Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

1.5 can't come out soon enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

I'm curious on the design rational behind 'the birth of space piracy'. you can't guarantee mil techs as early as it can appear, and forcing an empire to build a fleet early pigeonholes them with strict resource requirements and upkeep costs impact economic flexibility.

on another note my games lately have had sparse energy resources to mine, which is the limiting factor to mining stations, and well everything really given how everything pulls from energy compared to minerals.

delaying colonisation is a pretty great strategy for teching up though. far better than watching months getting added to techs as expansion waves roll out

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

starting corvette was 24 power my prior game, piracy fleet is 200-300 so you'd want at least 10 no? 63 minerals/ship iirc means 441 minerals into responding to a fixed event when resource usage is critical in expanding

i get the whole force a player to make a fleet it's just weird that otherwise i wouldn't make one until much later given default ai attitudes

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Wiz posted:

The issue with any sort of totally free system where you can design any ship to be any role is that it pretty much always ends up that the biggest ship is best at every role. That's why we have fixed roles now.
i'm curious if we're not already at this state now given the multitude of options available to battleships

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah i'm only thinking end-game techs and 400k fleet blobs where rock paper scissors falls apart due to raw numbers

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i endeavour to go battleship-only to test theories later in this game

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Coolguye posted:

refits happen pretty fast nowadays so scouting someone out just as a war starts and making a dongkiller 5000 class a week into the war means that within a month or two your fleet will be taken care of

this is a problem if you have only one worthwhile starport of course but you could, in fact, have many
what is considered the norm for a war fleet? I'm used to entry-level 30-40k late-game pushing 400k normal-sized map (which ultimately determines # of planets, thus # of spaceports & pop and max fleet size)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

artificial strength is what ais work off of so has importance in the grand scheme

my point was more how you're remaking an entire fleet in the space of a month or two

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

A war against my allies would be ugly, as they surround me. And my federation probably consists of 3 of the 4 most powerful non-fallen empires on the map at this point, including myself. I thought I could just turn enough of the map into a federation that I could win that way. But that doesn't look like it is about to happen.
Maybe I will leave the federation and start by erasing the (now significantly less) massive Fanatical purifier empire I've been beating up for the last 50 years or so. I initially joined the federation back when I couldn't take them on my own. But now I can. Easily.

Thanks.
you can test the waters by allowing wars of aggression. it'll cost 50 opinion, but if you're in a federation you should be able to take the hit. from then taking planets depends on if the other empires think you're getting too big. you can provoke another empire into instigating a war against you to work around wargoal limits. will still be a grind though

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's a really big advantage to go with the minimum amount of colonised systems until you've got everything you want researched. try a game sticking to two systems and notice the absurd tech advantage you'll have over neighbours - abuse frontier outposts for border control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

that takes time and pop escalation factors into it, your fleet cap will be lower but tech will give you the edge in holding aggressive ais at bay

• Locked thread