Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Libluini posted:

Oh man, I always wondered what would happen if you get that dead race event when you already have synths. (I always get it around the time I have just standard robots and trying to upload people into toasters... Well, let's say it didn't end well.)

On the other hand, it's nice to know I stumbled over the optimal outcome on accident: If you don't have droids, keep the dead race's minds for safekeeping. If you get droids, you'll get an event popping up giving you two choices: Purging the data or uploading into droid bodies. If you do it now, you'll get an entire planet colonized with some droid pops on it. I'm guessing it'll work the same if you already have droids, because otherwise that would be an incredible troll by Paradox. :v:

Edit:

In my current game, one of my first planets had titanic life on it and my scientist immediately woke up Godzilla and his buddies. Took me a dozen armies and two generals to stop this rampage. :shepface:

Sometimes I love this dumb game

My first colony in my current game had titanic life and now I have titanic psionic soldiers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Any tips for building my federation? I have a couple species with max trust and high opinion that won't join because they dislike me, which doesn't seem correct.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gitro posted:

So is there any way to stop the pop I chemical blissed way back from randomly getting withdrawal symptoms?

Once you pop you cannot stop

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

I actually would strongly recommend against Cybrxkhan's namelist for one simple reason: it turns all the star names into strings of letters and numbers which, while accurate to what stars are named in the real world, makes it utterly impossible to actually remember anything about any of them individually in game unless you rename them all (which kind of defeats the purpose).

I think that a better reason not to use it would be because of the author's incest mod

quote:

My Other Mods

More AI Personalities: A mod that introduces tons of new AI personalities, adding more variety to the game.
Stellaris Incest Mod - Bring Xwedodah to the Stars!: A mini-mod that adds a special "Divine Marriage" trait and other related features such as new incest-related AI personalities and leader traits, for players who want a bit of CKII magic.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There's no mechanic for loving in Stellaris AFAIK

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Just had a War in Heaven pop at the same time as the Unbidden decided to bust in. Wonderful.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

This Unbidden fleet keeps going between an abandoned Derelict battleship I got from a quest at the beginning of the game and this planet and back again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ZypherIM posted:

Try restarting your game, sometimes the AI gets stuck somewhere and the good old "turn it off and back on" gets it going.

Considering I am being destroyed, I think I'm gonna let this one ride.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Are fighters and bombers any good? I want them to be, there's nothing cooler then spacecraft carriers IMHO.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Korgan posted:

The Horizon Signal event doesn't interact well with psychics, especially if, like me, you had a colony ship out when you went latent psionic, leaving one planet of non-psychics. And then another colony ship went out while you fully embraced the precursor species from Horizon Signal. And then the end of Horizon Signal giving you yet another subspecies, for a total of four.

Top Viss is Latent Psionic, bottom two are full Psionic.

Then I got the notification that one of my Viss has latent psionic potential, and we can awaken that if we choose. I did, and...

Now I'm latently Psionic and Psionic and I got the best habitability on all my pops, but I'm no longer considered the founder race of my empire. In fact, nobody is the founder of my empire. This can only end well.

It's a little less wonky with Cyborgs but not by much!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I've never seen that chain :(

Hang out around black holes. There are a few different ways for it to start but black holes are fairly important to it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I got 5 out of 6 required precursor/first league artifacts but can't find the 6th needed, are they only in one corner of the galaxy? Because if so I'm boned as I've surveyed everything there.

After a while they'll just spawn near your empire with an event

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Are the Unbidden always supposed to spawn like 2 empires away from me?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

titanic beast steps on avatar, wonders what all the fuss was about

I love my titanic sons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Drug your aliens, build more robots

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is Flak or the dedicated point defense better for shooting stuff down?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ixjuvin posted:

I gave the erstwhile Blood Host a Stern Talking-To (backed by battle droids and an apologetic orbital bombardment) and they reformed into a much more amenable Trade Commission who have agreed to let me protect them from the horrors of the galaxy. Hopefully I can get the cute buggers integrated in a decade or so. :3:

Is Ethics Attraction, uh, working? The entire population of my homeworld got mutated into militarist assholes by a mad Scientist (he's my President now :ughh:) and I've been trying to flip their ethics back over, but despite my suppressing their faction and boosting my governing ethics attraction as much as I can it seems like nothing doing. Am I missing something here or what

I think that particular event just makes it really really hard to get rid of their faction

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Taear posted:

There are definitely some bugs with it right now. I've had "hates [my civilization] -1000" for a place that has +150 relationship with me.
Which is what the person you're both replying to is talking about.

Yeah, I've gotten that a lot even with friendly attitudes and have to rely on AI federation members inviting new members in. They seem pretty busted right now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cyrano4747 posted:

lol

I finally got to do the What Was Will Be quest line.

I had just finished ascending my pops to all be synths three months earlier. Having your home world turn into a tomb world is no biggie when you're immortal machines

It's no biggie normally, your pops in that system get mutated to have a tomb world preference

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

It's the best event. Hey my capital system now has like 15 habitable planets for free, yes please. I just wish it didn't change your pops appearance to the weird tentacle head things.

Is a War in Heaven inevitable or is there some trigger? I got one awakened empire and am waiting for another one to do a thing, I haven't seen this happen since I just got the DLCs a couple days ago.

There are multiple ways for Fallen Empires to wake up. Sometimes they fight the crisis, sometimes it's a war in heaven, sometimes one wakes and the other just stays chilled out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh poo poo. The tooltip said that'd end the event so I never did that because I wanted all them planets. I'll do that next time.

Killing the Worm seems pointless. You get so many planets and you can just terraform/genemod back to being normal anyway.

You can also just have the pops on your homeworld transformed, though you still get the militant faction and it gets wonky with stuff like Cyborgs and Psionics.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Things aren't really in decline either. It's kinda actually the opposite. You're playing as an up-and-comer species in a galaxy full of up-and-comers. The Fallen Empires are empires that just sorta secured their territory and decided to stop expanding or interacting with their contemporaries and ended up a stagnating, despite their incredible technology.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

binge crotching posted:

Why would you even bother with Ironman at that point? Just play a normal game and it'll run even faster to boot.

Cheevos

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Is it worthwhile at all to try a Hivemind? I have no idea how different they are from standard species.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jenny Angel posted:

Anyone got some good names for a theocratic oligarchy? I'm going to be playing my first game of this starting tomorrow in a multiplayer game with a friend who's much more experienced and who's gonna show me the mechanical ropes, but I'm still looking for a bit of inspiration on the flavor of my guys. I know I'm using the adorable snapping turtle portrait and calling them the Terapyne, and I know they're Egalitarian/Xenophile/Spiritual with a dominant faith that they believe mandates them to spread kindness and prosperity and paradise throughout the galaxy

With that context, I'm looking for something a little more exciting than "The Holy Terapyne Empire". Any thoughts on how to style the naming conventions of some friendly turtle missionaries?

The Benevolent Turtle's Republic of <planet>

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Yeah me too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fojar38 posted:

The mind boggles at the rationalizations you must make for the evolution and continued existence of the Space Dick Assholes race.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chexoid posted:

Stuff like Assimilation and the Utopia expansion are why I was so excited for Stellaris, even when the original product was a little bare. Paradox knows the exact type of sci-fi poo poo I want in this game.

Can't wait for the Alien loving DLC

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I don't really value growth as much as I need to it seems, I mean I always think it's nice to have, but I'm not rating it as a top priority for my Empire. Also what's the new habitability changes?

Higher growth speed means getting your planets up to speed faster and less time building robots. It's very useful when you're colonizing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Do we have any idea when 1.8 will pop up?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

SlyFrog posted:

I'm less concerned about the victory conditions than the completely stultifying boredom that exists if you don't play a militarily aggressive game.

As I said, maybe it doesn't need victory conditions, but something for xenophiles and pacifists to do to affect the game would be nice.

Start a new game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ephemeron posted:

Xenophiles should be able to conquer the universe by judiciously interbreeding with all other species. Go boldly or go home.

Complex, detailed dating sim mechanics coming soon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Me neither.

And while it's nice that they keep adding lots of flavor things it might be better if they focused on actually making the base gameplay enjoyable. Off the top of my head: fleet combat sucks, not having a fleet builder sucks, ground combat sucks, there's nothing to do that isn't forever war, end crises are boring, there's no espionage, and diplomacy is anemic at best and basically pointless at worst. And then there's the unity mechanic, which was a desperate attempt to tack on something to permit different playstyles, but ultimately boils down to choosing in what order you'll tick off a series of either minor or gamebreaking upgrades.

Be nice if this game had some sort of actual end goal for what it wants to be. I have no idea where this is supposed to be a year from now. Except that it will apparently have voice acting for some reason.

The people doing VO aren't the people programming combat

E: beaten like a pacifist xenophile

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, basically. People like to give EVE poo poo about being spreadsheets in space, but Aurora is literally a spreadsheet about 70% of the time.

Sounds bad

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LLSix posted:

It's weird that missiles are garbage. When the game first game out they were the best weapon for the early game and competitive up until late because of their range advantage. What changed?

They're still great early game but travel time, PD weapons and the fact that they just sorta disappear if the ship that fired them or the ship that they were fired at dies means they just aren't that good.

Next patch will have them find a new target if their current target is destroyed before impact so they might be worth using again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I've always thought "paperclip maximizer" ai problems would be way more interesting than straight robot rebellion stuff.

Like what if your military AIs refuse to let you end a war because you told them to kill and they're going to, whether you change your mind or not?

That would be a frustrating and a bad game mechanic

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

LLSix posted:

I just forced a Hive Mind to cede me one of its planets and now all the pops on the planet are being purged. I'm a xenophile democracy and my purge policy is set to prohibited. Is this some weird thing with Hive Minds?

Hive Minded pops can't survive away from the Hive Mind

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

At the very least, it'd be cool if there was a kind of Bicentennial Man-inspired event where a robot wants to be recognized as a human/organic.

Whenever you build a Synth you have to watch the entirety of Bicentennial Man

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

wiegieman posted:

I got pre-sentient Tomb World Roachlings and hammered that uplift button as fast as I could.

Hell yes

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Let me put FTL drives on defensive stations and also put them closer together so that might be occasionally useful in the late game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Main Paineframe posted:

I wish sectors preferred to build unique buildings. One of my sectored planets has Alien Pets, but when I turned on redevelopment, the sector just started replacing power plants and research labs with farms. It's stupid that I'm going to have to pay the 25-influence cost to desector the planet just to get a building that can only be built on that specific tile.

Don't let them redevelop

• Locked thread