Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

February 25th 2017 Update:
SHE WON.

And she outperformed Hall-Long who ran as a Democratic incumbent for the same seat in 2014. Thank you so much for donating to Hansen and helping keep Delaware MAGA free. I'm truly grateful.

This is admittedly a small victory against the Republicans, but it's an important one. Hopefully it's the start of many more. I firmly believe we should continue to work together in small and big ways to help causes like this in the future.

https://secure.actblue.com/contribute/page/friends-for-hansen-1

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/757637611775229952

If you don't want to read all this, just skip to the bottom

Since 2009, Democrats have sat idly by as state legislatures and governor offices have fallen, one after another, to the much better organized Republicans. Democrats seem to just not care about this ongoing issue, and as a result, the party hemorrhaged 910 state legislature seats in eight years. Today, just twelve states have a Democratic controlled legislature, and of those states, only five have a Democratic governor as well. Up until just a few days ago, Delaware was one of those select five. Now however, that's in jeopardy as a special election is about to be held to replace the resigning senator from our 10th district.

Why You Should Care
If the Democrats lose the special election (scheduled for Saturday, February 25th) for our 10th Senate District, our 21 member senate will flip over to the Republicans for the first time in 44 years (and with an odd number of seats, the tie breaking vote of our Democratic Lieutenant Governor is effectively useless). Since 2008, Republican membership in our state senate has increased by 66% (from six seats to ten). The nationwide crisis in effective left messaging has made this a common phenomenon, and Republicans know all too well just how important it is that they capitalize on the Democratic party's failings at the local level. That is why they're flying Vice President Pence out to campaign here for the Republican challenger in the special election, and are said to be having Donald Trump record robocalls on the candidate's behalf. Republicans don't loving mess around. They see an opportunity for yet another state senate, and throw everything at it. This is a MAGA uprising in a state that hasn't voted for a Republican president since 1988. It's happening where I live, and if it isn't stopped in its tracks, it could very well come to your "safe" state next.

(Pictured: Vice President Pence [left] en route to Delaware, as a LGBT youth looks upwards in quiet horror)

Delaware's Democratic controlled government accomplished quite a bit with our previous governor, Jack Markell. A few highlights were marijuana being decriminalized with a system put in place for medical usage of it, our minimum wage increased, protective legislation against LGBT discrimination was passed, curbside recycling was implemented, and various measures were adopted to promote green energy. Things weren't perfect, but we should all know by now that with Republicans in charge (or simply obstructing the will of the people as they are wont to do), poo poo will get worse rapidly, and in ways previously never thought possible.

Who's Running
The Republicans have chosen John Marino. At first glance, he may seem inoffensive, but dig a little deeper and you'll find things like "A parent has the natural right to remove their child from any test or school activity -- anytime, anywhere," (a great policy if you want even more students who have zero sex education, believe the Earth is 6,000 years old, and think grabbing pussy is totally copacetic) and his outrage that Democrats in the state have "restor[ed] voting rights to felons" (felons being unable to vote is just one of many ways the Republicans are going about systematically disenfranchising large swathes of our population).

The Democrats, in contrast have picked environmental attorney and single mother, Stephanie Hansen. I know many of you are wary of settling for the traditional type of Democrat in the wake of Trump, but Hansen seems to get what issues are most salient. In this twenty minute interview with her, Hansen discusses a variety of topics, but what really sums up the interview for me is this quote from her:

quote:

If you’ve ever thought about getting involved in a political election, now is the time. If you’ve got progressive ideas – if you are for pay equity, you are for pro-environmental positions, you are for gender equality, now is the time. Because those values are under attack.

Perhaps what is most terrifying in that interview is it seems Republicans have started to use misinformation and lies to dissuade Democrats from turning out for her. In this segment of the interview, Hansen says that in order to bring the "Republican agenda into our living room", they have begun calling likely Democratic voters and lying to them saying that she is not pro-choice. It's the typical Republican playbook of deceit, cons, and MAGA bullshit happening at a micro level.

How You Can Help
If you're still with me after all of that, it's pretty simple how you can help. Go to her website, click "CONTRIBUTE", and donate whatever you can. If you're nearby (even if out of state), volunteer to go door to door or call for her. Out of inspiration from the RAINN fundraiser, I asked the ever talented Al! if he would design gang tags for people who donate to this. This being Delaware, however, he was kind of at a loss of ideas of what the gang tags could be, so if anyone has any suggestions for that, that's a way to help as well. The special election for our tenth senate district is Saturday, February 25th, so there's plenty of time to donate or volunteer.

If you do donate, please post in this thread with a screenshot of confirmation that you did, as well as stating the amount, so I have an idea of how well this works, and so if gang tags are made, they can be distributed.

It Doesn't Have to Stop Here
Donate or not, you might be thinking "Yeah, but that's Delaware, who cares? No one even lives there." That's why I am completely on board for this RAINN styled drive to be replicated again for your own local issues. If you can think of any that need help, please, post about them. Tell everyone. Change things.

IF YOU IGNORED LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE, READ THIS
Senator Sanders and Representative Ellison both agree that poo poo doesn't get done unless you work at it from the bottom up. Delaware is about to lose its state senate to the Republicans for the first time in 44 years, in a special election (Saturday, February 25th). The Republicans want it so much that they are sending Pence, as well as having MechaTrump make robocalls, so that they can enact their awful agenda in yet another state. If you are at all inspired by Sanders and Ellison, donate whatever you can to the Democratic state senate campaign of Stephanie Hansen and maybe get a gang tag out of it eventually. If you donate, please post proof and the amount in this thread.

January 22nd, 2017 Update:

Nichael posted:

Thanks to everyone who donated so far. We're at $145 for anyone who's keeping track. I'm going to donate some more soon, and I plan on contacting the campaign to just give a heads up at some point that people here helped. As far as I can tell, there's still not an actual date for the election, but I'm pretty sure it legally can't be past past the first week of March or so. I'll update the original post when there's an actual date.

January 24th 2017 Update:
Still no actual date as far as I can tell. If anyone is nearby this weekend, the campaign will be doing a lot of door to door volunteering after this event. I'm pretty sure I'll be there if you want to see what a C-SPAM jerk looks like in real life.

The total is at $375 mostly thanks to Dad Jokes who is going to be highlighted in the original post now for being a generally cool dude.

Dad Jokes posted:

gently caress it why not

January 24th 2017 Update 2:
We're at $475 now, and the election has an actual date, February 25th.

January 25th 2017 Update:
$535 and a gangtag from Al:

If you've donated and want the tag, just say so somewhere in the thread.

Also, keep bad posting for more money!

Zikan posted:

donated mostly because of the bad posting itt

rabble rabble posted:

A+ op a thread well done 🇺🇸

February 16th Update:
First, I want to point out a huge donation from ElegantFugue:

ElegantFugue posted:

My family definitely sounded like they were planning to vote, but I don't think I talked any of them into doing more than putting up yard signs. So I did this because screw Republicans.

I live here and would be very happy if my state government could not turn red, both to work against stupidity from the national level and to just plain prevent them from rendering our state government non-functional.

Second, there's only nine days until the election. Get last minute donations in now before another MAGA-geddon occurs.

Another objectively cool and/or good person made donation:

Office Pig posted:

Not as much as I'd like, but better this than nothing.

Total So Far: $1,423

Nichael has issued a correction as of 03:32 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I donated $10 as well as went door to door.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gJNOZr564

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
shut up baloogan

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
peckerophilia!!!!!!!!!!!

Serf
May 5, 2011

happy to do my part

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I lived in Wilmington for three years and it is a corrupt, incompetent city that, like Delaware, needs new government.

The city is so hosed up that they tried to sue me for not paying income taxes for a year I didn't even live in the state. I had already moved, didn't live there for any part of that year, and the city hired a PRIVATE (your tax dollars at work) law firm to try and sue me. When I asked my accountant, he said it wasn't just me, but that the city was so desperate for money that they were sending these letters to lots of people and hoping they would just pay out of fear and not question it.

So, I called the law firm, told the woman who answered that I didn't live in the state for the years they were suing me (around $6k is what they wanted iirc), and then she told me she would get back to me.

Never heard another word.

So, yeah, keep supporting the ace stewardship there. Help them pay their legal bills with your donations.

Count Freebasie has issued a correction as of 12:10 on Jan 20, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at how unbelievable poo poo the democrats have been at winning elections

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not a huge fan of Delaware's politics as they are, but on this, the day of the inauguration of Donald Trump as President of the United States, I am fully cognizant that things can get much worse (and almost certainly will). And after watching the interview with Hansen that I linked, she seems like a genuine woman, who's in general consensus with most people I see here, so I wouldn't consider this a "lesser of two evils" situation either.

Jose posted:

lol at how unbelievable poo poo the democrats have been at winning elections

Help fix it. Really, the donations are secondary to just being involved and doing things physically. If you're not near here, find something near you. I only bring up donating as much as I do in the original post because I obviously don't expect a ton of people to be willing to come here and volunteer.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 12:12 on Jan 20, 2017

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Like I said, their largest city was literally extorting its (ex)citizens for money, and doing it on the taxpayers' dollar.

That's beyond hosed up.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with you. The only way people can hope to fix things is by participating however.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nichael posted:

Help fix it. Really, the donations are secondary to just being involved and doing things physically. If you're not near here, find something near you. I only bring up donating as much as I do in the original post because I obviously don't expect a ton of people to be willing to come here and volunteer.

I'm not american. I did accidentally end up delaware once after taking the wrong off ramp while driving though

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

That's the story of how everyone came to Delaware.

Delaware aside though, it's not about this state specifically. It's is a broad and incredibly pressing concern that the Democrats have been pushed out of nearly every conceivable metric of governance. This is one small way to fix that.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Nichael posted:

That's the story of how everyone came to Delaware.

Delaware aside though, it's not about this state specifically. It's is a broad and incredibly pressing concern that the Democrats have been pushed out of nearly every conceivable metric of governance. This is one small way to fix that.

Let's look at some major cities close to Delaware:

Philly, NYC, Baltimore, D.C.; all under three hours drive, and two of them are in the top five largest cities in the U.S.

What party runs all three of those cities?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
death to the democratic party, delaware, america, and indeed the human species itself. imo

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this is just a taste of 2018. we're in a conservative renaissance unfortuneatly

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Count Freebasie posted:

Philly, NYC, Baltimore, D.C.; all under three hours drive, and two of them are in the top five largest cities in the U.S.

Nobody is talking about city governments here except you.

:getout:

Start a thread about it.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Don't want a gangtag but wanted to post so you "have an idea of how well this works".

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

tadashi posted:

Nobody is talking about city governments here except you.

:getout:

Start a thread about it.

Okay.

Apart from MD, and not including D.C., all of those states are run by Democratic governors. Apart from PA in the 2016 election, every one of those states those cities are in (including D.C. on it's own) has voted Democrat in Presidential Elections since 2000.

And as a former resident of Delaware, with insight into the state, and the ability to weigh in on this thread with actual experience of the state, :fuckoff:

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I'm sure if the Republicans are able to take control of every city in new england they definitely won't waste a ton of taxpayer money giving kickbacks to lawyer friends to extort people while privatizing every other aspect of the state

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I mean I suppose they could literally sell the population to oil and gas companies and let them chemically convert everyone into fuel instead

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Donated a 20.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

nothing matters, everything is hopeless, and this shallow gesture I have just made is pointless

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
Threw in 15.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i think republicans only need to win control of one more state before they can start changing the constitution, so put aside some cynicism for a second. i'm flat broke though so i can't give

also, is "MAGA" just "TCOT" for internet nazis? i keep seeing it around and i have no idea what it means other than it's used by pieces of poo poo

Relin posted:

this is just a taste of 2018. we're in a conservative renaissance unfortuneatly
arguably we've been in one since reagan, and the world has followed suit at various times (britain's been with us since the beginning with maggie). at some point there needs to be pushback

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress is Biden in all this

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Donkwich posted:

democrats aren't yet in "maybe giving a poo poo about state races is a good idea" mode yet

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

i think republicans only need to win control of one more state before they can start changing the constitution, so put aside some cynicism for a second. i'm flat broke though so i can't give
That's a good point that I didn't address. I mean, it's fine to be cynical and point out the flaws of the Democratic establishment, but I know this can get so much worse than it currently is.

Donkwich posted:

No idea. Pence is coming, Biden is somewhere? I heard he bought a house in DC so maybe he's forsaken Delaware.

Nichael has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you guys had 1.5 bill like, yeah. thats 30 mill per state.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

also, is "MAGA" just "TCOT" for internet nazis? i keep seeing it around and i have no idea what it means other than it's used by pieces of poo poo

arguably we've been in one since reagan, and the world has followed suit at various times (britain's been with us since the beginning with maggie). at some point there needs to be pushback

maga means make america great again

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

uh, did you like JUST start paying attention now? like wtf

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
donated 10

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Condiv posted:

ah that makes sense

Baloogan posted:

uh, did you like JUST start paying attention now? like wtf
ignorance is sanity. that's why i didn't watch any of the inauguration

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Baloogan posted:

peckerophilia!!!!!!!!!!!

Peckarot

also I'll donate 2morrow

e: remembered I had actblue account so it's easy :smugdon:

Homeless Friend has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Jan 21, 2017

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Condiv posted:

that's the technical definition, the real definition is "i heart nazis" though

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Count Freebasie posted:

*all four

PleasingFungus has issued a correction as of 19:45 on Jan 21, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
can't believe all these urban centers are run by the democrat party... talk about corruption, eh?

did you know that san francisco, san jose, sacramento, and seattle ALL have majority-D governments? this poo poo is f*cked, ladies and gents... time for a change!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~~~~chicago~~~~

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
Alright i put down money, god knows my state's unicameral isn't going democrat any decade soon

• Locked thread