Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie

In a gift exchange over Christmas, I obtained a gift package of three items.

Truffle oil.

Some poorly lit pasta sauce.

And of course, the thing you came here for, a Weston traditional style pasta machine with SEVEN THICKNESS SETTINGS.

I have generally not cooked in my life. This is going to be a bit of an adventure. I am open to pasta suggestions but let's not go crazy here. My first question, probably a no-brainer, is this: can I just substitute my truffle oil into this recipe? Or heck, do you guys have a simple recipe?

I'll get the ingredients tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Truffle oil is a flavoring oil, not a cooking oil. You put it on your food last when you want it to smell like gym socks

You should have olive oil around the house? I've made noodles a few times, using the serious eats recipe

joke_explainer

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/01/fresh-egg-pasta.html

joke_explainer

Making pasta sauce is way easier than making pasta. Want to make your own sauce? Do you have an immersion blender?

Do you have any parmesan cheese in a brick?

joke_explainer

You can do this! It'll be fun and you'll learn so much! Maybe you'll enjoy it so much you'll end up making artisanal pastas for your family all the time!

I recommend we start with fettuccini.

Scaly Haylie

All right, slow down. Don't get me wrong - that recipe looks extremely good and extremely doable, I just have the one day off tomorrow and I want to just whip up some quick and dirty pasta before D&D. I'd be happy to try the serious eats recipe on my "weekend" which is Monday/Tuesday.

I have neither an immersion blender nor a brick of parmesan, and mixing in a bowl would probably be the most ideal for me this first time.

joke_explainer posted:

Truffle oil is a flavoring oil, not a cooking oil. You put it on your food last when you want it to smell like gym socks

Oh, okay. The label made me think it was interchangeable with olive oil, I guess, but it is pretty small for cooking oil quantities.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 20, 2017

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

I recommend we start with fettuccini.

:frogon:

joke_explainer

Follow the linked, yolk-heavy recipe and then when your pasta machine makes nice sheets you cut it into ribbons, it's the simplest pasta

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I'm eating pasta right the gently caress now!

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

Follow the linked, yolk-heavy recipe and then when your pasta machine makes nice sheets you cut it into ribbons, it's the simplest pasta

Having surveyed the kitchen I believe I can do this. Just two questions:
  • How do I get the yolks? Simply spoon them out?
  • What exactly is folding? How much additional flour do I need? Is a bench knife strictly necessary?

...okay that was more than two questions, I just want to idiot-proof this :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 20, 2017

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Having surveyed the kitchen I believe I can do this. Just two questions:
  • How do I get the yolks? Simply spoon them out?
  • What exactly is folding? How much additional flour do I need? Is a bench knife strictly necessary?

...okay that was more than two questions, I just want to idiot-proof this :ohdear:

You're a smart guy and very capable of problem solving. The amount of additional flour is a function of how the dough behaves. The definition of 'behaving dough' is something you kind of have to learn from experience. It's not a lot, but it is never precise.

To separate yolks, the easiest method I know is to just crack the egg, then transfer the liquid contents of the eggs back and forth in the shells, spilling the whites in the sink or whatever while you do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAGX-54iR30

Here is a good video for it.

A common 'lifehack' published about this is using a water bottle to just suck up the yolk; the pressure will strip the white. Don't do this dumb poo poo. There is no reason to waste a water bottle for this, it is very easy to to by hand and a skill that is important for hundreds of recipes.

If the back-and-forth method doesn't work well for you, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BWbir6m2eI

"Bench" knife isn't essential, any tool to separate the dough will work, a regular knife, etc. Just if you work with doughs often, a flat piece of metal with a handle comes in handy.

They're using a bench knife to fold the dough here because it is very sticky. You can probably find some way to do it. Pasta ends up being a very dense dough. Gluten links with gluten, forming long chains of gluten. In bread, this forms the interior structure; we let it link to a carefully controlled point to build up a structure in the bread, and we let the yeast respirate and excrete to stretch that structure and form voids within the bread. A proper bread will have a beautiful translucent cell wall in the interior.

But pasta is a different thing. You are tightly linking those gluten strands, so tight nothing can get between them. Eventually they are basically all linked together. This gives the 'toothsome' quality to the pasta, the qualities of texture that people love it for.

So folding is just like it sounds, like you have a piece of paper; you sprinkle some flour, fold the dough over itself, some more, fold the dough, etc, ending up with a craggy ball, like pictured here:

With proper resting and kneading, you have something ready to make pasta from! You roll it, then use your pasta machine to complete the sheet, rolling the thinned layer of pasta through it multiple times for the ultimate stage in compacting and kneading it all. Then you run it through the machine again to cut it, or if your machine can't cut fettucini, you cut it by hand with a sharp knife.

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Try it al dente! It gives the pasta a fighting chance...

----------------
i honestly believe you are tripping right now.

Scaly Haylie

Folding is folding? Huh, you learn something every day.

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
you can do it liz wiz... pasta is so good. and if you can make pasta you can do noodles too. and potatoes. and some other veggies and probably rice too, and hey, what's this letter in your postbox all of a sudden? your first michelin star.

~sig~

BoldFrankensteinMir

I have that very pasta roller, OP, and have spent about a year now learning how to use it. I can never go back to store-bought.

Tricks I've learned: the dough should be drier than you think it should be at every stage. Going through the rollers the first time it should crumble and barely be rollable. I find for thin noodles like spaghetti a finer semolina flour is helpful, but for lasagna regular all-purpose flour is fine.

Here's my no-frills lasagna noodles recipe: one egg per cup of flour, I make a four cup recipe that serves five people. Add less water than you think you need, like a teaspoon or two depending on altitude. Mix, proof for 30 minutes, then break off chunks and roll them as you build the dish layer by layer, keeping the dough under a cloth to prevent drying. It's delicious and makes picture-perfect strata.

Good noodlecraft to you, oh saurian sauceror.

Scaly Haylie

Whoops, slept in. Went out and secured the ingredients - all we lacked was flour as it turns out - and I'll be getting to it in a little over half an hour.

SIDS Vicious

can't wait to see the pasta making process

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Al Dente or Go Home!

----------------

Scaly Haylie

Okay, quick fact check - the recipe calls for "10 ounces (about 2 cups) all-purpose flour". I know that doesn't add up, so which is it?

Ein cooler Typ

by FactsAreUseless
2 cups of flour weighs 10 ounces

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

10 ounces of flour is by weight. flour is very light but also settles a lot. stir your flour in the bag with a large serving spoon and use that to scoop it into your measuring cup. don't pack it down, just add it in, then lightly level it off with the handle. easy peasy.

Scaly Haylie

Oh, okay. So just all the way up to the 2 cup line, then?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

yep. don't tap it down though, save the tamping for brown sugar. you want flour to be really loose in the cup.

Manifisto

unless of course you have a kitchen scale. it's always better to do ingredients by weight, especially with flour, if the recipe specifies weights. if you don't have a kitchen scale that's cool, it will probably be fine, but the scale helps idiot-proof things a bit.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

yep. don't tap it down though, save the tamping for brown sugar. you want flour to be really loose in the cup.

why does brown sugar taste so good, though?

joke_explainer

no digital scale? That will make things so much easier for you.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

why does brown sugar taste so good, though?

black tar heroin. that's why it's brown, you see.

Scaly Haylie

Yolk_eggsplainer's trick proved simple, yet effective. One of the yolks got damaged somewhere along the way but oh well.

I am bad at flour.

Manifisto

Lizard Wizard posted:

I am bad at flour.

since you are requesting guidance . . .

that measuring cup is a liquid measure. it doesn't work right for dry ingredients. you need the regular old plastic/metal kind for flour.

Scaly Haylie

...oh. Well, I've already manhandled my dough.

It waits now in its plastic wrap shell.

Scaly Haylie

So, was that too much flour or too little?

Scaly Haylie

I'm doughing it. I'm making this flatten.

Manifisto

hmm, it's a little hard to say, and it probably doesn't matter too much for this type of recipe. so don't worry about it!

for future reference, with a dry measuring cup, you can fill it exactly full by leveling it off (e.g. with the back of a knife). with a liquid measuring cup, you can't accurately level it off and you might have put in too much or too little.

Robot Made of Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm doughing it. I'm making this flatten.

That looks very flat, LizWiz. Good going!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

joke_explainer

Looking good. That craggy ball earlier looked about right. Keep it up. Run it through that machine, fold it over, run it through again, etc, until it's right. Then feed it through on the fettuccini setting to cut it, or cut it with a knife! Pasta time!

Be sure to follow instructions to cook fresh pasta. It cooks much faster than dry pasta. Sample it as you go to make sure it's not getting overcooked. As you cook, it slowly gets more yielding, while firming up in some ways, and you want it just at that apex of the curve where it's firmly set yet yielding, a quality which one poster he keeps repeating is 'al dente'. 'To the tooth'.

Scaly Haylie

Papa wizard helps lend an extra set of hands as we cut the pasta, and walks me through boiling and proper salting of my water.

Our brave noodles, separated a bit while the water comes to a boil and the sauce warms.

Post-boiling and draining. We sample the noodles and agree that they are "al dente", having cooked them for 1 minute, 45 seconds.

Too much sauce imo, but pasta accomplished!

joke_explainer

Way to go. They look excellent, though not quite entirely smooth textured. More kneading beforehand / more running through the rollers can help your noodles look more uniform.

Great job still though, if they were tasty. Next time, make your own sauce! Also, toss your noodles in a little olive oil fresh in the colander, and put a small amount of pasta water in your sauce. I forget why you do that. Its good though.

A great recipe is just those noodles + bunch of butter and parmesan and pepper and lemon juice all mixed up

Piso Mojado

Lizard Wizard posted:

In a gift exchange over Christmas, I obtained a gift package of three items.

Truffle oil.

Some poorly lit pasta sauce.

And of course, the thing you came here for, a Weston traditional style pasta machine with SEVEN THICKNESS SETTINGS.

I have generally not cooked in my life. This is going to be a bit of an adventure. I am open to pasta suggestions but let's not go crazy here. My first question, probably a no-brainer, is this: can I just substitute my truffle oil into this recipe? Or heck, do you guys have a simple recipe?

I'll get the ingredients tomorrow.

lizwiz with the top notch troll :discourse:

Robot Made of Meat

Those noodles look good, but please make your own sauce next time!

Still, would definitely eat.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuulPodSaveAmerica
this was a wild ride

----------------

• Locked thread