Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Xae posted:

Stellaris: To Serve Man

Mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

The thread title must be good because haha it's triggering the hell out of people.

That's not what the word triggered means.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

BadOptics posted:

:same:. I despise the dude and voted against him, but if a simple "Make [X] Great Again" joke title causes you to meltdown please seek help.

The problem here is that the joke has been done, and it's frankly not funny in light of current events, to the point where even the gamdevs don't like it.

So:

RabidWeasel posted:

The problem is we already did this joke, I demand original content :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

As my trek towards birds dominance over the universe continues, I mull over the thought of a large, empty galaxy with like, one or two other species - or none! - How viable would that be?

I mean, my favorite thing in this game so far is faffing about exploring things, and I kind of miss trade routes from Civ V, so...I'm kind of at a loss with what to do about other species and empires, especially as I'm still struggling to build a fleet that can crack the 1k power mark.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

oddium posted:

if they're cute let them in and give them voting rights. if they're ugly purge them

I went to war with the ugly ones and teamed up with a nearby empire to break them up and it was great! ...Except for my tiny fleet, but heyo, I got a lot of debris to scan.

uber_stoat posted:

there's a mod called Fermi Paradox that allows for that. you can have the galaxy be empty or just populated by primitives that you can Probe til your heart's content. I don't know if it has been kept up to date with the latest patch tho.

Hey, thanks! I'll go google it. :D

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm getting real mad at how this game handles combat: doomstacks. Every time I think I've got enough ships to go push some alien tentacle in, they pop out with a 3k fleet and smear me all over the quadrant. Then I go online to find a guide on how to win at combat, and the first advice is to turn off the auto-complete option for ship designs, and - argh!

This is an obtuse, frustrating mechanic where I need to have the best doomstack with the best weapons, and it's really, really tedious. :argh:

....So of course, I've come here to ask for tips. What's the best up-to-date guide on how to get good at combat? Can I leave auto-complete on and focus on pumping out cruisers?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wait, wait wait wait. If 3k is considered tiny, early-game tier stuff, and that's what I have to work with....how far through this game am I? I've got five colonies and a sector, I've scouted roughly half of my galaxy...

For reference I've been playing Civ V/Endless Legend on standard lengths. Have I even left the early game? :psyduck:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I finally bit the bullet and got the game.

Whats the best way to start the game and be confused and horrified? Is there a space Ireland/Ottomans to use CK2/EUIV metaphors?

Have they followed the fine example of their later games and included a tutorial or is this going to be one of those "the best way to learn to swim is to jump into the pool" deals?

There's a tutorial! It walks you through almost everything without being intrusive. I liked it!

Honestly, just make the coolest looking alien you want and play. I made a bird empire full of peaceful explorers and so far it's been neat - I'm still really bad at learning how to conduct war, but that's fine, I've got some strong allies to lean on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Wiz posted:

I've basically completely recoded the sector AI in 1.5 to prevent unnecessary resource accumulation, and the new tooltip I added shows you exactly what they are planning to do with the resources they have.

I want to add a 'prioritize happiness' setting if there's time, too.

This is the single coolest thing to me about the upcoming update - I like the idea of sectors but haven't been using them as I'm wary of the reported problems with them, so this is fantastic. (Well, using them when I have to because I want more planets, but you know what I mean.)

That said, my god this game is great. I'm a roleplay-heavy type who tries to play my individualist collectivists as they are, and it's fun! This game is just really good for whiling away the hours as I try to swipe a resource-rich planet from my neighbors - and unlike Civ V, I don't wind up in these loops where I make a few mistakes, get clowned on by the AI, and get mad. Instead it feels more...organic? Or, rather, more fun to play.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lexorin posted:

I'd like to see a trait that's randomly handed out in a game that makes one race (not necessarily the PC) completely repulsive in all ways to another race (also not necessarily the PC). It should be a one way street though. That race just happens to embody everything that the other race finds disgusting and the other race refuses to deal with them in any way outside of genocide, or, in the case of pacifists, just ignoring them. The race with the trait wouldn't see the affected race any differently then it sees an unaffected race. Affected race get's a ground combat negative against them because of all the vomiting.

Conversely, a trait that makes a random race extremely attractive in all ways to another race. The affected race will refuse to go to war and will yield to all but the most extreme diplomatic requests.

Maybe it only shows up in one of ten games or something, but it'd be an interesting wrinkle. Also, this could affect minor races or fallen empires.

I couldn't see it as a bought trait, just one that's randomly applied when one race meets another. It'd be super weird if the ugly race also happened to be delicious, "We hate everything about them, but they're so flavorful!". Like having arachnophobia but thinking that deep fried spiders are the best snack ever.

That's...really....

If you really, absolutely must have a racist species, try the VUX from Star Control 2. They're specifically repulsive to humans, and repulsed by humans, and the only exception in their species is seen as a weirdo. Have fun with his quest!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Given the current political climate, it felt really good to reform my empire so we can't forcibly resettle or purge any pops. It felt right. We're still working on building up resources and making a great fleet, but....we're a decent, good empire that will spread throughout the stars and crush its enemies. :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

LordMune posted:

There's always going to be some jank in Stellaris due to a multitude of factors that would each, in isolation, make it impossible to eliminate unintended behavior to the degree that I would like. Everything from available manhours to wrangling a system meant for [is it the 15th century and are you fighting france y/n] in a randomized galaxy...

I'm impressed the game works at all - and thankful. It's been incredibly soothing for me lately, and I'm very happy to have it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

fondue posted:

I just started playing the game, I come from an experience of playing Civilization and this game looks like a fun. What Let's Plays would you recommend for someone starting out? I've started a game on easy mode to try to understand the interface and gameplay and I'm still struggling to understand where my queue's are and how to direct my fleets to do things.

I don't know about LPs, but: to direct your fleets around, be certain you've selected them so their portrait is up, and right-click on wherever they need to go. This works on the galaxy map as well as the pretty zoomed in map: right click on stars to send 'em there, go into the system to send 'em to specific areas.

Miners and scientists have a nice drop-down menu if you right-click on a star that'll tell you if they can survey/do a research project/build stuff.

Queues are located in the spaceports, usually.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

...It seems at odds that there's just nothing to do if you're at peace, but war is finicky and difficult to deal with.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

And after eating it we'll then endlessly complain how it needs to be improved.

Listen, I didn't buy this game to play it, I bought it so I could complain about it. :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dark times at Paradox:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/827465318444462080

https://twitter.com/RikardAslund/status/827473262137454594

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/829660044971143168

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

LordMune posted:

Fake Edit: Was going to link to the dev diary but I know when I've been beaten.

I'm really, really excited for Banks, okay. Can't believe I bought this game in time for the most intense teasing I've ever seen in my life!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/____severine/status/830599780636045313

Okay fess up is this real?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This game never fails to entertain! :allears:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zore posted:

I don't get it?

https://twitter.com/iamkindacody/status/745072115561291777

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I made a mistake in my iron man game and went to war with a species with a bigger fleet than mine, and my allies aren't very warlike....

And then before I realized it I'm back at war with another species and :rip:

Might need to just give up the ghost and start a new game....

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I will not rest until all cat-like species are not allowed to start from wet planets. They really hate water. :colbert:

Okay, actual serious suggestion: can we get a basketball league so I can prove that Earth is truly the greatest empire?

Mix the mecha request and the basketball request and get some Basquash! going?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SplitScreenGamer posted:

I've been thinking of getting Stellaris if only for the Star Trek mod. What do people who've played it think?

You don't even need the Star Trek mod to play as Starfleet. Make a bunch of humans, make them peace-loving and so on, and voila. Warpdrives are already in the game, and you can form a federation and go be peace-loving...or not.

I mean, the game doesn't yet have much to do while at peace with the galaxy, but Banks sounds like it'll fix that.

Alternatively you could declare a war-happy alien species Klingons and go to war with them, it's doable!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/832197061302947841

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/832541703051571200

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Play the game as-is so when improvements come they'll be even more jaw-dropping!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/833640469531914240

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/RikardAslund/status/833934724498219010

hive minddssssss

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/833960659700293632

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

Finally, the Umgah will serve the Spathi. As it was always meant to be.

Oh come on, we're clearly going to play as the Spathi fleeing from the Evil Ones, and carefully migrate our pops off of our homeworld while the Evil Ones roam freely!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Do...they not read the dev diaries?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nobody is more casual than me, the casualest of all casuals, and I want Stellaris to have two modes 'win' or 'lose'. You press win, you automatically win. You press lose, you still automatically win for being badass enough to press lose.

Add another button that lets me eat pops and I'm in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Kilravock posted:

I guess I am filthy casual for hating pointless clicking and grinding in games and wanting gameplay choices to be meaningful/valid/fun.

How the hell do these idiots think that the new government system is more casual? Looking at that screenshot, it looks like Wiz is creating more possible combinations for governments and unique empires with defining characteristics. Right now only a couple government are worth using without gimping yourself and that restricts your ethos picks. And if I want an empire to have a AI personality, I have to go the wiki and use a cretin set of traits, ethos and governments to create what I want.

I was worried that the new feature to adopt an ethos of a party mid game would not work with the current government system, but this looks like Wiz might of come up with a system that can change and adapt as an empire changes. Basically meaning your government is not some timeless unchanging entity, but instead can adapt with the situation and your pops over time, being more organic, living.

Maybe I am reading too much in a screenshot.

You can read the thread yourself, if you want!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834358123343335426

Hive minded:

- Disables tutorial
    - Immortal rulers
    - No happiness
    - No factions
    - Hive-minded pops can't survive in non-hive mind empires and viceversa
    - Can't follow psionic or synthetic
    - Can genemod species to become hive-minded

:slick:

I need this expansion so much.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RPS wrote up an article praising how good Stellaris is at Star Trek.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Actual repercussions from having different leaders ruling your empire helloooooo yes this will work nicely with roleplaying my rulers.

e: I have yet to read a thing about this expansion that I don't want, hot drat!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/837270181743321089

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/837776276886798336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I can't believe people are dumb enough to get offended by that tweet. Jesus

Never underestimate gamers

• Locked thread