Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Lyrebird, the Protégé

Hey! The name's Lyrebird, latest and greatest of the newest and truest generation of supers! I'm here to kick evil's butt and look good doing it! Villains beware, for I will turn own wicked powers against you and... what? This isn't for an article? Ugh, fine, no speeches. I had a whole thing prepared, but I guess I'll save it for a real interview. Go on, ask your boring questions. Unless you want me to just pick them out of your head?

My non-super name is Sun-hi, Sun-hi Park. No weather puns, please, those are lame. My least favorite thing is schmucks, and my favorite thing is winning. And that's easy to do if you have super powers and are the best at using them, which I do and am. Heck, I'd probably be better at using your powers than you are! We can test it out if you like — we'll just have to shake hands or something first. One touch, and I'll be able to do everything you can do for a little while. Except, as mentioned, I'll be doing it with way more style.

How did I get like this? Well, it's mostly talent and good genetics, but also hard work and — oh, you mean the powers. Some kind of cosmic rays from the Apocalypse Comet, the one that aaaaalmost hit the Earth and made everyone think they were gonna die. Now I know what you're thinking: "where you even born when that happened?" and "that comet didn't give people powers!" The answers are no I wasn't, and no it didn't, unless the person in question was very close to the comet and also, uh, in the process of being made. Yeah... I was conceived in space. And I do not want more details than that! So gross to think about.

Anyway, back to why I'm so great! See, I've had a lot of help in figuring out this whole superpowers thing, and how to cope with being just, you know, so different. Or as he would say, better.

Fowleri is my teacher in the ways of being super. His teaching method is eighty percent lecturing, fifteen percent practice, and five percent very real, very dangerous sink-or-swim situations. Apparently that's the only way to learn "how your powers truly set you apart from the masses" and "embed in your bones the knowledge that only we can do what must be done". I don't know about all that, but I haven't sunk yet. So he must be doing something right.

As for Fowleri himself, he's one of those loner-type heroes, you know, masked avenger with a dark past, et cetera. Likes to brood about his "inescapable duty," and about how "the mundande world can never truly know me," yadda yadda. Goes off to sulk if you point out his name makes him sound more like a third-rate bird-themed wizard than a wicked brain parasite. Bird puns fly (hah!) in the face of his very carefully cultivated aesthetic. That's at least half the reason I picked an avian name for myself.

Like me, he has mind powers. Unlike me, that's it. He's scary good with them though, like literally. I have seen him make hardened criminals pee their pants after two seconds of eye contact.

But he's a real softy on the inside. Didn't take me long to figure that out, even without reading his mind — dude brings snacks to every training session, and he ain't stingy with the praise, either. I can barely throw a punch without being complimented on my form. Makes it tricky to figure out what he actually means, but that's probably part of the training. It's a nice change from home, anyway.

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?
My schoolbus got kidnapped when I was twelve. With all the kids on it, obviously. Apparently it was a cult called the Heralds of Writhing Doom, looking for human sacrifices. Which might have been terrifying if I had known it at the time, but I just thought the driver had taken a wrong turn and given me a great excuse to miss class. And when they locked us in a room, well, I figured they were after one of the rich kids and the rest of us were just along for the ride. Anyway, long story short, Fowleri showed up and had the whole cult catatonic before any of us were in any real danger.

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?
I googled him after that whole thing was over with. For a "brooding loner", he's really active on social media. Blogs and tweets (heh) and everything. The blog post about his dramatic rescue of the kidnapped schoolchildren was pretty compelling, but what really impressed me was how he handled the comment section. Just enough attention to the fans to keep them wanting more, a brief diss to the haters to stir up controversy, encouraging subscription so subtly I hit "follow" before I even realized it... it was masterful.

A few pestering private messages later, he agreed to a trial run, which I passed with flying colors. Obviously.

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?
He "has his reasons," or so he'll say. I think he hasn't come up with a suitably brooding explanation yet. If you ask me — and you did — he agreed because he was lonely. Seriously, I don't think he has any friends. He says that's because "his calling leaves no time for such frivolous concerns," but come on. He does crosswords, how busy can he be? Live a little, man.

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
Dear old dad and darling mom. I didn't even try to keep it from them. With how good they are at violating my privacy, they would have found out anyway. It took a week of pleading, and I had to promise to carry a tazer for the first month, but they finally came around. Of course, now they keep trying to tell me how to hero, and they demand constant status updates, and... well, at least this is a boarding school. And I can mute my phone.

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?
Well, I basically have two powers: mind stuff, and literally everything else. And I can't make use of the second one without some other people to borrow from! I'd be a terrible — well, mediocre — well, decent — solo act. And I want to be the best I can be.

Besides, I don't agree with Fowleri on the whole "no friends, no social life, no fun" thing he's got going on. I can't hang with normals, sure, but it's nice to have that (super)human connection.

quote:

- What made you decide to join the academy?
It's where all the best heroes come from! Where else would I want to go? Besides, it's probably the only school where all (or most) of the students can reasonably be called my peers. Maybe not quite equals, but close enough.

quote:

- Which hero sponsored your entrance into the academy? What did you do to impress them?

Landsknecht. He's got a sword that shoots fire or something? I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention to him. I'd heard there was a hero fighting some bad dudes at the hospital, so I went and crashed the party. I beat up some baddies — more of them than Landsknecht did, I kept count — and I did it with my signature flair. Took maybe five minutes? And the cherry on top is that this was a real public affair. Broad daylight, cameras everywhere, and halfway through a news helicopter showed up! Couldn't have asked for a better opportunity.

Since I did so well in the fight, Landsknecht couldn't really refuse when I asked him (on live television) for an official sponsorship to the academy. I think he's pretty miffed about how all that went down, though — he hasn't talked to me since he filed the paperwork. Whatever, he's small-time.

Why didn't I just ask Fowleri? Too easy! It would have felt like cheating, and cheating is for schmucks who can't cut it for real.

quote:

- Tell me about that one interesting person in your class!

Oh man. This guy. This guy! He calls himself "Harbinger" (real name? Josh!) and he keeps dropping these incredibly unsubtle hints about how dangerous he is. Like, if you try to make some friendly conversation, he'll warn you not to get to close. Sometimes he'll try to hide a glowing mark on his hand. Or yell that he's losing control and storm out of the classroom, lit up like a really gaudy Christmas tree. He's done that last bit five times so far.

But guess what, douchebrain? I can look into your douche brain! And it's got nothing but fluff inside. Fluff and fantasy! He's just some nobody with illusion powers. lovely illusion powers. Dude's the very definition of a schmuck. He is kinda funny (in a sad, pathetic sort of way) so I don't really heckle him or anything, but I feel real sorry for whatever team he ends up on. I mean, what's he gonna do with the amazing power of "low-budget lightshows"?

The worst part is, I think at least half the class is actually buying his act! I guess the sheer concentration of weirdos around here makes his whole deal seem plausible.

quote:

- What's your favorite class? What about least favorite?
PE's the best, for one simple reason: there's usually a win condition. And I'm pretty fit for someone without super-strength, so I do better than most. Ever seen a flier try to sprint? With their legs? It's hilarious.

As for worst, History. Most of that stuff happened before there were supers everywhere! It does not apply to today's society! You can't "learn from the past" when the past is basically a whole other world.

quote:

- What do you like to do in your free time?
Uh, chill out with my friends? You know, like a normal person? I mean, not boring normal normal, but like, super normal. Me and some other telepaths invented this game that's like poker, except you're only allowed to look at your opponents' cards and you have to mind read them to find out what you got. I usually win, it's pretty fun.

Other than that, I've got my blog and my YouTube channel. Gotta lay the groundwork for when the adoring fans start pouring in, you know? Give them a chance to know me.

quote:

- New Arcadia’s a pretty sweet place, isn’t it? Tell me about that one cool place you like!
It is sweet! A real city! With more than three streets! People everywhere! The best place, of course, is Future Square in the city center.

Look at the size of that crowd. And that's a slow day! I could hang around there for hours without getting bored. If I ever had hours to spare, anyway.

quote:

- (Optional) Hey, guess what! They’re making a variant cover focusing on you! Please describe the cover to me!
The cover is framed as a selfie. Lyrebird's face covers roughly half the image. She's grinning widely and making a "V" sign. Behind her, the rest of her team poses awkwardly in front of a literal pile of vanquished villains. News helicopters fly overhead, and in the background a hooded figure watches from atop a building. He's giving a discreet thumbs up.

quote:

Hero Name: Lyrebird

Look: Woman, asian, compact body, casual clothes, colorful costume

Abilities:

Shared ability: telepathy/telekinesis
Your own ability: power mimicry
Your mentor's ability: intimidation and fear

Mentor embodies Superior
Mentor denies Mundane

Labels:
Danger: -1
Freak: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: +2
Mundane: 0

Mentor's resources:
communicators, a vehicle, surveillance equipment

Protégé moves:

Captain: When you enter battle as a team, add
an extra Team to the pool and carry +1 forward if
you are the leader.

Heroic tradition: When you give someone the
advice that you think your mentor would give,
you can roll + the Label your mentor embodies to
comfort or support someone, instead of rolling
+ Mundane.

Team moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or
effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential.
If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label
your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor
(including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

Moment of truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do
whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always
failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path
you choose…

When our team first came together...
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships:
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

Auraboks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Round 1 questions, and Lyrebird's sheet updated with the final bits.

quote:

- Do you still keep in contact with Fowleri? How does he feel about you joining the academy?

Of I'm keeping contact, my training isn't complete! Of course, it's a lot less in-person hand-to-hand training and a lot more video chat lecturing these days, but I'm still learning stuff that school doesn't cover. Can you believe this place doesn't have a dedicated course for combining mind-reading with martial arts?

I think Fowleri's ok with me going to the academy? I mean, he's never said he isn't. Although he never really says anything negative? Just gets kind of subtly passive aggressive. And I guess his lectures have included a lot of brooding about solitude lately. More than usual, I mean.

Well, if he has anything to say, he'll just have to say it.

quote:

- When did you first discover your powers? How long did it take for you to adjust to them?
Oh, I've always known. The doctors found a weird extra lump in my brain when I was a baby, concluded that it wasn't cancer, and had me examined by a whole bunch of experts. Some weeks of poking and prodding later, they told my parents it was harmless and that I'd probably end up with superpowers. They also provided several hundred pages of research on the "Park Anomaly" in my brain, which was great fun when I was learning how to read. Apparently, it's a "benign metamorphic growth, reacting on the physical, spiritual and conceptual level when exposed to a viable template."

As for when my powers actually appeared, I think I was maybe eight? Nine? My school had a meet-and-greet with "a real superhero," Omoikane. He had telepathy, low-level telekinesis, and no ambition whatsoever. Anyway, he did the whole "not having powers doesn't mean you aren't special" bit (lol) and gave hugs and handshakes to all the kids who wanted it. That was the first time I got close to another super, and after that I just... knew how to do what he did. No muss, no fuss, just "oh, so this is how you read minds and that's how you move things with your thoughts". It was really quite anticlimactic. And I never lost Omoikane's powers, either, maybe because they were the first I ever copied. Adjusting was easy — I already knew I was special.

It did take me a few years to start respecting people's privacy. Didn't realize how rude it was to casually browse surface thoughts until I learned mom and dad were monitoring my internet traffic. That was not a fun day, let me tell you. Now, I only read minds when I have permission. Or when it's important, like in a fight. Or if I'm really curious.

quote:

- The whole stunt you pulled at the hospital has garnered some unwanted (or wanted) media attention. How have you been dealing with all the attention you've suddenly been getting? How has it been causing trouble for the academy?

It's cool. Fame comes with the territory. Can't blame people for wanting to know who to look up to! No big deal if I skip class once or twice for an interview, right? And it's not like the academy itself hasn't been in the spotlight before. The employee handbook probably has a whole chapter on shooing away nosy reporters. So the media isn't really a problem for anyone!

Well, the real media anyway. You know, the ones with sizeable audiences and an ounce of journalistic integrity? Some of the so-called "alternative outlets" aren't as polite. They don't harass people or anything, at least not yet, but... Here, I'll just send you a link.

The Extra Ordinary posted:

Last week, an act of domestic terrorism shook our fair city. Ursa, a well-known and state-sanctioned superpowered vigilante, used her powers to collapse an office building, resulting in nine deaths and at least thirty major injuries. Her motive — if she had any — remains unknown, since she was rendered comatose when the building fell on her. The world is not without a sense of justice, it seems.

But I already talked about that. I called on you to assemble in peaceful protest against the government's response to this incident — giving Ursa an all-expenses-paid vacation to the swankiest hospital in New Arcadia. A terrorist is being given the best possible treatment, paid for by your taxes, while her surviving victims have to pay out of their own pockets for the care that will let them return to some semblance of a normal life!

And assemble you did. Almost a hundred brave souls, fed up with being treated like something less than human for the simple crime of not being more than human. Our manifestation was being watched, of course — Landsknecht, who you remember from some of my previous articles was hanging around, waiting for an excuse to get violent. Of course, we didn't give him one.

Until we had to defend ourselves.

That's right — another vigilante showed up, and this one didn't need any excuses to turn to violence. She struck from behind, breaking arms and legs left and right, without a care in the world. She was giggling. She was — is — barely more than a child, and already she enjoys oppressing those who cannot defend themselves. It didn't take long for Landsknecht to join in on the "fun".

The chaos that followed was short and brutal. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say none of us walked away without scars.

Soon after, the authorities showed up and arrested both of them, sending Landsknecht off to jail and the newcomer ("Lyrebird") to juvenile detention and psychological counseling.

Wait, no, sorry. That's what should have happened. Instead, the police blamed us for the whole affair! The "heroes" were interviewed on live television even as their victims were being hauled off to intesive care. Landsknecht got a pat on the back, and Lyrebird was offered enrollment in the Hero Training Academy. As a reward. For brutalizing innocents.

Maybe you saw the interview. She was all smiles. Talked about a brighter tomorrow. Made a few quips, probably got a laugh or two. I'll never forget that. How quickly and easily she hid her bloodlust behind a mask of civility. And if she goes to that academy, she'll only get worse. That girl needs a straightjacket, not combat training! Mark my words, if she graduates from that place, we will have an unholy terror on our hands. A murderous monster with the mainstream media eating out of her hand. People. Will. Die.

Not that you'll ever hear about it. Not from anywhere but here.

I don't doubt that I've made an enemy today, by exposing this Liar Bird for who she really is. Maybe she'll come after me. Maybe she'll send some of her inhuman friends. Hell, maybe she'll just ask the government to deal with me! We all know whose side they're on.

Even with all the risk, I had to speak out. Someone needs to bring the truth to the people — and I will continue doing just that, as long as I breathe.

Wake up! We outnumber them!

The Extra Ordinary is run entirely on the good will of regular folks like you. Click here to donate and support our struggle.

That's pretty much all bullshit! I did not attack from behind, and I certainly didn't giggle. Ursa is not a terrorist, domestic or otherwise — she just knocked out some supporting walls while fighting Moletron X. Everyone makes mistakes! And it was not a "peaceful protest," those guys (there were only like, twelve) had guns and knives! Already drawn by the time I got there! Landsknecht had his sword on fire, and looked ready to charge in! I did throw the first punch, yeah, but that powderkeg was gonna explode anyway. I didn't light the fuse, they did when they came to literally murder a coma patient!

Ugh. Anyway, there's a couple of articles like that around the web. That was one of the more extreme ones. Some people buy into it, I guess. There's been a few protests outside the academy since then. Some against me personally ("We will be heard! Expel the Liar Bird!" — catchy, but kind of grating after a while) but mostly calling for more accountability, stricter monitoring of underage supers, blah blah blah. I guess these people just don't have anything better to do.

Ah, what can I say? Haters gonna hate.

• Locked thread