Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2891 »
turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

Akuma posted:

Jeff's opinion was "people should stop playing this game and play something else" because he doesn't understand how or why they enjoy it. That's a lovely opinion. Not all opinions are created equal, they don't all have the same substance or weight.

Yeah when he said that I was baffled. Like dude, even in professional sports they change the rules all the time. And some rules make more sense for serious competition. It's fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

You can easily track a lot of jeff's opinions from his inability to have immersion in media, and never revisiting old things ever. (He admitted he would never play Ocarina of Time again because he'd rather keep the 10 in his memory than probably disliking it on a replay)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What, there's hours and hours of content on the site of Jeff going back and playing old games again.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

I posted about this before but I was listening to an old bombcast where they talk about PT, and Jeff doesn't understand how people can be immersed enough to be scared or unsettled by horror games or movies. He was either genuinely exasperated trying to understand, or hamming it up so as not to look like a scaredy cat. I love the guy but he is a big ol weirdo with his videogame opinions sometimes.

He also didn't understand why people were so invested in keeping it playable when it was removed since he only saw it as a marketing thing for Silent Hills and didn't seem to get that people liked it as a horror game in its own right. There's a lot of modern game culture Jeff doesn't seem to get, and being heavily invested in one game is definitely one of those. Presumably because he's spent his game-playing life jumping constantly from game to game and has always had to move on to other stuff for his job.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Akuma posted:

What, there's hours and hours of content on the site of Jeff going back and playing old games again.

Old games that interest Jeff aren't the same that interest that poster. He mentions OoT which was seminal for a lot of people, Jeff isn't really that much into it like everyone else is and thats fine.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Saints Row 3 was a great game in itís time of 2011. In 2020, I could not care less.

e: a secondary lol to anyone who cares about a remaster at this point. I wish I had enough free time to care that a SR3 remaster is a thing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I tried to watch the quicklook of the game and it was turn of the decade edgy trash. That's the risk you take when trying to be on the edge. The game quickly becomes dated as something that was funny ten years ago is now uncouth and not funny.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Saints row the third is still good yíall some haters fr

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

still my no.1

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Saints row the third is still good yíall some haters fr

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Apparently the remaster is epic exclusive for a year?

All the other games in the series are on my steam account and I'm not on fire to play it right away so I'll just wait until it's cheap on steam a year from now

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sankis posted:

I'm talking about old versions of the Java version, not bedrock. I get that bedrock doesn't have that stuff. Java is still being actively updated as far as I can tell. It's on version 1.18.0 but all the mods are for 1.12 or whatever.
Just wanted you to know you're not alone in hating this particular aspect of Minecraft modding. What's really unfortunate is that Terraria is now undergoing the same problem. Re-Logic advertised the release of tmodloader (which is essentially Terraria's required API to make mods work) on Steam coinciding with the final major patch, 1.4. What Re-Logic failed to do was provide the tmodloader devs or mod creators an advanced version of 1.4 and a now mildly-indignant tmodloader dev has said it will take months before 1.4 will get mods due to the many changes tmodloader will have to go through in order to support it. So, if you want to play Terraria with mods, you're playing the 5 year old 1.3.5.3 version and that's not even the 64 bit version so if you load in just a few too many mods, you'll get some extreme slowdown with your game.

It's a clusterfuck that basically nobody is reporting about and I have to guess it's because everyone's used to this kind of poo poo happening via Minecraft. Either that or nobody cares and I'm shouting at clouds. (I mean, I'm not that angry about a 10 dollar decade-old game getting major free updates but failing to support mods with it)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 23, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Minecraft is weird that there are two totally different versions and each one is similar but has different rules and content. The Java version seems to get better stuff.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah, I thought for awhile it was just bedrock is the current game and Java the legacy where stuff from bedrock will trickle down into it but they both seem to get the major updates and they seem way more open to experimenting with Java. There's also a ton of little differences all over the place from balance to actual content.

Such a strange thing. I guess Java still has a large enough population that they need to keep working on it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Well it took me literally being unable to leave my house but I beat FF14, more than a year after starting it

Shadowbringers is really good! And I canít believe they make you go through everything else to get there!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

I buy Steam inventories, add me if interested!

Clever Betty

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

That is something that has always baffled me, as someone who can't get into Smash. For the people that only enjoy competitive no items smash I do understand the sentiment of "they're not making the game you actually want/enjoy."

But I admit it's a bad opinion. If no items modes have the same amount of fit and finish as regular then my argument falls apart.
I've gotten all in on watching competitive smash ultimate. when matches are good, they are really good.

also, Le'Veon Bell is a pro smash player, he's really good at Megaman. he even put in 10 grand as the prize pool for a recent online tournament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDzUVCqlYWQ&hd=1

I've been watching a bunch of comp smash tourneys lately and made a playlist of matches I enjoyed. I tend to watch them at 1.25x speed(I watch most stuff at that speed generally), imo it flows a lot smoother in smash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtgSs61cRY&hd=1

I love me a good stomp sometimes, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtRfP-4NtU&hd=1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really like watching smash tournaments but have stopped when they switched to online tournaments honestly. The players donít really play the same and itís not as exciting

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

I buy Steam inventories, add me if interested!

Clever Betty

yeah, I get it, people gently caress up more often because of lag. but there's still plenty of legit great matches to be seen, and you see more characters because some are more viable on wifi than they are with zero lag.

and then you have sonic, who is the worst fighting game character ever

Zyklon B Zombie
Feb 13, 2005

Circling Overland

Soiled Meat

I can kind of see where Jeff is coming from in that if you start listening to competitive players and tuning stuff to them it can make things worse for the mass fans. This obviously doesn't apply to Smash because it sells so well, but I think laser-focused on the competitive scene has kept fighting games a lot more niche than they could have been.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

I SURVIVED THE AWFUL BLOCK, AGDQ 2018

Sextro posted:

I only recently realized I /wasn't/ immersed like other people are. I figured I was "getting into" things fine and most things just suck too much to get a reaction. Nope, turns out I was just completely failing to be immersed.

hi im permabanned poster yoshistomper58

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

SR3? Whatever, I'm looking forward to the SR2 fix-up they are doing. I wanna be an obese, cockney, red-headed man in tailcoat and top hat again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

still my no.1

SR2 best SR.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well it took me literally being unable to leave my house but I beat FF14, more than a year after starting it

Shadowbringers is really good! And I can’t believe they make you go through everything else to get there!

A lot of those story beats wouldn't have hit as hard without everything that came before imo.

Like having a teenager ask how you can find the willpower to keep fighting even when there are no possible routes to victory and you personally are hours from death and being able to respond with "Fate can be cruel, but a smile better suits a hero" wouldn't have been as effective without having played heavensward.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

A lot of those story beats wouldn't have hit as hard without everything that came before imo.

Like having a teenager ask how you can find the willpower to keep fighting even when there are no possible routes to victory and you personally are hours from death and being able to respond with "Fate can be cruel, but a smile better suits a hero" wouldn't have been as effective without having played heavensward.

why would you bring the pain back

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Baller Time posted:

SR3? Whatever, I'm looking forward to the SR2 fix-up they are doing. I wanna be an obese, cockney, red-headed man in tailcoat and top hat again.

Could never get the game to work on my pc and it always pissed me off. Hoping the fix comes sometime soon

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

I can't remember
what she came here for

I can't remember
much of anything
anymore

Shredded Hen

The only real good things I remember about SR3 are the mission where you parachute to Kanye's Power (which was in the Quick Look) and playing as a toilet.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The "if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it" cutscene is legit in the top 3 moments I have ever been most excited in a video game

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Rageaholic posted:

The only real good things I remember about SR3 are the mission where you parachute to Kanye's Power (which was in the Quick Look) and playing as a toilet.

It also has the greatest garage music of all time.

It's a small category, sure, but that song's the fuckin' best.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

shadowbringers fuckin rules

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Absolutely, but I also donít blame people at all who skip ahead. 300+ hours to get to the best part is quite a lot, If youíre an RPG player you can play 5-6 full games generally. And the way the FF14 story is structured there are so many natural break points where you finish an expansion or big patch and just nothing happens again for a while - you are really playing a series of games back to back.

I also donít know if people remember 5 year old callbacks - I realized all of them because I played through 6 years of story in a year. But that also meant I had to do 6 years of fetch quest msq bullshit in a year and man does that burn you out at parts

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

GlenMR posted:

It also has the greatest garage music of all time.

It's a small category, sure, but that song's the fuckin' best.
You remember the name?

I only recall a lot of poo poo-tier trap music from the short time I played.

Der Shovel
Dec 26, 2003

Pause post!

esperterra posted:

SR2 best SR.

I got a ton of poo poo back in the day when I said in my review that Saints Row 2 was a better GTA (and a better game) than GTA 4. We're talking hundreds of SUPER UPSET comments and emails.

I still stand by that opinion.

E:

woodenchicken posted:

You remember the name?

I only recall a lot of poo poo-tier trap music from the short time I played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuYMBsxU2XI

I'm gonna assume it's this because this is objectively the best song

Der Shovel fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 24, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jumping out of a helicopter to "Power" to assault a high rise penthouse is very 2011 but it gave me a good laugh at the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhHCOQntZg

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Massive chunks of SR3 haven't aged well but the gameplay is still fantastic, the world is a ton of fun, and most importantly it is without question a better game than loving Skyrim

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

Dark Souls was the best game of 2011

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

I got a ton of poo poo back in the day when I said in my review that Saints Row 2 was a better GTA (and a better game) than GTA 4. We're talking hundreds of SUPER UPSET comments and emails.

I still stand by that opinion.

Still got a link to that review? Would love to read it

Overbite posted:

Absolutely.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

"GTA IV is a better technical achievement, SR2 is more fun to play" was a pretty common sentiment circa 2009-10, Rockstar fanboys notwithstanding. In fact I'm not sure SR3 gets made if 2 didn't win a lot of people over.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

SR2 was wonderful, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the un-loving of the PC version now that they have the source code. I know it's possible to easily get it up and running with mods, and I have, but still. SR2's world was so fleshed out, I remember it being kind of a bummer I couldn't go into more interiors in SR3.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

The biggest mistake in saints row history was not getting mr.sheffield back

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Overbite posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Overbite posted:

Wow, didn't realize 2011 was such a rough year.

«2891 »