Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thinking Beacon, because I DARE TO COMPETE WITH LUCKY TED!!

nah, apped a Delinquent instead

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

(image 1 source)(image 2 source)

Black Rabbit, the Delinquent

So this is some kinda entrance interview, right? Don't you guys have my file? I thought they were gonna send it over! ... Okay, okay, I get it. Red tape, or whatever, or you're trying to catch me in a lie or something.

Hell with it. I'll be honest.

quote:

How did you get your powers?

Beats me; for all I know, I could be a mutant or something and they were always there. I was three the first time they showed up. There was an accident -- Mom was ironing, she went to answer the phone for a second, and I pulled the cord and hit myself in the face with the iron, I think? I don't remember it that great, because I was goddamn three, okay? But I guess I teleported myself out of the house just to get away from the iron. Mom found me out in the backyard, crying.

... Yeah, that's how I got the scar, too. Figured I'd answer before you asked, because everyone asks.

quote:

What do you do for fun?

I've always been a "make my own fun" kind of guy. I was kind of a pariah when I was a kid -- a nervous kid from the wrong side of the tracks, with a huge burn scar on his face? Not really a recipe for making a lot of friends. So I spent a lot of time alone, and then I started playing pranks, because nobody at school knew I was a teleporter. I didn't hurt anybody, but you can screw around a lot without hurting anybody. A few minutes alone, and I could teleport wherever and do whatever, as long as I wasn't gone long. Hide everyone's homework, put plastic spiders in people's desks, rummage through lunchboxes and take whatever looked tasty... nothing big, you know?

Okay, so maybe some kids got worse: the bullies, the ones who had it coming. Maybe stuff that went missing started showing up in their desks, like other kids' lunch money. Maybe their winter coats ended up buried in the snow outside. Maybe they got real bugs in their desk. Like I said, had it coming.

Don't give me that look! I don't pull crap like that anymore. I was a kid, okay? These days, I'm way more into urban exploration and parkour. That stuff's a lot more fun when you can get yourself out of tight spots no problem. Not always that much to see in New Arcadia, but you'd be surprised how deep you can go.

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

I never really had a lot of friends at school, but there was this one girl, Hanako Kinoshita, who knew me from the neighborhood and stayed my friend at school. We're still friends even now that I'm at the Academy... she's always been telling me how smart I am, and she's really excited I'm here and trying to be a hero. I think she thinks I've got more going on than I do, and I don't know why.

I mean... look, I'm not totally stupid, okay? But she thinks I'm really special, that I'm an artist or something. She keeps telling me I've got so much talent and I'm so sensitive. Sensitive like a freakin' zit, more like. She keeps acting like there's something pretty in my soul, and I think we all know that's not true.

... But I like Hanako, so we keep hanging out, and sometimes I try the stuff she wants me to try, when I've got time on my hands. Why not?

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Because... well, I did it once, and it's about the first non-crappy thing I ever did in my life, okay?

So I already told you about the pranks. Well, when I got a little older, I started shoplifting. Money was always kind of tight at home, so I figured if I wanted stuff, I could just take it and 'port out, right? Hide from the cameras, don't get stopped by the security gates, you know the score. I did that for a few years, and I got pretty good. It was kind of fun, you know? Kind of a game.

So one day, about a year ago, I was in that big department store downtown, Alderbury's, looking for something for my mom's birthday. Okay, looking to lift something for my mom's birthday. Not like I had the money to buy it, right? But suddenly there was this announcement over the PA about "this store is coming under the influence of the Secret Signal, proceed to the third floor atrium," and I felt like... I just had to move. I got on the escalator along with most of the rest of the store, and everyone just had these blank eyes. Like we were being controlled or something, you know?

So we got to the third floor atrium, and there was this guy in blue robes standing in the center -- I guess he calls himself the Master of the Signal? He was having everyone drop their wallets and valuables in this bag, along with the contents of the cash registers and stuff. It was so... so... this is gonna sound crazy, but it was just so stupid! I didn't care about the cash, but he had us all enslaved, all for a bunch of wallets? I was getting really angry, even angrier as I got closer to the bag, and then something just snapped and I had my body back. I ran forward and tackled him, before I really knew what I was doing, and when I touched him... whatever weird thing he was doing just stopped, just like that. Everyone came to their senses, people started screaming, someone called the cops, the cops called the Justice Alliance...

So that's how I learned I have another power besides the 'porting. When I touch someone with powers and I want them to stop their bullshit, it stops. Pretty nice, huh?

Anyway, after the Justice Alliance got there, they thanked me for capturing the guy -- first time anyone like that had ever thanked me in my whole goddamn life. It felt really nice, you know? It felt like I did something worth doing, for once. I kinda wanna keep doing stuff that's worth doing.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Why are you so sure I care? If these guys turn out to be jackasses, I'm out.

... But I don't think they're gonna. I think... most of them are people like me, people who have been weirdos most of their lives, people who are maybe trying to do something with that. If they get preachy or superior, we're gonna have a problem. But if we can be weirdos together... maybe this is gonna work out.

quote:

Hero Name: Black Rabbit

Look: Man, Asian, untrusting eyes, rebellious clothing, showy costume
Abilities: Teleportation, power negation

Labels
Freak +1
Danger 0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves

Criminal Mind
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

Troublemaker
When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Are You Watching Closely?
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Thread Questions:

quote:

What made you decide to join the academy?

After the Secret Signal thing, I got a card from the Justice Alliance to talk to one of their "power counselors," and I figured hey, why not? So I had a meeting with Dr. Albrecht, and she told me that I was a pretty good Academy candidate, if I could keep it together. She was pretty firm on the "if"... but she also told me that the Academy was a good place if I was feeling bored, restless, alone. Which I am. A lot. And I do want to try and do this hero thing, so it seemed like it was worth a chance.

Besides, it's just better than my crappy school back in my old neighborhood. Better classes, better food, even better uniforms. If I decide to screw this hero thing and go to college or something, it's gonna look way better than my old place.

quote:

Which hero sponsored your entrance into the academy? What did you do to impress them?

Gwydion, Warlock of the Blade was one of the first Justice Alliance guys to show up at Alderbury's. I don't really get his "thing" -- he's like a medieval wizard guy, but with a sword? -- but he was the one who hauled out the Master of the Signal and congratulated me for my work. He gave me the card for Dr. Albrecht, and he said I had potential. "Not everyone could have resisted the Secret Signal that way, young man," he said. "You have a powerful mind." Maybe it was a little more flowery than that? You get the picture.

Anyway, after I talked to Dr. Albrecht and filled out my Academy application, she called Gwydion and he agreed to sponsor me. I don't get that guy, but you know, he walked the walk. I owe him a lot.

quote:

Tell me about that one interesting person in your class!

A couple of rows behind me, there's this girl named Chiaris. I think that's her real name, and she doesn't have a hero name yet? But, well, maybe she doesn't need one, because I don't think she's gonna be able to do the "secret identity" thing. She looks like she's made of smoked glass, and she kind of changes colors sometimes? Usually she's kind of cobalt blue, but sometimes she turns purple, or red, or green. I think I saw her go golden once, too.

She says she was experimented on, which, y'know, no duh. I'm not even sure if she has useful powers or if she's just here because there's nowhere else for her to go. She seems kinda... fragile? And not because of the glass thing.

quote:

What's your favorite class? What about least favorite?

I'm taking Xenogeography, and I guess most people think it's too weird, but it totally owns. Basically we're learning about all this crazy crap with off-planet space stations and alien planets and alternate dimensions, kind of as an intro thing, but it still feels like I'm learning a bunch of crazy secrets. Turns out there's a ton of stuff about the universe they don't even tell people who aren't in on this superhero thing.

As for least favorite? Well... I kinda hate group work, and Chemistry so far is like all group work. We have these 4-person lab groups and it means we're always falling over each other. I go to do something, someone's already done it, then I lose track of where we are... it sucks, a lot, and it really makes me wish I was just doing it on my own. What, like we're gonna blow ourselves up?

quote:

What do you like to do in your free time?

Well, I talked about the parkour, but... I guess I should be honest. I kind of dig costumes. I'm not into cosplay or anything weird like that, but this one time Hanako got me into helping with making costumes for a play she was in, and I kind of liked it. I'm getting pretty decent at sewing, although I have to borrow a machine if I'm doing anything heavy, but mostly for school shows it's altering old costumes or thrift-store clothes or whatever, so nothing big. You can do some pretty sweet stuff with just a sewing kit and a couple ideas. Sometimes Hanako and I hit the thrift shops for extra pieces -- and no, I'm not shoplifting anymore, okay? I pay for what I need. I'm trying to do this right.

My own costume is kind of a pet project, I guess. I knew I wanted a mask, because of the scar, but then I started sketching a thing and I kind of went overboard? Maybe it's also to throw people off my scent, because God knows I don't do any of that traditional crap on my own time. But... doing up Black Rabbit pretty proper was a lot of fun. I'm gonna keep tinkering with that.

If you're gonna say something, don't. I know I'm not the toughest guy around here, and not just 'cause I can't break rocks with my bare hands, but I'm not taking any crap from anybody about what I like.

quote:

New Arcadia’s a pretty sweet place, isn’t it? Tell me about that one cool place you like!

So New Arcadia isn't the best place for urban exploration, because it's mostly new and shiny and stuff, but turns out there's an abandoned half-finished subway line you can get to through an old public-works building. It's called the Quicksilver Line, and there are like six or seven underground stations they built and then sealed up, with track running between them. No idea why they abandoned it, but this stuff's pretty sealed up if you don't know the secret entrance, and it's cool as hell to hang around in. Almost nobody knows, just the really dedicated urbex people... if I was gonna make a secret base, it'd definitely be down on the Quicksilver Line. Maybe at Chrysanthemum Park Station, at the end of the line. That'd be pretty sweet.

quote:

(Optional) Hey, guess what! They’re making a variant cover focusing on you! Please describe the cover to me!

A tight shot of Black Rabbit from beyond (pretty much just his head), staring down at a city street and the villains/mooks below, with numbered points and dotted lines suggesting a plan of attack, with attached notes: "'port here," "punch this dude (back of head)," "run here and port to 2," and so on.

quote:

(Optional) Suggest a name for the IC thread.
Hero Training Academy: Math Class Is Hard, Let's Go Mook-Punching

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 25, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Tardzilla posted:

Round 1 Questions
Black Rabbit

- How did your mother react when you told her about your enrollment into the academy? Do you have any other family members, or is she the only one?

Mom's not the only family I have, but a lot of the time it was just the two of us. Dad works a lot -- he's one of the shift foreman over at Fletcher Aerospace, in the Manufacturing District. It's kind of a high-profile joint; the CEO's a guy named Jason Fletcher, who used to be a big-time gadget hero back in the Silver Age. Think he called himself Flyboy? Anyway, Fletcher Aerospace has a ton of government and hero contracts, so they run a tight shop. Means my dad works late most days. When he's home, he tries, but... he's not home that much.

Doesn't help that I was kind of a late kid -- an accidental kid, I'm guessing. My folks were like 40 when I was born, and my sisters Satoko and Tsukiyo are both way older than me. Satoko's 10 years older and Tsukiyo's 12, so we weren't close as kids. They both went off to college and then kind of screwed off; I'm not sure if either of them even live in New Arcadia anymore. We don't exactly keep in touch.

... You know, when I was a kid, sometimes I wondered if something was wrong there. Satoko and Tsukiyo never seemed to get along with my folks even when they were at home, and Mom doesn't really talk about it. Especially since...

Well, you asked about how my mom took me going here? She was excited at first -- talking about all the opportunities and stuff -- but then she started giving me this long talk about "being careful," because "some of those people are very dangerous." I pushed her a little, and it turned out she meant mutants. Of course. So I was like "Mom, what if I'm a mutant," and of course she said I was a good kid so it'd be okay, and then she got back to talking about how exciting it was, but... I think my mom might be a mutaphobe. And if I'm a mutant, what about my sisters? Is that why they got out so fast?

Christ, this is kind of hosed, when I think about it. I love my mom, but...

quote:

- The academy might be a prestigious school for super-powered individuals, but even it can't escape the bully problem. Who was the biggest jerk you've met, and what did you do to put them in their place?

The biggest jerk is probably Linda Wolcott, whose hero handle is The Steel Shrike:

She's kind of a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone -- always talking about how hard she had it, with her mad-scientist dad installing robot wings on her back and poo poo, and okay, that's a big deal, right? But she just takes it out on everyone in her blast radius, especially those of us who can look kinda normal, and apparently just having a gnarly burn scar doesn't make you not "normal" in her book. She's always telling me off about how I'm not gonna hack it at the academy, I'm too dumb, I don't have the focus. Mostly because of PE, where, okay, I fall behind a lot, but I'm not a cyborg, okay? They really oughta break up PE. It kind of sucks to have everyone in the same class when half of us aren't even in the same universe as the other half.

Anyway, I got freakin' sick of her talking about "focus," and I noticed she was always on her phone in the classes I had with her that weren't PE. One day I saw her leaving her dorm room, so I decided to try my luck, and... bam. I 'ported in and her phone hadn't locked up yet, so I opened up her settings and made a few little adjustments: putting her phone sound on at max volume, changing her settings passcode to lock it down, then 'porting out before she got back. The next day in class, bam, she pulls out her phone and her game music is just screaming, right in the middle of History lecture. Her phone got confiscated for like a week and a half, and she looked pissed the entire drat time. What's it like to have to pay attention for once, Linda?

quote:

- Something felt a little... off the last time you visited the Quicksilver Line. What was different, and why is it bothering you so much?

Okay, so... you know how there are a lot of electrical things you can't really hear, but they're like subsonic, so you can feel them? Like when the power goes out and your fridge turns off and suddenly you notice you're not feeling it? Lately I've been feeling something kind of like that down there, around Photon Square Station, in the center of the line. I couldn't see anything, but when I touched the wall, I could feel it kind of vibrating under my hand.

All the station buildings themselves are locked up tight, and most of them were never finished, so there's not that much room to hide anything, but maybe someone found some room. The only thing I can think is that someone's building something in there, or using old equipment from the Line, and it's all about to wake up. The Quicksilver Line isn't that long, but it's still running a pretty good chunk of northern New Arcadia, and it's under my old neighborhood. What happens when whatever someone's building down there decides to break through?

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 24, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

When our team first came together...

quote:

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

The Hive Sky-Mall has some pretty tight security, probably 'cause it's New Arcadia and way too many of the customers have freaky superpowers. There are a ton of rules about access to the control panels for all the systems, and none of it is supposed to go out of auto mode except in a serious emergency. The Scorcher was an emergency, all right, but that doesn't mean the auto went out at a smart time. There were people trapped in the elevators and stuff, most of the blast doors were stuck open... we needed to control the battlefield, and we needed to get people out safe. The Hive Sky-Mall's security rules weren't doing the job.

I grabbed a guard, and -- okay, I didn't strong-arm him, but maybe I yelled a little about the people trapped in the elevators, and I got him to unlock the control room for me. He guided me through the controls, and I 'ported around the control rooms, getting the elevators safely down and cutting off access to box Scorcher in and keep him away from his targets. In the process, I learned some real interesting things about Hive Sky-Mall security, but it had to be done, okay? There were people trapped in there with a pyromaniac who could melt stone. You can't really think that keeping business secrets is more important than getting them clear, right?

Relationships

quote:

You keep trying to impress X-Calibre with your antics.

Okay, so... look, before I say anything, I know X-Calibre is totally out of my league. I don't really think anything's gonna happen there, all right? So don't lecture me. But I guess I'd really like her to take me seriously. There's just something about her, something... intense. Serious but not a jerk about it, just -- driven. I want to be someone she can take at her level, even if never as, like, anything else, you know?

quote:

You and Meeba pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Meeba is seriously weird, but that thing she does with transforming into a spaceship? Extremely cool. I managed to talk her into flying me over the fence for the abandoned ClariTek campus. You know ClariTek, right? That supertech firm that turned out to be a front for alien brain-hackers? One of the Justice Alliance task forces cleaned the place out, but there's all kind of cool architecture around there. Major urbex score. Also insanely illegal to trespass on, but... come on!

Anyway, we spent most of the night screwing around in there. I've got some great pictures I can't share, and I found this paperweight in a box of office crap someone left behind... c'mon, dude! It's not stealing if it's abandoned. I think Meeba had fun, too, even if we can't talk to anyone about it. That was a great night.

Influence

quote:

You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Throwing this on X-Calibre, Meeba, and Sanguine.

Team Leader Vote: X-Calibre
Team Name Vote: No big ideas at this point, although All-New Alliance is pretty good.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 6, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Relationships and Influence added to my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

It's totally okay; I appreciate you GMing it, and I enjoyed myself. Take care of yourself, okay?

• Locked thread