Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Tardzilla posted:

- Wow, that's rough. Nobody should ever have to deal with a fate like that. What's the one thing you want to do before your time is up?

Thanks for the sympathy.

Did that seem a little dry? Well, I've heard it often enough, doesn't do much to help though. That's why I prefer not to mention it much. Just gets people acting sorry for me, when I'd rather just treated me like normal, or maybe like normal but with extra free pizza and floats.

One thing? One thing... Tricky... There's a lot of things I'd like to do, but just one... It's a bit selfish, considering I'm going to die, and leave them all alone, but... I'd like to date someone. Not just one date, but be together, dating. Watch movies together, make-out in front of the stars, sneak out of class to go joyriding, whatever. Couple stuff. Mushy, romantic garbage.

Tardzilla posted:

What would let you pass on with no regrets?
One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
She left it dead, and with its head
      She went galumphing back.

Tardzilla posted:

- The sword talks to you? What does it usually talk to you about?

At first it was pretty limited. Talked about how to use its powers, the demon, that sort of thing. In a fight, it usually has good insights about the battlefield, what to do, probably from it's experience fighting in the past, and it's general telepathic powers.

I think I've... corrupted it or something though, because these days when we aren't in a serious situation, it mostly wants to talk about classic anime and TV shows. I really shouldn't have left it around while I was binge watching shows in the hospital, because it eats that stuff up. I suppose being stuck in a ruin for centuries must be really boring, because it tries to eat up every bit of history and pop culture it can get it's hands on. At least recently it's started paying attention to the Hero news, so I can ask it for information about that stuff if it comes up in class or we meet one.

Still, you don't know what annoying is until you're trying to focus on an arcade game and you have a literal voice in your head bugging you to go home so it can watch the next episode of "My Totally Irresponsible Ninja Past!" I don't even like that show!

Tardzilla posted:

Also, what is it about showing mercy that offends it? Is it one of those "all evil must be punished" sort of things?
"Suffer Not Evil."

That kind of idea. It's definitely an "all evil must be punished" mindset, but it's also a bit of an extension of the "harm no innocents" thing. If I stop a criminal, and then allow them to go free and they commit another crime, I might be less guilty of it, but that blood is still on my hands, because I could have stopped it, and didn't. I don't... really agree with that, but... that's how the sword views it. I sees things very black and white, which I suppose is fitting based on it's color scheme. And being a sword. "When all you have is a hammer..."

Tardzilla posted:

- What's the most interesting artifact you've found in your sanctuary? What makes it stick out above the rest? Is there a special significance to it?

So, there's a whole lot of artifacts in the sanctuary. I don't have a clue what most of them do, Snicker-snack can usually guide mt to one if there's one that'll help me with what I need, and sometimes I'll just pick one up to find out what it is or does, which is more or less what happened with this one. A lot of them seem to have some kind of combat relating use, which kind of gave me the wrong impression of whoever built this place. But then I found the... I don't really have a good name for it. It's some kind of instrument, a small flute maybe, and it was tucked away inside a stone box, I didn't realize it was a box for awhile, which is why it took so long to find. But it immediately stood out, mostly because of how it looks.

Now, most of the stuff in my Sanctuary isn't alive, like Snicker-snack. He's pretty unique. This one isn't either, but it has a similar telekinetic effect. When I play it, instead of making music, it makes memories and emotions. Good ones though, it only makes happy memories, brings back good times, even ones you've forgotten, like the first hug you ever got. I probably wouldn't have made it without that, being able to go to the Sanctuary and play it to comfort myself. I've never tried it around anyone else though, I wonder if it'd work on anyone but the person using it? But really, any culture that would make that can't be one that values war. I wish I could have met whoever built this place.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Finished the optional questions, and Meeba's app should be complete with that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

- So, um, can you ever turn the light show off, or is it a permanent thing? Doesn't it get really inconvenient sometimes?

Well, yeah, I'm usually like this, but when I use too much of m'powers, I look like a normal human for about a day. Yeah, it gets really tricky. I ain't never been good at a sleepover, fer one.

quote:

- Has there ever been a point were you lost control of your powers?

Well, when I was workin' out in the barn one day, one of the ranchhands came up all in a panic. I asked him what was wrong, and he said....he said that my Mama had died. Everythin'....everythin' went blank, and th' next thing I knew, I was in cooldown and the barn was gone! The stress had caused me to let go of all m'energy all at once, which I guess is why they got Miss Grape helpin' me with that.

quote:

- You and Sweet Dandy were once forced to team up together, whether you both liked it or not. How did that go?

That consarn fussbudget was teamed with me on an urban combat exercise, an' she was bein' a know-it-all, like always!

"It's not my fault you kept getting lost in the back alleys. You were costing us time."

SHUT UP, I'M TELLIN' IT. So I got sick of her garbage, an' we kinda got into a fight.

"You shoved me into the street!"

A man's not a man 'less he's got regrets! So yeah, we got a bit violent an' ended up failin' the exercise. I jes'.....can't STAND HER!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Round 1 Questions Part 3!

Jacob Lawson

- "Don't at me?" Is that what the kids are saying nowadays? Anyways, you should know Athena worked pretty hard to get you accepted into the academy. She's not the type of person who would put that much effort into someone unless she believes they're truly worth it. What do you think she sees in you that most people don't?

- For someone who likes to "stick it to the man," you sure do hate villainy a whole bunch. Is there a reason behind your strong dislike for evil?

- You've recently met a particularly nasty piece of work in Rat Street. Who are they, and how were they a problem? How did you deal with them?

- (Bonus question) is anime real y/n

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Round 1 questions, and Lyrebird's sheet updated with the final bits.

quote:

- Do you still keep in contact with Fowleri? How does he feel about you joining the academy?

Of I'm keeping contact, my training isn't complete! Of course, it's a lot less in-person hand-to-hand training and a lot more video chat lecturing these days, but I'm still learning stuff that school doesn't cover. Can you believe this place doesn't have a dedicated course for combining mind-reading with martial arts?

I think Fowleri's ok with me going to the academy? I mean, he's never said he isn't. Although he never really says anything negative? Just gets kind of subtly passive aggressive. And I guess his lectures have included a lot of brooding about solitude lately. More than usual, I mean.

Well, if he has anything to say, he'll just have to say it.

quote:

- When did you first discover your powers? How long did it take for you to adjust to them?
Oh, I've always known. The doctors found a weird extra lump in my brain when I was a baby, concluded that it wasn't cancer, and had me examined by a whole bunch of experts. Some weeks of poking and prodding later, they told my parents it was harmless and that I'd probably end up with superpowers. They also provided several hundred pages of research on the "Park Anomaly" in my brain, which was great fun when I was learning how to read. Apparently, it's a "benign metamorphic growth, reacting on the physical, spiritual and conceptual level when exposed to a viable template."

As for when my powers actually appeared, I think I was maybe eight? Nine? My school had a meet-and-greet with "a real superhero," Omoikane. He had telepathy, low-level telekinesis, and no ambition whatsoever. Anyway, he did the whole "not having powers doesn't mean you aren't special" bit (lol) and gave hugs and handshakes to all the kids who wanted it. That was the first time I got close to another super, and after that I just... knew how to do what he did. No muss, no fuss, just "oh, so this is how you read minds and that's how you move things with your thoughts". It was really quite anticlimactic. And I never lost Omoikane's powers, either, maybe because they were the first I ever copied. Adjusting was easy — I already knew I was special.

It did take me a few years to start respecting people's privacy. Didn't realize how rude it was to casually browse surface thoughts until I learned mom and dad were monitoring my internet traffic. That was not a fun day, let me tell you. Now, I only read minds when I have permission. Or when it's important, like in a fight. Or if I'm really curious.

quote:

- The whole stunt you pulled at the hospital has garnered some unwanted (or wanted) media attention. How have you been dealing with all the attention you've suddenly been getting? How has it been causing trouble for the academy?

It's cool. Fame comes with the territory. Can't blame people for wanting to know who to look up to! No big deal if I skip class once or twice for an interview, right? And it's not like the academy itself hasn't been in the spotlight before. The employee handbook probably has a whole chapter on shooing away nosy reporters. So the media isn't really a problem for anyone!

Well, the real media anyway. You know, the ones with sizeable audiences and an ounce of journalistic integrity? Some of the so-called "alternative outlets" aren't as polite. They don't harass people or anything, at least not yet, but... Here, I'll just send you a link.

The Extra Ordinary posted:

Last week, an act of domestic terrorism shook our fair city. Ursa, a well-known and state-sanctioned superpowered vigilante, used her powers to collapse an office building, resulting in nine deaths and at least thirty major injuries. Her motive — if she had any — remains unknown, since she was rendered comatose when the building fell on her. The world is not without a sense of justice, it seems.

But I already talked about that. I called on you to assemble in peaceful protest against the government's response to this incident — giving Ursa an all-expenses-paid vacation to the swankiest hospital in New Arcadia. A terrorist is being given the best possible treatment, paid for by your taxes, while her surviving victims have to pay out of their own pockets for the care that will let them return to some semblance of a normal life!

And assemble you did. Almost a hundred brave souls, fed up with being treated like something less than human for the simple crime of not being more than human. Our manifestation was being watched, of course — Landsknecht, who you remember from some of my previous articles was hanging around, waiting for an excuse to get violent. Of course, we didn't give him one.

Until we had to defend ourselves.

That's right — another vigilante showed up, and this one didn't need any excuses to turn to violence. She struck from behind, breaking arms and legs left and right, without a care in the world. She was giggling. She was — is — barely more than a child, and already she enjoys oppressing those who cannot defend themselves. It didn't take long for Landsknecht to join in on the "fun".

The chaos that followed was short and brutal. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say none of us walked away without scars.

Soon after, the authorities showed up and arrested both of them, sending Landsknecht off to jail and the newcomer ("Lyrebird") to juvenile detention and psychological counseling.

Wait, no, sorry. That's what should have happened. Instead, the police blamed us for the whole affair! The "heroes" were interviewed on live television even as their victims were being hauled off to intesive care. Landsknecht got a pat on the back, and Lyrebird was offered enrollment in the Hero Training Academy. As a reward. For brutalizing innocents.

Maybe you saw the interview. She was all smiles. Talked about a brighter tomorrow. Made a few quips, probably got a laugh or two. I'll never forget that. How quickly and easily she hid her bloodlust behind a mask of civility. And if she goes to that academy, she'll only get worse. That girl needs a straightjacket, not combat training! Mark my words, if she graduates from that place, we will have an unholy terror on our hands. A murderous monster with the mainstream media eating out of her hand. People. Will. Die.

Not that you'll ever hear about it. Not from anywhere but here.

I don't doubt that I've made an enemy today, by exposing this Liar Bird for who she really is. Maybe she'll come after me. Maybe she'll send some of her inhuman friends. Hell, maybe she'll just ask the government to deal with me! We all know whose side they're on.

Even with all the risk, I had to speak out. Someone needs to bring the truth to the people — and I will continue doing just that, as long as I breathe.

Wake up! We outnumber them!

The Extra Ordinary is run entirely on the good will of regular folks like you. Click here to donate and support our struggle.

That's pretty much all bullshit! I did not attack from behind, and I certainly didn't giggle. Ursa is not a terrorist, domestic or otherwise — she just knocked out some supporting walls while fighting Moletron X. Everyone makes mistakes! And it was not a "peaceful protest," those guys (there were only like, twelve) had guns and knives! Already drawn by the time I got there! Landsknecht had his sword on fire, and looked ready to charge in! I did throw the first punch, yeah, but that powderkeg was gonna explode anyway. I didn't light the fuse, they did when they came to literally murder a coma patient!

Ugh. Anyway, there's a couple of articles like that around the web. That was one of the more extreme ones. Some people buy into it, I guess. There's been a few protests outside the academy since then. Some against me personally ("We will be heard! Expel the Liar Bird!" — catchy, but kind of grating after a while) but mostly calling for more accountability, stricter monitoring of underage supers, blah blah blah. I guess these people just don't have anything better to do.

Ah, what can I say? Haters gonna hate.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

!!!3 MORE DAYS TILL THE DEADLINE!!!

If there's no new apps by Thursday, then I'll be closing recruits early, and to those who haven't answered their questions yet, please make sure you do before Saturday! If you need an extension, please let me know!

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Tardzilla posted:

Round 1 Questions

Rave

- Being the daughter of two diplomats mustn't be easy. What was your relationship like with your parents? Do you miss them, or do you prefer being away from them?

Oh...you have additional inquiries? About my parental units - well, diplomacy takes many forms across an infinitely expanding and multidimensional reality. But I suppose if one is to ascribe a difficulty to my rearing, it would best be considered "trying". They could only afford to truly pay attention to me for four-century periods, discounting my infancy of course - so I was something of a...what is the term for it...a "latch key kid".

What does that mean? Are the children inanimate objects in those cases?

...regardless. This sort of rearing required that I of course take the time to attend to my own affairs - learn the variable ways of reality as all Corans do through tutors and notes and experimentation and things of this nature. I suppose it is not a terribly uncommon childhood - if still infinitely more full than what adolescents are capable of in three-dimensional realities such as this one.

I have very little cause to miss my parental units. To my perspective I have been gone for the equivalent of perhaps 12 hours. Roughly. I suppose I would have to do the math...

...having done the math I overestimated it slightly. 10.777 repeating hours is the equivalent. I suppose the over-exaggeration would indicate some degree of longing for Coran space, and yes, perhaps even my parental units. Or perhaps my perceptions are simply flawed as a result of existing in three dimensional form for a comparably lengthy amount of time. Still, I am used to raising myself, certainly, and I believe my preference is for independence as opposed to interdependence.

quote:

- So, what is it about super-heroics that attracted you to it in the first place?

Aside from music and artistry, super-heroics is obviously the greatest chance the Terran species has of escaping the banality of its limitations. The seemingly random micro-evolutions that cause parahuman ability brings your planet, despite it's pre-multidimensional reality - close to something resembling Coran space - which is still infinitely more cosmopolitan and complex, of course. But it is something. It is...tolerable, to engage in these super-heroics, as you put them, because I would be engaging in such activities in this reality one way or another. The fact that there are more people who can engage in them with me and perhaps perceive a fraction of true understanding is enough to stave off the madness that comes with utter boredom. Somewhat, at least.

quote:

- You've managed to attract some attention with your distress signal, but it was the wrong type of attention. Who was it that picked up on your signal?

To say that I was distressed that a Revian had picked up on my distress signal would be an understatement. To say that I was diquieted that the Revian who had picked up my signal was Orvan the Crusher is The understatement of the picta-millenium.

Orvan is a murderer, he is wanted across Coran space for his continual and ceaseless criminal activities. Revians are multi-dimensional entities, like Corans, but, as you can see, their dimensional synchronization is less refined than ours. They always come across as the local equivalent of massive, angry monsters. They exist on the fringes of Coran space, conquered by the Omnimarch some 27 thousand eons previous to this current eon - but they have never stopped being displeased with this, despite all efforts to ingratiate them into Coran society. Constant flare ups of violence and bloodshed mar the south-western quadrant of the Vargolis Cluster as peacekeeping forces must maintain a constant vigilance.

They also hold particularly raucous parties - so I may have been heading that way when I caught the wrong side of the trans-dimensional wind.

Orvan is the worst of the Revians. He's a violent revolutionary, with outstanding warrants for multi-galactic piracy, assassination, terrorism, and sedition. While he has not discovered me I saw him - once - flying across the city. I do not know if he has realized just who it is who has sent the signal, or from where, but he has certainly homed in on it.

If he discovers me doubtless things will go very bad for this ball of dirt, very quickly.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Before anybody asks, no, there won't be any additional questions. Rave is an exception since I felt bad asking questions about only one aspect of her character, so I asked LifeGetsWorser if they were okay with me revising her questions. The rest of you are free from question hell. :v:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Jacob Lawson

Tardzilla posted:

"Don't at me?" Is that what the kids are saying nowadays?
For the record, yeah it is. But don't- don't even try to start using it yourself. Okay? Then we'll have to fuckin' find something new to say.

Tardzilla posted:

Anyways, you should know Athena worked pretty hard to get you accepted into the academy. She's not the type of person who would put that much effort into someone unless she believes they're truly worth it. What do you think she sees in you that most people don't?

I- I don't know! What do YOU think, huh?! Maybe she just appreciated how badass I was! Yeah, how am I supposed to know?! It's not like I'm... some sort of... emotional psychic or something...

I mean- I mean... gently caress. It's embarrasing, okay...?!

Yeah, she worked really hard to get me in here. I mean, she pretty much had to, right? A kid like me, with my grades, with my record... there's no way I'd get in here on my own. They'd just throw my transcript in the trash and slam the door in my face. And even when she stuck up for me they still tried to.

I'm... I'm glad they didn't. I mean- I mean- gently caress. If Athena didn't get me here I'd still be stuck with my parents... dealing with their bullshit day in, day out. And then they'd be right about everything... I'd really just be good for nothing. But- but- that's not what happened. Athena did help me, and now I'm here, and... I really owe for her that. Probably.

gently caress, I got- I got distracted. That wasn't related to your question at all, was it? Sorry. Wait, no- I'm not sorry. gently caress you. I can have feelings sometimes. Just don't go around talking about it.

Alright, you wanna know why she went so far for me? Well that's- uh. uhhh... probably a good question. I mean- she saw me hit that guy with the guitar, and she saw me save that charity jar... but that's just standard stuff. If it was anything, I'd say it was that she sees the real me? Like, I mean- gently caress. How do I explain this...

It's like- I'm not a rebel for no reason. I don't actually gently caress poo poo up for the sake of loving poo poo up. I just do what feels right. And I guess a lot of times what feels right to me doesn't seem right to others. So there's a lot of people out there who just kinda dismiss me as a no-good punk. I guess I kind of am. But Athena's never treated me that way. She's very patient. Extremely patient. Ungodly patient. I've tried to rile her up tons of times, like everyone else. But she's never once gotten mad at me...

I think... if I had to say something, I think she understands that I feel things? Like, more than just a regular person. And she knows that I don't back down when dumb rules or dumb people try to stop me.

Tardzilla posted:

For someone who likes to "stick it to the man," you sure do hate villainy a whole bunch. Is there a reason behind your strong dislike for evil?

See, that's the loving problem. You're treating it like it's the same thing, but it's not, alright?! I'm not like them.

Me? I do what I want. I do what feels right. I listen to my loving heart. Them? They don't HAVE a loving heart! They just do what they want, and they don't give a gently caress about what happens or who they hurt! Does that make sense?

There's a loving difference! I'm exposing how arbitrary and bullshit society's rules are! You ever stop and think about how many ideas you follow everyday are just loving pretend? Laws are just loving pieces of paper! Grades too! They don't actually exist! You want proof? Just try walking out of class. No stealth, no bullshit. Just stand up. And walk out. And you know what? Nobody's going to stop you. You know why? Because you don't actually have to be there. And it's the same poo poo like that all over the place.

You don't actually have to pay for music and tv shows. You don't actually have to follow traffic lights. You don't have to do poo poo. You wanna shoplift? Go ahead. You wanna jaywalk? Go ahead.

It's like I said. Do what feels right. It's that loving simple. Just do what works right for you, and don't try to hurt people. Or whatever.

But some people can't even loving do THAT! Can't even meet the bare loving minimum of basic human decency! They look in their hearts and they don't find poo poo! Or maybe they know what's right and they just do the opposite for kicks! They'll loving blow up skyscrapers! Take hostages! Scare the poo poo out of people! Just for fun! gently caress that!

The poo poo I do? Doesn't harm nobody. Or if it does, it's- it's never too much. It's called punching up. You never hurt somebody that doesn't deserve it. You never hurt somebody that's weaker than you. Steal from the store? Sure, they've got enough money. It doesn't hurt anybody. Steal from the bank? Yeah, ok, whatever. That poo poo's insured anyway. But taking innocent people hostage? No, gently caress you. Those people didn't do poo poo. You see how it works?

I will loving excuse a lot of poo poo. Hell, I know I'm not a perfect person myself. But if you are just completely heartless, well, I got no loving sympathy for you. I will fight you any day of the loving week.

Oh, and before you go 'well not ALL villains are completely bad,' I'm not talking about anybody hat might have any kind of excuse. Like, if you're just repeating a cycle of trauma and tragedy because of whatever, well... I'll probably still fight you. But I won't hate you.

Tardzilla posted:

You've recently met a particularly nasty piece of work in Rat Street. Who are they, and how were they a problem? How did you deal with them?

Oh, that person. What was their name again? It was something dumb, like...

Hellwing Babylon? But there was like, more to it. That's the real dumb part. It was like... Hellwing Babylon, the Dark Angel, Prophet of the One True Heresy, Acolyte of Ultimate Darkness. Yeah. Like imagine someone making their entrance and just shouting all of that. See, this is why I haven't chosen a hero name yet. Imagine if I went with something that dumb.

God, they are a loving piece of work. I don't think I've ever seen someone so ridiculous take themselves so seriously in my entire life. It's like they're some fuckin' original character that's jumped right out of some thirteen-year-old's fan-fiction. gently caress, they probably write that kind of fan fiction.

I saw them standing outside the music store. When I tried to go inside they said to me, "O, poor traveler. Do you realize you are about to step into a den of Sin? Satan has their hands upon this place, and if you enter they will have their hands on you."

Who the gently caress even says poo poo like that anymore?! I just told 'em to go gently caress off. And that I'll listen to all the loving Satan music I want. And you know what? If Satan's the only one that can get me good music, then I'll Hail Satan every day! God can kiss my rear end if he thinks he can tell me what to do!

And they just had this most priceless expression on their face. I don't think anyone's straight-up told them to go gently caress off before. They looked at me like I just punched their mom or kicked a baby or something. They were so loving scandalized.

"How... how DARE you utter such Vulgarity and Blasphemy! In the name of Dark Heaven, I will have to make an example of you and Cleanse your Sin from these pure streets!"

And they just start conjuring up these orbs of darkness, and I'm like... One, what the hell is wrong with you?! Cleansing Sin, really?! I didn't know people like that still existed! And Two, I don't even get how the hell your system of Sin and Not-Sin is even supposed to work! Like, you call yourself Hellwing Babylon, but you're still fighting Sin? For the sake of 'Dark Heaven'? What does that even mean? And Three, you're loving doing it- you're loving calling Rat Street, of all the loving places in the world, 'pure'?

Like, what a loving weirdo. Honestly I think they were making all that poo poo up as they went. Or maybe it's from some big canon of fanfiction or something? I don't know. I didn't have much time to think about it. I was too busy dodging black magic and poo poo.

I was actually kind of lucky that they're such a serious weirdo. 'Cause people like that? Super easy to gently caress with. Just yell a few curse words at 'em, give 'em a direct taste of anger and outrage and they just lose their composure so loving quickly. They were crying.

"You... you IGNORANT FOOL! Do you not REALIZE the DARK path of DESTRUCTION you are heading down! Stop at ONCE before your SIN invites the world's DESTRUCTION!"

Yeah, gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

Eventually I lead them into this closed-down bar, which they totally did not want to step foot in, by the way.

"Leading me from one department of Sin to another? Well don't think-" Oh, and to piss 'em off more I just started taking the leftover booze and drinking it. "How DARE you!"

Yeah, called it. Someone like that? No way they'd put up with underage drinking. So I decided to up the ante, and I threw the bottle at them. Hit 'em right in the face.

"Some of that...! Some of that...! Some of that got in my mouth! You're trying to force your corruption upon ME! I... I have to go cleanse myself! But don't think I'll forget this!"

And then they ran away, like a scared little dumb baby. Just because they got a little alcohol in their mouth.

God, if I ever turn into someone like that... just kill me.

Tardzilla posted:

(Bonus question) is anime real y/n

Hey, I think your spam filter hosed up. Because it's sending me bullshit. loving waste of time. Isn't this a hero interview?

It- it totally is, though. And I don't mean in that 'my hugpillow wife is totally real' way but like, gently caress, it's about as real as anything else on this loving planet. Might just be fuckin' lines and sounds on a screen, but all that was made by somebody, right? Tryin' to tell a loving story. And they put feelings into that, which are probably more real than any of the arbitrary bullshit you have to follow on any given day.

I mean if the only real things are feelings, then anything with real feelings is real, right? All those episodes of Rose Princess Noriko meant something to me, so they are something. It's not like I cried over nothing...

So, uh... yes.

Wait, "bonus question"? I didn't have to answer it? gently caress.

---

Sorry for the delay Tardzilla, and thanks for being accommodating. It's been a bit of a crazy week.

Speaking of time, though, I should mention again that I'll be gone from about March 6 through the 23rd. (About two and a half weeks) That's not that far away, so I wanted to let you know and keep that in mind when you're making picks.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

:siren:PICKS ARE IN!!:siren:

Thank you all for your interest, and I'm sorry for subjecting you all to SO MANY QUESTIONS. Due to the high number of wonderful apps, I've decided to make two games (God help me). I almost briefly considered to make it two teams of 7 to squeeze in more apps, but even I'm not that that crazy. Congratulations to all those who got in, and commiserations to those that didn't. All of you have done a fantastic job, and I wish I can take more, but even I have my limits. You've all made me super excited to run this game, and I hope I can provide a fun experience for all of you!

With all that in mind, please say hello to:

Class 1-A!

Psychosoma, the Innocent by Yami Fenrir
Sanguine, the Bull by Tricky
Sammi, the Newborn by Arashiofordo3
Meeba, the Outsider by Alien Rope Burn
Black Rabbit, the Delinquent by Antivehicular
X-Calibre, the Doomed by GodFish

Class 2-B!

Lucky Ted, the Beacon by TheNabster
Dynamic Savior: Phoenix, the Legacy by Justice Grieves
Rave, the Outsider by LifeGetsWorser
White Emperor Runaway, the Janus by Scrree
Lyrebird, the Protégé by Auraboks
Jacob Lawson, the Delinquent by Takanago

Class 1-A, this will be your OOC thread. Please establish your influences, relationships, and what happened when you first got together as a team. You'll also need to come up with a team name, and designate a team leader!

Class 2-B, your thread is :siren:here!:siren:

Once again, thank you all, and I'm sorry for those who didn't get picked. If you have anymore questions, please PM me, or hit me up on the synIRC chat #swampthings.

Now get going, heroes! Those bad guys won't punch themselves!

Influence Sheet!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 6, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Sanguine: Uhm... they're kinda ... strange? My senses go off crazy around them. As if they're multiple people? Uhm... I don't really get it, but they're strong and durable. Which is nice, because I'm... not.

Sammi: Oh, I remember her! She's a homunculus, right? We've had plenty of those back in the day. This one seems a little bit different than the one's we used back in the day, but I don't quite understand why. Perhaps it's just a more advanced ritual?

Meeba: Uhm... I'm somewhat knowledgable about eldritch beings due to my training, but I've never quite seen or heard of anything like Meeba before. But then again, the people here have already discovered more worlds than we ever thought possible back then. Like, space and such. I suppose it's reasonable one exists where beings like Meeba exist. Trying to read her surface thoughts have been a nightmare, though. Her mind and soul must be different from ours...

Black Rabbit: I don't really understand him. He looks like a Rabbit Totem guide, but his thoughts are more along the line of a Fox Totem Guide, and his abilities are -- He's not a Totem Guide? Oh. What a strange way of dressing, then. And stranger actions still. Is this what being modern is about?

X-Calibre: Eeep! Her? ... Do I have to? ... Okay. I'll be honest. I'm terrified. Does nobody else notice that demon mark? Or this horrifying sword? I... I want to help her get rid of those, but... I don't know how!

Relationships

quote:

Sanguine was hurt by my future self once; I've got to make it up to them.

It turns out, I wasn't the only one who noticed something off with Sanguine. Unfortunately for Sanguine, that other person was Phantom. And Phantom apparently wasn't too fond of whatever she saw, because she attacked him.

And for all his physical strength, it matters little when the opponent can attack your spirit directly. Thankfully, I was able to mend him, but... I still feel incredibly bad about what happened. Just what ticked Phantom off so much about him?

quote:

Black Rabbit is my best hope to stop myself from becoming my future self.

He seems to be the most normal of the group here. What with me, a strange eldritch being, a spirit, and person locked into eternal battle with a demon...

And I think what I need is normal. Maybe if I can integrate myself into this new world, I can stop myself from becoming a second Phantom.

... I hope so...

Influence

quote:

These people know your future self, maybe even better than you do. For better or
worse, you care what they think. Give Influence to all your teammates.

Psychosoma cares! ... also she doesn't know jack about this time period so naturally she'd lean on you all.

quote:

When our team first came together…
My future self got involved and either exacerbated the problems, or solved somesubstantial portion of them. Which is it? Why? How?

I arrived fairly late into the fight, but before it ended. Most of the building was already horribly damaged, but it was still intact. I was mostly busy rescuing civilians, but...

I realized Scorcer wasn't doing this on his own accord. I noticed it when I accidentally run into him. His spirit has been altered, with an all too familiar type of magic - spirit magic.

Phantom made him a puppet and forced him do this for... some reason. A distraction, perhaps? The boy Scorcer went after didn't seem all that special. To me, at least...

quote:

Team leader and team name

Psychosoma abstains on both accounts.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

quote:

Relationships

Sanguine shows you around and tells you how things work.

The behaviour of Meeba confuses you again and again.

Opinions!

Sanguine - H-He always tries t-to be so g-gentle. H-He's teaching me v-video games a-and cooking, a-and so much! S-Sometimes I get all h-hot and f-flustered around him a-a-and I can't t-talk r-right. A-Ahhh, I-I'm so b-bad at this...

Meeba - S-She's like a spirit... b-but she's just so... u-um, alien? I keep thinking I-I understand her, b-but then I don't...! A-A-And she's really squishy too!

Psychosoma - She s-smells of the Spirit W-World. U-Um, that's a g-good thing! I-It's nice to talk to her a-about the spirit side, s-she understands what it-it's like, t-trying to adjust to all o-of this.

Black Rabbit - He... u-um, he's k-kinda scary. B-But I c-can tell, he's g-got a good s-soul. I c-can't even count the n-number of times h-he's helped fix my scarf w-when I've torn it!

X-Calibre - That S-Sword is b-b-bad! U-Ugh, that t-thing scares me. C-Claire is nice t-though! S-She's lovely! B-But I can f-feel that thing s-screaming w-when it's drawn.

quote:

Influence

You’re receptive to how people think and behave around you. Give influence to all of your teammates.

Influence for all!

quote:

When we first came together
"We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?"

The fire crackled merrily as it ate into the stonework. The faux-marble for it's part, glowed brightly, and slowly melted. It wasn't every really supposed to stand up to this kind of heat. Who could blame it? Very few things were ever supposed to stand up to the heat of the Scorcher!

"drat brats! I'll burn you to ash!" He yelled to the wrecked room. The ceiling had fallen in, and large piles of rubble dotted the room. Providing cover for the trembling girl crouched behind one of them. Sammi glanced over the top of her hiding spot. How had she even got herself in this situation?

It was supposed to be a chance for her to meet some of her classmates to be, a little meet and greet. Fast food, arcades, shopping. The Hive Sky-Mall(tm) had it all. It's modern architecture based on bee hives, and ant hills. Theoretically, a great place for teens to meet and relax. Not that Sammi was ever relaxed as such. But that was the theory anyway. (Could you tell this was organised by Mr Helix? The Science teacher was well known for holding very stereotypical views of teenagers and applying those views to everyone without exception.) Sammi had decided to try and be brave, to attend without clinging to Headmistress Amala the whole time. She regretted that decision completely. She'd been trying to work out how much money she'd need to buy some food, when she'd felt the siren pull of someone in danger. It vibrated through the spirit weld. Spirits of fear and crulty swam forth to feed on the emotional energies. Curiously Sammi followed them.

There she'd seen a sinister man with an eye patch pulling at the arm of a boy. Sammi wasn't good with ages, but he was probably a teenager. A crowd surrounded the attempted kidnapping, watching in shock. Yelling for help. Anyone who came too close got a gout of flame for their troubles. Sammi looked around for a hero to save the day. But none seemed forthcoming... then she remembered that she was a hero...-ish. Chewing on her lip and fidgeting with her sleeves, Sammi tried to work out what to do. Maybe she could talk him down?

Shockingly, it had not gone well.

She glanced at the boy hiding with her, he looked... scared? Sammi was pretty sure that was scared. So was she. She'd gotten him away from the Scorcher, but now Sammi didn't know what to do. Should she try and hit the bad guy out the building? Would he survive it? They'd already broken three floors in the fight so far, and the civies had run for it at the first chance.

Ohhhh, she was going to be in so much trouble...!

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 5, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Team Opinions:

Black Rabbit: Yeah, I know it may not look like I'm his biggest fan. I give him a lot of crap. Most of it is good-natured, if you ask me. But, you know, he's not too bad to have around. Helps keep things from getting too heavy. I just wish I wasn't so worried about him when it's time to rumble. Can he really keep up? Maybe if I give him a few fighting tips...

Psychosoma: She's a little confusing, you know? A wizard from past Atlantis, I guess, and she's got some seriously funky powers. I look at her and I can't possibly see how she'd end up being some sort of villain like the Phantom. Maybe she's got a dark side that she's buried deep down, but... I don't know. The elders want me to be careful around her.

Sammi: Sammi is great. Seriously. I feel like I can talk to her about anything. And I have. I've told her about everything that happened to me at the Red Leaves Sect. I don't know how much of it she really understood, but... Well, it was good getting it off my chest. I'm no magician and I don't pretend to understand what makes her tick or why. All I know is that she's as much of a person as any of us. I'm going to keep her safe.

Meeba: If Psychosoma confuses me, Meeba is completely baffling. I don't even know what she's talking about with all this color business and how hard or soft people are. She can hold her own in a fight, though, so I don't need to worry about her too much. Maybe I am too strong. I didn't ask for this, you know? I'm just trying to make something of it. Not really my fault that the most straight-forward path is what I'm best at.

X-Calibre: She's pretty interesting. The blade she's got gives me some real bad vibes, but the girl herself? We're cool. I've seen her at the arcade from time to time. Haven't had the chance to challenge her or anything, but I'm itching for someone to game with. Playing fighting games isn't half as fun when you're stuck grinding it out in training mode or dealing with lag online.

When our team first came together...

quote:

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Right, right. The Scorcher. What kind of lunatic tries to burn down a mall? I mean, it's not like there was a big score to be had or anything, but he was mad as heck and nobody was going to talk him down. Sammi, bless her heart, tried her best. I think he just got more and more angry. Well, that's where the rest of us came in. A bunch of would-be superheros thrust into a crazy situation. I'm not so good when a villain has a good sob story. I mean, yeah, we need to beat 'em up, but it doesn't feel great. This guy, though? Nothing like that. Just a mad dog that needed a reminder that there were people who weren't going to let him do whatever he wanted.

Now, I've got some chops. Serious chops. And, for all his faults, sparring with Pyroclasm is pretty good practice for fighting a guy that shoots fire everywhere. That said, The Scorcher isn't a slouch at all. I wasn't making much headway against him alone. That's where I first met Sammi, actually, when I jumped in to block a giant fireball that would have roasted her and the kid she had with her. He definitely had some power to back up his delusions. But, you know, when we started working together? Showing a little teamwork? We put him down. Hard. I've been solo ever since the Alliance pulled me out of the sect, but this? This showed me that I still had a lot to learn.

Relationships:

Mine

quote:

Sammi is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.

After things calmed down at the mall, me and Sammi got to talking. I wanted to make sure that she wasn't hurt or anything, but I guess I didn't have to worry about it. She's a homunculus, apparently, and a lot tougher than she looks. Anyways, tough or not, she seemed real shook up by everything that went down. I'm a pretty good listener. She sounded really worried about getting in trouble for wrecking up the mall. Well, sure, maybe. I think I was the main offender there. You put a villain through a half-dozen walls and people start throwing shade. No gratitude.

Anyways, we talked for a long time. Eventually my stuff came up. The sect. The years I spent with them. She even believed me when I told her about the... well, the voices. The elders. It seemed like she could hear them too. It meant a lot that she believed me. She seemed to be pretty confused by a lot of aspects of modern life. I'm not exactly an expert, not anymore, but I offered to show her around.

quote:

Black Rabbit is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Like I said, I don't really hate him. He's just got the worst sense of timing. When we were fighting the Scorcher, I had the perfect opportunity to end things. The others had him knocked off balance and he was in a perfect position for me to strike. All I needed to do was puncture a few of his pressure points and he'd be out of the game. Not dead, of course, but he wouldn't be spewing fire any more. That would have made things a lot easier than they ended up.

Of course, Mr. Bleeding Heart must have figured I was going in for the kill or something. Bro. Seriously. One of us is a half-step from going through some crazy kung-fu apotheosis. The other wears a goofy rabbit mask. Can you just trust my judgement on this? He hit me with his nullification stuff and it threw me all out of whack. I couldn't follow my strike through, though I still clipped the Scorcher on the shoulder pretty good. I'm just glad I'm tough enough to take one of those fire blasts to the face. If he had done that to someone else... Well, things could have been bad.

Others

Sammi posted:

Sanguine shows you around and tells you how things work.

Heck yeah! She's a great listener and always so curious. I've been testing out some of my dishes on her and even been teaching her some of the basics. I'm still a little worried about letting her work with knives, but... Well, she's a hero too. Gotta make that leap at some point. Just... not yet. I've been showing her around some of my favorite spots in town too. I think she likes the arcade. I'm like... 90% sure. She can be a little hard to read from time to time, but I think I'm starting to figure out some of the subtler clues. Anyways, it's a lot of fun spending time with her.

X-Calibre posted:

You told Sanguine all about your doom and the danger you’re in.

You know, I wouldn't have pegged her as the type with a time limit. This curse, the Jabberwocky... Well, I have a lot of sympathy. I've got it bad with the Patriarch, sure, but she's got it worse in every way. Even if she takes this thing out for good, she's not going to make it? What the hell! I'm not about to stand for something like that. She hasn't exactly asked me to figure out a better way or anything, but I'm not going to let someone just sacrifice themselves like that. Maybe Carmine knows something. She's got all sorts of mysterious prophecies, right? What good is a martial arts tradition that spans millennia if you can't save one person?

I've got her back. I'll fight anything that comes our way. The Jabberwocky? Let me at him. If she's getting drained by the sword? Tap into me. I've got energy to spare. I'm not about to let someone on this team — one of my teammates, my friends — go without a fight. That's not my style.

Psychosoma posted:

Sanguine was hurt by my future self once; I've got to make it up to them.

Yeah. The Phantom. Or at least I guess it was her. It looked like Arcana, but it couldn't have been. She was supposed to be in meetings all day and had cancelled our usual session. I don't remember the attack much — it's kind of hard when somebody ambushes you and tries to take a metaphorical blender to your soul — but it could have gone a lot worse than it did. She didn't seem surprised by how many extra passengers I had. In fact, I think that may be what drew her out in the first place. Maybe she's worried about what will happen if the ceremony is completed...? Well, not like she was going to tell me or anything.

Psychosoma came across me shortly afterwards and was able to repair most of the damage. I think the Phantom could feel her coming and took off. No reason not to finish the job otherwise. The rest just needs a little time. If souls are anything like bodies, this will end up being good training. It'll heal up stronger than it was before. But, man, what happened to her in this timeline? What could take a sweet girl like that and make her so cold?

Influence:

quote:

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Also, with Hugzilla's approval, X-Calibre gets to join the club. Marvel as they commiserate over being hunted by wildly powerful foes!

Extra Questions

quote:

Who should be the Team Leader?

Tentative vote for X-Calibre.

quote:

What should the Team Name be?

Holding my vote for now.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 5, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Opinions (to focus my thoughts)

Black Rabbit: He took a bunch of small things? That does not seem so bad. I know it is against the law, but it does not exactly seem like the super villains! I think he feels bad more than he is bad, but it is hard to say that to him.

Psychosoma: I know what it is like to be from another place, but people shouldn't say her home isn't real! I'm sure it's as real as my home is. I know what it's like to be split in two, too! You say it isn't the same...?

Sammi: She's kind of like an other, but has so many more colors. So she is probably okey-doke. If Sanguine is always hard, she is always too soft. I know how hard it is to talk human words, but she needs to practice more!

Sanguine: He sure is hard! But you have to be able to be soft, too... I mean, there is always something harder. I don't understand these video games, they're recruiting tools for bad people? I'm not sure I can learn to fight like him at all by playing them, either. It doesn't make sense!

X-Calibre: She really seems to have this hero thing figured out! I don't know why she isn't happier about it, though. All of the others seem to have something bothering them, but she doesn't seem to have much to worry about. That color-stealing thing she does is a little scary, though.

History

When our team first came together…we didn't trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

We didn't really know one another, but when the whole mall was on fire and burning... and fell over... we had to work together to get out! I had to hold up the ceiling while Sanguine punched a way out, Sammi gave us light when we were needing it, X-Calibre had to fight mean living flames, while Psychosama was able to get outside and get help! We rescued a small human, too! But we all had to work together to do it, like being one. I am glad not to be one all the time, but it is good to know we can be one when we need it.

Relationships

You've been learning about Earth by spending time with Black Rabbit.

You have a crush on Psychosoma but you keep it under wraps.

Influence

You're cheerful, and you're thrilled to be here. Give everyone influence over you.

Team

Who should be the Team Leader?

X-Calibre seems the right-ish combination of clueful and responsible.

What should the Team Name be?

I'll put up the All-New Alliance as an idea!

Interested In...

Black Rabbit: You and Meeba pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Sammi: The behaviour of Meeba confuses you again and again.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 5, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

quote:

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

The Hive Sky-Mall has some pretty tight security, probably 'cause it's New Arcadia and way too many of the customers have freaky superpowers. There are a ton of rules about access to the control panels for all the systems, and none of it is supposed to go out of auto mode except in a serious emergency. The Scorcher was an emergency, all right, but that doesn't mean the auto went out at a smart time. There were people trapped in the elevators and stuff, most of the blast doors were stuck open... we needed to control the battlefield, and we needed to get people out safe. The Hive Sky-Mall's security rules weren't doing the job.

I grabbed a guard, and -- okay, I didn't strong-arm him, but maybe I yelled a little about the people trapped in the elevators, and I got him to unlock the control room for me. He guided me through the controls, and I 'ported around the control rooms, getting the elevators safely down and cutting off access to box Scorcher in and keep him away from his targets. In the process, I learned some real interesting things about Hive Sky-Mall security, but it had to be done, okay? There were people trapped in there with a pyromaniac who could melt stone. You can't really think that keeping business secrets is more important than getting them clear, right?

Relationships

quote:

You keep trying to impress X-Calibre with your antics.

Okay, so... look, before I say anything, I know X-Calibre is totally out of my league. I don't really think anything's gonna happen there, all right? So don't lecture me. But I guess I'd really like her to take me seriously. There's just something about her, something... intense. Serious but not a jerk about it, just -- driven. I want to be someone she can take at her level, even if never as, like, anything else, you know?

quote:

You and Meeba pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Meeba is seriously weird, but that thing she does with transforming into a spaceship? Extremely cool. I managed to talk her into flying me over the fence for the abandoned ClariTek campus. You know ClariTek, right? That supertech firm that turned out to be a front for alien brain-hackers? One of the Justice Alliance task forces cleaned the place out, but there's all kind of cool architecture around there. Major urbex score. Also insanely illegal to trespass on, but... come on!

Anyway, we spent most of the night screwing around in there. I've got some great pictures I can't share, and I found this paperweight in a box of office crap someone left behind... c'mon, dude! It's not stealing if it's abandoned. I think Meeba had fun, too, even if we can't talk to anyone about it. That was a great night.

Influence

quote:

You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Throwing this on X-Calibre, Meeba, and Sanguine.

Team Leader Vote: X-Calibre
Team Name Vote: No big ideas at this point, although All-New Alliance is pretty good.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 6, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Relationships
You told Sanguine all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
Sanguine is really strong. Physically, obviously, but he seems emotionally together as well. I don't like talking about what's going to happen to me, but I couldn't go on without telling anyone, and if - when the Jabberwocky attacks, I think he's our best hope of driving it off until I'm strong enough to kill it. And even then, I'll probably need all the help I can get. It helps to have someone know too, especially since I trust him not to spread it around. Most of the rest of the team doesn't seem that... reliable.

You’d love to kiss Psychosoma before your doom comes.
There's just something about her. She's so... pure, but at the same time, I've heard people talking about how she's connected to Phantom, and some people actually think she is going to become Phantom? That's crazy. But if it's true, or... possibly true - I don't get time travel stuff, it's all way too confusing - then she's sort of like me. A fate hanging over her head. And she's real pretty...

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.
Sanguine and Psychosoma

--

Voting for Sanguine for Team Leader, no vote for name.

--

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Did you ever go to the Hydroponic Gardens? They were really incredible, Dryad and Undine's -two of the teachers- pet project. They'd spent years building it, and they grew nearly all the food used for meals on campus there. Along with that, it was a good place to relax if I didn't have time to go to the arcade or visit my Sanctuary, just for a few minutes to be around nature, all that green and water sounds. Very peaceful. Unfortunately, in order to put out the non-living fire before it could spread any further, we had to take the water from the Gardens and use it all up. We saved a good portion of the city, and the gardens would have gone up anyway, but... it's a shame that all the plants died, and I'm not sure how long it'll take them to get it running again.

Better than the campus and city burning down though.

GodFish fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Feb 6, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Relationships and Influence added to my post.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Your IC thread is up!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I have to be honest; I don't think I have it in me to run this game anymore. It's been really stressing me out, and my anxiety problems haven't been helping things. I think I've made a mistake trying to run two threads.

I don't think I can do this anymore. I'm really sorry, guys.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sorry to hear it, but I had a great time! Thanks for running a great game!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

It's totally okay; I appreciate you GMing it, and I enjoyed myself. Take care of yourself, okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Sorry to hear! But see to yourself first and foremost, and hope you feel better in the future.

• Locked thread