Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2885 »
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 2, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

thebardyspoon posted:

Like when he goes "well they should just play something they ACTUALLY like!"

Yeah like super mario bros special

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

I know Fortnite and the like have been tinkering with the concept of a season for marketing purposes but your Covid side project that you started a month ago doesn't need a "Season 2" yet, Gary.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

Blockhouse posted:

"I'm not even sure what Jeff's on about" is like a summary of every video game opinion Jeff has had in 2020

Jeff's a really cool dude but he's definitely not someone I look to when I want Good Videogame Opinions, and that's been true for a while. There's a reason I was surprised when he got into Nier: A.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I wish I didnít suck at SoR4. I keep game overing all the time. ☹️

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

hcreight posted:

I know Fortnite and the like have been tinkering with the concept of a season for marketing purposes but your Covid side project that you started a month ago doesn't need a "Season 2" yet, Gary.

It's probably gonna go away when everybody goes back to work, might as well go nuts

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Dias posted:

Jeff's a really cool dude but he's definitely not someone I look to when I want Good Videogame Opinions, and that's been true for a while. There's a reason I was surprised when he got into Nier: A.

Iíve felt the same way about him once they went to Viacom. Might even just be coincidental, but his gaming opinions (save for most of his retro ones) have been ďgrumpy old manĒ since.

I kind of like the transformation to be honest.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Jeff's gaming opinions have been pretty static and he's hated Smash games since the first bombcasts I listened to over 10 years ago (probably hated them before that too).

He has a clear taste in games which helps when you know if you should listen to his opinions or disregard them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

There's a difference between "I hate Smash games" and the absolutely loving bonkers "if you have to modify a game's default settings you should play something else" stance he takes in this argument

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 23, 2020

Evil Benius
Sep 7, 2011

Dias posted:

SoR4 also slaps hard so I'm not even sure what Jeff's on about.

Yeah I tend to put the sound down on a lot of games so I can multitask, but not that one.

Edit:

Blockhouse posted:

There's a difference between "I hate Smash games" and the absolutely loving bonkers "if you have to modify a game's default settings you should play something else" stance he takes in this argument

Especially coming from someone that constantly uses Cheat Engine to have fun with games. I know he likes to see them "break", but come on.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think the other piece of offense was that the competitive scene wasn't based on default modes but on no items modes that could be called a limited version of the original game as designed and shipped.

I guess the proper comparison is if you were to run EVO with Street Fighter V but turn off blocking.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

harperdc posted:

I think the other piece of offense was that the competitive scene wasn't based on default modes but on no items modes that could be called a limited version of the original game as designed and shipped.

I guess the proper comparison is if you were to run EVO with Street Fighter V but turn off blocking.

That is something that has always baffled me, as someone who can't get into Smash. For the people that only enjoy competitive no items smash I do understand the sentiment of "they're not making the game you actually want/enjoy."

But I admit it's a bad opinion. If no items modes have the same amount of fit and finish as regular then my argument falls apart.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

harperdc posted:

Kind of, I guess? I don't really agree but that's also, like, a conversation you could have while Jeff's point started at "Smash shouldn't be a competitive game" and then doubling and tripling down when he couldn't make a cognizant argument (what the gently caress was that Uno thing??) until it devolved into "game options are bad", just so he could try and get one over on Ben.

It felt very weird. Maybe because I expect a nearly 40 year old man who has spent most of his life covering video games and being immersed in them to have a better skill at present his position than some rando game forum jackass.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Jeff is nearly 50, not 40.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Akuma posted:

Jeff's Smash Bros thing on the bombcast was barely coherent and incredibly dumb, it's like he's completely lost the ability to understand the concept of opinions, or that people's might differ from his but are still valid.

Why do people keep playing this game that they love when they prefer to tweak the in-game settings rather than booting it up and not altering the configuration? They should stop playing it entirely and play something else. What the gently caress?

It was like his loving nonsense about Streets of Rage 4's music. That game has music that's basically like the SoR2 music but not coming out of a Genesis sound chip, which he says isn't the right thing to do for reasons he can't articulate. So Jason says well they put the old music in it too as an option, to which Jeff replies that that's an admission that the regular music is bad (it isn't) so they shouldn't do that either. Jason was right that Jeff originally said they shouldn't even bother if they don't get the original composers, but then they did get them and he basically said "no, not like that!" I don't care that he doesn't like SoR4, but I do care that he shits all over Jason's enthusiasm with whatever bullshit comes into his mind at the time.

He's just yelling at clouds at this point. I don't come to GB for well reasoned video game critiques by any stretch but I don't come for 15 minute long rants about not understanding why somebody else would care about something Jeff doesn't, either.

Literally the old SOR composer was like ďyeah I canít just do the same thing I must evolveĒ

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Jeff is nearly 50, not 40.

Oh, right.

I'm so old.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 2, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Blockhouse posted:

Maybe because I expect a nearly 40 year old man who has spent most of his life covering video games and being immersed in them to have a better skill at present his position than some rando game forum jackass.

Oh are we talking about Ryckert

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is one of the many times it would have been great to still have Ryan. If I remember right he was a huge fan of the Saints Row series and he would have had a fun take on it.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfniDDrACtU

Jeff must have forgotten how much he enjoyed the original version

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 23, 2020

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Oh are we talking about Ryckert

Hey I listened to Dan talk about RDR2 during Game of the Year he's actually able to present a position when he really tries!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The last two Smash games have had 1v1 no items as a default online option, it's pretty recognized by the devs as a "normal" playstyle at this point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

This is one of the many times it would have been great to still have Ryan. If I remember right he was a huge fan of the Saints Row series and he would have had a fun take on it.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfniDDrACtU

Does Jeff not like the Remaster?

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

I think the newborn and lockdown have combined to make jeff extra grognardy, he seems to be less gregarious and more mean than usual in expressing his insane opinions about things. I wish him the best, but yeah, some other people have definitely shone during the lockdown homestreamstravaganza

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I wish I didnít suck at SoR4. I keep game overing all the time. ☹️
I was doing fairly okay but just get filtered to gently caress at the elevator section, since it's full of enemies that send you flying. I'm not good either, but if i had a tip it'd be to use the Y specials to extend your combos on enemies and juggle them against the side of the screen, since the 'gamble' is only one or two regular attacks of damage to regain.

edit: one part that was completely unexplained to me (iirc) but is incredibly important is that a neutral jump, as in no direction input, is all i-frames. So it's super useful for dodging the shield guys or martial artists to wait for an opening.

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 23, 2020

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Austin also didnít like SoR4 because of the music so itís not just old man Jeff.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Jeff and Ben were both right in that argument. It's just their opinions.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Does Jeff not like the Remaster?

I think most of the negative comments were about poor console performance in the new quick look. He does jokingly say the game is good a few times after he runs into the more memorable stuff in the beginning stages of the story. The poor performance seems to sour his view though.

From the reviews I've seen so far it looks like PC is the version you want to play if you want it to 'feel' right.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Streets of Rage style games are mostly about presentation, so if he thinks it looks ugly and that the music isnít anything special there isnít much left but a kinda mediocre Character Action game.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005
HA HA! I'm using the custom title!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I know the thread is all about dunking on Jeff's bad takes right now, but this one just seems wrong.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WTFBEES posted:

I know the thread is all about dunking on Jeff's bad takes right now, but this one just seems wrong.

He didn't like the remaster even though apparently some serious work went into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ2Us_C1FTE#t=1094s

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I can kinda understand you look at it and go huh doesn't look like they changed much. I think it's pretty common for your memory of a game and the facts of a game to not line up. When you see it side by side like in the DF video you go oh wow they actually did a ton. I've been playing it on PC and really enjoying it besides a few nagging issues. No borderless windowed mode is just a bizarre omission for a PC game in 2020.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cheesetriangles posted:

I can kinda understand you look at it and go huh doesn't look like they changed much. I think it's pretty common for your memory of a game and the facts of a game to not line up. When you see it side by side like in the DF video you go oh wow they actually did a ton. I've been playing it on PC and really enjoying it besides a few nagging issues. No borderless windowed mode is just a bizarre omission for a PC game in 2020.

The DF guy in the video even noted how it looked pretty much like he remembered and it wasn't until he booted up the original to record it that he realized how much had been done.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Jeff is still great on the Hotspot and the Minecraft streams

I think he's just bummed out because it's been such a slow period of releases and usually he'd be busy right now gearing up for an E3 that isn't happening. He's been doing E3 for like 20 straight years? And now there's just so much uncertainty, it must really suck.

Fallom
Sep 6, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brad complaining about the loot in Minecraft: Dungeons yet refusing to equip the better weapons he gets is driving me crazy (disclaimer: in a jokey Internet way not a real way)

Fallom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 23, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

duck trucker posted:

Jeff and Ben were both right in that argument. It's just their opinions.
Jeff's opinion was "people should stop playing this game and play something else" because he doesn't understand how or why they enjoy it. That's a lovely opinion. Not all opinions are created equal, they don't all have the same substance or weight.

Hakkesshu
Nov 3, 2009

SOR 4's soundtrack is incredibly generic and forgettable and the idea that it is an evolution is laughable. Jeff is extremely correct.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

Geezer

I posted about this before but I was listening to an old bombcast where they talk about PT, and Jeff doesn't understand how people can be immersed enough to be scared or unsettled by horror games or movies. He was either genuinely exasperated trying to understand, or hamming it up so as not to look like a scaredy cat. I love the guy but he is a big ol weirdo with his videogame opinions sometimes.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cool guys don't get into things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I posted about this before but I was listening to an old bombcast where they talk about PT, and Jeff doesn't understand how people can be immersed enough to be scared or unsettled by horror games or movies. He was either genuinely exasperated trying to understand, or hamming it up so as not to look like a scaredy cat. I love the guy but he is a big ol weirdo with his videogame opinions sometimes.

That one I can personally understand since I can't get immersed in video games or movies either. Horror stuff does nothing for me.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

Geezer

Andrast posted:

That one I can personally understand since I can't get immersed in video games or movies either. Horror stuff does nothing for me.

Yeah but I'm sure you can understand that others do get immersed enough. He was acting as if it's an absolutely crazy concept, saying stuff like, "but it's just a video game! nothing is going to come out of the tv to get you!"

Fallom
Sep 6, 2008

Fun Shoe

I donít think itís weird to not get immersed in things the same way other people do but itís super weird to say you donít understand how someone could have a different response.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Yeah but I'm sure you can understand that others do get immersed enough. He was acting as if it's an absolutely crazy concept, saying stuff like, "but it's just a video game! nothing is going to come out of the tv to get you!"

Oh sure, I'm not going full Jeff here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I only recently realized I /wasn't/ immersed like other people are. I figured I was "getting into" things fine and most things just suck too much to get a reaction. Nope, turns out I was just completely failing to be immersed.

«2885 »