Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojei
Feb 12, 2008

oddium posted:

it would be a shame to lose the part of the game where you click buttons to make the numbers go up 2%, and instead have to play the part of the game where you manage a politically charged stellar empire

except only one of those things is actually in the game right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Wiz posted:

I think the idea that it's meaningless is pretty severely exaggerated, a proper ship design has a huge impact on combat effectiveness. I agree it's too fiddly though, but overall it works pretty well so it's more of a system we'll continue to polish than something we'll radically rework.

I think what a lot of people don't like is the fact that there is a "proper ship design", because that automatically means there is a single correct way to build your ships and if you're doing it another way you're just deliberately gimping yourself. If there's a single correct way to build your ships, why bother having the option to not build your ships that way?

Personally, I enjoy setting up my dumb ships with dumb class names and dumb loadouts, but I can easily see why people are frustrated by existence of this mechanic.

edit: 100% unrelated modding question: Are there any plans to allow modders to define their own custom weapon sizes? Right now you can cheese unique weapons to be locked to specific ships by requiring absurd amounts of power to run and giving just that class of ship a module that produces an absurd amount of power, but that's insanely hacky.

kojei fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 22, 2017

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Orv posted:

Delete Stellaris, replace with vicky3.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
I think we can all agree that what the ship designer really needs is a bunch of loving sliders. Sliders improve every paradox game.

vv poo poo you're right how could i miss that

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or even an adjacency bonus when they're still around. Volcanoes for everyone!

Alphamod (or one of the other bojillion mods i'm running) does this and it is super nice

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Truga posted:

Is it possible to make a mod that does this? Or are mods limited to content changes? Because this is exactly what I want, and I'll do it if it's possible.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
There's an option to make AI follow the rules in the mod, which also affects sectors. Then just add your cores (or don't!) to the exclusion list.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

So the description says it adds UP TO 1/3 of your research per month if you are surveying, how is it doubling then? Is there something actually broken with the mechanics? From reading the description it sounds like so long as you have at least one science ship surveying it gives you a nice 33% extra science, which is still huge. But multiple ships are stacking the bonus? How's it actually calculating?

At the start of every month, you gain X points towards your research goal where X is your research amount. If you have stored research, it will drain from your stored research pool up to the value of your monthly research amount. So, as long as you have more stored research than your monthly research amount, you will gain X*2 towards your research goal.

Every time you survey a thing, you get 1/3rd of your monthly research added to your stored research pool. As long as you survey three things in a month, you will always have double research speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Anyone know? Maybe the dev who posts here?

Any single "aura" style effect can only apply once on any given target. Even if you have two defensive stations each with a shield dampener, an enemy within range of both stations will only be affected once.

• Locked thread