Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2885 »
Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My interest in the Saints Row 3 remaster just shot up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

I thought it was just going to be an upresed port and not something with improved graphical fidelity and assets. This is really good. Despite thinking 2 was the best of the bunch I still enjoyed 3 a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What was that character in DA:I that seemed to be designed to be intensely annoying? My god, they nailed it. Fortunately someone at BioWare took mercy on us and let you basically tell her to gently caress off forever the first time you meet. God, she seemed like peak BioWare appealing to fans with a certain character type. I enjoyed that game but it had some real low spots.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This Minecraft Dungeons game seems pretty weird. Like there's no mining or crafting. It'd be pretty cool if you could find hidden rooms and stuff by digging through walls or make your own arrows for your bow, or anything of the sort. As it is it just looks like kind of a bland dungeon crawler with a pretty cool looking art style. Jeff also said when he tweeted about the QL that he played a few more levels after this and was on the last level of the game, so it doesn't sound like there's much depth there. Still though, seems like a pretty good gamepass title to me.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The best wrpg in recent years (with combat because otherwise it's Disco) is Pillars 2 and basically nobody played it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

i like giant bomb dot com

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

They were trying to do a hot spot but then the stream crashed and now it's a rerun of clue crew.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

I think a better way to put it is that it seemed Dragon Age 2 had a heavy and maybe misguided focus on appealing to fandom culture. It felt like a game that was on its hands and knees begging people to make fanfiction and ship its characters, and while being receptive to fandom can be a good thing, DA2 was a bit offputting to some because it was trying so drat hard.

This puts it words better than I could. DA2 was 100% aimed at the tumblr crowd that reads/writes fan fiction and makes fan art of shipping Thor and Loki and Doctor Who and Benedict Cumberbatchís Sherlock.

And that crowd loving loved it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The best wrpg in recent years (with combat because otherwise it's Disco) is Pillars 2 and basically nobody played it.

That's what happens when the first game isn't very good. Sequels always suffer from the mistakes of the prior games.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Saints Row looks dope as hell

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

THIS is the Tumblrfication of Bioware.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

Good night, sweet prince, And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest

Dang, I guess you'll just have to get your fill of grimdark dude fantasy from every other CRPG ever made.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/sta...3632957445?s=20

This is very funny and cute.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Randallteal posted:

Dang, I guess you'll just have to get your fill of grimdark dude fantasy from every other CRPG ever made.

definitely none of that stuff in DA2

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Randallteal posted:

Merrill summoned demons.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jimbot posted:

My interest in the Saints Row 3 remaster just shot up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE

I thought it was just going to be an upresed port and not something with improved graphical fidelity and assets. This is really good. Despite thinking 2 was the best of the bunch I still enjoyed 3 a lot.

I watched Jeff play and it didnt look this good

did he load the wrong version??

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

They shouldn't have made the first game such an incredibly boring slog.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Mordiceius posted:

Bioware isn't perfect by any means but people like you are absolutely insufferable

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

He pronounces Mario the same way his dad does

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Sankis posted:

Bioware isn't perfect by any means but people like you are absolutely insufferable

Nah.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!

Switchblade Switcharoo

It is very cute.

Plus a little horrifying when you imagine Dan saying the same things and believing that would be a thing he would say.

"What's that guy all happy about?"

"I can't add"

"Big hands"

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Has Nancy Drew been knocked the gently caress out in every game?

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

https://twitter.com/OfficialSting/s...925795795472384

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Pretty crazy how big this thing has gotten in such a short amount of time. I tried watching it and thought it was cute and fun for about a minute and then realized I didn't want to watch an entire show's worth of it. I respect the hell out of him for getting this blown up so big though!

Edit: Also I love how much everyone (especially Jeff) is enjoying playing Minecraft. I wonder if Vinny knows about the automation mods. I played Technic (Tekkit?) many many years ago and I feel like he could get completely lost in that.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 22, 2020

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

The hell?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So when does Whitta sell this to Viacom for millions?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I wonder how Will Smith feels about this

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I wonder how Will Smith feels about this

Oh man I didn't even think of that. He started a whole friggin company and Gary just bought a couch and invited some friends over

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

explosivo posted:

Edit: Also I love how much everyone (especially Jeff) is enjoying playing Minecraft. I wonder if Vinny knows about the automation mods. I played Technic (Tekkit?) many many years ago and I feel like he could get completely lost in that.
Vinny would probably go nuts with SkyFactory 4.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Minecraft mods are so cool but they're always for versions of the game that are like 4 years old and it's a bummer. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it still sucks.

I'm currently trying to find some to play with on a server with some friends but all the big modpacks are so intense. I just want a few, cool mods. Having to learn 150 at a time seems a bit much.

Magna Kaser
Nov 4, 2004

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Oh man I didn't even think of that. He started a whole friggin company and Gary just bought a couch and invited some friends over

To be fair you donít need a vr rig to take part in or watch this so itís about one billion times more approachable.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mordiceius posted:

Hey remember how a woman who worked on DA2 got harassed so much she quit her job and basically dropped off the internet for a few years?

Go gently caress yourself, Mordiceius.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Personal Earpiece

Blockhouse posted:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

The only problem with this is finding out people internally though Merril was cute and didn't come across as a pod person.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

I buy Steam inventories, add me if interested!

Clever Betty

Blockhouse posted:

Hey remember how a woman who worked on DA2 got harassed so much she quit her job and basically dropped off the internet for a few years?

mord seems like kind of a miserable person tbh

Sankis posted:

Minecraft mods are so cool but they're always for versions of the game that are like 4 years old and it's a bummer. I'm sure there's a good reason for it but it still sucks.

I'm currently trying to find some to play with on a server with some friends but all the big modpacks are so intense. I just want a few, cool mods. Having to learn 150 at a time seems a bit much.
the reason is the bedrock edition isn't java and isn't really as moddable or maybe isn't moddable at all outside of minor things? I've not really done much with recent minecraft, since I generally stick to Life in the Woods: Renaissance. It's an old, old modpack and doesn't have a lot of newer stuff, but it captures the perfect feeling of calm, relaxed exploration and variety in world expansion without adding a ridiculous amount of technology-focused stuff, mostly related to exploration instead. plus it has some real nice dynamic lighting shaders built in that still look great.

that said, some of the recent mods are really nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoSNNGs72c&hd=1

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

mord seems like kind of a miserable person tbh

the reason is the bedrock edition isn't java and isn't really as moddable or maybe isn't moddable at all outside of minor things? I've not really done much with recent minecraft, since I generally stick to Life in the Woods: Renaissance. It's an old, old modpack and doesn't have a lot of newer stuff, but it captures the perfect feeling of calm, relaxed exploration and variety in world expansion without adding a ridiculous amount of technology-focused stuff, mostly related to exploration instead. plus it has some real nice dynamic lighting shaders built in that still look great.

that said, some of the recent mods are really nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDIuWv7ROi8&hd=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoSNNGs72c&hd=1

I'm talking about old versions of the Java version, not bedrock. I get that bedrock doesn't have that stuff. Java is still being actively updated as far as I can tell. It's on version 1.18.0 but all the mods are for 1.12 or whatever.

I played with some friends years ago and we were building machines to strip mine the land and building digital databases and nuclear power and it was pretty rad. I just want to find something similar thats not a modpack with 150 other mods.

Edit: Yay the minecraft streams are up. I love these + the astroneer stuff so much.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007
INSOLENT

Grimey Drawer

It's because Minecraft doesn't have a modding API so dedicated fans have to reverse engineer the Java version and hack a modding API into the game where none exists.

And that means major changes to Minecraft's internals (like, for example, how water works) necessitates lots of reverse engineering and API updates.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jeff's Smash Bros thing on the bombcast was barely coherent and incredibly dumb, it's like he's completely lost the ability to understand the concept of opinions, or that people's might differ from his but are still valid.

Why do people keep playing this game that they love when they prefer to tweak the in-game settings rather than booting it up and not altering the configuration? They should stop playing it entirely and play something else. What the gently caress?

It was like his loving nonsense about Streets of Rage 4's music. That game has music that's basically like the SoR2 music but not coming out of a Genesis sound chip, which he says isn't the right thing to do for reasons he can't articulate. So Jason says well they put the old music in it too as an option, to which Jeff replies that that's an admission that the regular music is bad (it isn't) so they shouldn't do that either. Jason was right that Jeff originally said they shouldn't even bother if they don't get the original composers, but then they did get them and he basically said "no, not like that!" I don't care that he doesn't like SoR4, but I do care that he shits all over Jason's enthusiasm with whatever bullshit comes into his mind at the time.

He's just yelling at clouds at this point. I don't come to GB for well reasoned video game critiques by any stretch but I don't come for 15 minute long rants about not understanding why somebody else would care about something Jeff doesn't, either.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Akuma posted:

He's just yelling at clouds at this point. I don't come to GB for well reasoned video game critiques by any stretch but I don't come for 15 minute long rants about not understanding why somebody else would care about something Jeff doesn't, either.

I'm not quite at the same level as you about it but yeah, was kind of odd. I mainly found it kind of amusing I guess? Like when he goes "well they should just play something they ACTUALLY like!" and Ben quietly goes "they.... are?" in a kind incredulous "I am tentatively saying a very obvious thing" way really tickled me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

SoR4 also slaps hard so I'm not even sure what Jeff's on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dias posted:

SoR4 also slaps hard so I'm not even sure what Jeff's on about.

"I'm not even sure what Jeff's on about" is like a summary of every video game opinion Jeff has had in 2020

«2885 »