Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

TG-Chrono posted:

This is not my thread title!

I didn't vote for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Kitchner posted:

I just think the problem with the ground combat right now is that a) it's a pain to micromanage, which could be solved with an 'army builder' but b) there's no meaningful choice, because once an invasion starts you don't usually have the time to send reinforcements or build more stuff on the planet.

Like if you go to Warhammer 40K lore as an example, it's a universe with epic scale fleet battles and epic scale land battles (literally), where even in a universe where a cruiser on it's own could, with enough time, wipe all life from a planet, the ground troops are really important and cool.

This is because there are very few instances where a planet is just totally captured in the space of like a month, and if that does happen it's usually some sort of surprise attack and the counter attack is a grinding war of attrition. The fleet part is then important because you need to protect your reinforcements or prevent enemy reinforcements.

Imagine there's a battle for a planet going on and it's like 10 times longer than it takes now. Your fleet has dropped off the armies so what does it do? Does it just sit there in orbit doing nothing just in case the enemy comes with reinforcements? or do you move onto the next planet? Likewise doe the enemy attempt to break through and drop reinforcements? Maybe it should be possible for your troop transports to make a break for the planet even while being attacked, with your fleet causing enough damage/trouble that while some transports die others get through and land.

If I actually felt there was a full scale war underway on the surface, buildings being destroyed, armies slowly being ground down and both sides hoping they get some reinforcements to break the deadlock, I would care more about armies. I mean i know it sounds boring if like every planet bordering your neighbour has a ground war going on, but that also means you need to divert resources and protect reinforcements on that border with your navy. All the coolest 40K stories are the big massive battles for key worlds where both sides have naval skirmishes constantly and manage to break through with supplies and reinforcements to fuel the ongoing war on the planet. I think if Stellaris can capture the feeling hat you're really fuelling a massive war by making sure they get supplies etc then that would be a start.

If troops were cheaper and easier to produce and wars against a defended planet turned into armageddon then yeah ground combat would be loving awesome. Having lightly defended convoys of troops funneling themselves into the meat grinder would be awesome. Its no longer *take 3 planets* its *spend the entire war trying to take a fortress world*, this would also make things like the strong trait way more relevant.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Nah endgame stuff needs to be beefed up or just do it in waves rather then 1 at a time. Unbidden should honestly keep trying to break in and establishing footholds until they succeed then you have to knock out their main gate to finally stop them. The scourge should hit a wide edge of the map with light forces to represent the scouts then have bigger and bigger fleets appearing until you get the whole hive fleet. The scouts will allow them to establish a presence while the hive fleet will be hammering at the gates.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i'd love to see planets with rampant overpopulation where building a colony ship at that point comes with a big happiness bonus. Add ethics divergence because weirdos begin crowding together and get overlooked. Add hive cities that raise the planet cap by like 4-5 and have them produce all resources but require a massive amount of food to function. A hive city is basically every building in 1 tile, its amount of things produced is only limited by population which you must now find a way to feed.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I'd love to see armies more conceptual in nature you merely say, "army group 1 attack this planet". There of course would be alerts like space defenses, planetary defenses, out of range, and upkeep cost. Make the combat long and drawn out so either side has time to respond before a planet falls and cause things like space superiority to affect upkeep cost. This way the defender could try to funnel their own army group into the fight at cost unless they send in ships and contest the space superiority.

Basically make armies a missile. You build the missile at the planet and customize it. You select its target and it launches and travels there on its own, have it spawn 4 cool looking troop ships that are there for purely early warning purposes. Unless you control the space around the missiles target it will likely not reach it. Its a fire and forget so once its in space you don't worry about withdrawing or garrisoning it. It will just return to its home planet and rebuild itself.

I'd love to see the defensive and troop related buildings on their own grid so the troop recruitment window would have its own grid where you'd stick things like clone vats, barracks, bunkers, and fortresses. This way you wouldn't interfere with the normal planet buildings and you could invest in fortress worlds. There's defensive buildings that almost never get used so this way you'd have separate grids for them so why not?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy poo poo i can't wait to turn Sol into a crazy fortress system with habitats around every planet to fund the giant network of fortresses.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Had my first precursor world stolen out from under me because it spawned in a hostile neighbors space--it should really be a research project tied to only your empire so it can't be taken.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Materialist is just down right boring, yay robots everywhere and i've out paced the entire galaxy in tech by an insane margin. Theres a few psi spiritualist neighbors but my economy is just absurd and i'd curb stomp the poo poo outta them if it ever came to war.

The simple fact is robots grant an insane bonus because you can easily fill up a planet. Just because you believe in god doesn't mean you all of the sudden stop using toasters. Spiritualists should be allowed to use robots and droids but not synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Materialist is so boring, turned my entire pop into synths and now i might just start knocking neighbors down for fun.

• Locked thread