Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Truga posted:

I'm completely new to this game, but can I dump my starting dudes entirely and replace them all with robots/androids? :v:

You can, but it's a huge pain in the rear end, because sectors seem to get extra retarded when they have only robot pops in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Stellaris: The substructure of the thread regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller arguments. Behind genocide we find political ideology, and behind ideology, thread titles. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm getting real mad at how this game handles combat: doomstacks. Every time I think I've got enough ships to go push some alien tentacle in, they pop out with a 3k fleet and smear me all over the quadrant. Then I go online to find a guide on how to win at combat, and the first advice is to turn off the auto-complete option for ship designs, and - argh!

This is an obtuse, frustrating mechanic where I need to have the best doomstack with the best weapons, and it's really, really tedious. :argh:

....So of course, I've come here to ask for tips. What's the best up-to-date guide on how to get good at combat? Can I leave auto-complete on and focus on pumping out cruisers?

If you're getting killed by a 3k fleet, the answer is build more ships. If you're at your fleet cap, the answer is build more spaceports. If you have no spaceports to build, or no minerals, the answer is expand faster.

At super early tech and industry levels like that, fleet design is pretty negligible, unless one side can afford to be building all destroyers or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Well, if one side is using missiles, that can account for poo poo performance. Never use missiles.

At 3k it barely even matters. But yeah, never use missiles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

For reference I've been playing Civ V/Endless Legend on standard lengths. Have I even left the early game? :psyduck:

You're at the later stage of the early game. I'd say 40k fleet power (total) is probably the demarcating line for the mid-game, since that's where the Fallen Empires can start doing stuff. Seems really far away, but once you're pushing 5 developed colones you can start expanding really fast.

Ofaloaf posted:

Woohoohoo, working on a Space Austria pack.

Space Austria presumably took over all of earth before conquering space, so there will be African and Asian portraits in there too.

If that's an Austrian pack why do the men all have the Wilhelm II moustache?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The truly egregious thing is the complete inability to truce break. When you get to the end and you're just trying to finish people off for your own personal reasons, you wind up sitting around for a lot of truces, meanwhile your opponent has no hope of recovering in that time anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:agreed:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only time I've found land army forces to matter is when an event goes terribly wrong and a planet is invaded by titanic life or terraforming goes terribly wrong and hordes of ravenous mutants begin infesting my countryside. This is because, maybe due to bug, maybe mod, I found I still technically owned those planets, so I couldn't bombard them, and in turn the enemy was big enough that I needed an extremely substantial army to dislodge them - like, more then 30 troops, easily.

This is why Psi Troops are so good. Build like 30 of them, drop them on a fully fortified planet, and they annihilate the enemy morale so fast that it's purely a matter of time until the planet drops. And as a Spiritualist you can get them super early to boot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RobotDogPolice posted:

Is there a good general guide for new players? What do you usually do with a fresh game?

Three keys to success in this game: expand, expand, expand.

First couple months, use your science ships (build an extra one) to locate some close by systems with minerals. Plop a frontier outpost down to claim them. If you can claim a planet in the process, so much the better. Build mining stations to collect minerals, don't worry about energy save for keeping a positive income. Research Colony Ships as your first biology tech. The same month you finish it, have 350 minerals saved up, order a colony ship and settle the best planet you can. At this point start building extra corvettes, up to your fleet cap. From now until the end of the game, poo poo out as many colony ships as possible, colonize anything with 60 habitability or better.

Periodically check on your neighbors diplomatic screens, if their fleet power is ever rated superior, build military ships like a madman. Kinetic Weapons and Plasma are best, avoid missiles and non-energy torpedoes. Generally speaking you want to be building towards your fleet capacity cap unless you're superior to all your neighbors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

If it's a standard ship size and you have the tech to build it, yes it will update.

But upgrades go by class name I think, so I wouldn't expect them to upgrade at all, barring a large coincidence.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

And I know it's already been said, but it's pretty important that ships not auto target these things. That would be super hosed up and awkward and frustrating. (Though obviously you should be able to manually gently caress them up if you wanted to be an rear end in a top hat.)

Ships should target them with an appropriate Purge policy. If those filthy xenos want to make it easier for me to purge them quickly, I see no reason not to avail myself the opportunity.

I'm very curious to see how defensible they'll wind up being though. Wiz, is this your take on the Prosperity/Devastation mechanic that's slated to come to EU4?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Occupying all of one sides planets should be an automatic 100WS (I've never seen the AI not surrender immediately after this happens), do they have allies?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, they had allies. But the guy who actually delcared war on me had all his planets blockaded and occupied. I guess I needed to blockade his allies too?

Yuuup. Or wait for the "length of war" modifier to tick down. It's dumb.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

How the hell do I offer someone to be my protectorate. Like, sure you're a one planet joke of a thang but I still covet your wormhole tech and your science bonuses alongside arctic preference.

Do I just have to wait for things to go up to friendly with trust building? There are no other actions I can take as far as I can tell thus far; no diplomats or other things like that.

Is there any vassal management at all in the game right now? Say what you want about EUIV, at least by now they've made it cool and interesting to have vassals with you.

The option should be there unless the tech disparity isn't big enough, in which case you make them your vassal. Pretty sure you don't get tech bonuses for being the overlord of a protectorate though, it's the other way around.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Any advice for wormhole species?

Pat yourself on the back for choosing the best FTL type. You can build wormhole stations outside your own territory, you'll need to do this to keep your science ships active. Build a wormhole station in every system with an inhabited planet. Build redundancy into your network in case a station gets destroyed. Jump time scales with fleet size; if you need to move a big fleet fast, split it into chunks, and send them along parallel paths, reuniting at the destination. If you build wormhole stations at the extreme edge of the system, and along directions with no nearby systems, they're much less likely to be blown up by the AI. If one of your ships ever gets stranded outside the network for whatever reason, hit the Return button, and they'll go MIA for a bit, then reappear at the nearest owned planet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

Finally, a game that makes Magna Mundi look good by comparison.

:v:

Presumably people in the Paradox office were play testing whatever half-functional demos were produced? Are there horror stories still told around the office about it?

don't get me wrong, I loved MM for EU3, but holy poo poo that game

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Most definitely I can.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz, can orbital habitats have their own spaceports?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pakled posted:

Research. Ctrl-F for "energy storage capacity" on this page to see the techs.

There should be way more of these techs though. If only so that I don't have to cash my energy in with the traders so damned often.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

At least on the surface. Mechanics wise it felt nothing alike, plus much worse. Firaxis seems to be incapable of teaching their AI how to play Civ games.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

Mostly they don't care, because it doesn't really affect sales much and you get about the same amount of poo poo from customers regardless of how good or bad your AI is.

It's more important for us because we want to keep people playing for years rather than releasing 1-2 expacks and being done with it.

And that's exactly why I'm still playing your games and will probably never buy another Firaxis game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

The way Civ games' AI works always seemed particularly weird to me, because if you're not going to teach the AI to actually play the game even vaguely competently, and the AI exists only to make the game challenging, then you might as well have the AI play the game by entirely separate rules which produce the desired challenge level for the human player. But no just give the crap AI more numerical bonuses and slap the human player with awful handicaps at higher difficulty levels, sounds good.

That's actually how original Civ worked (the AI didn't build stuff, it just got given stuff periodically), and everybody thought it was too crazy. Hence the introduction of those bonuses and penalties in Civ2.

I have such mixed feelings about the Civ franchise; I really loved 2, SMAC, and 3, 4 was a bit of a miss personally (despite being an objectively great game, I just couldn't get over how stupid the square tiled map looked, you gotta rotate those squares). Then 5 is just a complete disaster kinda outta nowhere. Hexes were great, 1UPT was an interesting idea at least, but then the AI doesn't know how to use 1UPT at all, the maps are too small to manoeuvre with 1UPT (probably a big cause of the previous issue), and the tile yields and culture system force you to build either exactly four cities, or as many cities as humanly possible on every eligible square. You'd also see huge chunks of continents that the AI just never bothered to settle well into the late game. Then BE had pretty much all the same problems (with the new addition that the AI would suicide it's trade units into you over and over again giving you infinite free money).

Much nicer to play EU and CK, where the games have real depth and feel different on separate playthroughs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

I've basically completely recoded the sector AI in 1.5 to prevent unnecessary resource accumulation, and the new tooltip I added shows you exactly what they are planning to do with the resources they have.

I want to add a 'prioritize happiness' setting if there's time, too.

Wiz posted:

Sectors no longer make any decisions over slavery or purging in 1.5.

This stuff is easily my most awaited feature in 1.5. Keep killing it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I'm brand new to this game and need some advice! I'm sandwiched between 3 civs and 1 of them is huge and hostile. I'm friendly with the other 2 and have a defensive pact with one. The big hostile empire is encroaching on my space but I don't have the forces to go to war, what should I do? Do i expand in another direction and try and eventually gain a military advantage or can I go about this diplomatically?

Conquer the 1 smaller one you're not allied with. Then conquer the other one. Then conquer the big one.

The AI is not particularly aggressive, nor are they particularly great at managing their fleets. Assuming you can get to at least 'equivalent' fleet strength, you can probably defeat them, or at the very least run your fleet around tediously for 10 years while they chase you, until they eventually agree to a white peace having achieved nothing (wormholes make this really easy).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I just learned that making multiple defensive pacts really sucks when your opponent decides to declare on your smallest ally instead of you, meaning that no one else in your defensive alliance is actually going to help.

The most human of moves.

Still, I feel like Defensive Pacts are almost pointless in this game past the very beginning, it's not hard to outbuild even an advanced start AI.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

It doesn't seem fair that they can declare war on another guy to seize MY planets and thus get around my defensive pacts.

That's perfectly fair. Do you not do it to the AI? Alliances, defensive or otherwise should be a liability as well as a source of strength.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serf posted:

I wonder how this will work. Like if my science ship can't survey a queued system with enemies in it, will it then move on to the next system? What if there's no valid paths to the next system? Great feature, just curious as to how it will be implemented.

Presumably it would repath or abort if no safe path exists, which is the same behavior they show with auto-explore now.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz you gotta stop it with all these 1.5 tweets, my hype is already too real.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Poil posted:

Cannibalistic trait, lose growth speed if not consuming sentient beings?
Delicious trait, provides extra happiness when eaten?

No fanatic neutral? :(

Aren't the nomads labelled 'Despicable Neutrals' for not having ethics?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

When you're playing multiplayer, is the Infinite Machine reward limited to whoever can complete the quest first (or destroy it I guess?)? Just wondering if racing to find and interact with it is worth it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Stellaris: Needs more genocide.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

So I'm pretty terrible, how do I increase the number of planets I can colonize without penalty? Also: is it worthwhile to do so? Colonizing planets and building spaceports seems to be the most straightforward way to improve my military; that is my motivation.
There are repeatable techs that increase it (though you usually don't see them till the endgame if at all), and Pacifists have access to government types that do as well.

But you don't need to at all. Colonize absolutely everything that you can, and then stick extra planets into sectors. The sector AI isn't any good at managing them, but they're exactly as good as your competitors, so more planets is always better. I think F5 opens the menu to create and manage sectors.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If they all hate you already due to ethics or whatever, there's very little you can do about it. Best option is to rival some people they hate.

That said, I literally do not bother with diplomacy at all beyond vassalizing and making protectorates for influence. The AI doesn't expand or build fast enough to be threatening (the exception being starting next to Advanced Start Purifiers), so allies are just liabilities. I don't think I have ever formed a single alliance with an AI, ever. Federations are also comically limiting, so avoid that nonsense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The annoying thing is that I'm not allowed to make the demands the Fallen Empires are.

This one dickhead has totally built a colony where I intended to colonize; why can't tell him to burn it or face my wrath?

Because you're neither Collectivist or Xenophobic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

But I am a xenophobe!

just a, pacifist one :negative:
Set your policies to allow purging xenos.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do about an ascended fallen empire that wants to reclaim the galaxy, when they're flying around with multiple 100k + strength fleets? I had a fleet that big and I beat one of their fleets then they brought 3 more and kicked my rear end. I'm rebuilding but it's relatively slow and now I see a 173k power fleet jumping into my system and that's gonna kick my rear end.

Everyone is at war so nobody can engage in diplomacy, so there's just kinda nothing to do. I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing this when it first came out, the endgame just peter's out into nothing.

Do you have Psi Jump Drives? Just run your fleet around in a never ending circle while they chase you for 10 years, then sign a white peace and go back to hulking up.

Regenerative Hulls are great on Cruisers and Battleships I thought though?

They are, right up until you find some living metal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

So here's a newbie question: How do I tell a sector to purge all the goddamn xenos? I set it to purge and it doesn't seem to be doing it at all.

Sadly you cannot. Worse, if you start purging them and then hand the planet to a sector, the sector will always cancel the purge (in my experience anyway). The Utopia expansion has a bunch of different fixes for this.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Coolguye posted:

the two FEs are the xenophile and the spiritualist, which is obnoxious because this is my Suffer Not the Alien run; the xenophile one will have a real problem with me purging half of my client nations, which was ostensibly my plan for a while.

See you'd think that, but they actually don't really care at all, it's kinda weird.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Coolguye posted:

doesn't literally everyone get a -80 genocidal malus if you butcher an entire race

All the regular empires will hate you sure, but who cares about that. The Xenophile FE will barely even notice; one of the perks of the dismissive attitude.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I wish they made federations a thing a player would actually want to be part of :(

I like this Diplomacy Tree, for I can rest easy knowing I will never want to pursue it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

More dumb newbie question:

Why shouldn't I just build fleets consisting of {biggest_ship}? I've been reading stuff and people are talking about how they've got corvettes in with their battleships and I don't understand why :downs: it seems like big ships are just a flat upgrade, given they have more damage per unit of fleet strength

At lower tech levels this is basically what you want to do. In the middle game Destroyers are basically just better than Corvettes, and Cruisers are better than Destroyers. The paradigm shifts a bit once you approach the top of the tech tree; battleships are great because you can fill them with Large mount weapons with huge ranges, but then if you fight someone with a lot of Destroyers and Corvettes (which Large weapons are terrible at hitting), then you need support ships around.

That said, you can definitely get away without corvettes, and all-Cruiser setups can be very effective as well.

• Locked thread