Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Stellaris is a 4x Space Strategy Game developed by Paradox, who are usually best known for their historical grand strategy games, such as Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria, and Crusader Kings. Instead of taking a historical approach, this quite obviously delves into sci-fi territory, where your horrible xenophobic murder geckos can enslave, massacre, and genocide adorable space butterflies, all while a variety of other factions do their own things in their corners of the galaxy until you come across them.

Although the game received a quite poor rep at release for being rather feature-poor (much to the surprise of no one who has ever played a Paradox game), it has improved drastically with a number of content patches (also much to the surprise of no one who has ever played a Paradox game), and even now, it is continuously being worked on and improved, not only by Paradox themselves, but also by a variety of modders that have expanded the basic game to great lengths.

Features:

- Customizable Space Nations: Make Space Great Again with a number of different races, ranging from.....

Space Mammals, to....

Space Geckos, to......

Space Cthulhus!

Your specific species can be customized utilizing Ethics and Traits. The best way to describe these is that Ethics are what your people believe in and are governed by, and Traits are the genetic hallmarks of your species. As the Ethics system is due for a major overhaul in the next patch which is coming soon, there is little point to going into the ethics at the moment. Traits can range from anything from your species being extraordinarily long lived, or slow breeding, or super-intelligent, or solitary loners.

- Ship Designer: The ship designer allows you to customize how your ships are built, and allows for a range of different weaponry to be mounted on ships ranging from Corvettes all the way up to Battleships, with corresponding increases in firepower, armor, and specialty with each ship class.

- A Variety of Events: These can range from the mundane, like finding out that a gas giant was actually just a very barren dusty wasteland, to discovering that the planet you just settled is totally groovy man, ignore the addictive substance in the air.

DLCs (Free or Otherwise):

- Plantoids Species Pack: Lets you play as plants. Adds plantoid portraits, ships, cities, and names. Generally agreed to not be worth spending full price on, and definitely not necessary for enjoying the game, as it adds no new events, features, or anything other than cosmetic stuff.

guys what do i do with my hands, help

- Leviathans Story Pack: Adds a bunch of neat stuff, like giant space monsters, and a variety of events to spice up gameplay.

The Enigmatic Fortress. So enigmatic, in fact, that I recommend you find out what it does in game yourself!

A Space Dragon. It vomits lasers.

- Horizon Signal: Written by Alexis Kennedy, better known for his fantastic work on Fallen London and Sunless Sea, this is an event chain that is better experienced than told about. You can access the chain through entering black hole systems with a science ship.
WHAT WAS, WILL BE; WHAT WILL BE, WAS

Kitchner posted:

What is the state of the game?

People keep asking "Is this game good yet?". The long answer is that it's definitely a fun game, and if you're a huge sci fi nerd and like other Paradox games, this is definitely something to put on your wish list. The core game is fun, though still really being developed to find a solid direction and feel (yes I know it's released already but that's not how things are done in Sweden), and there are enough mods to keep yourself amused playing it for a long time. Like a fine wine, this game will continue to improve as long as the devs keep churning out good patches and DLC, and the promising total conversion mods don't become vapourware and get finished being fleshed out.

However, in this post-Trump world we have very little time to read long answers (as we are all watching Twitter to signal the start of WW3) and thus I have produced a handy chart you can refer to for the short answer below:

* Star Citizen in Chris Robert's Coke Addled Brain
* Best Empire Space Game of Our Generation
* You Better Just Be Reading This Post While Stellaris Downloads
* On Sale, Off Sales, Just Buy It
* A Fun Game, Featuring: Some Issues <------ CURRENT STATE OF THE GAME
* Meh, OK I Guess
* I Wish I Got It On Steam Sale
* I Wish I Refunded It
* Star Citizen in Reality

Mods:

There are quite a lot of mods on the Workshop, that range everywhere from total conversions, such as the Star Trek mod, to minor gameplay adjustments, to UI overhauls, to adding your favorite Space Nazis from Mobile Suit Gundam.

Zakus Included, Warcrimes and Colony Drops Optional.

Lum_ posted:

Big List O' Mods!

All of these mods work with the current version, though they may flag as being outdated.

Total Conversions
Star Trek: New Horizons - turns Stellaris into a Star Trek grand strategy game. Many game systems are changed, and by default you play in an 'accurate' galaxy map (Earth is near the Vulcans, the Borg are eating their half of the map, etc.) With the current version you can start as Enterprise-era United Earth and form the Federation through events dynamically. Includes pretty much everything you'd think of in a Star Trek game.
Eve Online: Horizons - turns Stellaris into a grand strategy version of Eve. Includes all the faction ships and all those fiddly components you remember. Mittens not included.
Star Wars: A Galaxy Divided - turns Stellaris into Stellaris Of The Old Republic (aka Star Wars but thousands of years before the movies)

Big Ol Gameplay Mods
Alphamod - probably the most popular "moah stuff" mod
Combo Modpack - "Lum_, I don't like installing mods and worrying if they still work!" Install this one. It adds a ton of stuff (including most of the ones below) and in some cases the compiler fixes them so they work together/are updated.

New Stuff To Break Your Game
Fallen Empires Expanded - not enough ancient empires to push your face in? Add more! With new types including everyone's favorite antagonists the Humans. Also with the option for YOU to start on completely overpowered initial setups like ringworlds so you can compete.
Stellaris Zero - really ambitious attempt to add factions and politics because I guess the author just couldn't wait for the upcoming 1.5 patch. It makes games amusingly broken with every empire fracturing into squabbling single-world principalities, but that may be your thing!
Networked AI - another "I CAN'T WAIT FOR A 1.5 FEATURE!!1!" mod, this adds playable robots as a race. Purge the flesh, meatbags.
No Clustered Starts - tired of starting next to slavering militarists curbstomping you just when you get your first colony out? This mod enforces a nice distance between everyone. Note: have clustered starts ON when this mod is active to use; I know that makes no sense but that's how it works!
Call of Cthulhu and associated additions - did you REALLY like Horizon Signal? Now the entire galaxy can sing to you the forbidden songs of space. Not responsible for failed SAN checks (yes, it adds those)
Enhanced AI - my guess is it enhances the AI! Not sure if it really does, or if it's just a placebo!
Gods and Guardians - lets you really toy with primitive species. Make them worship you! Drop those monoliths from 2001 on them! Have them work as slaves! Or just, I dunno, be benevolent (don't do this)
LEX (Leviathans Extended) - three new Leviathans so you can have more space dragons to kill.

User Interface/Graphics Improvements
Blue Theme - I like blue. Do you like blue? You should try it, then.
UI Overhaul 1080p - if you have 1920x1080 or better this makes windows larger so you don't scroll as much.
Better Looking Humans - because the default Human portraits are kinda lame

goons.mod (these are actually good, btw)
National Emblem Pack - By Swiss Knight, now you can have all your drat hammers, sickles, and other national symbols. (No swastikas because ) Hasnt been updated in forever but still works fine because it's just a bunch of images.
Ofaloaf's Victorian Portraits - because if you don't like your space otters wearing 17th century French uniforms, you are a bad person and you should feel bad.
Stellar Expansion - a "moah stuff" mod like Alphamod, but better thought out and more modular

Cheats... er... Game System Improvements
Multiple Crisis - use if you think the Unbidden never say "hm, the Prethoryn were here already, let's just skip the whole ripping apart space and time thing"
Flexible Core Planet Cap - use if you hate sectors/love micromanagement
Auto Build and Improve Buildings - hate micromanagement? have the computer do it for you! Includes a core cap limit, and combining the two is pretty much 100% cheating.
Advanced Ship Behavior Modules - allows you to specify exactly the range of your ships to engage. I mean, come on, it's not like you don't KNOW the range of your lasers.
Auto-Survey At Start "I don't WANNA wait until halfway into the game to not babysit my exploration ships!" Install this mod, bam, done.

Discord:

I made a Discord channel for discussing Stellaris and also for setting up multiplayer games.

https://discord.gg/gGFayaj

Enjoy!

fishception fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Bholder posted:

Yeah, but...

is the game good?

(yes, it is)

yes

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Lum_ posted:

Big List O' Mods!

[actual content coming shortly]

roger that, i'll put it in the OP when you're done

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
there's some drama on the comments for alpha mod, apparently the creator is mad that his glorious vision isn't being fawned over by pdox

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
tbh my first choice for the OP title was "Stellaris - Say What You Will About The Tenets Of Collectivism, At Least It's An Ethos", but that joke is about to vanish next patch

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I was halfway asleep after a night shift while making it and I wanted to do something simple and easy without trying to be witty, so let's talk about the game in this thread designed for talking about the game

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Added all suggested things to OP, including "is game worth" and updated Lum's mod list as well.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I've been super inactive since writing the OP, sorry, works been super busy. Anything that desperately needs adding to the OP?

Oh and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA EXPANSIOOOOOOOOOON

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

King Doom posted:

Wasn't that how one of those spaceship animes ended?

I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW MACROSS 7 IS A MASTERPIECE OF ANIMATION AND FURTHERMORE

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Have you considered using sex to make their utopian yet joyless existence collapse?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
drat I was hoping someone would get my Zardoz reference.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
There was a neat idea that the Gundam mod had for its mobile suits that you could build space squadrons of, where you could select the pilots to be rookies, veterans, Newtypes, and Cyber Newtypes, maybe that could be implemented as well where the pilots of vessels could be screened for their psionic potential and give bonuses to their ships, say, for an extra maintenance cost?

On the topic of Cyber Newtypes, are there any plans to allow forced psionic potential in folks?

edit: I am sorry I am a giant gundam nerd save me from myself

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

GlyphGryph posted:

Reminding people I want more custom goon races, a lot more, especially some FEs.

If you submitted in the old thread that was NOT to my mod but to the one that got abandoned so please resubmit here.

use the keyword SPECIES SUBMISSION so I notice your post

Also someone mention this in one the stellaris discords

mentioned them

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
it'd also be great if you could create different kinds of federations, like you could have your base alliance sort of federation, or a ur Quan battle thrall hierarchy sort of situation where there's one undisputed master of the whole shebang and everyone else provides ships or resources, kinda as like a mega-vassal thing that you can't annex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
sorry I haven't been updating the OP extensively, I honestly thought that the new expansion would be out

let me know if there's anything that needs to be added on PMs, also, we should probably make a decision if we start a new thread for the expansion or not, or if you just want me to binge play it for a day and whip up a new OP once it drops

• Locked thread