Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
God forbid a Games thread not have the correct lame pun/tired meme in it's title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rakthar posted:

Forums Contrarian Chomp here to tell you that the poo poo you're saying is wrong. Well, cya. *peels out*

I'm just saying honestly who cares what the title is. It's the stupidest thing to argue about it. Call it "Stellaris: Grand Strategy in Space" or whatever it doesn't matter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

oddium posted:

sa forums > games > stellaris: the first duty of every stellaris poster is to the title. whether it's the meme title, or the educational title, or the in-joke title. it is the guiding principle upon which this thread is based. and if you can't find it within yourself to stand up and suggest a good title... then you don't deserve to post in this thread

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's true. The title defines the culture of the thread, and the thread cannot continue until the title reaches consensus.

Consesus implies a collectivist leaning, but I believe the thread to be quite individualist.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
CURRENT STATE OF STELLARIS: A video game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A paladin would never condone slavery.

But he would definitely condone purging, so long as the purgees were evil.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
1.5 will include a splash screen on game start that is just "MAKE SPACE GREAT AGAIN" is bold letters in a garish font.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gobblecoque posted:

The thread title must be good because haha it's triggering the hell out of people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also this thread title is a sad fart, and now people are gathering around to scream about how they loving trolled us with the sad fart, so I'm glad we hit that in four pages.

:sad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

(Somehow continues for several more paragraphs)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hello friends,

I am playing my first game of Stellaris and I have a problem. The game feels empty. I do not mean the game design though, I mean physically empty: I cannot find aliens. After two or three hours (at a learner's pace, admittedly) I've contacted only a single sentient species, and it's a fallen empire so there really isn't any interaction to be had. It is stardate 2222.10.19. Is this normal? I didn't touch the galaxy generation settings at all. I've attached a picture. I'm lookin at this map and wondering where everybody is. What I've seen of streams and videos always made the galaxy seem rather crowded.

Thank you for your consideration.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

nessin posted:

The default settings will occasionally leave players or other empires out in the middle of nowhere. Smaller games, more opponents, or clustered starts turn on will mitigate that usually.

Ok, thanks. I may start over now that I know how to play because it's feeling pretty lonely in this corner of the galaxy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I located the precursor home system but nothing happened. Sent a science ship and surveyed everything, nothing happened. Sent a fleet incase for some reason it took military ships to trigger the event, nothing. No habitable planets either. It's in neutral space so there isn't any interference to my activities.

RIP quest. I'll always remember you in my situation room (because you won't leave).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Unity choices are kind of shockingly imbalanced. Even Beyond Earth may have done better. Sad!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GotLag posted:

Wasn't one of the 1.5 changes that AI no longer get/finish precursor quests?

Either no it wasn't or it didn't work. I didn't even own this game prior to 1.5

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Baronjutter posted:

Stellaris seems to extra punish you for playing ironman while not even giving you the meaningless cheevos it promises.

I think it's kind of funny that they restrict the achievements to ironman. Like who really gives a poo poo about the integrity of achievements.

If anything you just have a couple extra "do some poo poo, but on Ironman mode" achievements. lol you don't lock "settle some planets" or "win a game" to ironman c'mon son this is video games 101.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 12, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^ yeah to clarify here I'm not unlocking them here either. Cheevos can be nice incentives to put a new twist on a thing you like or give you an idea for a new approach. But never should they require you to do play the game in a way that is not fun. To lock every achievement to ironman is just very lol from a design perspective and that's what I'm commenting on. I'll probably never unlock a single achievement for this game and that's ok.

GunnerJ posted:

Every day I praise God that I am physically incapable of giving a poo poo about achievements.

Hmm it seems that you care enough to smugly declare that you don't care about them in an attempt to sound cool and popular.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 12, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

metasynthetic posted:

The artist troupe I hired to throw festivals across my empire 'fell in love' with one of my worlds and asked to move in, and I accepted.

Also, I'm a hive mind so as soon as their pops landed we started eating them.

:getin:

I've heard of tough crowds but this is ridiculous!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ZypherIM posted:

A band-aid to the band-aid

Hmm maybe we should consult the experts at CCP for this situation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

Nah, you see this is just moaning from people.

If you truly did not care for bragging rights or displaying your achievements, and instead feel it's only value is a personal sense of satisfaction of beating a challenge you can just do the task and tick it off on a to-do list sellotaped to your desk. Not having ironman for achievements though does affect people who are OK with admitting achievements are pointless bragging rights, as if you can install a mod that simply unlocks all achievements, or win while using a mod like "Unlimited monarch points and manpower!" then the achievement doesn't mean you actually achieved the task under anything resembling a challenging scenario, and therefore is meaningless.

Theres no reason to ever not have ironman only achievements. Anyone whining about not being able to get achievements due to ironman is actually moaning because they want to be able to show them off to other people in some way, but if ironman wasn't required and you can mod and save scum your way to acquiring them the next to no value they already have would entirely vanish.

I honestly play on ironman on every game ever where it's there. The challenge is more interesting and you can't savescum your way to victory. The only time I haven't done this, was when Xcom 2 was released because they allow you to get achievements without mods and I thought the risk of some sort of glitch screwing me over was high (it turns out i didn't need to reload once).

The counter argument of course is the fact in Xcom 2 I still chased the achievements anyway, but I am far more proud of say my dumb and pointless achievement Frozen Assets (start as novogrod, have 90% control of the white sea, make it the most valuable trade node in the world) than any of my Xcom 2 ones because it actually feels like I beat some sort of challenge that others haven't beat.

Yes it's pure ego stroking, but then again the only reason to complain you can't get achievements without ironman is as you're upset your ego can't be stroked.

How appropriate, a sentient robot posting in the Stellaris thread.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Splicer posted:

Is it just me or is it kind of weird that they're called "traditions" but you don't start with any unlocked?

Game terminology chosen apparently at random!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dog Kisser posted:

galaxy - 1000 stars, but 25% of the normal habitable planets, and only 3 empires.

:psyduck:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All the survey speeds bonuses are useless and it's comical that they are supposed to be incentivizes. This is because the actual process of surveying is the shortest part of exploration by a mile.

Something that would actually be useful would bonuses to anomaly/project completion time or bonuses to the movement speed of science ships.

It's pretty lol that some bozo at Paradox went "hmm science ships spend 60% of their time processing anomalies and projects, 35% of their time in transit, and 5% of their time doing basic planet surveys. I know where the bonus is going!!!"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GotLag posted:

Upgrade your science ship thrusters and FTL drives. Also sensors for quicker surveying.

Well yeah I know that but engines and such are things you research anyway. We are talking about specific buffs for science ships. A science ship only supercruise drive or whatever would be a useful upgrade. Survey speed bonus is trash.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Made a race of peaceful, spiritual pigs for my first game ever. The Unbidden are feasting on pork sandwiches after a giant portal opened up right outside my borders.

RIP pigs.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doorknob Slobber posted:

This stuff is nice and all, but its just so much easier and so much less work to just have a bigger fleet than your opponent

Yeah you're right strategy is good but simply being stronger is also good. Astute observation there, chief. Big revelations itt.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Clanpot Shake posted:

Re...fitting?

You know how you can order ships to upgrade at the space dock?

Guess what happens if you alter their design to switch all the missiles for lasers and then do that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LordAbaddon posted:

So it turns out that things are.......weird in regards to missiles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/5e5zm3/the_missiles_are_a_lie_analysis/

TL;DR: The visual indicator for missiles is actually slower than the "real" missiles and PD is spaghetti code black magic

lol

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow. I'm a signatory of an awoken FE. For reasons totally unknown to me the game thinks I am guaranteeing the independence of a third party (impossible, since I cannot conduct diplomacy as a signatory). The FE declared war on the third party, which dragged me into war on the side of the third party, against the FE I am a signatory of.

poo poo is loving broken. "Paradox" I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So... um, I need to talk about purging.

I wanted to hitler some aliens I conquered. But I just wanted to hitler them a little, not completely. They had the same planet preference type as my core species so I wanted to give my citizens a little more "lebenstraum" if you get my meaning. So I went to the species rights for this species I had just conquered. They occupied four planets that were all mono-filled with just them. I set them to "undesirable" and the purge began. Thing is, the purge killed a grand total of zero members of their species for five years, and then on year five + 1 day literally ever single one of them died on every planet they inhabited.

Is this how purging is supposed to go? Like it seems bizarre to me to just go from "four planets filled with billions of people" for five years straight and then ONE DAY LATER "four empty planets, no survivors". You'd think they would just start dying off one by over time, not all drop dead at the same instant five years later. I just have the base game, no DLC if that makes a difference.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

Yes, if you have Extermination set as a the purge setting. If you mouse over the purge icon in the bottom left of their portrait, it assigns a precise date. It's why I prefer to use them for slave labor to allow my preferred pop to migrate over to their planets as they die off.

Slaves don't die off though. Like I have other species as slaves and they go on forever. Or is that what happens if you have slaves and then enable population control on them? I thought it just meant they wouldn't grow anymore.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GenericOverusedName posted:

Theres more than one way to purge things. One way is forced labor.

I don't see this option anywhere. Is it part of any DLC? I mentioned I don't have any.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, got it. I guess for now it's no-hitler or full-hitler only. No medium-hitler.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

Make sure the first battle is by your station. Drop a platform with a warp trap next to it. Pull 'em right in and hit them with everything you've got while splitting their fire against the hard targets.

Also, ugggggh I was enjoying this game so much but I am probably gonna have to abandon it.

War in Heaven is just completely broken. Like the parts that work are stupid (hope you never invested in the vassals or tributaries traditions because you lose them all even if you refuse to bend the knee!) but then it gets even worse. Did you know that if you declare yourself neutral in the War in Heaven but don't have enough diplomacy tradition, the league doesn't form but you don't get the chance to join later? Also, if you ever select the tradition later, every awakened FE declares war on you and you alone, not just the two guys who you might have been able to take! So instead of me and all my vassals and a league (like 8 guys offered to join and I said ok and then they buggered off and joined an FE lmao) fighting two FE's, it was me and me alone fighting both of those FE's and another FE that had previously awakened to wank off in the corner while I killed the unbidden, and the endless unwinnable war I was stuck in to serve as a distraction.

Also it actually becomes impossible to win wars at that point, since occupying every planet and destroying every ship of an enemy empire only grants 16 warscore for that war assuming you're the only one involve... and usually you aren't so you won't be able to get more than like 5.

Welp, it was a good run I guess.

Also my species got flipped by psionic ascension and some other whacky stuff happened.

Also is it possible for the War in Heaven to ever end on it's own? Can I wait for this to all just blow over? Or is it completely dependent on me personally to destroy one or both of them?

God bless our brave beta testers working hard on Utopia o7

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I found a shielded world.

Oh man I can't wait to see what pops out when I crack this thing open.

The Spathi like it down there.

Please do not disturb them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Whenever I get a new planet that exceeds my core cap I hold onto just long enough to queue up most of planet tiles worth of development before handing it over to a sector. Like literally stack the build queue until you are seeing a tiny #15 marking one of the tiles. Then hand it over to the sector governor.

Although I haven't monitored closely enough to make sure this works perfectly. If telling the AI "don't redevelop tiles" implies "but go ahead and dump the build queue" then LOL at me I guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Huh, it sounds like hyperlanes only is pretty popular. Didn't expect that. Do ya'll like it because it prevents "back-capping" and what not?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ground Combat Idea:

Give core worlds and/or sectors individual army ratings. Make this number an amalgamation of tech/generals/"manpower". Manpower is a combination of population/ethos/civics/species rights. It goes up over time and diminishes with losses. Allow generals to be assigned to planets/sectors just like governors (or even have governors double as generals).

"Invasions" work by telling a core world or sector "invade this planet". Enemy planets can only be targeted for invasion if there are no enemy spaceports or military stations in the system. Instead of ferrying physical troops, some type of visual "invasion path" indicator comes up on the map, showing where troops are being ferried to and from. The attacker's manpower gradually overpowers the defender. The presence of a friendly fleet in orbit above the target increases your attack strength/speed. The presence of a hostile fleet in orbit above the target halts all incoming troops. The presence of friendly or hostile fleets along the invasion path increases or decreases the speed at which invading troops make it to the target from the point of origin, and maybe kills off some manpower in transit.

At no point are there physical troop transport ships, although they may be represented visually. The numbers mash against each other in the background based on the manpower/tech/leadership on both sides, modified by the situation in space.

Obviously this would be a major overhaul. But the current system sucks so an overhaul is needed.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 20, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Created the "Cardassian Union" with Prefect Dukat as the starting leader. Conquered a 4-planet empire during Dukat's lifespan, enslaved the species that inhabited them, and dubbed that area of space the "Bajoran Sector".

Good stuff. I can almost hear "ATTENTION BAJORAN WORKERS" coming out of the slave processing center I built on their home world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Guildencrantz posted:

Being as irritated with PSC's absurd power as the rest of you, I just threw a quickie onto the Workshop that nerfs it into the ground. With the nerf it's a flat +5/+5/+5 per survey, which should still be an OK early boost if you grab it quickly but tapers off really hard.

This doesn't sound like a good fix. With this you MUST grab it early or it's not worth getting ever. Although I grant you that's still better than it being a MUST PICK in every game.

The whole idea behind PCS is stupid and it should be thrown out wholesale. Replace it with a boost to research stations and/or observation stations and/or frontier outposts. Sensible and thematic.

• Locked thread