Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasure bear

let's pasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Such pasta.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

treasure bear

Lizard Wizard posted:

Too much sauce imo, but pasta accomplished!

Some notes on presentation:

1) sauce should be entirely inside the bowl, if it's outside the bowl, you've messed up.
2) the enhanced mobility of synthetic humanoids is distressing to organics, minimise displays of double jointedness in food pics
3) lighting

but thank you for sharing this with us

Robot Made of Meat

4) No mice on the table.

Manifisto

looks good liz wiz, kudos for taking it on

Scaly Haylie

I added about a fistful of mozzarella to the remaining pasta. It's much better now.

Robot Made of Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I added about a fistful of mozzarella to the remaining pasta. It's much better now.

There are few things that a fistful of mozzarella can't improve.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

another BYOB success sotry!

lizwiz will now be known as Chef BYOB

Scaly Haylie

Gex Boyardee.

alnilam

Robot Made of Meat posted:

There are few things that a fistful of mozzarella can't improve.

treasure bear

check out tomato and mascarpone

alnilam

Congrats. I hope you learned that it's well within your ability to make delicious food!

The advice people gave about specifics is something to keep in mind, but don't sweat it too much, the great thing about food is you can be imperfect and it will still be good! Do what you feel comfy with, and aim to slowly improve steps of the process over time

Scaly Haylie

I think I might keep this thread up for future pasta endeavors. Also sorry to be a goober but does anyone know how to make ramen dough? I've heard that proper homemade ramen is really good.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I want to make pasta now. I'ma get one of those machines

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I might keep this thread up for future pasta endeavors. Also sorry to be a goober but does anyone know how to make ramen dough? I've heard that proper homemade ramen is really good.

It's something you could practice for years and still screw up constantly if you're talking hand-pulled! But you can make ramen with a very dense dough, some alkali water, and the spaghetti setting on your pasta machine. It's close enough. My friend's mom made udon by putting the dough in a freezer bag, then putting it on the floor on a towel, then another towel on top of it, and stepping on it to knead it, then opening, folding, and doing it again, slowly building up a tighter and a tighter dough, resting, then doing it again.

I'd probably go for perfecting a broth first, since you can use that in more things. Here's the food lab on tonkotsu (pork bone) broth: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

joke_explainer

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I want to make pasta now. I'ma get one of those machines

do you have a kitchenaid mixer? If so, there's relatively inexpensive pasta things on them that really work well.

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer posted:

It's something you could practice for years and still screw up constantly if you're talking hand-pulled! But you can make ramen with a very dense dough, some alkali water, and the spaghetti setting on your pasta machine. It's close enough. My friend's mom made udon by putting the dough in a freezer bag, then putting it on the floor on a towel, then another towel on top of it, and stepping on it to knead it, then opening, folding, and doing it again, slowly building up a tighter and a tighter dough, resting, then doing it again.

I'd probably go for perfecting a broth first, since you can use that in more things. Here's the food lab on tonkotsu (pork bone) broth: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/how-to-make-tonkotsu-ramen-broth-at-home-recipe.html

Now, at the risk of sounding like a simpleton, does the alkali water come into play during the boiling or earlier in this scenario?

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Now, at the risk of sounding like a simpleton, does the alkali water come into play during the boiling or earlier in this scenario?

This is actually a very insightful question! It's just in the formation of the dough. It gives the dough its characteristic yellow tint and affects the end flavor. I think there's some additives you could use, but the water here is naturally slightly alkali (Portland) and it works pretty well for it, my udon came out really good.

On the hand-pulled ramen. It requires an insane amount of muscle memory and understanding of dough to reach the right stage, where the change in the dough is tangible from second to second as you manipulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sd47uG8Vts

Robot Made of Meat

If the movie Tampopo can be believed, Japanese noodles are extremely difficult to make correctly. On the up side, you can have many amusing adventures learning how.

Scaly Haylie

considering asking for a title change so other people can use the thread to chronicle their noodling

"byob amateur noodle thread - just dough it"

i'm sure y'all can come up with something better

joke_explainer posted:

This is actually a very insightful question! It's just in the formation of the dough. It gives the dough its characteristic yellow tint and affects the end flavor. I think there's some additives you could use, but the water here is naturally slightly alkali (Portland) and it works pretty well for it, my udon came out really good.

i was talking about it with a friend and they said something about a lye solution???

Scaly Haylie

joke_explainer, if you're still there let's talk sauce, with the disclaimer that i don't have an immersion blender.

Robot Made of Meat

Immersion blenders are nice toys, but remember that people have been making amazing sauce since WAY before the 90s.

Scaly Haylie

I'll be honest, I want to make pasta puttanesca but I'm worried about the difficulty of fileting anchovies - that, and I'm not sure if the same dough would work for spaghetti and how much would make a pound as the recipe I found calls for.

Manifisto

there is no shame in buying anchovy fillets in a can/jar, in fact I imagine it is the rare person who would actually try to fillet their own anchovies for something like puttanesca

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/taste-test-best-anchovies-anchovy-fillets-in-olive-oil.html

good news in that article: "If you're going to use anchovies for cooking, it doesn't matter what brand you use—our tasters couldn't distinguish between the puttanesca sauces or the Caesar dressings from sample to sample."

Scaly Haylie

dang, serious eats is a good website

joke_explainer

Lizard Wizard posted:

joke_explainer, if you're still there let's talk sauce, with the disclaimer that i don't have an immersion blender.

It's just a convenience. I like to be able to blend in the pot and get to exactly the consistency i'm looking for. But many of the "best" recipes don't use anything other than a pot. A blender is only needed if you want a very smooth sauce, many people like it a little chunky.

Here is a very simple proto-recipe:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015178-marcella-hazans-tomato-sauce

Basically just taking canned tomatoes and cooking them and mashing them up. In Kenji's 'best slow roasted' red sauce recipe he just crushed them in hand. Use muir glen fire roasted tomatoes if you are unsure what kind to get.

Tomato sauce can be as simple or complex as you want to get it. Here's Kenji's write up on that 'best slow roasted':

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/the-food-lab-use-the-oven-to-make-the-best-darned-italian-american-red-sauce-ever-recipe.html

Recipe is at the bottom but read the writeup. This is a great way to do it, just needs a dutch oven. The carrot and onion don't overwhelm the sauce as you just roast it with chunks then dump them. I love making big pots of stuff like this and making the house smell great all day. For another great sauce I used for years, look here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pantry-friendly-tomato-sauce-recipe.html

You might be wondering why I haven't talked fresh tomatos. Off season tomatoes are kind of flavorless garbage. Get much better results in a can right now imo.

Anyway, it's a big world out there and there's no hard and fast rules. Your own red sauce can be tweaked and changed at any stage, until you have something very dear to you and your family. Don't look at any of these recipes or steps as iron-hard rules but just a guiding direction. Don't have something? Omit it. Wondering if white wine would improve it? Try it out. Etc.

Lizard Wizard posted:

dang, serious eats is a good website

It really is. But, most of their recipes are calibrated around the idea you care about quality and price is irrelevant. I've been criticized for using it, were it was implied that it's a yuppie site for wannabe chefs. It's still an amazing guideline tho with a crazy amount of resources for you to learn from. The 'Food Lab'cookbook is one of the best I own. But I understand some of the criticism. The 'ultimate chili' recipe is a good example. That chili costs you like $150.

There's also a few serious eats cliches. "Making anything? Add fish sauce!!!!" (i love it tho)

Scaly Haylie

Full disclosure, I'm following this recipe for the sauce and non-pasta ingredients and this recipe for gluten-free pasta as me and my family try to maintain a gluten-free diet.

When a recipe calls for "special cut" tomatoes, what exactly does that refer to? I'm guessing diced?

treasure bear

glutens really good

Scaly Haylie

treasure bear posted:

glutens really good

yes but it makes me gassy to the point that a non low-gluten diet is indefensible

joke_explainer

Basically just a quick pomodoro sauce. Anchovies and olives are great too.

Just a dice. I'd get peeled tomats anyway, and muir glen fire-roasted ones at that. Not going to make that big of a difference anyway, the cut at least. You can always dice it yourself! This recipe recommends the safeway generic tomatoes.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 22, 2017

joke_explainer

You know we have the fine dining effortpost thread specifically for this sort of thing! I bet they have far better sauce advice as well. Why not post there about your pasta adventures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless

Tomorrow, there will be pasta. Always tomorrow. We have made so many promises and we do not know if they can ever be realized, but tomorrow there will be pasta.

• Locked thread