Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Welcome to the world of tomorrow!

There’s no place quite like New Arcadia. Dubbed as “The City of Tomorrow,” it was built as a way to bridge humanity to the future, and thanks to the combined efforts of the Justice Alliance and the world’s governments, what was once a pipe dream has now become a reality, ushering in a new golden age of technology, and a new age of heroes!

In the midst of New Arcadia is the Hero Training Academy. Created as a response to the growing number of children being born with powers, the academy is where super-powered teens go to receive proper training for their powers, and also be provided with formal education. So basically a super-powered high school. Students who graduate from the academy are almost guaranteed a spot in the Justice Alliance. Sounds pretty sweet, doesn’t it?

It might be… until you realize you have to juggle the responsibilities of being a hero AND a student. It’s kinda hard to study for that trigonometry test you got next week when you’ve also got an intergalactic threat to deal with. Lucky for you, you’re not alone in this! Students are encouraged to group up into teams, and handle various types of field work together (with adult supervision, of course). Oh, did I forget to mention you’re also graded on how well you handle yourselves as a team? No pressure!

It might sound like a lot of stressful work, but that shouldn’t be a problem for you, right, hero?

---------

Masks is a PbTA about teenage superheroes. I’m aiming for a light-hearted game about a bunch of super-powered teens who have to deal with high-school life while also punching bad dudes in tights. I’m looking for 4-6 players, and I’ll be closing recruitment around February 4th. If you have any questions about the setting, or character creation process, you can message me in #swampthings on synirc, or send me a PM.

I’m allowing all playbooks, even the beta ones. Please post your backstory, character sheet, and answer the questions in your playbook, as well as the additional questions below. Character images and theme songs are highly encouraged!

- What made you decide to join the academy?
- Which hero sponsored your entrance into the academy? What did you do to impress them?
- Tell me about that one interesting person in your class!
- What's your favorite class? What about least favorite?
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- New Arcadia’s a pretty sweet place, isn’t it? Tell me about that one cool place you like!
- (Optional) Hey, guess what! They’re making a variant cover focusing on you! Please describe the cover to me!
- (Optional) Suggest a name for the IC thread.

Edit: Also, the Hero Training Academy is a boarding school, so most of you will be living on campus. Keep that in mind when you're writing your apps!

Completed Apps
Psychosoma, the Innocent by Yami Fenrir
Sanguine, the Bull by Tricky
Mechatronic, the Reformed by Green Bean
Sammi, the Newborn by Arashiofordo3
Cosmic Cowgirl, the Nova by Waffleman_
Lucky Ted, the Beacon by TheNabster
Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith, the Joined by Theantero
Meeba, the Outsider by Alien Rope Burn
Black Rabbit, the Delinquent by Antivehicular
Darkmatter, the Transformed by slydingdoor
Templar, the Bull by Ferrosol
Dynamic Savior: Phoenix, the Legacy by Justice Grieves
Rave, the Outsider by LifeGetsWorser
White Emperor The Runaway, the Janus by Scrree
X-Calibre, the Doomed by GodFish
Lyrebird, the Protégé by Auraboks
Jacob Lawson, the Delinquent by Takanago

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I forgot to specify this in the OP, but the Hero Training Academy is a boarding school for super powered teens, so most of you will be living on campus. Sorry for not mentioning it sooner. :ohdear:

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Round 1 Questions

Psychosoma

- Tell me more about the spirit world. What is it like? What do you see when you peer into it

- Adjusting to a new time period has got to be pretty rough! What was the toughest thing you had to adjust to?

- Something happened in the academy that the Phantom had a hand in somehow. What was the event?

Sanguine

- You're saying your predecessors whisper to you? Spooky. What are they saying?

- You just received a mysterious message. What was it? What does it say? Is it anything you should be concerned about?

- Boy, things sure got wild during cooking class, huh? People are still talking about it to this day. What happened?

Mechatronic

- Something you made during your villain days has come back to bite you. What was it? How did you handle the situation?

- Has there ever been a moment were you almost relapsed into your old ways? Or have you been successful at fighting those urges?

- Somebody declared themselves to be your rival in SCIENCE! whether you like it or not, and they've been constantly trying to one-up you. Who are they? What are you going to do about them?

Sammi

- I hope you don't mind me bringing this up, but I think we should talk about Matthew for a moment. How do you feel about him? Has he caused you any recent trouble?

- It's clear that Headmistress Amala has taken a shine to you, but how do the rest of the staff feel? Are there any that object your existence? Or are they generally okay with you?

- Oh no! You got separated from Headmistress Amala during one of your walks together! You found your way back to her eventually, but it must've been really scary for you. How did you handle the whole ordeal?

Lucky Ted

- Tango isn't the only who disproves of you joining the academy. There's another jerk who doesn't think you belong there, either, and they make sure to tell you that every chance they get. Who are they?

- Being the only normal guy in a school filled with people with fantastical powers must be pretty tough. Has there ever been a time when you doubted yourself? What keeps you motivated, even when things look impossible for you?

- Something went wrong during your last Field Work lessons, but you managed to save the day! ...Kinda. It could have gone a lot better, all things considered, but at least nobody was seriously injured. What happened?

Clatterclaw & Miss Wraith

- Hey, have we met before? Eh, it's probably my imagination. Anyways, tell me more about the theater you hang out in. Have you ever been involved in any plays?

- You just found out you weren't the first revival experiment conducted by Ivan and Giovanni. There was one before you. What was it, and how did you find this out?

- You work... in the campus grocery? Oh, oh you poor girl(s?). There's a reason why nobody wants to work there. Probably has something to do with stock-piling food from other dimensions/planets. How have you managed to handle yourself (yourselves?) there for so long?

Meeba

- Hold on. You said, "Others are always trying to eat our space back home?" Who are these Others? Are they something we should be concerned about?

- You like experiencing and learning new things, huh? Out of all the things you've experienced so far, which was your favorite? What makes it special to you?

- You recently ran into another being like you! Unfortunately, they did not share the same interest in learning as you do. Why were they a problem, and how did you handle your encounter with them?

Black Rabbit

- How did your mother react when you told her about your enrollment into the academy? Do you have any other family members, or is she the only one?

- The academy might be a prestigious school for super-powered individuals, but even it can't escape the bully problem. Who was the biggest jerk you've met, and what did you do to put them in their place?

- Something felt a little... off the last time you visited the Quicksilver Line. What was different, and why is it bothering you so much?

Darkmatter

- Why do you think Alexandria sponsored you? Has she ever given you a reason?

- Tell me a little more about Dr. Vega. What does he do? What kind of powers does he have? What kind of person is he?

- Not everyone in the academy thinks your dangerous. There's someone who's been treating you with genuine kindness. Who are they, and why do you think they're being so nice to you?

Templar

- Most have forgiven you, but there is one who still holds a grudge against you. Who are they? Why do they refuse to give you a chance?

- What made you turn to religion? Was there someone who guided you that way, or did you come to it on your own?

- During one of your people watching sessions, you were approached by a mysterious individual. What did they talk to you about?

Dynamic Savior

- Tell me a little more about the people involved in your legacy. Who's been the most supportive? Who's been giving you the toughest time?

- Be honest with me; is this something you actually want to do, or are you only doing this out of obligation for your family? It must put a lot of pressure on you. If you had the chance, would you switch to a different career path?

- An old foe has returned! Everyone thought the Dynamorphers put them down for good, but now they're back, and they are making their presence known in the city. Who are they, and what makes them so dangerous?

Rave (I felt bad about concentrating on only one aspect of Rave's character, so I've decided to revise her questions.)

- What attracted you to raves in the first place? Also, you said you've been involved in the rave scene for 6+ months now? How have you not gotten tired of it by now?

- You've met some interesting people in those raves you go to. Out of all them, who was the most interesting person you've met? What makes them stand out from the rest?

- Someone really doesn't approve of your lifestyle (not like you need their approval, anyways). Who are they, and why do they care so much about how you spend your time?

- Being the daughter of two diplomats mustn't be easy. What was your relationship like with your parents? Do you miss them, or do you prefer being away from them?

- So, what is it about super-heroics that attracted you to it in the first place?

- You've managed to attract some attention with your distress signal, but it was the wrong type of attention. Who was it that picked up on your signal?

White Emperor
The Runaway

- How did your father react to your sudden disappearance? There's no way he would be quiet about it.

- Forged with... a drop of her blood? That's, uh, nice. So, does the sword have any kind of special powers/abilities? Have you had much trouble using it?

- Your secret was almost exposed! What happened, and how did you manage to narrowly avoid being exposed?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Feb 1, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Round 1 Questions Cont.

Cosmic Cowgirl

- So, um, can you ever turn the light show off, or is it a permanent thing? Doesn't it get really inconvenient sometimes?

- Has there ever been a point were you lost control of your powers?

- You and Sweet Dandy were once forced to team up together, whether you both liked it or not. How did that go?

X-Calibre

- Wow, that's rough. Nobody should ever have to deal with a fate like that. What's the one thing you want to do before your time is up? What would let you pass on with no regrets?

- The sword talks to you? What does it usually talk to you about? Also, what is it about showing mercy that offends it? Is it one of those "all evil must be punished" sort of things?

- What's the most interesting artifact you've found in your sanctuary? What makes it stick out above the rest? Is there a special significance to it?

Lyrebird

- Do you still keep in contact with Fowleri? How does he feel about you joining the academy?

- When did you first discover your powers? How long did it take for you to adjust to them?

- The whole stunt you pulled at the hospital has garnered some unwanted (or wanted) media attention. How have you been dealing with all the attention you've suddenly been getting? How has it been causing trouble for the academy?

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 25, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Round 1 Questions Part 3!

Jacob Lawson

- "Don't at me?" Is that what the kids are saying nowadays? Anyways, you should know Athena worked pretty hard to get you accepted into the academy. She's not the type of person who would put that much effort into someone unless she believes they're truly worth it. What do you think she sees in you that most people don't?

- For someone who likes to "stick it to the man," you sure do hate villainy a whole bunch. Is there a reason behind your strong dislike for evil?

- You've recently met a particularly nasty piece of work in Rat Street. Who are they, and how were they a problem? How did you deal with them?

- (Bonus question) is anime real y/n

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

!!!3 MORE DAYS TILL THE DEADLINE!!!

If there's no new apps by Thursday, then I'll be closing recruits early, and to those who haven't answered their questions yet, please make sure you do before Saturday! If you need an extension, please let me know!

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Before anybody asks, no, there won't be any additional questions. Rave is an exception since I felt bad asking questions about only one aspect of her character, so I asked LifeGetsWorser if they were okay with me revising her questions. The rest of you are free from question hell. :v:

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

:siren:PICKS ARE IN!!:siren:

Thank you all for your interest, and I'm sorry for subjecting you all to SO MANY QUESTIONS. Due to the high number of wonderful apps, I've decided to make two games (God help me). I almost briefly considered to make it two teams of 7 to squeeze in more apps, but even I'm not that that crazy. Congratulations to all those who got in, and commiserations to those that didn't. All of you have done a fantastic job, and I wish I can take more, but even I have my limits. You've all made me super excited to run this game, and I hope I can provide a fun experience for all of you!

With all that in mind, please say hello to:

Class 1-A!

Psychosoma, the Innocent by Yami Fenrir
Sanguine, the Bull by Tricky
Sammi, the Newborn by Arashiofordo3
Meeba, the Outsider by Alien Rope Burn
Black Rabbit, the Delinquent by Antivehicular
X-Calibre, the Doomed by GodFish

Class 2-B!

Lucky Ted, the Beacon by TheNabster
Dynamic Savior: Phoenix, the Legacy by Justice Grieves
Rave, the Outsider by LifeGetsWorser
White Emperor Runaway, the Janus by Scrree
Lyrebird, the Protégé by Auraboks
Jacob Lawson, the Delinquent by Takanago

Class 1-A, this will be your OOC thread. Please establish your influences, relationships, and what happened when you first got together as a team. You'll also need to come up with a team name, and designate a team leader!

Class 2-B, your thread is :siren:here!:siren:

Once again, thank you all, and I'm sorry for those who didn't get picked. If you have anymore questions, please PM me, or hit me up on the synIRC chat #swampthings.

Now get going, heroes! Those bad guys won't punch themselves!

Influence Sheet!

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 6, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Your IC thread is up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I have to be honest; I don't think I have it in me to run this game anymore. It's been really stressing me out, and my anxiety problems haven't been helping things. I think I've made a mistake trying to run two threads.

I don't think I can do this anymore. I'm really sorry, guys.

• Locked thread