Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Heartcatch posted:

It has always been a bit of a curiosity for me that there doesn't really seem to be any consequences for ravaging your way across the galaxy since there aren't really any major economic effects or even significant diplomatic effects (outside of fallen empires early to mid game) that would discourage you. Other empires don't really give a fig what you tend to do with the conquered remnants of another empire aside from, "be unhappy" or "maybe send insults" even if they were former allies of said empire. It tends to garner a map painting simulator sort of feel in a vanilla EU IV kind of way. Really looking forward to Banks, but also suffering from the not wanting to play until the patch comes out syndrome.

As an aside, I used several of the trading mods off of the workshop from time to time and the extra civilian traffic definitely brings the galaxy to life, especially the silly billboards.

I've said it before but this game desperately needs more empire <-> empire interaction. Right now there's not much you can do with other empires other then inevitably and eventually conquering them. There's literally no benefit to being Good Buds with your neighbors that you can't get better from invading them. Which incidentally is why pacifism is so exceptionally weak in-game - there's no reward for it! Of course, this is magnified by how terrible and fairly pointless Federations are. Last game I had someone desperately asking me nonstop to join their lovely federation, except doing so would mean I lose my ability to slowly annex my neighbors above me, to absolutely no gain, because I was stronger then almost everyone else in that federation combined. I guess you gain high diplomatic relations with everyone else in the federation, but why should I give a poo poo about that?

Also this thread title is a sad fart, and now people are gathering around to scream about how they loving trolled us with the sad fart, so I'm glad we hit that in four pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The only time I've found land army forces to matter is when an event goes terribly wrong and a planet is invaded by titanic life or terraforming goes terribly wrong and hordes of ravenous mutants begin infesting my countryside. This is because, maybe due to bug, maybe mod, I found I still technically owned those planets, so I couldn't bombard them, and in turn the enemy was big enough that I needed an extremely substantial army to dislodge them - like, more then 30 troops, easily.

The last one was especially annoying because they put the planet on auto-purge to remove everyone, and the rest of my pops immediately began screaming at me for purging people even though I didn't purge them, it was the goddamn mutants

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
"Fine tune your ships to counter your enemy" runs into the problem of not being able to actually know what your enemy is fielding until they're at your doorstep. It is to some degree yet another reason why the game needs more non-war ways to interact with other empires - being able to actually spy on them and learn what their main weapon and/or defense types are would be huge. It would basically justify being able to fine tune your navy.

Also yes, ship-mounted FTL jammers would be pretty great.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Skipping cruisers just seems insane to me. They're amazing. Combine plasma throwers with kinetic artillery and you will murder just about everything.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Just to throw it out there, one other flaw in AlphaMod is that everything it adds is goddamn hideously ugly.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm actually guessing something that allows either the transfer of resources or global food, which would tie in nicely with the orbitals.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Note that war costs are absolutely absurd, so most of the time you can't just force an entire empire to be your vassal, even if you literally could - and likely will have to - manually conquer every single planet on your own.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I can only imagine the rotating presidency of federations is there as a bizarre balance mechanic to ensure you don't just get a free second fleet, because otherwise it is too inane to grasp.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Until there's a way to meaningfully interact with other empires beyond warring with them, the game cannot really be played in a pacifist manner.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I forget if it's been asked - and/or answered - but is there any chance something will change so I don't aggro on every goddamn wormhole generator or mining station when I just want to conquer some rear end in a top hat? Chasing enemy fleets goes from "ok that's viable" to "this is a pain in the loving rear end" when my entire fleet slows to a crawl because there was an energy mine on their sun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Instead of more Stellaris devs, get the guy in charge of White Wolf here so we can ask him what the gently caress.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I've had literally zero troubles ever with my general fleet of Battleship/Cruiser/Cruiser. First cruiser is the workhorse, second one is my shield; first one goes for half kinetic artillery, half plasma (my battleships do the same, but they also stick an XL Lance on top), the second one is four medium flak and one medium ripper. The shield cruisers remove any possibility of both missiles AND corvettes; they just rip through them.

Also, all torpedo corvettes are sincerely the worst idea due to how ship targeting works. You want to mix them up with plasma.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I forgot how loving terrible Beyond Earth was.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
So uh...does indoctrination not work? I've got two observation posts who've been doing it for years and there's been no change on the pops below. I can't actually tell when I should see an effect as it doesn't really tell me itself how it works.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ok, I FINALLY indoctrinated some of the pops on a planet to my ethos. Looks like full indoctrination will take an excrutiatingly long time. Might actually be easier to just uplift the bastards, then incorporate them in and use my tools there to iron them into the right path.

In fact screw might. Will probably be easier.

Also, and this is not a complaint, but the early game really is harder now that Consumer Goods exist to drain your minerals!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I dunno if it's something weird with my game, the bizarre side effect of a mod, or how it's intended to be, or just a bug, but FEs don't seem to give a poo poo about anyone but me. I have a xenophobic FE here that will declare war on my if I come anywhere near their space, and yet two other empires are openly settling more or less right next door, and they don't seem to care.

EDIT: If that's working as planned then that is the dumbest loving thing.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I can only assume this is the hilarious result of like, several bugs colliding, but I currently have an entirely stable hive mind as part of my non-hive mind empire.

So, and a bunch of this is conjecture, I got a message saying that a bunch of refugees had moved in after they were being purged and executed by their horrible ruler. I double check and realize that, uh, they're a hive mind. So I look over and find out that the empire they fled from had just finished conquering them.

So my assumption here, right? Is that the hive-mind "dies in other empires" trait is configured through purging. Like, mechanically speaking, the way the game sets them all up to die is by using the same mechanic as purging. I dunno, I haven't played a hive-mind. So when they got conquered, they were set to be purged - which triggered my super lovey dovey egalitarian peacenik space elves (WITH THE GREATEST FLEET THE GALAXY HAS EVER SEEN), resettling them. At which point...nothing happened. Maybe because I can't purge, maybe refugees can't flock and immediately be purged, maybe hive minds aren't supposed to BE ABLE to refugee and the game lost it's ability to manage poo poo when that happened - I have no idea. Nobody died. I now have an entirely stable hive mind as one of my many imperial species.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Cruiser, 1 large kinetic artillery, all others medium plasma, max shields. Make a lot. Flavor with artillery battleships (I like lances) with 2ka 2plasma, and some pd/flak cruisers with some autocannons as needed. That fleet has easily and consistently punched above it's weight againt drat near anything.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I'm playing non-fanatical pacifist and I likewise had huge troubles trying to make a federation until the War in Heaven solved that problem. Even just having it set to defensive wars only ensured almost nobody wanted to join up, even if they themselves weren't militarist (which half the galaxy was). It was more then a little irritating.

Speaking of, my current game is, uh, quite the loving thing, thanks to some mods. Namely, the LEX.

I was rolling Pacifist/Egalitarian/Spiritualist, so I could be space elf hippies. It was going really good! Lots of early expansion opportunities, and I tend to be pretty fastidious about keeping my fleet in order, so I never had to worry about the aggressive slave empire to the north starting any poo poo. In fact, due to me being the only egalitarian empire, I was getting lots of colonies all OVER the place, as planets rebelled against their horrible overlords and joined my co-op. Still though, things weren't going SUPER great, because I was the only egalitarian, and maybe the only pacifist? And nobody wanted to join my federation. And in fact, there were no federations at all, period. So, wanting to spice things up and grow, I had just begun a war of liberation against the slave empire north of me...when the xenophobes next to said slave empire started to get, uh, interested. And then the xenophile FE to the southeast started to get interested in turn, and soon enough, it's War in Heaven time. I somehow end up the leader of the unaligned federation (and NOW everyone wants to join up, the fuckers), the xenophiles declare war on us, and we beat them back because my fleet is absurd. At the time, I have a small colony near the xenophiles that I don't actually have to defend a lot, because for whatever reason the xenophiles themselves weren't doing a whole lot in this war - it's vassals were doing all the assaulting. This colony was in one of LEX's systems; gaia world with four pillars on the planet, and four corresponding obelisks in the system. I know it'll go to hell, I also think, fuckin' whatever. Deal with that later.

The War in Heaven is going well...when I get the notification that Weird poo poo is afoot, and sure enough, the Unbidden pop in. Directly inside my empire, like, right in the loving middle of it. The Xenophile FE immediately sues for a simple peace, which I agree to, and I go up to deal with the Unbidden. Only to find that my fleet is, in fact, absurd, and I destroy the Unbidden before they can even lay a single anchor down. While I'm routing the Unbidden entirely, that LEX colony is telling me that poo poo is getting weird, and I kinda ignore it because there's not much I can do about it.

And then that colony disappears.

And so does all colonies on the systems around it.

And so does all territory even REMOTELY around it.

One of my biggest allies in the federation has lost 3/4ths of their territory. The xenophile FE may as well be GONE. That entire corner of space is now simply called "The Garden," and it is filled to the brim with leviathan level enemies. Just a loving TON of them.

As it currently stands, one of my federation partners has dropped out to become my vassal straight up. The rest of my federation wanted to declare war on the other FE and it's vassals, the xenophobic one. There's technically a third spiritualist FE in the upper corner just keeping to itself. On my part, I'm absorbing that vassal into becoming a full blown sector, as I rebuild my fleet and eye what remains of the empire to the north, eager to finally destroy it and bring it's people FREEDOM.

All said and done, I'm still blown away from the tone event that just ripped apart almost the entire southern part of the map, destroying a full awakened FE and shredding some of my allies in the process. It was awesome in the best and worst ways.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
You know, as much as people talk up pacifism being weirdly weighted to show up everywhere, I'm finding xenophobia is the one I see non-loving-stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Mentally rename "Unity" to "mental hold" then. It represents your ability to shape and change the hivemind as a whole. You need more as your population grows because, well, duh, the hivemind is bigger and more and more spread out, so you require more mental hold over them.

• Locked thread