Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The thread title must be good because haha it's triggering the hell out of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I would like the ship designer a million times more if you had some degree of customizing ship appearance. Unit designers in strategy games pretty much inevitably have the problem where players learn what stuff is good and what is bad with the result that there's not really much actual choice to them but some appearance customization would add a lot of longevity. Like in GalCiv once you've learned how combat and loadouts work it's still really cool to design ship how your ships look. The whole argument in favor of unit designers is giving players a greater sense of ownership over their forces and this would add a heck of a lot to it. It definitely doesn't have to be as expansive as GalCiv's ship designer, but there should be something

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

So what the hell am I supposed to do at the end of the game? Awakened Empire is big enough it can stomp my fleets and I can rebuild and just do it all over again and again and again, but even that takes a significant amount of time, even at Fastest speed. Going to war against them they're so powerful that it's almost impossible to get my warscore up to 100 to try and start peeling off their systems. To me this is just a boring unfun slog, is there some gameplay aspect I'm missing?

Nah, endgame generally devolves into a slog, either because you can't beat the awakened empires/crises or because you have beaten the awakened empires/crises and there's nothing left to do.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mazz posted:

Click on planet/surface, hit B, pick a building, do it 15-20 more times in about 40 seconds, move on to next thing. I'm not sure how this is so problematic for some of you, without it the game would like 80% waiting on things and 3% warfare. The other 17% would also be waiting on things.

You must have a seething hatred of Stellaris because what you just described sounds like the worst game ever.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GotLag posted:

It always slightly confused me that materialists got the direct democracy with the happiness boost. Surely that would have fit individualists better.

If I remember right, the direct democracy had all the citizens implanted with chips so they could vote on things instantly just by thinking so it's materialist because it's enabled by high tech stuff.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Release party stream: "Humans are no longer quick learners, because I mean, if so 2016 would never have happened..." :drat:

Lol that it took them until now to figure out that us humans are some real dumbfucks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

God drat, but the early AI just cheats like a motherfucker now. 30 years in, with five worlds and 33 people, I've got a respectable fleet cap of 25, filled up with corvettes. I discover a neighbor who hates me on sight, see that he's got only 4 worlds and a 26 population, and decide to declare war. Naturally, he pulls out a fleet of 6 destroyers, 33 corvettes, because I'm sure it's very credible that he has a fleet cap of 45 somehow.

Remember that spaceports and spaceport upgrades add to your fleet cap as well. If, say, you only had a spaceport at your homeworld but your enemy built them all over their empire and upgraded them too then they would have a substantial fleet cap advantage.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Still wish there was a difficulty level between normal and hard. Normal feels like too much of an easy mode babby game while hard feels like a huge leap especially if you're a bit rough from not playing the game since the last big update came out. If I remember right hard just gives the AI +50% to a whole bunch of stuff so it shouldn't be a big deal to make another level that gives +25% instead.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Why the gently caress are sectors building robots when they've got no tiles for them to work and already have unemployed pops?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So the description says it adds UP TO 1/3 of your research per month if you are surveying, how is it doubling then? Is there something actually broken with the mechanics? From reading the description it sounds like so long as you have at least one science ship surveying it gives you a nice 33% extra science, which is still huge. But multiple ships are stacking the bonus? How's it actually calculating?

It doesn't say "up to" anywhere:

quote:

Gain Research Points equal to a third of our monthly gain when surveying planets.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Well it's cool that for the first time almost a year since release that I managed to finish the precursor stuff but turns out the revealed system is in the closed borders of a civ that hates my guts and is way stronger than me so I guess I'm never gonna see what the point of that was.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

This does absolutely no good if the war breaks and I have ever had it not break. And then the crisis inevitably happens in the middle of the broken war and when you beat it back three awakened empires including your ally who all decided to declare war on you and join the empire you have been stuck in a war with for five decades. Also you cant win any of those wars because taking every planet still only gives you like 10 warscore lol

The best thing to do is just kill the other of any pair of opposed empires as soon as one awakens
and prevent the bullshit from ever kicking off.

There should be an option to disable WIH without having to disable the rest of Leviathans DLC because pretty much everything else in it is great. WIH was a cool concept and one that I looked forward to but its execution was about as bad as it could possibly have been.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Poil posted:

It's also hilariously impossible to cripple an AI who is using wormholes, they don't suffer from micromanagement fatigue and will endlessly send out construction ships to rebuild the stations in every single system, forever.

I find it funny as hell that you can't order constructors to build wormhole station from the galaxy map like you can research and mining stations. How is that still an issue almost a year past release lol

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I keep falling behind on tech compared to other civs. Any tips?

Planetary Survey Corps under the Discovery tradition branch is a real shot of steroids into your research muscles. And if you got some catching up to do it can't hurt to bully smaller but more advanced civs so you can loot their tech.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I hate how trigger-happy the AI is on that emergency retreat button. I'm at war with a civ that has similar fleet strength to me but instead of fighting they've split their navy in two and sent them to raid my systems I guess and so when my fleet arrives he emergency retreats (and gets to do that before any actual fighting because he's technically in combat by getting stuck on mining stations). It's not even a useful strategy because every time the AI is eating a fat chunk of his own ship HP without my fleet taking any damage and all he accomplishes is maybe blowing up a starport and some mining stations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

You know with respect to the issue of AI empires sniping your precursor event chain ending, I don't even care if the home system spawns on the other side of the galaxy or whatever. I don't care if some other empire surveys it first. They just need to take out the dumb "first person to survey it wins!!!" poo poo and I'd be fine.

Straight up give everyone who didn't meticulously piece together their ancient history the consolation prize reward. Because they probably don't understand what they're surveying enough to take advantage of it.

I love how after scouring the galaxy for clues about this ancient lost civilization, the first thing your scientists do after piecing together the location is to apparently broadcast it to every other loving civilization in the galaxy lol

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Move a few small fleets into their space so they start chasing them and kill the separate groups one at a time. Retreat whenever it looks bad. If you have a big ball of stupid stations where you are retreating to this helps a ton. Dumping them into a warp snare surrounded by -fire rate stations makes them far easier to kill, particularly if you baited them into attacking you and have the harmony defensive bonuses.

Yep, this is the strat I used a few months ago when the last update hit and it brutalizes AEs. If you get good at timing system jumps you can sometimes get it so your fleet jumps in directly behind theirs which is great because they rely a lot on XL-sized forward-facing weapons. Between that and flak for their fighter spam you can mop the floor with them while taking only token losses.

On a totally different note, does it seem that the AI vastly overproduces food? I get that there's a growth bonus for excess food production but holy moly whenever I conquer planets or look at my sectors there are just stupid numbers of farms (and of course lots of capitals sitting on Betharian tiles). I'm getting +328 excess every month now because of sectors and conquests.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dolash posted:

The latest DLC has me thinking about playing again, but catching up also leads to reading about planned future updates and fixes that make me want to hold off for those too. But of course, I held off before because I'd read about Unity and thought I should wait until that comes out.

Something tells me waiting forever for perfect conditions is probably non-optimal but it's hard to snap out of.

I delayed a couple weeks and then played it pretty recently and thought that the game pretty much still has all the same nagging issues that become really annoying after playing for a little while, including a lot of things that I can't help but think "holy moly it's almost a year after release how is this or that not fixed." I still had fun with it but I feel like it's still in a position that if you liked it at release you'll like it now and if you didn't then you probably still won't.

Honestly it probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world to just forget Stellaris exists for the next 4-5 years while they fix it like all their products.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

I believe they mentioned defense stations possibly being changed to take up fleet capacity, which I think is a great idea because it lets them be buffed while still keeping it balanced. Maybe with that, you actually can be able to build defenses that can stand up to a fleet.

I agree, I liked how they mentioned defenses as being more efficient in terms of military strength per fleet cap but with the obvious disadvantage of not being able to project power. It's the sort of thing that could do a lot to help wars not be an all or nothing doomstack hellwar that they are now. At the moment, there is virtually never any reason to not go to 100% warscore whereas in say CK2 or EU4 there are lots of occasions where it's plenty worthwhile to make peace at a lower warscore and take what you really want because continuing to wage war might be slow and expensive due to fortifications and might leave you diplomatically vulnerable.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ded posted:

Well I've learned my lesson. Never ever allow 2 fallen empires to be in your game unless you take one out as fast as possible. Leave them alone and they will both wake up and go to war with you in the middle. Ugh.

Yeah, if I don't time my development to allow me to basically throttle fallen empires in the cradle as soon as they awaken then it's pretty much good game for that run because gently caress dealing with war in heaven or an AE that will just keep multiplying in strength as time goes on.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
In all my time playing Stellaris I've never seen the AI rebellion.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't get why we can't just have something like the ledger from EU4. It's always cool to find out that "equivalent" can mean "has a fleet twice the size of yours"

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Deformed Church posted:

Is there a way to see all the untapped mining/research points in my empire?

Panning around all my newly conquered regions and hunting little white numbers is a bit of a pain.

If you toggle off the detail checkbox towards the bottom right of the screen it will only display the numbers that are in your empire and unexploited.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

How exactly is the War in Heaven supposedly broken?

It basically renders all diplomacy up to that point irrelevant and the Awakened Empires never actually fight each other. They just sort of fart around with their mega doomstack fleets doing nothing. Unless you're able to take the AEs down by yourself then you get to see the game reach new heights of stagnation. All the jump drive usage also makes it nearly impossible for any crisis other than the unbidden to show up. It'd probably be shorter to list the ways in which War in Heaven is not broken.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm not sure what to tell you if CK2 is your idea of deep strategy

So what's your idea of a strategy game with a lot of depth?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
All this enigmatic fortress talk reminds me that I've never gotten to do it. It always spawns deep in some other faraway civ's borders and after whatever amount of time it's just gone. What's weird is that AI civs seem to ignore pretty much every other leviathan thing even if they're strong enough to curbstomp it and I've never found any of its tech on any fleet debris so I guess they're either not getting stuff from it or just not using it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Has there ever been a 4X-style game with an espionage system that was fun and good? I know the rock-paper-scissors ship combat kind of begs for it, but that's because it's fundamentally a really bad system and Stellaris' particular quirks make it even worse.

The problem is that almost every instance of strategy game espionage focuses on sabotage rather than intelligence gathering. Micromanaging agents and poo poo so you can hurt your enemies in really inconsequential ways is garbage but figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of your enemy is a pretty fundamental piece of strategy that should be a no-brainer.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I think that the real problem with it is that unless you restrict it to human players only, it has to be deeply limited for it to be meaningful. Otherwise it's either a mandatory minigame or a constant annoyance. For example, being able to scope out another empire's ship designs and then redesign your ships to counter them sounds good in a vacuum, but it's really only a good system in a single-player game: if that other empire can do the same thing to you, then the "rock-paper-scissors" system breaks down almost completely.

The thing is that there isn't really much of a rock-paper-scissors system in the game anyway and what little there is is rendered pretty meaningless by the fact that you usually don't know what the enemy is using anyway until you're already fighting and that like 99% of the time wars are just a matter of which side has the bigger fleet. Personally I don't really care much about it with regards to the game's bad ship design system; I'd be more interesting in using it to figure out stuff like how big the enemy fleet is, which spaceports are their centers of fleet production, whether they have the energy reserves or income to fight a long war or minerals to rebuild if they take losses, and where their research has been invested. The fleet power, capacity, and tech strength indicators in the game don't really give you a good idea of where empires are in comparison to each other (I'm sure most of us have at some point encountered the situation where an empire with equivalent fleet strength actually has a fleet twice as large as yours).

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Battleships are inefficient as heck but usually at the time when fallen empires start awakening and the unbidden invades they're just about all I build because anything else is just too much loving clicking. I don't understand how corvette spammers stand it unless they're using some hotkey script thing.

How did this game release without a fleet designer? How does it still not have one a year after release? Or at least like "hold shift + click to build 5 of whatever."

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

the only good army tech is clone armies because who cares if you gently caress up and they die

Pretty much. There's no reason to build anything else.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TTBF posted:

I started an ironman game for the purposes of trying to get that achievement for making everyone into robots. I ended up spawned between a fallen empire and some fanatical purifiers who blocked my hyperlane paths out of the spiral arm. Luckily I saw that Sol was not only two jumps from my homeworld, but also in the middle of a world war. Since that's an achievement I decided to go for it before quitting. So I made some assault armies, gave them some attachments, and invaded Earth. Didn't get the achievement.

I've got a mod installed that unlocks the auto-explore tech for everyone at the start of the game. I don't know if that's the issue or not. When I started the campaign the screen said I could earn achievements. Did I miss some condition beyond "invade Earth during a world war" or was the game mistaken about me being able to earn achievements?

One trick to finding out if your mod setup is cheevo compatible is to go to the multiplayer screen and if you don't get any available games then it's not compatible. As a general rule, the only mods that are achievement compatible are just cosmetic (and even then some purely cosmetic mods still don't work). Would be a good thing to just have the game say whether it's currently capable of getting achievements though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Isn't that significantly more interesting than just having the hyperlane chokes/terrain on its own? and not exactly more complicated, either.

No.

• Locked thread