Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Eh'mdee-ehm-ma'y, aka "Marie Daisy Mitchell-Adams"
The Outsider

Greetings and salutations, I am called Eh'mdee-ehm-ma'y, but since your human tongues cannot pronounce it correctly, please default to Marie. I am, if I am to understand the parlance correctly, new to this school and city. Also, planet, though I would hardly consider this "Terra" of yours a proper planet.

I come from a place far more vibrant and interesting! Corsa 15, the jewel in the glittering diamond crown of the Corsa protectorate. Certainly, Corsa 1 is technically the capital reality, but it hasn't been the HUB of the Corsa protectorate for about 22 picta-eons. Corsa 15 is the most happening place in the Vargolis Cluster, which is situated about 10 dimensions to the left of this one, and about 30 centuries in the future, given a third dimensional perspective. It's disheartening that in this reality that is what sentient life is limited to! Still, I suppose I shall manage while I am here.

Why am I here? Why, I am stranded, of course. There was a slight miscalculation in the Slip-String-matrix of my vessel, the Bilröst XLV (currently, I have disguised it as one of your automobiles, as apparently most forms of locomotion on this plane do not involve three dimensional movement but rather are restricted to these "road" constructs), which unfortunately threw me off course. I was on my way to the Bisumarcal Galaxy for what promised to be a truly stupendous party, but I suppose a trans-cosmic wind must have knocked me off course, and I ended up here. Why else would I have come to such a limited dimension as this?

...I may not have had my parental units' permission to borrow the Bilröst, of course. And I am sure that they will chastise me once they have found me, but for now all I can do is keep the distress signal running and hope that the course correction program is able to calculate my return vector before they notice. It may take them a few eons, local time.

Still, there is something to be said for this city, this New Arcadia - these meta-human entities are quite interesting, are they not? Some of the young ones show a great deal of promise. Which is why I am glad I am here, even if the "education" system here leaves quite a lot to be desired. But for such a limited species I suppose it cannot be helped. You only really truly seem to start to understand things through your arts - it seems that your "musicians" and "poets" and "artists" are more tuned in to the hum of the cosmos than most of your species, so perhaps there is hope for you, yet.

As I said though, while I am here, I will do my best to "fit in", as it is described (erroneously, I might add - the shape I was given when I crossed into this dimension does not seem to have an appropriately shaped socket anywhere!). I am interested in these "super-heroics" as described and I believe I may be able to help some of your society along in the meantime. As I believe I have aptly put, I have an abundance of time!

quote:

Look:
woman
human body
glowing eyes
flashy clothing
no costume

Abilities:
You can fly, and you’re pretty tough. Choose any two of the following:
heliokinesis, telepathy and mind blasts

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Outsider Moves
Alien ways: Whenever you openly disregard or undermine an important Earth custom in favor of one of your own people’s customs, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths Chameleon Plating, Dimension Shifting
Weaknesses Suceptible to _____, Unarmed

Not so different after all: When you talk about your home, roll + Freak. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition

On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now.

Conditions:

quote:

Backstory
• Where do you come from?
As stated, Corsa 15, a dimension of diamonds, colors and sounds that human tongues cannot describe, bliss, and contemplation of the various truths of the multiverses which are constantly intersecting each other. Corsa 15 is ruled by the Omnimarch, which is an expression of true sentience that even a Corsan such as myself cannot fully comprehend. We are not limited to a single physical existence - and neither are humans really but I suppose you'd find that disconcerting. Instead, depending on what dimension we inhabit we take on a facsimile of the local dominant fauna.

It is boring, which is why I spend much of my free time going to various trans-dimensional parties at various waypoint galaxies.

• Why did you come to Earth?
A trans-dimensional wind knocked my transport off course and confused it's sensors, leaving me stranded on this three-dimensional spheroid designated as Terra.

• Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?
I am hoping that by solving the issues with the Bilröst's navigational systems I shall avoid chastisement upon returning to Corsan-ruled realities. While I am here, I am finding the local lifeforms interesting, if quaint and frustratingly limited, entities.

• Why do your people want you to come home?
...I do not know what you mean.
Fine. My parental units are known as something of important trans-dimensional diplomats, working to expand Corsan understanding and bring others into the fold of Corsan levels of sentience. I suppose my desire to simply enjoy multidimensional existence proves to be something of a scandal for them. It is likely that once they discover I am gone and have borrowed the Bilröst, they will expect my return to be prompt so that I can be chastised and return to acting like a proper offspring for them. I would prefer to have this matter wrapped up before they notice.

• Why do you care about the team?
For a limited species, there is a great variety of expression and individuality in the local lifeforms that constitute my classmates. They are worth being protected and in some cases, worth the trouble of enhancing their understanding of the nature of multi-dimensional existence. I would also truly like it if at least one of them began to comprehend my bio-luminescence.

When Our Team First Came Together
We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: haughty

If you’re haughty, you think you’re better than them. Give no one Influence.

Tardzilla posted:

- What made you decide to join the academy?
I spent what I believe translates to six months at various social gatherings called "raves" when I arrived here - limited if entertaining in their own right - and then came to New Arcadia. When I reviewed the trans-human nature of many of the occupants of the city, I deduced that this academy would be a useful place for someone of my obvious skill and talent. Perhaps I could teach the students and faculty and staff a thing or two. However, it seems that the synchronization of my form to this dimension has classified me as what is referred to as a "teenager" (which is absurd given the number of micro-millenia that I have lived!) which meant that I had no choice but to enroll as a student, myself!

Tardzilla posted:

- Which hero sponsored your entrance into the academy? What did you do to impress them?

For a limited lifeform, the woman known as Hecate seems to have a greater inkling into the inner workings of cross-dimensional purpose. She calls this understanding "Sorcery", which goes to show a third-dimensional perspective is quite limiting! However, she recognized my obviously superior skill and understanding when I helped her against a similarly proficient man known as the Hierophant, who apparently has cause to be considered a "super-villain", in local parlance - and specifically a super-villain who frequently crosses Hecate's path. He was attempting to open a portal to one of the innumerable dimensions of negative thought, some manner of nightmare realm that one of your local religions considers "Hell". While the Bilröst is currently incapable of getting me home, various fail-safes alerted me to a trans-dimensional portal being opened, which lead me to their argument (an argument that consisted of what they considered "spellcasting" at each other). I used my standard array of bio luminescent-psionically driven defense mechanisms to assist Hecate in her attempts to close the forming rift and pacify the Hierophant - negative spaces such as that "Hell" are quite undesirable, in my mind after all - and she rewarded me by sponsoring me for the academy. How nice of her.

Tardzilla posted:

- Tell me about that one interesting person in your class!
These fellow student lifeforms are quite immature - something that it appears I am also considered, which I imagine has to due with the staff's inability to comprehend my obviously greater understanding of their lesson plans and the resulting arguments that keep seeming to crop up. Still, one cannot argue with results - as I tend to get top marks in all my classes except for the "government" and "social studies" classes, as the local social constructs are hilariously outdated.

I have brokered an arrangement with a local teenaged creature known as Paul, who appears to have no greater-than-average abilities aside for a propensity for tinkering with various devices. He...as that is apparently his preferred pronoun, (which, as I have learned, is something that seems to cause the local lifeforms no small degree of distress upon being misidentified - how strange!) assists me with my infractions in these "civics" courses, and in return I translate various owners' manuals and the like for the Bilröst - which he appears to have a keen interest in. This is something that has worked to our mutual benefit, as my marks in the various civics courses have increased, and his devices are becoming increasingly more enlightened the more that I give him - I am careful to moderate this, of course, as limited human understanding of Corsan technology could have potentially disastrous results.

Tardzilla posted:

- What's your favorite class? What about least favorite?
As I have previously indicated, the various arts classes and especially the musical electives are the closest to intelligent courses that this academy provides. Human expression of these matters nearly transcends three-dimensionality in some cases, though in many it is woefully inefficient. In my spare time I am working on composing revelatory new forms of musical expression for human use, but I fear your ears are not prepared for them!

The local course for "astro-physics" is the worst class that this academy provides because of how very wrong it is. There is no amount of dumbing myself down that I can accomplish that will give me what the lecturer assumes is the "correct" answer - which by the way is invariably less than an infant Corsan's understanding of things. I have, resultingly, simply relegated myself to stealing the memories of the sought-after answers from the lecturer's mind for tests and retreating into internal 10th dimensional space during the lectures and class projects. Though this has resulted in my being accused of "sleeping" during multiple classes - which is yet another example of incredibly incorrect human perceptions!

Tardzilla posted:

- What do you like to do in your free time?
I participate in local "rave" culture, which is where I took my affirmed "codename" as is the local parlance. Many of the reality altering compounds that the humans ingest have no useful function upon me, but occasionally I will use my superior psionic ability to ensure that those who are affected by them have a "good trip".

I may also use my abilities to experience a simulacrum of a good trip that one of the other rave-goers is also having, or allow all the party-goers to experience the same good trip in an experiment in social bonding. Sometimes I will practice macro-expressions of my bio luminescence. You have probably noticed the glowing of my skin - this is used to express changes in mood as well as current physical status, mental status, social status, and a billion other different concepts that you do not have terms for - however most of this is lost upon humans - your ability to process color is also woefully inadequate, as it turns out - and the spectrum I display is frequently lost on human eyes. Still, in the absence of other entities that can experience a true spectrum of emotions, one must adapt.

On occasion, I will change the local visible light spectrum - enhance the colors of daylight, lighten up the night around me, things of that nature. For fun. The sky is a large canvas upon which I can paint, as it turns out.

Tardzilla posted:

- New Arcadia’s a pretty sweet place, isn’t it? Tell me about that one cool place you like!
As far as the local notion of civilization goes, New Arcadia is...not bad. There are a fair number of things to "get up to", as it is said. However, given the restraints of my current bio-form's apparent age, some of these things are barred to me. As such, I have had to find interest in places and activities that should be beneath me. Aside from going to raves, which are not a fixed event and thus do not take place in a singular place, I have found the local "Arcade", to be somewhat amusing.

It is called Gamer's Corner - which as I have learned is an entirely unimaginative name for a place. However, many of the "Cabinets" inside are quite interesting, if crippled by the slow pace of entertainment technology on this plane of existence. I am particularly fond of the "Pong" device - though many think it limited, it is only because humans are incapable of seeing the full game. I cannot use human language to describe it to you, unfortunately.

Tardzilla posted:

- (Optional) Hey, guess what! They’re making a variant cover focusing on you! Please describe the cover to me!

It's a limited edition holo-foil cover! Rave is, well, at a rave. She's in the center, clearly enjoying herself, dancing, eyes closed. The purpleish aura cascading from her is reflected in the eyes of the people around her, who are clearly all sharing the same "good trip".

Tardzilla posted:

- (Optional) Suggest a name for the IC thread.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tardzilla posted:

Round 1 Questions

Rave
- What attracted you to raves in the first place? Also, you said you've been involved in the rave scene for 6+ months now? How have you not gotten tired of it by now?

As I believe I have stated, music is likely the closest that the human species comes to breaking away from a third-dimensional limitation - discounting your "magic" and occasional flashes of technological insight, of course. Certain forms of music are closer to this...I believe the word is "transcendence", than are others. Of this the sort of music that is played at certain Rave events breaks with the standard musical structure and as such is ever closer to this transcendence. It may be that the consumption of supposedly illicit substances may assist with this, though as I have stated these compounds have no effect upon me so my hypothesis when it comes to that can only be observed and not experimented with.

There is another reason that these events are not events that I tire of. I have spoken of my bio-luminescence. This is both a defense mechanism for Corans as well as a side-effect. The term that Terran creatures use is "photosynthesis". The absorption of ambient light structures for sustenance. Many Corans, my parental units included, believe that naturally occurring light compounds are more nutritious - and perhaps they are. As for me, though, I find that certain artificial light structures are...tastier. Raves provide something of a feast for me, in this respect. In effect - Raves are energy, in a stuttering start and stop sort of way, and given that your orb seems to exist in a perpetual sort of day/night cycle - during the evening hours it becomes more necessary to consume the rhythmic bursts of artificial fluorescence that are provided at these events. Or else I would starve. I could, I suppose, buy a "heat lamp" or something of that sort, but that would be the difference between a banquet and a package of crackers, to put it in terms you may understand. While I cannot continually attend raves, I never tire of the activity - it is much like eating out.

quote:

- You've met some interesting people in those raves you go to. Out of all them, who was the most interesting person you've met? What makes them stand out from the rest?

This lifeform goes by the name of Elise. Though she does not seem to possess of meta-human abilities, she nevertheless has a "code name" that she ascribes to herself and that others use to refer to her as Garten E-den. I am told that this is because she is an individual who makes the music or at least "spins" it using the outdated data storage recording devices known as "vinyls". The mixtures she makes are quite interesting. Very nearly transcendent, as far as a limited life form goes. The local "scene" as it is called seems to agree with my assessment, which is why she tends to be "spinning" at most of the local events. I have asked her to increase the light quotient during her sets and she has obliged me, though she made me make some promise to "hang" at some point soon. I believe she was interested in the way my skin was glowing, which is understandable, given the limits of her own form. I am not certain what this hanging is supposed to entail, something about a "net flicks", which I believe has to do with the mundane entertainment box that humans waste their time with. We shall see, though.

quote:

- Someone really doesn't approve of your lifestyle (not like you need their approval, anyways). Who are they, and why do they care so much about how you spend your time?

There is a...councilor at this Academy. After confirming that my perception of the definition of the word for it was correct, I proceeded to explain where I was "going at night", to use his words. He seemed upset, and proceeded to lecture me on that, as a young woman I needed to concentrate on my studies and on developing my abilities. I have...neglected to inform him as to the reason for my visit, as I believe that explaining that I have broken my parental unit's vehicle in an attempt to party may result in further lectures, which are something I care to avoid, especially since he is erroneous in calling me young lady - I have explained that crossing through dimensions is something that may result in appearances being debatable, but his argument is that since I act like a teenager it must be fitting. This is despite the fact that, to use the human counting of time, I am many, many centuries older than he is.

His code-name is "The Marshall", which to my understanding indicates he too is a meta-human entity. I am uncertain of his capacity for meta-human activity - as he appears to be "retired", which is a strange term as I understand the prefix re indicates "once more", which would mean he is tired again. If he rested would he be able to resume his meta-human activity? Perhaps he should, so that he can stop "watching out for" me, as he puts it. Nevertheless, despite my insistence that the continued activities at night are in fact a necessity for my continued existence, I have had to at multiple times "sneak out" of the dormitory to avoid someone reporting back to him. As per his understanding I just need lights, so he has ensured that there are bland florescent lights active at all times outside of my personal quarters and especially in the "kitchenette" that the dormitory holds - I imagine he thinks that it will assist me in socializing but, as I explained previously...box of crackers.

LifeGetsWorser fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 23, 2017

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tardzilla posted:

Round 1 Questions

Rave

- Being the daughter of two diplomats mustn't be easy. What was your relationship like with your parents? Do you miss them, or do you prefer being away from them?

Oh...you have additional inquiries? About my parental units - well, diplomacy takes many forms across an infinitely expanding and multidimensional reality. But I suppose if one is to ascribe a difficulty to my rearing, it would best be considered "trying". They could only afford to truly pay attention to me for four-century periods, discounting my infancy of course - so I was something of a...what is the term for it...a "latch key kid".

What does that mean? Are the children inanimate objects in those cases?

...regardless. This sort of rearing required that I of course take the time to attend to my own affairs - learn the variable ways of reality as all Corans do through tutors and notes and experimentation and things of this nature. I suppose it is not a terribly uncommon childhood - if still infinitely more full than what adolescents are capable of in three-dimensional realities such as this one.

I have very little cause to miss my parental units. To my perspective I have been gone for the equivalent of perhaps 12 hours. Roughly. I suppose I would have to do the math...

...having done the math I overestimated it slightly. 10.777 repeating hours is the equivalent. I suppose the over-exaggeration would indicate some degree of longing for Coran space, and yes, perhaps even my parental units. Or perhaps my perceptions are simply flawed as a result of existing in three dimensional form for a comparably lengthy amount of time. Still, I am used to raising myself, certainly, and I believe my preference is for independence as opposed to interdependence.

quote:

- So, what is it about super-heroics that attracted you to it in the first place?

Aside from music and artistry, super-heroics is obviously the greatest chance the Terran species has of escaping the banality of its limitations. The seemingly random micro-evolutions that cause parahuman ability brings your planet, despite it's pre-multidimensional reality - close to something resembling Coran space - which is still infinitely more cosmopolitan and complex, of course. But it is something. It is...tolerable, to engage in these super-heroics, as you put them, because I would be engaging in such activities in this reality one way or another. The fact that there are more people who can engage in them with me and perhaps perceive a fraction of true understanding is enough to stave off the madness that comes with utter boredom. Somewhat, at least.

quote:

- You've managed to attract some attention with your distress signal, but it was the wrong type of attention. Who was it that picked up on your signal?

To say that I was distressed that a Revian had picked up on my distress signal would be an understatement. To say that I was diquieted that the Revian who had picked up my signal was Orvan the Crusher is The understatement of the picta-millenium.

Orvan is a murderer, he is wanted across Coran space for his continual and ceaseless criminal activities. Revians are multi-dimensional entities, like Corans, but, as you can see, their dimensional synchronization is less refined than ours. They always come across as the local equivalent of massive, angry monsters. They exist on the fringes of Coran space, conquered by the Omnimarch some 27 thousand eons previous to this current eon - but they have never stopped being displeased with this, despite all efforts to ingratiate them into Coran society. Constant flare ups of violence and bloodshed mar the south-western quadrant of the Vargolis Cluster as peacekeeping forces must maintain a constant vigilance.

They also hold particularly raucous parties - so I may have been heading that way when I caught the wrong side of the trans-dimensional wind.

Orvan is the worst of the Revians. He's a violent revolutionary, with outstanding warrants for multi-galactic piracy, assassination, terrorism, and sedition. While he has not discovered me I saw him - once - flying across the city. I do not know if he has realized just who it is who has sent the signal, or from where, but he has certainly homed in on it.

If he discovers me doubtless things will go very bad for this ball of dirt, very quickly.

• Locked thread