Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Jusupov posted:

It's good to see proper itemization again

Chronicon is a fun little game

Wow that’s pretty cool. Don’t think I’ve ever seen an item that interesting in Diablo 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The PvE was the only aspect of Fortnight I cared about prior to release and now it might have well never existed.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The PvE was the only aspect of Fortnight I cared about prior to release and now it might have well never existed.

In the world's defense the PVE sucked poo poo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The beta of fortnite might have been literally the worst beta I had ever played. I remember joking with people they'd have to burn the game down and completely make something different.

Then they did that.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just rewatched Arboc's Bucky vid from Super96

It gave me legit sad feelings.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I just rewatched Arboc's Bucky vid from Super96

It gave me legit sad feelings.

Can you re-post it? I have been meaning to try to find it! It was “down” or something for the longest time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ICR posted:

Can you re-post it? I have been meaning to try to find it! It was “down” or something for the longest time.

http://162.243.138.154/mh/cosmictoday.html

It was good back when it came out, but now it's got the added benefit of intense nostalgic signal boosting it.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
drat. That bummed me out. RIP all those boons with ticking timers.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dang that was a great vid.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
My favorite part is that the lyrics were built out of a markov chain that had been fed an entire thread's worth of ICR posts.

Also, Winzip Folder still makes me laugh.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Strange Matter posted:

It was good back when it came out, but now it's got the added benefit of intense nostalgic signal boosting it.

oh man that's the good poo poo

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

There really was something about Marble Heroins that no other ARPG (I've found) has managed to match. The speed for sure but there was something else. Just thinking about the good times because I watched a review for the Avengers game and it looks awful (as predicted but still).

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I think it's that the devs were really passionate about the property and the characters which is why they made it their goal to represent as much of the Marvel universe as possible, and for all their failings they at least tried to make each character feel distinct and powerful in their own way.

If passion equated to functional code and desirable content I'd have to imagine some form of Marvel Heroes would exist to this day.

Gaz's biggest failing as far as content is concerned is not seeing Secret Wars coming. They built a game around a dumb fetch quest story that nobody cared about when it could have been set on Battle World, which would actually make all the duplicate heroes hanging around make sense. Each chapter could have been truly distinct worlds all tied into the central plot of trying to take down God Emperor Doom.

EDIT: If someone can post the Mr.69 song that starts with making tuna salad in a tupperware container I'd be endlessly grateful.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Humerus posted:

There really was something about Marble Heroins that no other ARPG (I've found) has managed to match. The speed for sure but there was something else. Just thinking about the good times because I watched a review for the Avengers game and it looks awful (as predicted but still).

It's fine.

It's not good, but it's a perfectly fine one of those.

It's no goddamn Marvel Heroes though. gently caress I would no joke pay far too much money so I could run around vacuuming loot into a HERBIE as Psylocke right now.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I already paid too much money on this dumb game and by extension continue to do so with through sheer nostalgia in MSF. God I'd love to bring this game back somehow. Ideally around the era of the birthday fountain with a few of the cool things added. It got way too bloated and lovely after a bit.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah, no other ARPG has captured the same feeling. It definitely had its flaws but no other ARPGs I've tried have had that je ne sais quoi. I remember the games media being pretty down it at launch, I wonder if it would still be around if it had launched in a better state. I feel like it would have eventually been plowed under to make room for more MCU-centric games anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

rip to a real one.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, no other ARPG has captured the same feeling. It definitely had its flaws but no other ARPGs I've tried have had that je ne sais quoi. I remember the games media being pretty down it at launch, I wonder if it would still be around if it had launched in a better state. I feel like it would have eventually been plowed under to make room for more MCU-centric games anyway.

The thing is I feel like this was the perfect game to add poo poo to as more movies came out. They added Star Lord when Guardians came out and he was pretty cool. Plus every new movie meant new costumes for any relevant heroes, etc. All Gaz had to do was keep a moderate release schedule but they hosed it up trying to chase those console dollars

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Reputedly Disney was pretty down on all of the pre-existing licenses, game was probably doomed from the moment that sale went through no matter how Gaz was doing with it, if they weren't loving up it just would've taken longer.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

goddamn....bucklas barnes the cold shoulder hitting cosmic 60 on a MODOK kill. this is what a real man looks like.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That video sent me back in time. But not for long enough

I want to go back

Let me go back to Marvel Heroes

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
it wasn’t fair that the game shut down more than a month earlier than expected

i’d probably be less nostalgic if i had cosmic’d like i was planning

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Someone edit my face onto the fat thor introduction scene from endgame and hastily scrawl "Cosmic Today" on my shirt

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I had a lot of fun with this game for sure, but my ~2500 hours in MH to me represents a kind of depressing time in my life. I am glad to have moved on. Cheers all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Rufio posted:

I had a lot of fun with this game for sure, but my ~2500 hours in MH to me represents a kind of depressing time in my life.

same but also all the other hours since it shut down too

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

I AM THE MOON posted:

same but also all the other hours since it shut down too

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Strange Matter posted:

I didn't realize how much I missed this game until this video. I really just want to teleport around a map blowing poo poo up with Scarlet Witch again.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

My favorite thing was going practically AFK as Storm with all her AOE toggles.

Might not have been the fastest leveling but it was mindless and flashy.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I loved playing a character to 60, leaving them, and then coming back to prestige and finding out that they'd been changed into a completely different character in the interim.

Looking at you, Black Widow and Star-Lord.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Storm was the first character I played that made me acutely aware of how powerful it felt having an AOE aura constantly blowing up every single nearby destructible for insignificant amounts of extra loot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The thing Marvel Heroes captured which no other ARPG has before or since is the wild diversity characters. They basically took the LoL/DotA model of heroes and grafted it onto an ARPG with the added bonus that the Marvel universe is an endless well of inspiration for new additions.

Like, imagine if a Diablo game had 70 classes instead of five or six. It doesn't matter that there's zero balance because there are so many options a player is bound to find a few they enjoy. I'm legit kind of shocked how rarely that concept gets pulled out and put into games that aren't MOBAs cause it's a drat good one.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 21, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The first one that really made me go “drat, these guys really made a Marvel game” was Juggernaut’s momentum setup. Made him play differently than any other character, and for sure made him play like Juggernaut.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I remember being blown away when they said "what if Deadpool just didn't have mp"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The first time using the motorcycle with Ghost Rider was excellent

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
When the game very first launched in beta and was bad and I played it, Wanda's chaos mechanic was part of why I wrote the game off forever and vowed never to play this piece of crap again.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
but when you get Chaos bar, things happen

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I still miss rolling around backwards as cyclops in the original limbo disasterthons

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I miss my 0 cooldown spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Inzombiac posted:

The first time using the motorcycle with Ghost Rider was excellent

the first time i turned mr fantastic into a wheel and rolled around i laughed for like 10 minutes and im still giggly about it