Marlon Brando.

NEW UK TITLE: The Sorrow and the Pity (Separate Blu-ray and DVD releases)

Marcel Ophuls’ four-and-a-half hour portrait of the French town of Clermont-Ferrand under German occupation from 1940-44

Pre-order on Blu-ray: http://bit.ly/2n6Gbd9
Pre-order on DVD: http://bit.ly/2n6EGvC
Release Date: 5 June 2017

Marcel Ophuls’ four-and-a-half hour portrait of the French town of Clermont-Ferrand under German occupation from 1940-44 is one of the greatest documentaries ever made, as important as Claude Lanzmann’s Shoah in its value not just as a film but as an essential historical record in its own right – not least since its interviewees are all long dead.

Describing the fall of France and the rise of the Resistance, with the aid of newly-shot interviews and eye-opening archive footage including newsreels and propaganda films, Ophuls painstakingly crafts a complex, nuanced picture of what really happened in France over this period. He also demolishes numerous self-serving national myths to such an extent that, although he made the film for French television, they wouldn’t show it for over a decade.

But, as he demonstrates again and again, the overwhelming majority of French citizens during this period weren’t heroes, villains or cowards, but simply ordinary people trying to make the best of an impossible situation. And it’s Ophuls’ portrayal of these people, their hopes, their fears and their appalling moral quandaries, that remains unmatched in film history.

Blu-ray:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation, from materials supplied by Gaumont
•Original French mono audio (uncompressed LPCM on the Blu-ray)
•Interview with director Marcel Ophuls, filmed in 2004
•Le Nouveau Vendredi: The Sorrow and the Pity, a 55-minute debate that followed the film’s belated 1981 French television premiere, in which Ophuls and historians Henri Amouroux and Alain Guérin discuss the film and the issues that it raises with an audience of students from Clermont-Ferrand
•Reversible sleeve featuring new and original artwork
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Pauline Kael and Jean-Pierre Melville, plus extensive historical context.

DVD:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•High Definition digital transfer, from materials supplied by Gaumont
•Original French mono audio (uncompressed LPCM on the Blu-ray)
•Interview with director Marcel Ophuls, filmed in 2004
•Le Nouveau Vendredi: The Sorrow and the Pity, a 55-minute debate that followed the film’s belated 1981 French television premiere, in which Ophuls and historians Henri Amouroux and Alain Guérin discuss the film and the issues that it raises with an audience of students from Clermont-Ferrand
•Reversible sleeve featuring new and original artwork

NEW UK TITLE: Aquarius (Separate Blu-ray and DVD releases)

Kleber Mendonça Filho's follow up to his audacious 2012 debut, Neighbouring Sounds

Pre-order on Blu-ray: http://bit.ly/2n6AHiu
Pre-order on DVD: http://bit.ly/2n6ECfm
Release Date: 26 June 2017

The Girl From Recife

Clara, a 65 year old widow and retired music critic, was born into a wealthy and traditional family in Recife, Brazil. She is the last resident of the Aquarius, an original two-story building, built in the 1940s, in the upper-class, seaside Avenida Boa Viagem, Recife. All the neighbouring apartments have already been acquired by a company which has other plans for that plot. Clara has pledged to only leave her place upon her death, and will engage in a cold war of sorts with the company, a confrontation which is both mysterious, frightening and nerve wracking. This tension both disturbs Clara and gives her that edge on her daily routine. It also gets her thinking about her loved ones, her past and her future.

Sonia Braga delivers a tour-de-force performance as Dona Clara in Kleber Mendonça Filho's follow up to his audacious 2012 debut, Neighbouring Sounds, where, once again, the Brazilian film critic, turned director, examines human life in urban spaces in his home town of Recife. Clara's eclectic collection of LP's and her vintage French 3-sheet poster of Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, the latter item belonging to the director, will delight lovers of packaged media and memorabilia, items that Clara herself calls 'special objects'.

Blu-ray:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
•Original 5.1 audio (uncompressed on the Blu-ray)
•New interview with Director Kleber Mendonça Filho conducted by critic Ian Haydn Smith
•Making-of featurette
•Trailer
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Booklet featuring writing on the film by Sophie Monks Kaufman

DVD:
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
•Standard Definition DVD presentation
•Original 5.1 audio
•New interview with Director Kleber Mendonça Filho conducted by critic Ian Haydn Smith
•Making-of featurette
•Trailer

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Arrow flash sale through April 3.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Is The Driller Killer any good?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Is The Driller Killer any good?

Yes. PLAY IT LOUD

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I blind bought Mutilator and Blood Rage today and they should arrive next week. I hope they're good.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I blind bought Mutilator and Blood Rage today and they should arrive next week. I hope they're good.

Even if they suck they'll probably look great on your shelf

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

City of the Dead review

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I took the plunge and got the HG Lewis Feast Boxset. This thing is wonderful.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Looks like Arrow is going to release Basket Case from a new restoration. This will be a definite upgrade for me. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=13454359&postcount=9457

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Cross post from the bluray thread, but the US releases of Miike's Dead or Alive trilogy and House 1 & 2 are this Tuesday and the pricing is currently pretty good on Amazon.

Arrow is cool and good.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Has anyone received the Pieces Deluxe set yet? I pre-ordered mine and haven't received it yet, I'm in the usa so it could just be longer shipping time. I'm getting worried though

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Has anyone received the Pieces Deluxe set yet? I pre-ordered mine and haven't received it yet, I'm in the usa so it could just be longer shipping time. I'm getting worried though

What date did it ship? They usually take about three weeks to get to me in Kansas City.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

What date did it ship? They usually take about three weeks to get to me in Kansas City.

I don't think I received a shipping email now that you ask. The bluray released March 27.

e: just checked, and no email. I emailed their customer service to get some insight.

e2: Figured it out! Had an email in my spam folder (of course) indicating the shipping dates got pushed back to April 17th.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

If it shipped on release date that's only been two weeks. I'm sure you're fine.

Shipping times from the UK are staggering. I've been spoiled by Amazon Prime shipping.

• Locked thread