Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Yeah, but...

is the game good?

(yes, it is)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

We should get back on arguing what Authoritarian/Egalitarian really mean

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So uh, Awakened empires come slower on bigger maps? Because right now that is the main thing I'm waiting for.

On another news I'm starting to understand what everyone's gripes are with the war system. Even with ticking warscore mod it's pretty slow.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

The only time I've found land army forces to matter is when an event goes terribly wrong and a planet is invaded by titanic life or terraforming goes terribly wrong and hordes of ravenous mutants begin infesting my countryside. This is because, maybe due to bug, maybe mod, I found I still technically owned those planets, so I couldn't bombard them, and in turn the enemy was big enough that I needed an extremely substantial army to dislodge them - like, more then 30 troops, easily.

The last one was especially annoying because they put the planet on auto-purge to remove everyone, and the rest of my pops immediately began screaming at me for purging people even though I didn't purge them, it was the goddamn mutants

I was thinking that it might be better if the focus of ground troops would be switched from invading planets to protecting or keeping those planets.

Maybe make rebellions more dangerous so you actually have to prepare for them?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

To make this argument closer to the ship design one before, I guess I'll be the guy who says "I would not have played Stellaris if there was no ground combat", but Wiz already said it will stay even if reworked, so it really doesn't matter...

I know removing them might make the game flow more smoother and their very existence don't really have much relevance but just by feelings alone I don't really like when everything is solved with spaceships, especially in Stellaris where there is more focus on the population. Maybe it's just me but I feel like if we want to simulate intergalactic warfare, there should be more than just space combat.
Also, what's the point in enslaving the strong goat people to make them into your frontline troops if there is no ground combat?

I feel similarly towards the grid and pop system as well, I like it how it gives the feeling of an actual settlement with populations living in it (It does have the sideffect common in 4X games where it makes colonies look like single cities rather than planet spanning cities), where pure numbers and sliders would just make it feel empty.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

On the topic of ground combat: I've played a lot of space 4x games since the first Master of Orion, but I don't remember a single one with engaging ground combat. Which games did it better than Stellaris (which is not great, but adequate)?

Master of Orion 3

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I just like the concept of ground combat.

I was pretty annoyed by Sword of the Stars and other 4X games not including it after playing MMO3 in the past, so I was relieved when I heard Stellaris will come with ground combat. (and Stellaris ground combat looked more interesting than what it actually is in first glance)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

One of my bother with the game is that you are forced to expand quickly or you'll get boxed in and won't be able to expand for a long time.

Still, if you have some angry neighbours just find more and hopefully they'll be happy to ally with you even if temporary.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Since we are talking about mods and alphamod in particular, how does it handle the AI?

So far that was my biggest problem with many mods I tried out, they had good ideas and it would work for me but the AI would get confused and in best case they would just ignore the new feature and in worst case the AI would break.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't see spamming space habitats being something that's cost effective...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Even without the consumer goods, habitats cost minerals (currently 5k according to screenshots) which as the dev diary stated something that habitats are less efficient producing.

Kitchner posted:

I think the habitat counts as a planet, and since there's no way to abandon your own planet without purging everyone I don't think it would be necessary.

I've heard that some AI personalities start to purge their own planets when they are losing a war.

Bholder fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 26, 2017

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Purge from orbit, AKA, terraform

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Starting next to a xenophobic FE is borderline restart worthy, but if you settle away from them you might get something out of it.

Also if you can destroy any of their ships you could get some early jump drives which is amazing.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I hope there is an achievement where you put Dyson spheres on all stars in the galaxy.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Clearly, we need diplomatic marriages and personal unions.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I liked how psionics were a spiritualist thing but it seems every other ethics are losing their unique techs as well.
I guess it's fine to make traditions the main way to give "uniqueness" to the empire if it can also result in a more flexible ethos system, and it's more customisable.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I found that building nothing but Battleships is not a very good idea.

While they are tanky and good against other Battleships, they really cannot deal with smaller ships.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm annoyed because I just started an evil-psychic elf campaign, and now we get info on how we can can go full Eldar...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Truga posted:

They do say dog is man's best friend.

We already have cat portraits where are the dog/wolf ones?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I was hoping if you go full psychic you could become a hivemind as an option.
Maybe even with going full robot.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

I thought it said they get auto-purged. Did I imagine that?

Yes, but purging is not instant and you'll apparently get the option to give pops the hivemind trait, basically assimilating them.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Zurai posted:

I don't think that's what was said. Unless I'm mis-remembering (entirely possible), you're able to add the hivemind trait to your own species with the gene-engineer ascendancy. I don't think anyone ever made the claim that you could incorporate other species into your hive-mind.

The quote says "can genetically modify species to become hive minded if Biological Ascension Path is completed", but yeah, it doesn't specify which species.
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/834358123343335426

Although it's also amongst the list of traits the Hivemind has so it does sound like something you can do to other species, but only if you have the hivemind ethos.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It makes sense to me that a hivemind pop would not survive outside the hive mind, it's like removing an organ from the host.
Maybe we can use gene therapy to remove the hivemind trait, becoming the ultimate democratic crusader.

Only weird edge case would be when two hiveminds trade pops, but maybe that was also taken care of somehow, who knows...

All our questions will be answered an hour or so anyway.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

This would make sense if you were talking about migrating hivemind pops around different planets, but not with them just staying where they are, like when you conquer one of their planets (until the new empire moves in and starts messing around with their business).

There's no 'logical' reason (as far as goofy sci fi concepts go) that a hive mind couldn't be friendly pacifist xenophiles and be like "sure some of our drones/borg/cells will live on your planet and help you out" but if you allow them to coexist with non hiveminds I agree that it's difficult to think of ways in which a hive mind would play differently other than removing factions/happiness and removing mechanics and content is not interesting. The problem with differentiating hive minds is that you can already get total social control (over how your pops think and what they do) with repressive government policy.

Maybe hiveminds could retain control over their pops even when in other empires? I just want the option for hive mind pops in my non hive mind empire specifically so it can go horribly wrong in some way (or to play a "friendly" hive mind which conquers by signing migration treaties with everyone...)

Pretty sure you can still play as a xenophile hivemind, I don't think there was a mention about limiting your diplomatic options (other than migration I would assume) so you can still join federations and help out this way. Maybe when the big federation re-make comes hive-mind members will be handled somehow differently.

An option to peacefully integrate people into the collective would be interesting though.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I was about to joke about starting an argument about the ethics of changing the hive mind trait of a pop...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I find it funny that the game would break without the ability to insult each other.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So I had an event where some mutants took over one of my planets, and the game won't seem to let me bombard the fortifications down so I can recapture it. Is there a way to bombard a friendly occupied planet that I'm not seeing or should I just get used to not having that planet anymore?

Send more troops

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I wish there would be "purist" factions, who would oppose turning them into robots or changing their traits

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The war system is mostly problematic late game, early on you can gobble up entire empires if they are just 2-3 planets big.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

It's... interesting how tight lipped they are about this from one director to another and after almost a year.

We might see it or at least parts of it one day, as a different game maybe.

But talking about what-ifs is kind of a bad idea because that would just make us wish they would rather make that game than what we got since it always sounds much better than the reality.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't think removing what little strategic choices we have already is a good idea

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I don't really get the reason for downright removing ship customization, rather than maybe simplifying or streamlining it when this is the main reason the combat has something beyond "the bigger army wins".

Even movement inside systems could be made more important if there would be something like a formation system so flanking might actually mean something, or when you go FTL make ships move to the edge that is the closest to the destination system.
Or just seperate systems into multiple tiles to make it easier to deal with, you could even add terrain modifiers to these tiles.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I mostly want a counter for doomstacks that is not just a bigger doomstack. Best way to counter them would be to split them up and this already happens in the game if said doomstack comes from the united fleets of a federation and their fedetation fleet, if only we could split up a single empire's fleet in a similar fashion.
I agree it should be more about giving more reasons to split the fleet, I'm already tend to make a secondary fleet to deal with stragglers while my main one assaults them upfront.

I also like the idea of making fights less absolute, maybe make it a chance that a defeated ship won't blow up but becomes inoperable (not sure how FTL would work but whatever) or unable to contionue combat. I remember some more realism based tactical space combat simulators you would rarely see ships exploding but they would just give up and stop fighting at one point. I know Stellaris only selectively relies on realism but it can be another excuse.

Or just go full CK2 and make the diplomacy better to compensate.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh come on, not like this is the first time it happened.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Space Monster posted:

Great patch notes overall. The empire customization features look incredible.

However,

This sucks. This sucks a lot. I play this game almost exclusively with other people (AI is dumb as a rock and provides little challenge unless on insane---and then it's a matter of luck as to who your neighbors are) and the meta has been slaver/conqueror empires since the game released. Rushing has been the best strategy (in single-player too) if you really want to win, and so a nerf to colonization time seriously increases the window in which rushers have to absorb their less aggressive neighbors.

Maybe all the rest of the changes will have a load of stealth nerfs against that sort of meta, but I honestly doubt it and while the patch/expansion overall looks amazing, this one change will probably keep the multiplayer scene stale.

Other changes actually improve building tall so even if you get boxed in by neighbours you can get strong enough.

I think somebody even said that pacifist might be too op in this patch...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Space Monster posted:

I think people are going to have a hard time building tall when their neighbors invade before 2210.

I thought early wars are hard thanks to the superstrong spaceports

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It makes sense that hive mind pops die out if you take part of their empire, since they would be pretty useless without them hearing the hivemind. When you take over the entire empire however is when things get interesting. Even then it would seem hiveminds should be like an autonomous group that acts separately from the rest of your empire in gameplay terms I would keep them as vassals, so I don't see this getting improved until we get a better vassal system or maybe a better sector system.

Even the other way around, you really cannot be part of a hivemind empire unless you are part of the collective. The exception I can think of is maybe as slaves, but I'm not too sure about that either. Wiz did say he wanted to include an option to deport pops instead of eating them if you want to play good-guy Hivemind, so maybe we'll see that soon.

Also the most obvious option I think is to give us the ability to remove/add the hivemind trait earlier.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

But even looking at it from this direction, it's not clear why having to refrain from operating your drones on certain planets (which is how losing a war to take planets away probably looks to a hive mind) means that those drones are actually cut off from the hive mind. It's a psychic link, not a political one.

I could argue that the link was cutoff voluntarily or by space magic, still the game rules state that those pops are not under your control and hivemind pops have no will on their own so they just die out.

Best case would be to make them a constantly rebelling, but that sounds more annoying than anything.

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure about this either, because yeah you can't join the mind without being genetically modified, but that's different from whether you can continue to live in territory the hive controls. The hive's drones apparently require similar infrastructure in terms of housing and consumable goods that non-hive beings do. The hive mind is an intelligent entity. It could probably work something out in terms of setting ground rules and building infrastructure.

That is why I said slaves at most because even then these people would be less than second hand citizens. Or, again we can hope for a future vassal/sector rework and put them in an autonomous sector as a vassal, since they should live secluded from the hivemind.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

Heh.

It could be the difficulty I'm playing at, but do fallen empires seem smaller? Most of the ones I bump into now are only 1-2 worlds rather than the 5-6 they were previously.

I think it's random or depended on the type of the FE, but I remember seeing 1-2 world large FE on last patch as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Aethernet posted:

There should definitely be some sort of diplomatic penalty called 'Opportunist Dickheads' that anyone who jumps on someone who's lost their fleet fighting a crisis should get.

But that's every AI

• Locked thread