Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

A song

quote:

The Transformed
HERO NAME: Darkmatter
REAL NAME (IF DIFFERENT): Margarita "Rita" Lowe

Look: woman, Indigenous, upsetting eyes, untouchable flesh, no costume,

Abilities: You appear obviously and clearly monstrous, and your powers are tied to your appearance
superhuman senses–So, Sherlock has his mind palace, right? And some screwups write test answers on their hands, or tattoo "Mom" on their skin... Well, my body is a microcosm of the universe, like a little map that's constantly updating in lockstep with the outer universe. From what other people can see with their naked eyes, there's a lot of galaxies twinkling. They're hot to the touch because of all the radiation... Anyway, I can "look" into my microcosm–usually wherever my body is in the outer one–but I can focus elsewhere if I know what I'm "looking" for. I call it "navelgazing." Like, imagine if you could see yourself from a bird's eye view and had to watch yourself doing what you wanted to do. Or try drawing on a cheap tablet where you have to look at the screen but move your stylus on another, blank sensor... It's confusing, sorry–just consider it clairvoyance, audience, whateveryance. I'm working on developing different ways of sensing wherever I'm navelgazing, and zooming out, following trails, all that stuff. I don't use it to cheat on tests, promise.

transmuting flesh–I can project little pieces of the universe out of my skin for a while. Turn into stuff, like how in the cartoons when you draw a door on a wall, open the door and run through it, then the other guy just slams into the wall. If it's in the universe, I can replicate it, if I know what I'm "looking" for and how to "draw" it. In the art way and the well-water way. It doesn't last very long, and always looks all Hubble-telescope-like... otherwise I'd choose to look normal all the time.

Backstory
• Who were you before?
Rita Lowe, foster child of parents who were told they'd be disowned if I was brought back home because born out of wedlock, which is a big taboo. I wanted to be an artist and dancer and musician. A triple threat! And an actor.

• When did you change? What caused it?
A year ago I was a random hostage who got too close to the mad scientist/space wizard Atomo's attempt to make a new universe, blow up or screw up this one, then shrink himself into the new one. Well, he did the second part, so I'm not a perfect replica–I have a little Atomadito running around somewhere.

• Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?
Doctor Vega, PhD in everything. He made me a suit that shields people from the worst parts of my radioactivity. Just makes me hot to the touch.

• Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?
I have nowhere else to go, and I need someone who can maintain the suit until... I don't know, I learn the magic that'd let me replicate the suit, which comes from another plane of existence. So far, I can only sense those while a portal's open, and can't form anything that... "alien."

• Why do you care about the team?
I have to care, and twice as much as anyone else, or I'll be alone again. I'd have to start from scratch–the building that understanding, allaying the fears, getting them to treat me somewhat normally. It's kind of a miracle I have a willing team, if you ask me. As for the rest of them, most people aren't sure I shouldn't just be locked up or "disarmed" like a bomb. They're all "inside" of me after all, and some people are afraid that if I get messed up, there might be repercussions in the outer universe. Mostly near me. There's been no evidence of that, though! They're probably more nervous about not being able to keep secrets... Dr Vega implied that I might be able to navelgaze so acutely I could sense the inside of a mind, memories and all. Then replicate it. All in all, it's just a bit more than the untouchable flesh unsettling people.

When our team first came together...
We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to
one teammate.

Abilities
+3 Freak, +2 Danger, 0 Savior, -1 Superior, -1 Mundane

Transformed Moves
I am not my body: When you take a powerful
physical blow, you may roll as if you had two
fewer conditions marked. If you do, on a 10+
you must choose to lose control of yourself in a
terrible way.

Unstoppable: When you smash your way
through scenery to get to or away from
something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world
breaks before you, and you get what you want.
On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave
something behind, or take something with
you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave
devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere
worse, GM’s choice.

Be the monster: When you frighten, intimidate,
or cow others with your monstrous form, roll +
Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make
themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a
10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you frighten others you had not intended to
scare
- you hurt someone or break something you
shouldn’t have
- you feel like more of a monster afterward;
mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred,
and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you...

• How did you first meet your mentor?
Dr. Vega was there when I was changed, part of the team that was fighting Atomos to save the universe. He broke ranks with his team's leader Alexandria, the alien librarian who can create books or scrolls or datapads or cards or whatnot that can do anything she can think of. All she has to do is read them. She told him to protect this universe instead of the creation of the microcosm, but he tried to save me instead, figuring that Atomos was too narcissistic to destroy the universe out of spite before having his escape route. He saved me–If it wasn't for him, I don't think I'd still be a person... I'd just be a collection of things. Like Alexandria's library.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?
He treated me like a daughter more than any other parents I knew, and otherwise doesn't seem to have any agenda. If I stay close to him, I have a village to raise me, a family. Alexandria is the ex-wife, his friends are aunts and uncles, the other heroes my age are, I dunno, cousins. Except they're all a little more related to me. Powers run thicker than blood, I guess. [Her blood relatives never acknowledged her existence, and her foster family alienated her so much she had a history of depression.]

• Why did they agree to train you?
He just... offered. I don't know why? If I had to say, I'd go for guilt that he couldn't completely save me. Or pride in me for staying "alive," because he often tells me when I can't handle something that the next worse person would have to deal with it otherwise. He can be kind of inscrutable since he's from another plane.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
I'd say just about every hero has probably been briefed about me and is ready to slam the red button and make me disappear if I cause a black hole or something. [She hasn't read the briefings, they warn against her going Antimatter, leaking into the outer universe and spreading across it unmaking everything in her wake, possibly as part of Atomo's plan. She also didn't know before figuring out her name, Darkmatter, that the briefings already referred to her as potentially Antimatter.]

• Why do you care about the team?
[above]

• What made you decide to join the academy?
I wanted to put myself out there without Dr. Vega for once, not just navelgaze and daydream about it. As... therapy?

• Which hero sponsored your entrance into the academy? What did you do to impress them?
Alexandria. Again, don't ask me why. I guess one time she came over to Dr. Vega's extraplanar realm to fight with him about something, and I turned into a book and hid on a shelf because I thought she hated me. But she looked straight at me, made a copy of me with her powers, then read me, even though I turned into a blank book as far as I know. Later that week the recommendation came through, in an extraplanar envelope because you're not supposed to be able to read recommendations. It was kind of a callout I think, to use it or don't. Can you reach out and take this opportunity, type thing. I was already working on the app, I don't know if she knew.

• Tell me about that one interesting person in your class!
Papyrus, Alexandria's protege. He looks like a really cool mummy, with colored ribbon bandages with runes on them that he can uncoil and control like prehensile, I dunno, hair? When it's windy he looks like a paper comet, and when you hit him, confetti flies off. He's kind of like me, with secrets painted and drawn all over him. Except he pulls the knowledge out like a roll of tape–but cool, and anyone can read it. He also can look normal when he wants to and just "flame on" when he wants to go hero-mode. All the cool people can just activate their costumes. Trust me, when you can navelgaze and see people pulling on their spandex then stepping into their outer-underwear it stops becoming cool and just becomes embarrassing. Especially when guys have to put on makeup so their eyelids are black inside their helmet. Just turning your hat backwards or pulling up turtleneck over your nose budget-ninja style is cooler than that, at least the minimal look shows some confidence, some self-respect! Visors are dumb too, and goggles unless they aren't actually worn over the eyes.... I have a lot of opinions about this, okay?

• What do you like to do in your free time?
Get high and dance, or make art, or look at art or nature, or alien stuff. I smoked my own hair once, after turning it into bud. When I went to school though, I got a prescription for anxiety because I really don't want to get in trouble.

• New Arcadia’s a pretty sweet place, isn’t it? Tell me about that one cool place you like!
Everywhere it's really dark and no one can see me. I hide in the Imax theater a lot. Navelgazing there isn't really the same... it's like it makes the screen smaller, and sometimes I need to take a break and miss parts and have to navelgaze another theater to pick up where I left off.

• (Optional) Hey, guess what! They’re making a variant cover focusing on you! Please describe the cover to me!
It's me looking up at the sky, silhouetted against the "best of" the Hubble space telescope so it looks sort of like I'm camouflaged except for my clothes and makeup. It's one of those shots where the camera is inside the floor looking upward at the subject, so I look like a giant. My eyes are averted so I look purposeful and/or kind of wistful.

• (Optional) Suggest a name for the IC thread.
The X-Fast club: Modern Maskers

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Tardzilla posted:

- Why do you think Alexandria sponsored you? Has she ever given you a reason?

- Tell me a little more about Dr. Vega. What does he do? What kind of powers does he have? What kind of person is he?

- Not everyone in the academy thinks your dangerous. There's someone who's been treating you with genuine kindness. Who are they, and why do you think they're being so nice to you?
Dr. Vega is just a really really smart guy with a PhD in everything. So he knows how to be a sorcerer and an super scientist, and can combine engineering and stuff with technomancy to create gadgets and spells that are new and more than the sum of their parts. He's a one-man team, instead of three guys working together he can just line everything up himself. No need for the people in the love triangle to have to pull off a maneuver they could never get right in practice. They also give him a layer of redundancy so he's never quite out of powers, especially if he knows what he's about to face. He can even, like, handicap one kind of power–like, he can set off an EMP and mess up everyone's electronics–and then beat the crap out of them with his magic, or the other way around with an antimagic field. Anyway, add super smarts to Alexandria's library and they start a knowledge snowball, where he pushes fields forward and tells her what questions to ask her library to further their research. The only limit to what they can do is time, and willpower... but the way I see it, Dr. Vega is the engine. Alexandria is just the grease.

She definitely wants me out of Dr. Vega's hair. I've heard her warning him of "distracting himself again with another broken toy" when who knows what kind of threat they need to prepare for next. She certainly never told me any reasons she's sponsoring me to my face, she doesn't like talking to me. Afraid she might get attached, maybe? Like when one parent says "no pets" then they see the cute kitty with the big eyes and get won over, then they can't convince him to stop training me anymore. It might be a possibility, Vega teases her that she's becoming more human all the time... I don't think she likes it. Maybe she likes the teasing, but not becoming more "mercurial." It's always SAT words with her.

Anyway she wants him all to herself, at least just to become more powerful, and is afraid he doesn't need her like she needs him. I'm shipping it.

(She opens her hand and typeset letters raise from her palm. She stamps her palm on a piece of paper and it reads "SHIPPED.")

If I had it my way, I'd smoke them all out. She could summon a book for rolling papers and everyone could talk about their feelings, then I could go to my room and listen to music while they make out.

Genuine kindness I only get from heroes who don't think I'm dangerous at all. Like, I'm underpowered and unfocused and will never amount to anything more than a dispatcher, telling people where to go and what's going on and stuff. The one I've got in mind is Saint Sand, that cinnamon roll whose divine powers are based on holy vows of this and that. She held my hand and looked me in the eyes and told me she doesn't think I'm dangerous, then she didn't lose any powers for lying so I know she either really believes in me, like I'll become a great hero someday, or really doesn't, like I'll wash out. I'm thinking it's the second one, and I have a pretty good radar for when people are showing me pity and thinking it makes them a good person or makes me feel better. Neither of which are true. But hey, if being a product of the foster care system has taught me wrong, and she really believes in me... well that'd be cool. I just am not getting my hopes up.

Oh crap, it looks like I missed a question from earlier... (I smoked too soon, pff) hmmm...

• What's your favorite class? What about least favorite?
Villain Psychology, because it's a really big lecture room class that I can take remotely, even without navelgazing. Everything's recorded, and they don't post your scores, so no one knows how good I am at it. If they did, I'd get looked at funny. Funnier. It turns out having a crappy life is good for something, I guess?

Least favorite classes are art, music, and drama. I have to get put in the spotlight, and the better I do at them the more in the spotlight I get. I have always loved them, but the way people get jealous and disgusted and catty and competitive over parts and talents is ruining that love. I just used to think I always had these things I could use to express myself and escape from my crappy life before I was changed, and now, after all that, they're being taken away too.

"How can she act? She doesn't even have a face! *stupid giggle*" Bitch I can hear you! Super. Senses. Also, I can sit in on master classes in acting by navelgazing.

[Combining frustrated talents in the Arts and aptitude in Villain Psychology has indeed put her under watch. The institution is under orders not to intervene in any nonviolent clashes between students, and to focus on punishing those who step over the line. It does not want to train future villains in general, but especially does not want to be publicly linked to any graduates who turn to villainy.]

• Locked thread