Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I just got this game in the Humble Monthly bundle. Anywhere I should start from to learn how to play rather than the tutorial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

When the game populates the galaxy, does it only use the remade civilizations, or will it make up brand new ones so I don't always find the same empires?
I've only found one and it was the Kingdom of Yondarim. Not to mention I decided to give them a trade agreement but took nothing in return because I have no clue how to get them to give me things in return.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 24, 2017

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

TGLT posted:

Left side of the negotiation screen is what you're offering, right is what you're demanding. As long as the number in the middle is green they'll take the deal. If you hover over it you'll get more details as to why they may or may not be willing to accept the deal. AI doesn't tend to give people they don't like research agreements, for example.

How do I add a demand?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I started a war and I found out that I cannot possibly win. How do I surrender?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Just a head's up.

Stellaris is on sale on Humble Store. Leviathan 33% off (might be less, I have an additional 10%), Plantoids 40% off (Again, I have an additional 10%).

I grabbed Leviathan, now I am missing Utopia which I can get for sale for 10% off on Steam by grabbing the 'anniversary' bundle.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Are you able to set up a system that is a sector even if you haven't reached your limit? I was mostly just using it as a buffer zone so I wouldn't be trapped when this other Empire expanded. Instant rivalry from them.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I brought a long dead species back to life.

By making robot slaves to whip my actual slaves. Service guarantees Citizenship. Would you like to know more?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

A big problem with the upcoming changes to planets is that Food is basically pointless. It's going to turn it into Cold planets are the end-game, as you don't need energy later on, and food is useful but not past a certain point. You always need minerals.

Is there a way to get more Influence? I'm dipping below +1 per month because I hardly have any planets around that I can colonize and need to use frontier outposts for expanding my borders.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nevets posted:

I'd say that at this point Stellaris + Utopia is still significantly less complex than CKII + all the DLC. There's more economy management, but the poltical system is comparatively simple and there isn't any character developement or interactions which is the bulk of CKII complexity.

CK2 is 5 years old. Stellaris is 1 year old.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Ephemeron posted:

If I've never played the game before, would it be a good or a bad idea to start out as a hive mind for my first couple of runs?

Start out as a "normal" ethos first. Hive mind is not a good place to try and start to learn the game, as you can't really get into different species inside your empire in that case.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Other Paradox games for me are like "Okay, so how do I get an army so I'm not overpowered by all my neighbours? How do I get more land?"

Stellaris is like "Let's roll with my giant doomstack."

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nuclearmonkee posted:

you can do the doomstack poo poo in ck2 as well once you get rolling.

eu4 makes it a bit harder until you are unstoppably huge or late prussia at least :v:

I can't get even a tiny stack to take over one province in CK2. I have a proper dejour claim to the land. I just can't figure out how to raise more troops. So CK2 isn't for me.
Don't tell me about tutorials online or in the game. Stellaris is simple and I can figure out how to make a nice big mass of ships to destroy those fanatic purifiers.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Okay, since you can switch back to the previous VO that's much better than being forced to be over the top militarist all the time. Or just be the borg all the time. Even if you're a xenophilic materialist empire.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

One thing people might not be realizing.

VO addon means that VO mods could exist. So you can have anything.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I got SotS2 as part of a humble bundle. I did not directly pay for it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Tigey posted:

I guarantee within a week someone will upload a mod to Steam that makes it so all the black human pops are automatically enslaved and owned by white human pops

Probably less than a week

1 hour after it goes live, I bet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

http://store.steampowered.com/app/642750/Stellaris_Synthetic_Dawn/

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Are you able to make fanatic spiritualist robots?

Biblebots?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Can Rogue Servitors build Machine Worlds? What happens to one's Bio-Trophies afterwards? Can you even start with a mahine world?

Sorry if these are dumb questions- my actual computer's in the shop and I'm currently using my laptop at the moment, so I can't play to find out :(

Machine worlds are an ascension perk. They also require at least 3 other perks in order to get them.

Mastery of Nature is still amazingly powerful. It just reduces the cost to 50%, but saving all that tech. Especially for machine populations who don't care about food or anything and can live anywhere. Tomb world? Go for it. Machine world? Well if you get an event that turns a formerly barren world into a machine one...
You can't start with a machine world, even if you don't have any organics in your entire empire. The entire galaxy loves my race of robots. Nobody hates me. And I only had a machine world pop up from a random event. Wasn't going to take it because it has 7 slots, when a very nice planet next door has a nice 24.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can you get more than 4 biotrophies now? Like do they spread to other planets, or is it statically set as 4?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If I decide to have cyborg pops instead on my planets, will they produce more pops on their own in a machine empire?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

What types of mods do not disable achievements/ironman? The only thing I can find is 'doesn't change checksum'.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

I am curious, are robot empires able to research Positronic AI? It hasn't shown up for me yet in 2350, and I have 5 research options and am hitting repeatable techs now. Without that I don't think I can advance beyond the level 2 combat computers, seems like a bit of an oversight.

1.8.1 made it so that Machine Empires can't learn Positronic AI.
You're already Positronic AI. Why do you need to learn it?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

When the game released it was quite normal to get planets like that, tons of useless junk planets not worth colonizing. I think they changed the minimum to 12 so it's really weird to see a 6.

I got a 7 from an event that turned a barren into a machine planet.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I can't ever seem to win a war. I have crushed their fleets that try to save their planet, but I sit there bombing it forever and the planet never flips.
What am I doing wrong?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

So, does this mean never use missiles because they're garbage?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I want to be fanatic spiritualists for a game, but don't know the other ethic I want to use. Or traits for the race. So no robots or hive minds. I want to spread my religion across the stars.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Can hive minds become Transcendant now? I need to know for... reasons.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Wiz posted:

That's not how it works at all. Everyone uses whatever DLC the host has.

So, technically speaking you can try out new DLC in a multiplayer environment?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I decided to play an Assimilation robot empire.
I found a nice 23 tile planet that had primitives on it.

Their resistance was futile. They were assimilated.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Technically speaking if you make your own empires and force them to spawn instead of random, fanatic purifiers won't appear.

Nobody cares if you commit war crimes against fanatic purifiers.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Libluini posted:

Not exactly. When my robo-empire genocided two planets full of fanatical purifiers, the entire galaxy reacted with shock and horror.

That's because you purged filthy organics. I just integrate them into my society perfectly. Can't kill when you get injected with nanomachines to make you one of the collective.

Being led around by giant orbs.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

You could change your civics after you get whatever ascension perks you want, I guess. Or you can just declare war for tribute to expand your coffers even more.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I found two really good systems.

They were right next door to each other.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Is it just me or is this game not "fun". I get that it takes a while for grand strategy games to come together but CK2 is way better. Especially on a laptop, since I can either use a "big font" mod to actually read the text on a small screen where it looks ugly as gently caress or just click through the little "slice of life" stories that exist.

If there were cool emergent stories, I wouldn't need to strain my eyes. But there don't seem to be right now.

I am the complete opposite. I tried CK2, I seriously did, but I just don't "get" it. It's not fun. I tried. I doubt any of the DLC will make it better, or even mods. I just don't understand the appeal of it. I honestly tried. Stellaris on the other hand I do find fun. I can do things easily. I understand most of the mechanics behind the game. It's a good old fashioned 4X space strategy game that takes place in real time over turn based.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

I don't think you can purge your own race.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Sounds like someone forgot the 34th Rule of Acquisition.

The 35th rule completely counteracts that.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Probably a stupid question.

How do I force an empire I created to appear in my galaxy?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Hey so uh I think my guys are a little confused on what constitutes an organic

They found a loophole in their programming in order to mean actually needing to take care of organics. Their programming only says take care of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If the FTL inhibitor can bring fleets in wormholes out, that will be a way to prevent enemies from bypassing your front lines of a war if they use wormholes.

• Locked thread